Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

AT ditches seem doctrine purist to me honestly, it's right in the name.

I'd switch the places of molotov cocktails and AT ditches, yeah. There are lots of things you can destroy with molotov cocktails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

I hope they aren't dismounting their helicopters to fight on the ground

One man in four stays behind to hold the reins of the helicopters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

If our Secretary of Defense is bigger than theirs, his threat display will intimidate them. This is how diplomacy works. Also, I am an elk.

Is that why dress uniforms went for really big hats and epaulets at one point?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

Cavalry is prestgious in this order: Lancers; Cuirassiers; Arquebusiers; That light cav everyone who isn't from the Balkans call Croats; Dragoons.

I have no idea why everyone is bigoted against dragoons but they are.

Where does a particularly prestigious infantry unit (grenadiers, say) fall on this list? Above or below dragoons?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

grenadiers postdate me although you will give people grenade launchers for an assault (the final push into a beseiged city for instance)

IIRC early grenadiers were burly chaps with special training who threw iron bombs. Then they phased out the actual grenades as being useless but kept the 'grenadier' title on the existing regiments (who were regarded as being elite).

(Please correct me.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In between having your gear issued and when you give it back, how much enforcement is there of the theoretical loadout? Will NCOs try to catch soldiers who've ditched or modified some of their equipment?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hell of a ricochet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When a unit is described as 'mechanised infantry', does that literally mean "APCs for everyone!" or just that there's a bunch of trucks organic to the unit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If the mech unit has to go somewhere with roads and without expected enemy contact, would the APCs be used as transport or would everyone get on trucks because they're cheaper to run?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Interceptors, engine breakdowns, flak on the way. Would you take the mission?

They used a pilot made of pillows dressed in a worn-out uniform.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How much KE as rotation does a cannonball end up with?

Did land artillery volley-fire at a common elevation and orientation like naval guns so they could see where their shot landed, or did each gun fire as fast as it could and choose their elevation etc as they felt best?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 23, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The major issue you're going to get is spalling, right? When did spall liners become a significant thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It will shatter the first time you hit anything with it. Other than that it's fine!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

O I know about gyrojects. I specifically meant like a literally normal bullet but with fins in a smoothbore. Sorry if I was unclear.

I'm assuming there's an obvious technical reason that I don't know and I'm curious. But thank you for the responses.

There's this weird gimmick round that someone used to try and get around US gun laws.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They definitely had a go at it. They were somewhat less successful than in some other places, but only somewhat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"It should be legal to kill childen. Nobody will of course because it'll be more profitable to sell them into slavery."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if I enjoy loving someone else's wife?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

Every tank has a reasonably decent tool box full of standard hand tools. Where exactly this is depends on the tank; generally they're either in a box on the sponson (above the track) or on a rack inside the vehicle.

AFVs also have what we called OVM (Onboard Vehicle Maintenance) gear. Stuff like crowbars, shovels, ropes, tow cables, 5-gal water cans, oil cans, etc. This is stowed all over the vehicle; every type of vehicle has their own list of items and where they're placed.

How common was it to get sprayed with MG fire / bomb fragments and have all the stuff on the sponsons get hosed up?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

It never happened to me.

And I'm pretty sure if you're getting shot up, whether the handle of your shovel survives or not is a low priority.
Theres a lot of stuff strapped to the outside right? Jerry cans of water, bedding, cooler full of beer, spare socks...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEAT doesn't like spinning at all, and I believe HEAT was the dominant antitank round until composite armour started making it less effective and APFSDS overtook it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Would they actually parachute, or would they be delivered by helicopter?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Instead of AFVs that can drop from a plane, why not AFVs that are planes?

The time of the Aerogavin will come yet!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

taqueso posted:

Has anyone tried to catapult troops? It feels like something that Leonardo da Vinci might have come up with but maybe someone really attempted it?

Only aircraft carriers have catapults, and they already have planes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't the pressure hull function as armour? Ofc hull damage that a surface ship would barely care about would destroy a submarine in seconds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I believe the US did what it did because their ludicrous industrial capacity meant that once on a war footing they were producing more materiel than they were capable of using.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember a bit in All Quiet On The Western Front where some newly-raised soldiers arrived with serrated bayonets, and the veterans made sure to take them away and give them straight bayonets because they believed the British troops would kill anyone they captured who had a serrated bayonet.

Not sure how good a source that is, but the author was a veteran of the war.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Certainly not evidence that it happened, I'm just offering it as evidence that german soldiers thought it would happen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why would you bother with expanding ammo for the massive infantry rifles they used in WW1? A round from one of those will mess you up plenty expanding or no.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC the Finns made a self-igniting version with pyrophoric material inside, so you could skip the flaming rag.

You also want to mix the fuel with something heavy (motor oil, tar, etc) so it sits around as a flaming puddle rather than flashing off as an impressive but useless fireball.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why did they issue each soldier with a mix of fuel types (one KS and two #1 or #3)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eventually your blast radius is going to have to deal with the curvature of the earth right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

White Coke posted:

How did that work for Allied book keeping? How did they count repaired tanks that went back into service?

I only remember the Soviets, but they wrote a tank as a loss as soon as it was damaged beyond use and recorded it as production when it was repaired back to functionality.

IIRC one advantage of doing it this way is that the crew of a damaged tank would be shoved into a new tank right away and when their old tank got repaired it would go somewhere else.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 5, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The most common failure mode was destruction of a track, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does that even count as a failure mode? I thought de-tracking is just "yep, tank gonna tank"

I wasn't thinking so much of throwing a track as having the whole thing hosed up by enemy fire. As I understand it you can gently caress up the tracks with a considerably smaller amount of kaboom than you need to breach the main armour?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And burn things with lasers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That poo poo's sharp.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

White Coke posted:

Do slaves count as trained machinists?

The more skilled your slave-machinist the more likely they are to be able to slip sabotage under your nose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

lol at "in theory," these are Nazis we're talking about.

The Fieseler Fi.103R Reichenberg:

Anyone remember the interceptor that was supposed to take off vertically via rocket, do a single attack pass on a bomber wave then you jump out because theres no way to land and you're already out of fuel?

(the engine got a seperate parachute. The rest of the plane just crashed)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As someone pointed out upthread, all the design choices make sense in the circumstances. The issue us that the correct choice in those circumstances is to surrender, which was not a question being posed to the aircraft designers, so they designed that thing instead.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On an unrelated note, I'd never before noticed that they just slapped some sights on the exterior of the fuselage.

Unguided rocket pods like that have horrific accuracy and the pilots have very little idea how to aim anyway, better sights wouldn't change anything.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the pilots were going to be all-but-children as well, because they were out of adults.