Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

ExecuDork posted:

Coming from Canada to Aus, no major problems but it took a couple of days to really settle the relevant habits like which door to open to get in and drive. But for the first few months, if I was on a road with no other traffic (dirt roads in national parks, for example) I would sometimes catch myself driving on the wrong side. Fortunately I always corrected myself before it graduated from "mistake" to "emergency". With traffic, you just follow the car in front of you, it's no problem. My wife and I still sometimes remind each other "left! go left!" when we're out driving and there's nobody else around.

My wife and I had a similar buddy system when we went to Scotland and did the Northcoast 500. There is a lot of single lane road if you're doing that trip and it can be easy to forget to go to the left side of the road when it opens back up. Also for like a major road trip kind of vacation spot there wasn't a lot of traffic around either which, as people have mentioned, is an easy way to forget which side of the road you're supposed to be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Counterpoint: all four wheels came off the ground at the same time. Most cars never see that kind of action.

Yeah credit where credit is due. Though, I'd say the driver caught air while driving over the raising draw bridge, not jumped the draw bridge. But I get it, a headline is supposed to be short, sweet and grab you.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't attempt water even remotely like that in my Jeep, and I've driven axle-deep in not-flowing-water without so much as a second thought.

To be fair he knew it was too deep to Ford that's why he tried an Audi.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

spillage of animal entrails was our first ep

Loved your single Cleanup [will take some time].

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Richard Bong posted:

I have an 86 944 and holy crap does it get hard to see what’s happening around me sometimes. I’m basically sitting on the ground and every car and especially trucks are massive vision blockers.

Plus a 944 has a pretty long hood on it so trying to peak into a hard to see around intersection is extra fun for you. I've got a Mini so I totally get the I can't see poo poo around taller vehicles problem. I recently bought a van for a second vehicle and I haven't had a tall vehicle in so long it was like putting glasses on I could see so much better.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

it didnt look that far over but i'm glad there's something in your country to enforce the rules.

cops here in the US wouldnt even raise an eyebrow much less do anything about it
Yeah I wouldn't say driver was 18" over the center line, looks more like a tire width but we can't see if he continued going over the line after the videoing cyclist. Either way he seems like an aggressive dick who hates cyclists and purposely made that spot a little tighter just for the sake of being a dick. Most of the time being a dick in the US isn't punishable so yeah, good for the UK I guess for nailing dickheads when they can.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

40 once you hit Texas is boring as gently caress but there's some cool views and stops before that. The only interesting stop in Texas is the steakhouse where you can try to do the 3lb steak eating challenge.

All of Texas is pretty poo poo if you're just driving through, but in my opinion OK is even worse. I'll say I kinda liked the 4 or 5 days I was in San Antonio for a trade show, probably 15 years ago or so. I live in MA and have done cross country a few times, one of which started in Northern Cali and I actually got to see a sign, Begin I-80. It's kind of demoralizing when you know you basically have to drive the whole length of it to get home. Going west from here it's like semi-interesting, except like I-80 in PA, until you hit Chicago and then after that you're in bore town. It's proof the Earth isn't flat because you can't actually see the Rockies from Chicago because there is nothing tall enough in the way to obscure the view.

Oh and for America is big as poo poo talk, I've done the southern routes across as well and if you go I-20 or I-10 you can literally wake up in Texas, drive for 10 hours, stopping only for food and fuel, and still be in Texas.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I once had a minor argument with a directional Stop & Shop gas station attendant. It wasn't crowded but all pumps that I could pull into were full. All others were empty. I reversed into a pump and got out and the lady came out of the booth and really aggressively told me it was directional and I can sit there all day but she isn't turning the pump on. I said that's fine but why can't I reverse into the pump and then reverse out of the pump as well? I'll still be going the right way just facing a different direction. I was then told to "try me". I just gave up and waited but I felt like I had a valid argument.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Devor posted:

I love the good journalistic practice of doxing the witness who spoke to reporters.

It was just his first name and where he works. I'm sure plenty of people named Nour work at that deli, it could have been any one of them.

For real hopefully he gave all fake information to the nice people at the NY Daily News who think it is appropriate to put the name and place of work of a witness to a daylight vehicular assault and armed robbery in a news article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I take sick amounts of joy in riding past stuck jeeps and trucks in my tiny FWD cars, properly sized snow tires are the best thing ever. With how heavy the CT is, I'd expect it to do better, but those are some really wide tires

I lived in rural NH for a winter at the top a good sized hill and the guy who's property it was had like an '87 Dodge Ramcharger, basically the K10 Blazer equivalent for Dodge. Anyway he would sometimes park at the bottom of the hill, or at a turnout halfway up and be like adamant if the Ramcharger couldn't make it, there was too much snow. We were friends with a guy who had like a '94 Jetta with studded snow tires and he would drive to the top of the hill every single time he came to visit us, often driving by the halfway parked Dodge. So much fun to watch the dude make excuses as to why the kid could do it but not him.

I do know some of it was technique though. The guy who had the Dodge definitely subscribed to the 'It's Going to Take a Whole Lot of Floorin' it to Get Out of This Mess' philosophy when it came to snow and ice.