Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had a car go straight through a turning lane beside me off a light and almost hit me because the single lane on the other side of the intersection lines up with the turning lane.

they honked when i carried on into my lane because i didn't expect someone to be cruising in my blindspot in a non-existent lane, although i usually check just in case.

I ended up in front of them, and they floored it and passed me on a narrow residential street just to show me how inconvenient it was that i didn't cater to their lovely driving.

There are 4 loving turning lane signs on the road, and one on the street light because people are irredeemable shitheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Midjack posted:

lmao this is the top side outer loop of the DC beltway at the 495/270 interchange, just about everyone on that stretch of road is an absolute fuckface and I'm surprised I haven't seen this happen before.

just about everyone on every stretch of road is an absolute fuckface

I don't think i've ever been driving and thought "I can just follow the rules of the road as they're written and feel safe" It's always "each and every one of these fuckers is on the verge of doing something insanely stupid that puts me in danger"

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 11, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Plot twist: he owns a windshield shop

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.
Spotted today:

This guy was a loving contractor, which suggests he does this pretty much every day. The trailer was also riding on the bumpstops and had no signal lights or brake lights.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm curious what the strap is anchored to up top.

You can see the strap over the hood. it's either going to the front bumper/crossmember, or completely encircles the vehicle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Came out of the Costco and noticed this.

Can't loving have nice things. Can't even have moderately mediocre things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This was interesting.

They're doing construction work on a bridge here, so have contra-flow for the length of the bridge, the entrance to which is about 15 car lengths after a major intersection.

Normally they would have one lane as marked closed ahead, and everybody would merge way too early into the other lane loving up traffic, this time they have big orange signs on both sides that just say "ZIPPER MERGE AHEAD" and "ABNORMAL MERGE AHEAD" and then when you get up to it, standard "merge" signs on both sides of the road as the lanes come together. and go into the contra-flow to stop people from merging too early and wasting a whole bunch of good lane.

People figured it out quite quickly and everything went smoothly with no problems.

AAAAAAAAAAHH just kidding, people still tried to look ahead to figure out which lane they're "supposed to be in", and hosed up the traffic trying to change lanes in the middle of the intersection anyways.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 24, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These are the drivers we share the dollar store with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

->

->

->

It felt like a decent shunt but all i got was some paint transfer. (the bump strip has been bent forever)

It was a pretty rapid cycle of emotions. From "oh poo poo, someone just hit my lincoln" to "wait, there's no damage, not a big deal" to "oh poo poo, that guy got punted into me."

5mph bumpers work, kids.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoWake posted:

There's one I pass that flickers red/blue to catch your eye just before switching to the next slide in rotation, they absolutely know what they're doing. If your city or county has any balls they would have some regulations to enforce on the allowable brightness of road signs. If not, some regulations should be proposed at the next board meeting, voted on, enacted, and then fines imposed.

Alternate is going :black101: to the pedestal for everybody else's benefit.

There's a hitch store that just constantly flashes red and blue here and it always catches me off guard.

The whole sign is LEDs

https://i.imgur.com/WtlSntw.mp4

On that subject though, I'm quite bothered by the most psychotic drivers in the city who feel like they can run red lights and go at whatever speed they want now driving Tahoes and F-150s everywhere.

Cops should get priuses and smart cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco parking lot pop quiz

Before you can take somebody's parking spot they will:

A. Disappear upon sitting in the drivers seat like they filled a row in tetris
B. Phase through the car parked in front of them
C. Need somewhere to back out of the spot into.
D. Disappear faster if you honk

Once a car has left a parking spot, how many cars can then park there

A. 3
B. 2
C. 1
D. Honk

The fire lane in front of the store is for:

A. Parking to load things
B. Parking to run in for a few things quickly
C. Not for parking at all
D. Honk honk

The correct answers: HOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/X9MoGhn.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

they will be penalized for using extra gas and also being late, even if they lose less time and fuel than getting stuck would have been

They're also paid by the mile, and are sitting there for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

A hit and run of sorts, but as long as he reports the incident, he can continue to be unbothered by the jackass that pit-ed himself into a barrier because there's no shoulder or area to stop and exchange information, right?

My personal experience was when I swerved and ended up knicking a newish Infiniti that decided to stop on the highway because he missed his exit. I didn't notice that I'd hit anything until I got home, so I went to the police station the next day. After assuring the officer on duty that I really wanted to admit to a crime, I gave a statement that contradicted what was called in by the other driver minutes after the event. I don't know if it was because I turned myself in, because the cop saw my that my car had a dashcam, or both, but I never heard about it again, not even from the other guy's insurance

Thankfully they didn't ask to see the dashcam footage, because I didn't find out the cheap thing was busted until I tried pulling the clip of the strike and found out every file it had been saving was hours of pitch black silence instead of 15 minute clips of driving

IIRC, It is illegal to stop on the bridge if your vehicle is still mobile. You get to the end of the bridge and pull over.