Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

"For Courage"? I guess he showed a lot of spunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SerCypher posted:

You could argue that the reforms the Qing army made after the second opium war were dramatic and sweeping.

Within 20 years they went from a disorganized banner system composing of horse archers, melee troops and matchlock teams, to something capable of facing european troops in serious battle.

France badly underestimated them in their war over vietnam, and were only saved by their navy, and the fact that Japan was causing trouble in Korea. On the ground the Qing Dynasty was winning.

What's something good to read about the military reforms in particular?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

Supposedly the editor of one of the big science fiction magazines (GALAXY or AMAZING STORIES or something) figured something was up when he noticed a whole bunch of his subscribers from Ithaca, NY and Princeton, NJ and other college towns had filed change of address requests to the same post office in some empty quarter of the New Mexico desert.

e:f,b!

Related, here's a science fiction fan claiming to have deduced the Manhattan Project from the news blackout on uranium. I don't quite believe it, but the broad strokes are plausible:

quote:

In the first edition of Willy Ley's book Rockets and Space Travel, he said he didn't see how Uranium-235 could possibly be applied to rocketry. This was before the A-bomb. I wrote him a castigating letter — me, a 15-year-old kid arguing with the great expert — saying of course you could apply atomic energy to space flight. Willy wrote me back saying he could not comment because the military wasn't allowing anyone to talk about U-235. I linked that with the fact that I hadn't been able to find any recent information on U-235. In 1939, everyone had been talking about it freely. I notice you've got the facsimile edition of the July 1939 Astounding in your bookcase there. The editorial is about U-235 and atomic energy. Suddenly in 1940 — boing! — all references to U-235 disappeared from the journals. Yet I knew they couldn't have just lost interest. My natural speculation was that a military project was afoot and, considering the complete silence, I assumed it must be a realistic, practical military project. They weren't thinking of using U-235 in the Third World War; they were planning to use it in the Second! I argued this with my friend Bruce Knight. I was saying there must be a secret atomic bomb project and we're going to drop an A-bomb on the Japanese very soon. He pooh-poohed me. We argued until three in the morning. The next day, while I was mowing my lawn, Bruce came down the street white-faced. "Guess what," he said. "What?" "You won the argument." "What?" "They've just dropped an A-bomb on Japan!"

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

Starting to wonder why they also call it Bull Run.

It's a long way from Pamplona, that's for sure.