Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

But Kenny was working for Rodd, right?

Only on paper. Their motives were not aligned and Kenny's men were loyal to Kenny, not the crown/government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

But Kenny was working for Rodd, right?

He was working for whoever was the king at this time – either Uri or Frieda.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
A map of the situation is never explicitly laid out, but Kenny wanted the power of the Founding Titan for himself and so it's apparent his immediate move upon the fall of the walls and the death of the king was to corner Rodd, who in turn eventually realized what was going on and played along with the goal of recovering Eren who had the power, and Historia to inherit it.

Alan_Shore posted:

Wasn't there any OVA with a talking titan I seem to recall?

Illse's journal. It features a titan who was in Ymir's (jaw) cult, and mistakes an expedition survivor for her.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gantolandon posted:

He was working for whoever was the king at this time – either Uri or Frieda.

There was no king. Rodd collected Historia after Eren inherited the power.

Conspiratiorist posted:

A map of the situation is never explicitly laid out, but Kenny wanted the power of the Founding Titan for himself and so it's apparent his immediate move upon the fall of the walls and the death of the king was to corner Rodd, who in turn eventually realized what was going on and played along with the goal of recovering Eren who had the power, and Historia to inherit it.

Illse's journal. It features a titan who was in Ymir's (jaw) cult, and mistakes an expedition survivor for her.

Ah I see. It's weird that Rodd continued to trust Kenny after he basically rolled up and tried to kill his daughter though

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I don't believe he trusted him so much as he had no choice but to work with him.

More than probably anyone else alive, Rodd knew Kenny was a piece of poo poo; he was unfazed when the latter revealed his true objective.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't believe he trusted him so much as he had no choice but to work with him.

More than probably anyone else alive, Rodd knew Kenny was a piece of poo poo; he was unfazed when the latter revealed his true objective.

Yeah, Rodd is an odd one. Absolutely nothing fazes him until Historia smashes the vial. Hard to get a read on the guy. Like Historia is his last chance to pass the founder's power down and he just lets her go, no worries. I really hope we learn more about that family.

Why did Rodd say he absolutely could not take the founder's power? There was no biological reason was there?

And why did he turn so huge? Because the liquid was exposed to the air? And actually, why was he still in the nape like a shifter? Shouldn't he have been a regular titan?

What happens when someone like Eren has 2 shifter powers? You just have to wait for them to die normally so the powers can split into two newborns?

SO. MANY. QUESTIONS

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alan_Shore posted:

Why did the jaw titan have an armored face when Ymir didn't? I guess Ymir went back so that Reiner and Berdholt weren't possibly punished as they're all kinda in the same boat.

The warriors have trained since childhood to become titans where as Ymir was a nobody asleep for decades, that plays into it a bit as well as Marley has various titan serums to stuff into every titan. Ymir goes back to Marley with Reiner to try and protect Historia.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Why did Rodd say he absolutely could not take the founder's power? There was no biological reason was there?

And why did he turn so huge? Because the liquid was exposed to the air? And actually, why was he still in the nape like a shifter? Shouldn't he have been a regular titan?

What happens when someone like Eren has 2 shifter powers? You just have to wait for them to die normally so the powers can split into two newborns?

1. It'd gotten into his head that his role was to bear witness to and extol the King. It was a purely psychological thing.

2. He *was* a regular titan (or at least, what the Survey Corps code as "abnormals"), and regular titans are on the nape same as shifters are; it's just that on regular titans the human inside eventually dissolves.

Hard to say what exactly happened, but if you recall he told Historia he'd give her an injection that'd turn her into a titan good at fighting, so my theory is that with his limited knowledge he cooked up a cocktail that included Colossal serum and combined with his royal blood it ended up turning him into that monster. Based on what we've seen regarding usage of titan serum by various parties, it seems you can influence the final result based on dosage and source (which of the Nine the spinal fluid is coming from).

3. Presumably. But the Founding Titan is too valuable to risk trying to peel off like that, so it's now joined by the hip to the Attack Titan until someone splats either Eren or his successors.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I think the prevailing theory for why Rod's titan was so hosed is because of its cocktail (he said it would be "strong"), and because he licked up the serum instead of injecting it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It would make sense that after seeing his daughter get murked he'd whip up a special strong batch

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Wandering a little off topic and time travelling to the previous episode, apologies, but if I liked the trench warfare sequence there, are there any other shows I should check out? I know there aren't really anime straight up about WW1 itself (though Golden Kamuy has some flashbacks to the Russo-Japanese War) but wondered if people better-versed in the medium might know some stuff to look at. And of course AoT is basically body horror Gundam. :V

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I recommend To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts manga, but not its anime adaptation.

It's not a war story as such but occurs just in the aftermath of a bloody civil war and often has flashbacks to it. The quick of it is that one side in a mid/late 1800s era equivalent developed the tech to turn people into monster-shifting supersoldiers and used it to win the war, but now these supersoldiers are in various stages of losing their minds and becoming a danger to the peace they helped bring about.

Why don't I recommend the anime?

Because it went from this:

To barafurry:

And in what I can only assume to be an attempt to imitate Attack on Titan, also added a military unit wearing idiotic rainbow jetpacks on skis that slide around firing grapple hooks, and also came up with an anime-original ending.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I only watched a little bit of it but Tanya the Evil is about a lovely salaryman who got murked by a subway train and upon death meets God who finds him unrepentant of living a selfish life and reincarnates him into alternate universe Europe as a little girl orphan who is conscripted into the Prussian military due to prodigal magical talent. I've only seen like six episodes so I don't know if it gets stupider but it's basically WWI era except instead of airplanes it's mages in jetpacks dogfighting and providing CAS with magical bolt actions.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s not trench warfare but full metal alchemist brotherhood is basically an alternate universe set in the same timeframe as wwi.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Started a rewatch from the beginning, so here are my notes on episodes 1 and 2:

- That title of episode 1 sure is something.
- First appearance of young Keith Shadis, and in a way that's disconnected from how we'd see him next. I expect he was removed as Survey Corps commander after that public outburst.
- Eren had a coordinate vision in the field. Most of the images are self-explanatory, but there was a shot of a broken statue that will pop up again in the weird teaser for season 3 part 2 as well as a totally unknown shot of a bed with toys on it. I expect that we will get another point of reference to that bed before the end of the show, even if we don't see that shot itself. (If not, I would be shocked if it didn't appear in the manga.)
- Eren's father keeps on being mentioned in episode 1 until he walks out the door. He's a doctor, he saved the villagers, he says people shouldn't be complacent, etc. Coming after that, him not being mentioned until Eren's "dream" and never being mentioned again really sticks out.
- Knowing Grisha's background now, it becomes clear that he was willing to show Eren the basement because of his answer.
- Baby Annie! Baby Ernie and Bert! I noticed them before, but E&B's reactions make so much more sense now given what they were told.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Started a rewatch from the beginning, so here are my notes on episodes 1 and 2:

- That title of episode 1 sure is something.
- First appearance of young Keith Shadis, and in a way that's disconnected from how we'd see him next. I expect he was removed as Survey Corps commander after that public outburst.

He actually quit, making him the only Survey Corps commander to survive his tenure. They were never meant to succeed, so firing him for failure would be odd. Meanwhile, he kept seeing Erwin do better than he ever could, making his "I am a Great Man who will Save Humanity" fantasy fall apart.

Easy to see why he left the job to someone else.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

He actually quit, making him the only Survey Corps commander to survive his tenure. They were never meant to succeed, so firing him for failure would be odd. Meanwhile, he kept seeing Erwin do better than he ever could, making his "I am a Great Man who will Save Humanity" fantasy fall apart.

Easy to see why he left the job to someone else.

I assumed he would be removed for saying that every mission was pointless and a failure. Throwing the military under a bus seems like a terrible way to keep your position in the military, but if he quit right after that it makes sense.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

White Rock posted:

The second guy in the line of the PTSD soldiers is definitely an paradis agent. Falls down in a forced way, face is shaded so we don't see eyes and "you have your arm band on the wrong side!" which i don't think an eldian spending their entire life in the ghetto would ever forget.

I've been mulling this idea over.

Pro Paradis agent arguments: face was hidden even in that shot where they were centered in the frame, potential chance to to assassinate some shifters or miraculously get them to change sides, only way to accurately gauge whether an uprising by the Eldians is possible

Anti Paradis agent arguments: shot was to illustrate compassion of new character, soldier with head injury means conception of left/right could be compromised, missing leg means either sacrificing an injured soldier (doesn't seem very useful) or sending in Eren (if he's lost they're completely hosed, what possible plot is worth that much risk?)

:shrug:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

There was no king. Rodd collected Historia after Eren inherited the power.

Yeah, it seems so. But given Kenny's motivations, he had no reason to respect Rod. He didn't inherit the Will of the First King, so he didn't have the calmness and mercy that made Ackermann respect Uri. He was another trash, power-hungry human.

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah I see. It's weird that Rodd continued to trust Kenny after he basically rolled up and tried to kill his daughter though

He didn't really have a choice. The Anti-Personnel Squad was loyal to Kenny and they were Rod's best shot to recover Eren and Historia.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gantolandon posted:

He didn't really have a choice. The Anti-Personnel Squad was loyal to Kenny and they were Rod's best shot to recover Eren and Historia.

This is what's confusing. Why did he have to rely on Kenny to get Historia back when it looks like it was Kenny who forced her to flee? Wish we had more details. That scene where they kill Historia's mother and take her is just very confusing all round.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It could be that Kenny didn't really understand the full picture yet and believed that he would be able to take control and locate the Founding Titan much more easily than he did. Eventually when it became clear that Eren had it and was actually friends with Historia she actually became their best shot at capturing him so he played along with Rod. Rod likewise played along with Kenny but both were intending to control the power in the end.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 20, 2020

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatched episodes 3 and 4 before the latest one, and that turned out to be an excellent decision. Rewatch thoughts:

- Man, I forgot just how annoying Jean was at the beginning. No wonder Eren couldn't stand him, even if they weren't so diametrically opposed in their reasons for signing up.
- It looks like there's a minimum age to joining the cadets (12) but no maximum.
- How much of what Bertholt said about when the titans arrived is true to experiences he had on the way in?*
- So many characters I forgot about, so much titan fodder.
- No wonder Annie was pissed all the time. She had to do basic training again, this time with folks who were goofing off.
- Annie not putting on a persona actually worked in her favor; she was able to do missions without breaking down (Reiner) or being paralyzed with doubts (Bertholt).

And now the thoughts from the most recent episode:

- So many tiny murderers. All of the flashback sections delight me so much and I can't explain why.
- Marcel getting eaten right before they hit the walls is a big ouch. If only they had moved faster, if only they hadn't stopped right there, etc.
- Reiner has been hosed by taking on another persona for years. No wonder he's been breaking down repeatedly.
- *Hah, Bertholt just straight up lifted the story they told to the cadets about their village being attacked.
- Talking this through, it appears that Annie noticed Kenny moving around the palace and/or the military police. Alternate explanation is that she's trying to get info on the Founding Titan and he's involved in protecting the true royal family and has noticed her sniffing around the fake one, but that would imply that he's tailing her and not the other way around.
- I know that voice. Hi Eren, nice monologue.
- The chance to gain the loyalties of shifters before they inherit can only be done from inside Marley. I'll accept that as a reason to send Eren undercover.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That was an awesome reveal this week

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the strategic use of injuring Eren so he can pose as a soldier.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I like the strategic use of injuring Eren so he can pose as a soldier.

You say that like it wasn't incidental to Hange trying to remove his leg for research purposes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love all these flashbacks filling in the other POV. It's so good!

Isn't it weird, after all this work to select these titans, that they gave the warrior titan to a guy on the police? He doesn't even get involved in wars. AFAIK he didn't steal the power, he was given it. Seems like a waste

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

I love all these flashbacks filling in the other POV. It's so good!

Isn't it weird, after all this work to select these titans, that they gave the warrior titan to a guy on the police? He doesn't even get involved in wars. AFAIK he didn't steal the power, he was given it. Seems like a waste

If you mean the Warhammer Titan, the Tyburs are a family of nobles dating back to the Eldian Empire. They've always had it, and Marley allowed them to keep their status after the fall of the empire due to their contributions.

If you mean the Attack Titan, Marley never had control of it; Eren Kruger was a revolutionary from the start, faked being a Marleyan, and it was the previous holder of the Attack Titan, presumably likewise an Eldian working against Marley in secret, who passed it onto him.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Err, are you talking about the Owl? I thought it was pretty obvious that the Attack Titan was stolen some generations back and it was passed on at the end of the shifter's life purely to keep it out of Marley's hands. What better way to hide it than among the Marleyans who would never be sent to war?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just realized Anne smashing the grasshopper was her trying to de-humanize her future actions of stepping on people oh my god.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Gaj posted:

I just realized Anne smashing the grasshopper was her trying to de-humanize her future actions of stepping on people oh my god.

She also stomps on Petra the same way.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Roger! I guess I didn't pick up on the fact the Marleyans didn't know where the Attack Titan was.

Really great to get some Annie characterization in this episode. Still chilling in a diamond.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Roger! I guess I didn't pick up on the fact the Marleyans didn't know where the Attack Titan was.

Really great to get some Annie characterization in this episode. Still chilling in a diamond.

I mean, as far as we know.

It's been five years, after all.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

If haven't already, check out the two-part OVA about her being a detective in the military police. It really helps you understand her better. It wasn't written by Isayama, but events from it have been mentioned in the main manga since then, so it's basically canon.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Beefstew posted:

If haven't already, check out the two-part OVA about her being a detective in the military police. It really helps you understand her better. It wasn't written by Isayama, but events from it have been mentioned in the main manga since then, so it's basically canon.

I've watched Ilse's Notebook and A Choice with No Regrets. Which other ones are worth watching?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh I didn't even know that existed. I'll track them all down!

Another big thing from this episode: when Berdholt kicked the hole in the wall, Dina titan ignored him and went inside. Seems important

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I've watched Ilse's Notebook and A Choice with No Regrets. Which other ones are worth watching?

Lost girls 1 and 2 (also titled "Wall Sina, Goodbye"), which is the OVA they were talking about. There's also a part 3 which is a separate story about Mikasa, but that one is significantly less interesting.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I've actually never watched No Regrets, but I make it a point to tell everyone to do Ilse's Notebook and Wall Sina, Goodbye. I think it's kind of absurd that Ilse's Notebook wasn't inserted as a main series episode at some point, because it really has some important poo poo in it. Been catching a friend up lately, and I made sure we watched that OVA before starting season 2.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Told myself I would wait till the season was over to watch and that lasted about ten minutes after I saw there were three episodes out. The week to week wait for this is gonna kill me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I didn't think it would be Eren going full agent provocateur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I saw it brought up elsewhere, but it's neat how this episode shows that Reiner was treated like garbage, even by his fellow Warriors, and only became the Armored because of manipulation on Marcel's part.

And then he gets inside the walls, joins the 104th, and finds that he both excels, and is respected and treated well. By the "Devils".

All this just being further fuel for his mental break.

Being Reiner sucks.