Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Shamed with my unfinished effortpost series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cessna posted:

Agreed. A Roman helmet is a well designed piece of gear; it protects your skull, a lot of your face, and the back of your neck, but lets you see and hear:

I don't see how "hit from above" is something that this just didn't anticipate. Add in the fact that, yes, you can lift your shield with one arm and use your sword with the other and I'm not seeing much value in that book.

There's popular claims/theories that the Roman helmets were reinforced in response to the Dacian Falx, so the author of the bug thing was probably making an analogy to that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t think the Japanese ever actually had a plan for what they wanted to do in China? Like they bungled into it and then couldn’t figure a way out.
Do we have any better ideas of what their ultimate hope or goal was? Was it hoping the KMT would come crawling on their knees begging for a settlement?

I mean, the military situation for the KMT was completely and utterly hopeless, so it's not completely unreasonable to think that something like Wang Jingwei's defection could have had more internal support than it historically did. Now what this theoretical functional Reorganized government that is sufficiently stable and aligned with Japanese interests that they can meaningfully withdraw their occupying forces actually looks like, I don't know, and I don't think they did either.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

What even was the Japanese enthusiasm level for fighting the USSR? Obviously that's that Germany wanted to do, but it doesn't seem to achieve many of their economic goals.

They were terrified of the Soviet Union, more so than wanting anything from it, is the impression I get.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Especially given the quality of Japanese tanks compared to Russian by late war. Imagine fighting an IS2 in a Chi-Ha

That's the thing that gets me, is even if their pacific and Chinese wars had gone as well as they possibly could have, they still haven't improved their position relative to the Soviet threat in any meaningful way. It seems the strategy was to just let Germany take care of the problem for them, but that's a strat that doesn't really need the co-prosperity sphere.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's a handful of Tim Horton's in NYC run by a former Dunkin Donuts franchisee who got into some dispute with DD corporate.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tomn posted:

Sorry about that, I was knee-deep in the archives and got to a bit about the blockade in WW1 and submarine campaigns in WW2 and my mind popped the question. Interesting answers, though - I've always had a vague sense that the USN was one of the particular American advantages and I WAS vaguely aware that other nations weren't just going to let that slide but wasn't aware just how far they've gone in finding ways to even the odds.

Edit: To pull things back more solidly into history, did the guy doing the Taiping posts ever finish the war out, and is there a collection of all his posts somewhere? It's been a long time since I checked these threads.

I got busy raising kids and playing video games and left off around 1860 sadly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Agricultural laborer and clothier too. There's a great ACOUP series on how thread spinning and weaving were ubiquitous, but with the ease of modern machine production of clothes they have left our conciousness so much that they aren't even background events in most media.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/359139.Women_s_Work

I read this book about bronze age textile production a while back and liked it. There sure was an awful lot of spinning going on.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

But would Japan have surrendered if we dropped the gay bomb??

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's fun to see how many decisions are based on existing ammunition stockpiles, but when world war breaks out those pre-war stockpiles get used up nearly instantly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Siivola posted:

Okay yeah, fair enough.

I'm just super baffled by Hitler's decision to just invite the US over, if they dare. In hindsight it seems like a gigantic unforced error, considering he's already hip deep in Barbarossa.

US ships were already shooting it out with subs in the Atlantic, and it's pretty unlikely that the US would ally with Britain and the other colonial powers against Japan and just ignore the European war threatening those allies' existence.

It certainly didn't do Hitler any good, but I don't think it changed much in the big picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Glad to hear Japanese people are as bad at understanding anime plots as goons are