Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I don't understand Australian traffic laws and I don't know why half of the drivers in the videos are pulled over

Alright, driver. Says here in the Howard Wombat Herding Statues of 1992, subsection a, part II: no driver shall knowingly shout profanity at traffic in more than two (2) languages within a single (1) sentence. Now I, too, enjoy the gravely texture of Afrikaans curses while also appreciating the smooth nuance of Hindi mother-oaths. Either drop the Estonian or it's AUD200/swear. In the interest of fairness and equality, I think we can let that one go. I will be taking your license for doing 62 in a 60, though. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

See also: all those videos in sudden snowstorms where idiot drivers bail out of their car and flail around on the icy ground as the car sloooowly slides into an unoccupied, parked car and a city bus is sliding down the street right behind them.

Belted in to the driver's seat of a modern car is a very safe place to be, but panic or rage can just make that fact disappear completely from a person's view. Also stupidity.

This story from the most recent US invasion of Iraq always pops up in my head when this is mentioned: (paraphrasing)

"...and there I was driving my amtrac when an Iraqi hunter/killer team stepped out in front of me. I thought, "Nah, he's too close for the RPG-7 to arm." Then I remembered I was driving an amtrac and hit the gas."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I've never gotten a truck up off the ground, but I have sent a trailer flying. There used to be some incredibly rough spots down Waters Ave., heading towards Nevraska Ave., in Tampa, and I wasn't used to avoiding them yet. Beat to hell 2008 Silverado towing the worst piece of poo poo 14ft.x7.5 ft. two axle tailer. The truck bottomed out and I saw, in the mirror, the trailer fly up into the air and start to turn sideways. I think accelerating out of it worked ok. Didn't break the trailer, but I had to spend twenty minutes re-stacking everything and separating out crushed product. gently caress everything about everything on that route.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

carry on then posted:

Got to watch an older CR-V's right rear taillight cluster fall right off a few days ago in front of me. It was hanging on by the cable and flapping in the wind but I was completely prepared to dodge some debris until they put on their hazards and started moving to the shoulder.

Gonna guess it wasn't the first time that's happened to them.

Username/post.

I've never owned a Honda/Acura without at least one light that likes to pop out.

Meanwhile, this happened to me and the new fixture has been holding up just fine after putting a washer on either bolt. The outside, held in by posts in rubber grommets, is too far gone to fix:

That is the fifth taillight housing I've put on the truck in three years. Two to replace the cracked originals, two because people kept bumping into my poo poo at work, and one more from the accident. Curiously, the bulbs and circuit boards have stayed the same.

Oil changes: $250/year
Wipers: $50/year
Taillights: $100/year

Someone who is good at budgeting, help me. My truck is starving.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

I hate to break it to you but most trailers have suspensions.

A properly secured aircraft is fine being trailered. It’s done all the time. I, personally, have seen trailers specifically set up for hauling operable helicopters.

The French didn't have too much of a problem shuttling helicopters around on trucks and converted cars in Algeria, over what were charitably called "roads".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

the guy threw a water bottle at him (not sure if thats covered in the video)

he claimed the guy started shooting first smh

If I had a nickel for every time someone in Florida threw a piss bottle at me while working, I'd be $0.15 richer.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

carry on then posted:

Found myself face to face with my first wrong-way driver yesterday. Luckily I saw them pretty far away and had a lane to move over (and they didn't get target fixation and follow me) but what the gently caress? Wish I had a dash cam for that one.

Anyone deal with wrong way drivers before?

Yup. 12 years local delivery in Tampa Bay. Late night/early morning driving on some of the most dangerous roads in America. They do that pretty often. So often the configurable displays tell you, "Wrong Way Driver. Exercise Caution!"

Two going across the Howard Frankland bridge, one on SR60 in Brandon, one on North Dale Mabry Hwy, one entering an off ramp in Pinellas Park from 118th (I got that one to stop), and the one dude who fell asleep and launched his Neon across the median and almost speared my truck in the driver's door.

Dunno what to tell you. Drive something big, keep your head on a swivel, go right, and don't hesitate to just stop on the side of the road with headlights and flashers on.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

FWIW none of those accounts seem like real people, weird bot harassment

If he wasn't at fault and nothing hit him, then he has no reason to stop right?

Sounds like he called it in and forwarded the video to highway patrol which seems like the right move when your wife and kids are in the car. It does not look like there is anywhere protected to pull off for quite a ways in his video.

I think you have a correct interpretation of the event.

Even if you could pull over, are you sure there is something you can do? Are you sure there is something you can do that would not make it worse? Is your vehicle going to be in the way of other travellers or emergency vehicles (I see this a lot around here)?

Is there a safe place to stand if you exit your vehicle? Some countries insist that, upon exiting a vehicle on the highway, you don a yellow vest and retreat behind crash barriers (metal or concrete). Every time someone has crashed into me, I've had to grab them by the clothes and gently move them onto the sidewalk; "Hey, let's get off the road. You OK?"

Some of these things I was trained for in one of my driving jobs. Protect the patient, any passengers, and yourself, before rendering aid. Stop when safe and call in, even if others stop, even if no one is around.

You won't even be trading injuries if something bad happens, you'll just get hurt, too. Worse, you could cause someone else to be hurt.

That said: I've always stopped when safe and gone back. It's almost always either been, "Yeah, that's a dead motherfucker.", or, "They're fine, help is on the way." The one that wasn't became an inferno immediately. No amount of anything could have saved that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I'm betting South Africa.

Vatican City.