Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The SCRAM procedure was a guy with an axe next to the rope.

Leading to "Safety Control Rod Axe Man" as a backronym for SCRAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGann posted:

I had no idea who this guy was, but thankfully a quick Google cleared it up

Thanks Toronto Sun

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-holocaust-denier-david-irving-is-dead

The Sun published that?! I wonder if Irving ran over the editor's kid once or something. Maybe Kinsella's got dirt on them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lmao at the "six identical copies of the USS We Built This Yesterday"

That's a Culture-rear end ship name and concept in general if I've ever seen one

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Very tangentially related recommendation: Ignition! is a fantastic book about the history of rocketry development, specifically from the viewpoint of the chemistry involved. It'll give you a good appreciation for just how hard it was to get rockets to do anything useful, let alone militarily useful. That said, it does not touch on their use in actual engagements beyond saying things like "In 195whatever, we were tasked by the Navy to produce a rocket with X characteristics, because they were tired of the last iteration's tendency to eat crewmen while it was being fuelled..."

Also, reading Ignition! will make it so that any time oxidizers comes up in an online discussion, you will start antipating the phrase "hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers" the way your dog waits to hear you say "walk".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Please tell me deep-frying a whole turkey was involved somehow.

If the grill is shakin' and the turkey's green
He might be cookin' with hydrazine

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

lol yeah gently caress it give Michael Bay a copy of Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, what's he gonna do, make the Johnston seem unrealistic?

I like Ryan Reynolds and explosions and Six Underground is the most bored I've ever been watching a Ryan Reynolds explosions movie. I'd trust Peter Berg with the Battle off Samar before I'd trust Bay.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If we’re just wishing for good milhist shows : how the gently caress is there not a show of the Aubrey/Maturin books.

Are you loving kidding me.

Because only one very expensive tall ships franchise was gonna make it out of 2003 alive, and obviously it was gonna be the one with the funny Keith Richards impersonation

But there was a thinkpiece in GQ last year about M&C's 20 year legacy of positive masculinity so who knows, maybe someone will finally pull their head out of their rear end and the Rose out of its berth and get to filming

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

Bligh clearly wasn't a 'people person' and a lot of his actions were well intentioned but counterproductive. He was very concerned with the health and morale of his crew (which is admirable) but his men chafed at the daily mandatory ration of sauerkraut (an experiment in warding off scurvy) and Bligh's reaction was to line up the men every day and personally ensure every one ate his ration, which was seen as humiliating. Similarly, Bligh imposed periods of 'mandatory fun' in the evenings where the men were required to dance, sing and sky-lark which was entirely counterproductive.

Woof. Morale will continue until the beatings improve.

But seriously thanks for the navyposting, y'all are helping to fill in the blanks for me on the stuff I've already absorbed from Aubrey-Maturin.

How'd the sauerkraut experiment work out, anyway? I know ascorbic acid is pretty fragile and doesn't survive cooking, but pickling?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

As a food technologist professionally I can you that
A) Canning involves high heat (applied after the can is sealed)
B) Ascorbic acid is very vulnerable to heat

Even much less intense processes can destroy the majority of vitamin C. Modern orange juice is pasteurised for risk-management reasons, and as a result they have to add ascorbic acid back in to replace what was destroyed.

Yeah, I keep bottles of from-concentrate lemon and lime juice on hand for cooking, and iirc they both say they're not a source of vitamin C. Wouldn't be surprised if they just don't add it back. It's definitely not in the ingredients list.

BalloonFish posted:

Apparently the problem that Cook and Bligh had was that the Navy procured large quantities of sauerkraut prepared in iron cooking vessels, which gave it an unpleasant metallic taste. That's why the men had to be almost forced to eat their daily ration of the stuff, and one reason why lime juice became the preferred method.

I'd lay actual money that another reason is that sauerkraut tastes terrible mixed into your daily grog ration.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've known for years I could never visit that place and keep a straight face

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Is it the good kind of terraforming like with beavers?

Beavers are great where the local vegetation has evolved in concert with beavers

Not so much in Tierra del Fuego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry to barge in with WW2 poo poo but does anyone have a copy of the meme that was like Who Would Win: IJN Glorious Victory of the Shining Dawn Wind vs USS Me and My Thirteen Brothers That Look Exactly Like Me

E: VVV thank you!

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 8, 2024