Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bad drivers! Roads that break down!

Also goddamn, that airbag. They really are super fast, took me a couple watches to realize what that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Midjack posted:

Same, I thought he bashed his head into the window and shattered it the first couple of watches.

Yeah, was all "Wait, if window closed to be shattered...how did hat fly out?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

See also: all those videos in sudden snowstorms where idiot drivers bail out of their car and flail around on the icy ground as the car sloooowly slides into an unoccupied, parked car and a city bus is sliding down the street right behind them.

Belted in to the driver's seat of a modern car is a very safe place to be, but panic or rage can just make that fact disappear completely from a person's view. Also stupidity.

The fear/panic reaction can make you do a lot of poo poo that's very stupid if you take even a moment to think about it.

One of the most shocking examples came from the OSHA thread I think. Watched a helmet cam shot from a SCUBA diver who had one of his partners suddenly have a panic attack underwater. It's horrifying watching multiple divers converge on a woman who's lizard brain is making her panic and rip off her goggles and mask and oh hey now instead of her having a weird thing in her mouth that her panicked lizard brain doesn't recognize even though it's providing her with live-giving air: she now has water in her mouth! Queue up two divers just taking panicked, fighting woman by the shoulders and rushing her to the surface as fast as possible while she tries to wriggle out of their grip and a third grabs her breather and holds the valve open to try to create air bubbles in front of her face.

Full on panic/rage can basically make parts of your brain shut down and you just don't notice things/your higher brain functions simply turn off.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Getting groceries yesterday and the guy to my left is an rear end and gives the car ahead of him approximately 0.002 seconds to advance after the light turns green before honking despite her being something like 4th in line. So guy in a truck is a bit of a jackass and was way too early on the "hey pay attention" toot, who cares?

Lady in the car proceeds to go absolute roadrage. She rolls forward 5 feet then stops for several seconds: blocking not just the truck behind her but everyone behind him. She then rolls up to just past the entrance to the intersection and sit there until the light nearly turns red to try to get the guy stuck waiting for another cycle. Truck pulls through while the light is orange and she's still pulling this poo poo as we're all stuck under the overpass. Truck tries to change lane and she just sits there for several seconds, not giving him the space to get into the next lane over around her.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

slidebite posted:

jfc it looks massive. Do they have their own refinery on site?

You should see their bathrooms. Buc-ees don't have so much of a bathroom and more of a "Grand poo poo-torium" inside that makes theater restrooms look puny. Each complete with their own dedicated cleaning staff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PenisMonkey posted:

I’m lost as to what problem this is trying to fix.

Legit: Not enough truckers who'll work at current market rates.

So say you have 8 trucks. Instead of needing 8 drivers, you can get away with 1 while the other 7 follow like little ducklings. Maybe 2 drivers if it's a long haul and you want them to be able to take a break and therefore continue without spending valuable company time at a rest stop. Either way it's a massive saving on manpower and helps keeps wages down because you only need so many truckers.

Now there's 1,001 reasons why this is a bad idea but let's not get into them since the rich people bankrolling it to keep wages down don't want to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Drove in similar conditions through Oklahoma to my grandfather's funeral.

Ahead of me a salt/plow truck just barely within my tiny bubble of visibility. Behind me a semi truck keeping me just barely within their bubble of visibility. Visibility was about...30-40 feet and there was no loving way the truck behind me could see the truck ahead of me.

One of the most terrifying moments of my life. If one of a dozen things had gone the slightest bit wrong my tiny little car would have been crushed between two different pieces of industrial equipment. And/or shot out into oncoming traffic on the other side of the 2-lane highway.