Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Not Wolverine posted:

As much as I admire your desire for revenge, I believe the average bro dozer/BMWanker is driving like a dick on purpose and your eggs would only justify their rage.

Also, I have never actually seen a real rotten egg, and I've kept eggs in my fridge for several months before, I'm simply not sure what the trick is to making eggs rot. :confused:

Keep them outside the fridge and introduce a small hole into the shell to allow air in while being too small for egg to drain out, you'll have some revolting poo poo in no time.

It's only ever happened to me by accident, but oh man is it vile (it was in the fridge, one of the eggs had a hidden crack and... yikes!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How do you drive into a full-rear end *house*?

It ain't exactly hiding!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NoWake posted:

Screw a standing desk, get a knee-high, rolling desk so that nice bolstered Recaro seat you've taken out of that old German car & sat on floor can make the hours of sedentary work feel so much better.

I do enjoy that "gaming chairs" and "racing seats" are structurally and visually indistinguishable at this point, as far as I can tell.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Right to jail. Right away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.

Right to jail. Right away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I honestly think the world is so reasonably safe nowadays that people have just let their decision-making "muscle" atrophy. The idea that a bad decision could injure or kill them is just, uh, whatever.

I don't think we should strive to make the world more dangerous, but I think there's room to adjust how we discuss and handle risk in society to emphasize that, once you make certain fuckups, the price is serious injury or death.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CaptainTofu posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this demographic on home counties backroads.

We have these people in Alberta too. 80 in the 60, 80 in the 80, 80 in the 110. They just love going exactly 80 km/h, it's their most favourite thing!

EDIT: Unless, of course, a hill should be involved. Then throttle input will remain constant and we'll either go 100 downhill, or 65 uphill.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 24, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Fair enough for newer drivers/riders, who have not yet learned what the second half of the tachometer is for (thanks guys in Cycle Asylum!), but shouldn't the majority of the people on the road know? They've been driving for years.

No. You can safely assume that most drivers hit the peak of their driving knowledge and skill at about three weeks after starting to drive, and never, ever developed further.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and Blue Ridge Parkway all have low speed limits but are still massively enjoyable to drive.

A cross country motorcycle trip isn’t insane if, as said above, you stay off freeways as much as possible and budget at least 2x as long as your initial plan just to stop and see poo poo on the side of the road.

It's not insane, it's totally doable but you have to admit to yourself that you're doing it just to say you've done it. Like, in the Canadian context, there's absolutely gently caress all to see in western Ontario. Literally nothing. Just trees. Trees for miles. Maybe a small town, but not an interesting small town in any way. You could, of course, drive it, but there's no point in doing so if you can avoid it.

The US and Canada are big enough that you could drive/ride for months loving around the places that are actually mildly interesting, without ever touching the boring stretches of absolute nothingness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cage posted:

I had someone at a gas station pull forward to the hood of my car while I was pumping gas, making me have to reverse to leave. Its not me, thats lovely right? If a station is busy and you have to wait drive your car around until you're facing the same direction as the person in front of you. :argh:

I have a lot of driving pet peeves and some of them even involve gas stations, but this would not even bother me in the slightest.

Steakandchips posted:

There are many petrol stations in the UK that you can enter at either end.

Same in Canada, it's not even remotely an issue. Unless you park in a way that obstructs access to the pump for someone else (this includes leaving your car parked at the pump to go inside, provided it's for any reason other than paying for gas), go hog-wild!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What.... in the gently caress is this person trying to do? Obviously they're doing a poo poo job of it, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is even the attempt here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, they were available for direct order in Sweden up until 2015 when FCA shut down Dodge in Europe, and Klintberg & Way (a Swedish company) is one of 3 RAM brand distributors authorised by FCA and operating in Europe. There are 6700 RAM 1500s registered in Sweden right now, as a comparison there are 5100 Porsche Cayennes.

Would those heavily slant toward people living in the, uh, more remote areas of the country, or is it rich idiots in the cities?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah, they are taller. As a 6'2" auto tech, I used to be able to easily reach into the engine bay of any unmodified truck. Not anymore. New trucks are oversized clown cars built for the insecure.

I don't blame the manufacturers for that, I blame the customers.

And the interesting thing is that this is usually quite bad for most things you'd actually want to use a truck for, I guess towing excluded because it doesn't really matter. If you want to use the bed, chances are you'd like it to be low enough to use without a ladder.

For most things where a pickup truck is specifically useful, a more accessible bed is actually very handy. But, of course, most people buying trucks do not need a truck; this is just one further piece of evidence to support that obvious, inescapable conclusion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

To me, even as a non cyclist, this is equally as infuriating as when a cyclist runs a stop sign or red light. The rules of the road apply to everyone regardless of your chosen transportation mode.

The one thing that really bothers me is the e-scooters because the law can't seem to decide whether they count as vehicles or pedestrians, and therefore whether they need to stop at stop signs as a vehicle would, or have all other vehicles give way to them as one would have to toward a pedestrian.

The average scooter rider, far more often than cyclists, seems to believe the latter, which strikes me as a bad idea simply because they actually go quite fast.

It's a legal grey area that hasn't been fully worked out, and on the whole I see much, much more dangerous behaviour from scooter riders than any cyclists.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Speed limits need explanations like movie ratings. "This road is rated 60 km/h for... hidden driveways, lovely margins, a school is near here" etc.

There's the argument that a lot of places have speed limits set stupidly low, but honestly I don't see very many of them (it's mainly a problem with freeways), it's just that people don't appreciate the hazards and factors that have led to lower speed limits.

It's also a matter of situational awareness. There's a road on my way to work with an 80 km/h limit. That's, if anything, a wee bit fast for some sections of the road if you aren't paying attention. It's also very slow for the portions of the road with excellent visibility when there are no confounding factors. Unless you're going to have speed limit signs every few kilometers according to each section of road, every curve and hill crest, or simply trust drivers to make good judgements (and you shouldn't do either of those things, because they're terrible ideas), you'll have that situation and no amount of road design is going to change it. If you want to go fast, speed and take your chances; look out for late-model Fords, especially parked by the side off the road

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You're not allowed to park there, mate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There's, uh, something on your car, mate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Driving home today on the main artery in my subdivision which has a 25 mph speed limit and has houses/driveways/etc on it. Doing 30 mph. A middle aged woman in a CUV passes me on the right in the bike lane and proceeds to drive up the hill at around 50 mph.

People are loving psychopaths.

I don't recall if I posted it here, but I can do better: a person passed my on the right in a parking lane while I was stopped for a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk in a residential area.

Luckily the pedestrian was proceeding from right to left.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's not even much snow, I've driven a Mustang on roads that look like that (yes I was nervous as gently caress about getting stuck at some points).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Wow, crab mode is really impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyRi_JixPXE&t=4s

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I do recall, back when I was living in Montreal and smoking like a chimney, enjoying a full pipe while watching a U-Haul attempt to get up Peel Street north of Sherbrooke in a snowstorm. He never made it, but god bless the critter, he tried.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Plenty of people still have to go to work even if their car is an ice cube.

If the car is an ice-cube, I ain't going to work and work will have to deal with it, and I say that having taken three days off because "it's far too loving cold, it will probably freeze my car to death and you don't pay me enough to take that chance."

I'm still employed, and didn't even get a talking-to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This fucker took out my favourite happy hour patio this morning! Also managed to hit a pedestrian, apparently. I think given he’s mounted the sidewalk on the wrong side of the road, he might have been going a bit over the posted 40 km/h limit…

I think there’s really something to be said for Cuba’s policy of treating collisions causing injury and damage as criminal offenses by default.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

When you encounter a large boulder the size of a small boulder on the highway, that's one thing... but a large boulder the size of a large boulder? gently caress that.