Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

It's a bunch of recent veterans of a full scale peer level war and the other two aren't, so.

The Crimean war ended in 1856, surely there would be some vets left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Thomamelas posted:

One of the saddest crimes against humanity that Pokemon Go is responsible for is saving John Ringo from suicide. He credits Pokemon Go with pulling him out of suicidal depression.

Uncool

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They did get a different finnish badass, please ignore he was in the SS too

Maybe the only man to lose to communists in three separate armies?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

zoux posted:

If anybody's got it coming...

Was this the only reprisal by American forces vs. SS and concentration camp guards? I can guess what happened to the guards in camps liberated by the Red Army.

My grandfather didn't mind telling people that when his pow camp was liberated by British troops, they were asked if any of the guards had mistreated them. Those guards were taken for a walk and didn't come back. They were probably Wehrmacht though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think there's a Dachau scene in Shutter Island

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You haven't been following too closely if you think British law isn't written.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

MikeCrotch posted:

Reminds me of how Herbert Sobel, the hardass officer in command of Easy company in Band of Brothers, had such a miserable life postwar that he shot himself in the side of the head, but managed to miss his brain and only severed his optic nerves, rendering him blind but alive.

He has an extremely depressing wiki article.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nenonen posted:

Didn't stop Napoleon III from rising to power (but then to him it was more of a benefit at that point). I would think that enough time has passed from Charles II that it won't matter here, they're not even related and he has just as much power in the United Kingdom as Mickey Mouse has in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure that if e.g. monarchy was restored to Russia then the first guy wouldn't take the regent name of Ivan, though.

If Mickey Mouse was the official source of all legitimacy in government and also lobbied really hard behind the scenes to stop gay marriage

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

zoux posted:

I expect a lotta dlc with this one

True to the source material this game is extremely repetitive and frustrating

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SeanBeansShako posted:

I swear their older games had much crisper nicer sounding gun shot sound effects.

Maybe? The way sound interacts with the environment is better in Isonzo though. Like it interacts at all

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ulmont posted:

rear end end of Alaska
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eareckson_Air_Station

Also in contention, rear end end of Greenland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Air_Base

US/UK base in the middle of the Indian Ocean that's there for literally no reason
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Support_Facility_Diego_Garcia

e;f,b re Diego Garcia.

Diego Garcia exists so when you're signing up you can tell yourself you might end up on the tropical island instead of the falklands

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tulip posted:

It is legitimately my favorite WW2 source of them all and the fact that I only learned about it like 2 days ago makes me feel like the WW2 guys are deliberately holding out on the cool stuff.

No. Now shut up and read your exhaustive documentation of European manganese output

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grimnarsson posted:

So that new All Quiet on the Western Front on netflix? Americans have way more respect for the source material than Germans do :D A rare look at the German WWI tank in action though not in a way one might expect.

I think those are Saint-Chamonds.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I stopped reading Das Reich when he decided a book about an ss unit was a good place to list the vile crimes of the French resistance, but only the communist ones. You see, they stupidly insisted on attacking the Germans and shooting collaborators.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Libluini posted:

yeah, but I would have already gotten suspicious at the title, :lol:

To be fair to Hastings the book is clear that the SS were terrible, but the Tory in him apparently can't criticise nazis without also having a go at the people fighting the nazis.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Looks like the profile of a valued ally against communism to me

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's a guy wearing jeans and a t shirt in one scene and that's fine but the trees aren't quite right, we might have to cancel the film

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's a statue of Lincoln in Manchester (England) because the local textile workers refused to work with Confederate cotton. That's my fun us civil war fact.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Hey has anyone seen that tweet about pre-18th century war being fun?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nah, not at all, but like dude across multiple threads including this one already you've made it really clear you don't like me, so can you just send a mean pm or something instead of constantly reiterating

if we're posting foes now just gonna point out only one of us is on the most ignored users of all time list, and it ain't me

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

two fish posted:

How appalled were Allied soldiers when they liberated the camps? I wouldn't expect that they knew just how bad it really was until they actually saw it with their own eyes, and that must have been extremely traumatic.

Appalled enough that not all the guards survived. So sad

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, yeah, he's on Twitter.

Dumb. Like there isn't an entire political spectrum of idiots on Ecks.com

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it true that in Hanoi the war with America is commemorated with some plinth somewhere and the war with China is commemorated with a colossal racewar cathedral?

The Vietnam War memorial looks pretty substantial to me.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dopilsya posted:

Paris is well worth a massacre

The Red Army battles its way through Europe at immense cost, only to have a breakdown when they get to Paris and realise it's a dirty shithole

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Xiahou Dun posted:

The best part of Xenophon’s Anabasis is when poo poo really is hitting the fan and they start ditching supplies. Everything that’s not a weapon, armor or immediately useful for getting food goes. And the very last thing, after treasure and family heirlooms and poo poo, the dearest thing to them, was a retinue of “beautiful young boys”. Just this whole long thing about how poo poo’s getting real now ; so real they couldn’t bring their twinks.

It’s a good book. Highly recommend if you get a good translation.

That's pretty dark

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
There's something in Finnish DNA that makes them desperate to lose wars against communists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

some things I remember from the WW2 channel video on it:

Molotov met with the US ambassador in Moscow and seemed genuinely sad and upset about it
the japanese PM (suzuki iirc) sent an official letter of condolences
Hitler gloated and said it was the miracle of Brandenburg just as he had always predicted :rolleyes:

Was Hitler... An rear end in a top hat?