Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
pfft, you had a cape person

we had multiple people with cloaks, full on hoods and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Update regarding my previous post about the Nazis, you do not, in fact, gotta hand it to em.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
That movie and Return of the Obra Dinn are an amazing back to back experience.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Probably CSPAM.

Speaking of history with dubious sources it amazes me that there are people out there who will uncritically read a book written by the Soviet Union on why the Holodomor didn't actually happen.

oh please go into cspam and tell them they're all trotskyists lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

Last quote by the captain of that ship that made ice cream right before they crashed into an offshore oil platform

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a fun dad-level history book on the wooden ships era?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thomamelas posted:

This is a pretty broad category and I'm guessing based on timing and question this is a gift suggestion request. So if your dad would like to know the stuff O'Brien by leaves out, there is:

Seamanship in the Age of Sail by Harland. He's a polygot who spent a long time looking at sailing manuals and trying to put it in one book. It's not perfect because trying to put all of that in one book is a big ask. But most of the issues with it are more nitpicky than just being wrong. But it's in that odd space of being a heavy reference tome and a coffee table book. If the person is into the nitty gritty technical stuff, they will love it. If they want pretty drawings of rigging, they will also love it.

Pirates in the Age of Sail by Anthony. It's not super deep but very broad, covering piracy in the Med, the Caribbean and Indonesia. It's one of those books that is an excellent jumping off point with an excellent bibliography for getting in deeper. Which fits Dad history pretty well.

If they want something a bit more mil-history with bits of daring-do then try to find a copy of Sailor of Fortune: The Life and Adventures of Commodore Barney, USN. He was a US Naval officer during the Revolution, and the War of 1812. And he was in charge of the flotilla that tried to stop the British from sacking Washington.

Cochrane: The Life and Exploits of a Fighting Captain. Robert Harvey, Carroll & Graf. Cochrane is the officer that Hornblower was based on.

If you can narrow down the interest a little I can make more suggestions.

Thanks! These are excellent suggestions.

sullat posted:

Hornblower and Jack Aubrey

He and I have both read all of them lol,

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey Gal used to talk about flag offs that happened in the 30 years war with supporting evidence but I think they killed each other at some point anyway it was more another way to show off

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I'm not sure about the degree of independence of Canada at this point in time. If Britain outright surrenders and brings Canada with it, that gives them a beachhead in North America. All extremely gay black Hitler though.

I feel like this is the only way an independent Quebec would've happened.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also, raid redemption is a kickass movie.

But seriously that looks good to me i think you hit all the points nicely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Since we're talking about sight lines one of my favorite memories is from a trip to Ireland. I visited castle ruins on a rainy day and had the place to myself for an hour and a half, and the castle nerd kid in me got to geek out over how awesome it was to be able to stand and see how each gatehouse over watched the previous one, how the approach meant attackers were exposed to as much fire as possible, all that cool stuff.