Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Heard a loud KACHOW followed immediately after by a BANG at work this morning while on break.

There's a huge number of accidents at this intersection to begin with. But usually during rush hour. Someone trying to beat the light.

Kachow #1. You can see my headlights a bit, I blocked off two lanes with my car until EMS and FD could get there (~15 minutes, when the station is 1 mile away...)

Kachow #2.

Kachow #3 happened when they dragged the car out. As of right now (8 hours later), it's still free car wash day. I saw Austin Water out there, originally digging with a pickaxe though the brand new pavement (with a UCIS locator on hand); when I left, they had a backhoe digging the street up. The street was repaved 1-2 months ago, guess they paved over the shutoff. :downsgun:

3 people involved (2 in the Chevy, 1 in the... VW? I didn't get close enough to look, my boss confirmed they were alive and that they would rather wait for EMS, so I blocked off 2 lanes to hopefully help protect them). The driver of the Chevy got out and was walking around, her passenger was awake but didn't want to move.

Gotta say, very impressed with how well the Chevy held up. That was at least a ~50 MPH hit. Possibly higher. I didn't exactly go poking around inside, but the cabin looked very intact, and EMS was able to open the back door on that side (not the front door). OnStar did its job (I could hear the operator trying to confirm injuries by the time I ran to the car), airbags worked, side impact protection definitely worked well. I didn't get close enough to the other car (VW?) to see how it held up, but the driver was definitely hurting. As one usually does when one t-bones a car at highway speeds. :stare: We didn't hear screeching tires or anything, just a KACHOW and a BAM, so likely a full speed hit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah when my neighbor got stuck in the snow in front of my apartment, I wound up hopping in the driver's seat while 3 other neighbors pushed (we originally tried shoving Brokeback's floormats under the front tires, which worked for plenty of other cars, but they just took flight lessons when she gunned it). Got it unstuck and parked it back in her garage for her. I didn't want to be pushing in case she gunned it, and she asked if I could try driving it anyway.

... 20 minutes later she got stuck again, same spot. I wound up taking her to the grocery store in my car, since nobody without AWD or a 4x4 could get out of here. The snow had melted, then re-froze into cobblestone ice, plus water had been pouring out of my neighbor's apartment just next to her garage for 3 days (making her driveway and the next one over an ice rink).. it was a bitch to get out of here for several days.