Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure!

https://goo.gl/maps/9pYbZhb8rKLWbYrC6

THe streetview is from 2009 so obviously they installed the signs at some point since then. Uncontrolled intersections are pretty common here at least in the areas with less traffic. They wouldn't be bad if half of the drivers didnt' just assume that they have right of way if their road looks slightly wider, and of course there's some ambiguity if it's an intersection or someone's driveway or something. This though really hosed me up, I swear I'll take a photo next time I'm in the area.

Yeah your assessment was correct. Just because the road curves left (and you're obliged to turn left, in this case) does not give you priority, and as this is an uncontrolled intersection the generic 'traffic from the right has priority' rule applies.

That's not to say that this isn't very poor design in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's because it's not true - by default liability lies partly with the driver of the vehicle but if there is proof like dashcam footage that the cyclist ran a red light or obviously did something else wrong, then you absolutely can get that liability shifted onto the cyclist or pedestrian.