Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you find a better thread, shove it up your ugly rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero One posted:

It's a Jeep thing.

"Parting it out, bro?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've seen it.

It's less funny when you're seeing it pour out the filler neck of your own truck because the seal on the gas cap has given the gently caress up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I'm in the outside lane on one of these I just turn wide by default. Especially on one that is really poorly laid out that dumps people into a right turn only lane that ends in just over a tenth of a mile.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Is safety and training really stressed in off-roading communities?

It is in certain groups, not in others.

I'm assuming this person was a solo vehicle because while I've seen some bad decision making in groups, I've never seen a group running a trail literally all go the wrong way on something as well known as that trail.

Also from what I've seen, that pass is not actually all that demanding in terms of vehicle performance (articulation, etc) in good conditions like this. The difficulty and danger is entirely wrapped up in how tight and narrow the trail is, combined with the extremely high penalty for loving up. That Bronco Sport may well have been able to make it across the trail, driven the right direction by a competent driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Black Bear isn’t too bad, but the Bronco Sport, especially with stock tires, is going to have a real poo poo time on the steps. Other than there and a little bit on the switchbacks it’s basically a gravel road.

https://youtu.be/t3t418vM3jI?t=3m55s

3m55s if it doesn’t work

I mean it all depends on your tolerance for underbody damage but it seems like the biggest rocks around 7:50 and 9:50 could be accomplished with extremely careful spotting and maybe some rock stacking.

Now I'd also expect that to come with pant-making GBS threads terror.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ehhh, I have a hard time calling the BMW driver a complete and total idiot. They definitely made the situation worse by how fast they approached the intersection, and I'd say he was planning on going full dick move by more or less buzzing the back bumper of the fuckwit in the truck who turned left in front of him. What he didn't expect was that the truck driver was so stupid as to be towing a trailer while also making a late and slow left turn across traffic.

BMW should have (and could have) kept it to within the lane occupied by a semi that isn't moving, but I don't think their (admittedly late) "avoid the accident" choice was wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

I "instructed" for Tire Rack's Street Survival teen driving program once and I thought the most valuable exercise was the "steer while braking hard" one. We started them off with straight-line braking to get a feel for ABS and then had them accelerate towards a cone, brake hard, and then steer left or right while continuing to brake. They weren't told/shown which way until they were already hard on the brakes. It's truly one of those things that a new driver isn't going to understand until they experience it.

I did an exercise at Bondurant like this once, except they had a light setup and three lanes. You were supposed to maintain speed up to a point when the light would come on for an "obstruction" and you'd have to either dive right or left without braking, or brake and stay center.

As a bonus it was actually soaking wet the day we did this. The stated goal of the exercise was to show that even compared to a full ABS panic stop, swerving into a clear lane would get you into a safer space in less distance than stopping in the obstructed lane.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't attempt water even remotely like that in my Jeep, and I've driven axle-deep in not-flowing-water without so much as a second thought.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How much poo poo has that front yard seen that it needs what look to be loving Armco barriers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saukkis posted:

All this talk has been about 3 on the three, but how about transmissions with more gears, I would assume those were around for longer. I remember driving a relative's Nissan pickup around the end of 90s with 5-speed column shifter. That pickup thought me to appreciate diesel when I misshifted from second to fifth and the only issue was a slower acceleration.

These never ended up in the US; every manual Nissan pickup I've ever seen had a floor shifter. 4+ speed manuals with column shifters in the US were very rare to begin with, and I'd wager at this point the majority of US-market cars and trucks that were sold with three-on-the-tree have either been converted (to an auto, or to a floor shift manual) or scrapped.

Weedle posted:

at work we had a 2009 chevy express with a column shifter that we just got rid of. we all loving hated that thing. i wanted to roll it off a cliff but my boss said no

Column shift automatics aren't going away until there aren't automatic transmissions to put in trucks and vans anymore.