Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pulling over on a freeway in that situation as a bystander is at best probably not that helpful and at worst will be very dangerous.

I’m on a volunteer SAR team, during a wilderness first aid class the local fire chief (also one of the instructors) was discussing the differences in responsibility in situations like that when acting as a civilian vs a first responder (e.g. when out on a call, in a team vehicle, etc) and was pretty direct that not only do you not have a responsibility to stop as a civilian in a case like that but it’s also a bad idea, and that he wouldn’t himself either and would instead call in help. He shared multiple recent examples from nearby freeway incidents where someone stopped to assist someone, got killed, and the person they stopped to help was fine.

He added that it’s gotten to the point where if there’s an accident on the interstate and the ambulance is the first to arrive, they won’t stop, and instead will drive past and circle back until either CHP can provide a traffic break, or a much larger truck from the FD can act as a protective barrier.

If y’all would stop and help at your own risk, go for it, but I don’t think not doing so is worthy of criticism. It’s pretty straightforward in situations like that that the number one priority is your own personal safety; adding an injury won’t help anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The freeway has been closed from Reno, through my town and over the pass since Friday. CHP Truckee Instagram account is a good follow for bad driver content.