Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGXDV_4qLOI

as far as i can tell this is real lmfao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBGbe1Sv48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's 100% real, I dunno Japanese, but they're definitely talking about skin care, not the actual dialouge from the show. :lol:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh my god those are great haha. I need Uno products now!

I saw a lot of AoT ads and crossovers on the cruise event, we really missed out on some great cross promotions

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Absolutely beautiful. There's just something about putting Attack on Titan in ads for mundane stuff that makes it so hilarious. I know there have been others (including one for a horse racing that I swear I didn't hallucinate?!), but the one I'll always remember is the one for Pizza Hut. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Catalina posted:

Absolutely beautiful. There's just something about putting Attack on Titan in ads for mundane stuff that makes it so hilarious. I know there have been others (including one for a horse racing that I swear I didn't hallucinate?!), but the one I'll always remember is the one for Pizza Hut. :allears:

Sorry, but Code Geass will always be the primary Pizza Hut franchise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t remember what it was selling but when I was in Tokyo in 2006 there were train station billboard ads of Fist of the North Star selling soft drinks or shampoo or something that made me laugh

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I recall an AoT mystery meat cup noodle.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

I recall an AoT mystery meat cup noodle.

W... what was the meat? :ohdear:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a mystery

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://imgur.com/t/attack_on_titan/v3FNXJ6

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
just finished the anime and it kicks rear end. i loved all the weird giants kicking each other's asses and eating people left and right. big ups to our idiot human race and anime is blood.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hahaha

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Been stewing on the show since it ended.

I'm a little down on the ending, but that's because it didn't really reach my sky-high expectations. I think in terms of quality and closure, it hit almost all of the marks that it could of. When you've been getting 100% on everything for the past two years, to get a 90% is always a little disappointing. I still love the show.

Some general thoughts:

- pound for pound, moment to moment...best setups and payoffs of any show ever? Everything had it's moments. I don't think I saw it while I was perusing this thread, but when Ymir is accused of letting the gate open, thirteen hands are pointing at her. (13 years of life being the curse of Titan's lifespan) and when she has an arrow in her back and is lying on the ground, she sees a flower with 9 petals. 9 types of titans. :shrug: A small easter egg, but still, I like to think it's part of her psychology.

- still can't get over how violent it could be. I know Titans eating people is gross and violent, so it comes with the territory of the show, but still. The Warhammer Egg Crack, the scouts being thrown into the trees teeth first, Armin's bomb blast. It's rough stuff, constantly. Even Eren biting his hand and not transforming is grotesque and done so in a way where you feel it.

- maybe I missed it but is the first major series in a while that doesn't have any standout moments of fan service? Nobody's really sexualized and there's no scene of, like, Armin walking in on Mikasa getting changed to "comedic" results. Sasha doesn't trip on a penny and fall breast-first into Connie.

Time to check out the live-action movies and laugh.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Hotbutt posted:

- maybe I missed it but is the first major series in a while that doesn't have any standout moments of fan service?

mikasa_abs.gif

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The only fan service I can think of is I think the season 3 OP where you get a shot of suddenly very busty Mikasa putting on wrist tape. It stood out to me on a rewatch because its a bit egregious but it's nothing awful

Still thinking about this show daily. Watched tons of vids. So many details in this show its madness. Like how Levi is the only one not to wave goodbye to Annie because he still remembers she killed his squad. Also just found why Levi holds his cups so bizarrely and yeah the amount of thought that went into every character is just obscene.

Did you know after she loses her eye, Levi always stands on Hange's blind side to keep her safe? This show, man

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

- maybe I missed it but is the first major series in a while that doesn't have any standout moments of fan service? Nobody's really sexualized and there's no scene of, like, Armin walking in on Mikasa getting changed to "comedic" results. Sasha doesn't trip on a penny and fall breast-first into Connie.

personally i've been feeling like that kind of cheap fan service has been much more rare these days than it used to be

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alan_Shore posted:

Did you know after she loses her eye, Levi always stands on Hange's blind side to keep her safe? This show, man

:aaaaa:

Goddamn....

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

personally i've been feeling like that kind of cheap fan service has been much more rare these days than it used to be

You're probably right. Looking at Jump's current lineup, I'm seeing much less of it than just a few years ago... and I think AoT is one of the factors. Its massive, borderline unprecedented success meant that a lot of rules changed in how manga were viewed by the big publishers. It lead to an increase in "dark" and violent manga (like JJK and Chainsaw Man), so it making writers and companies go "And hey, if you're not feeling the fanservice thing... Attack on Titan doesn't do it, and it's selling a million copies a volume, easy." (Only five volumes out of 34 didn't manage a million in the first month after the anime started.)

Going back to the whole setup and payoff thing, though, I think that's part of why the ending backlash was so loud for the manga. Attack on Titan has such good handling of details that the final chapter being sloppy (and it was sloppy, to the point where I'm sure there's a heck of a story there we haven't heard) wasn't just bad, it was shocking. A bad chapter in MHA or something that ignores or fumbles the prior setup is just a bad chapter. A chapter in Attack on Titan that feels like it's not fitting with the setup is a breach of trust. The anime cutting so much setup that went unused and it better integrating the plots that would matter means that the ending feels much more like the rest of the series, which further enhances it alongside the other changes and just, well, being able to take advantage of the medium.

What a good series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alan_Shore posted:

Moblit was the also the one who appeared in her death vision to pull her up off the ground, after previously pushing her down a well to save her from Bertholdt.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A single shot, relegated to an OVA, in a 90 episode series. And it's not even that bad, compared to the poo poo in most major franchises:

EDIT: Regarding setups, payoffs, and weird symbolism, someone pointed out something that I'd never noticed.
A formative memory of Mikasa's is a mantis eating a butterfly. It's what helps her realize that the strong are going to feed on the weak, and so you need to be strong if you want to protect your butterflies. So naturally, she becomes the best flying around with blades on each arm, all in the service of her little butterfly. Fast forward to the Rumbling, and that butterfly has become a mantis himself - and a particularly bad one. The OP for S4P2 has a shot of a colossal titan trampling a butterfly underfoot. At this point, the whole world has become the fragile butterfly at Eren's mercy?

So what does Mikasa ultimately do? She does what all female mantises do - she decapitates her mate.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 25, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Eren walks around with no shirt on at one point. :sparkles:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
it should be noted that "fanservice" is not confined to just cheesecake; the sort of acrobatic action sequences that fill the show can easily be called fanservice as well

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

quote:

In his online magazine “Tomino Ryū no Tomino”, the director had called Isayama a stubborn bullied child who relieved his anger through drawing manga.

“In short, he used to be a stubborn bullied child. He relieves his resentment by drawing manga,” Tomino said,

He added, that the manga seems more offensive to public order and morals than the radical sexual expression and he will never read it or let it be published under his watch.

“I personally don’t want to read it, and I don’t want to evaluate it. The fact that such manga is received like this means that the present era is pretty terrible.”
When he gets to the Tomino quote it becomes amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq21XsNLosk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is this like the last time you posted one of this same guy's videos because i remember thinking that was kind of dumb, and it got you a ban

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ninjewtsu posted:

is this like the last time you posted one of this same guy's videos because i remember thinking that was kind of dumb, and it got you a ban
It's a good video. The Tomino quote is great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So what's the context for that quote?

edit: like, is there a link to where exactly Tomino wrote that? Searching for his magazine just brings up that quote again.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 26, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

So what's the context for that quote?

edit: like, is there a link to where exactly Tomino wrote that? Searching for his magazine just brings up that quote again.

as far as i can find the only time tomino has ever spoken on AoT was this back in 2013 https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-03/gundam-creator-tomino-praises-and-criticizes-attack-on-titan-manga

if there's a source where tomino talks about how his opinion has changed since then i'd be interested to see it, as both an AoT and gundam fan

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 26, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i found these forum posts from 2013 that give that same quote https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2806611

here's a website repeating that quote in 2022 https://animehunch.com/tomino-isayama-bullied-child/

that's about all i'm seeing in a few quick googles. might be competing translations of the same quote as the ANN article from my above post?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Assepoester posted:

I'm not going to watch whatever it is, insane youtube posting freak guy.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lol they were his videos. Go advertise on Reddit or buy an ad here, but no one wants to watch your stupid videos.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

as far as i can find the only time tomino has ever spoken on AoT was this back in 2013 https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-03/gundam-creator-tomino-praises-and-criticizes-attack-on-titan-manga

if there's a source where tomino talks about how his opinion has changed since then i'd be interested to see it, as both an AoT and gundam fan

Tomino did praise the first episode of the anime, specifically how it was directed. Which makes sense because Tetsuro Araki later did some work on an episode of G-Reco.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ro-araki/.81398

quote:

Araki got excited when he found out that Tomino was making another anime series. "As a Tomino fan, I thought I'd like to subtitle one of his works," he explained. "I felt I had a chance." Tomino says that he had seen Episode 1 of Attack on Titan and largely approved. "He keeps a good watch compared to mediocre directors. He captures a worldview. Araki-san tries his best. I happily considered approving all of the young generation instead of rejecting them all. I would've declined to direct Attack, but if I had accepted I wouldn't have been able to make this."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why are we talking about someone who has never read the manga or watched the show? Who literally cares?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's interesting to know what the director of mobile suit gundam has to say about a show that I think has a not inconsequential amount of thematic overlap

Of course he doesn't really have very much to say about it, but since an incendiary quote was attributed to him without a source it's an ok moment to see what his actual thoughts are? It's cool that he recognized the strong direction in what he did see.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I'll add my two cents and say that I don't think I could have directed the show either, hope this helps.

naw jk i coulda winged it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think tomino could have directed it and it would have bene really funny if he did

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

Lol they were his videos. Go advertise on Reddit or buy an ad here, but no one wants to watch your stupid videos.

Thank you for finally getting rid of this weird freak

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Assepoester posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Fluffdaddy posted:

I appreciate the service, and it's good to bring this to a close, but I am curious how we know those are his videos? His whole posting gimmick was spamming incendiary clickbait, but I feel like they've typically come from a few sources so idk.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I was wrong. He just used the youtubers username at some point. Which is even lamer.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I also have an extremely important Attack on Titan youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igq6TKagpUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, the thread is now on a stupid enough trajectory to get out a thought that's been gnawing at me for years now:

Connie is probably the Jared Dunn of Paradis. That is to say, this guy fucks.

Think about it. He was one of the Shiganshina Nine, so he's one of the biggest heroes in the walls. Eren and Mikasa have their whole weird thing, so they're out, Levi and Hange have a whole deal, Armin is spending his days talking to a girl trapped in a crystal, Jean's got mostly-unrequited feelings for MIkasa, Sasha winds up with Niccolo, and Floch's getting obsessive over vengeance...

And then there's Connie. Connie, the funny guy with a tragic history to make people feel sorry for him. Connie, an approachable guy who had a nine inch growth spurt in the timeskip to make him not be the shrimp any more.

If he's got any interest in sex, the guy can walk into any tavern in the country and a line will form at his most casual mention of the subject. And since he's Connie, he won't realize there's anything unusual about this.

It's a disquieting thought. And it's one I refuse to try to carry alone.

(Also, that video proves that Zeke is a bad influence on his brother. Probably a Yankees fan.)