Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'd like to see a side by side comparison of as many gear pieces as you want to upload. Add in a little descriptor for each as well and that would be great.
Even better would be a final showing of all the poo poo that only one side had or the different types of gear that the various sides used to solve the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Was there any noticeable difference in the weight of the gear for your average infantryman across the various nations?
If there was, did they still manage to bring supplies and equipment to last a similar number of hours/days?
Were they reliant on different locally sourced resources?
How long could a soldier expect to be without a piece of (not firearm) gear before getting an official replacement?

E: thought of another question:

How was ammo distributed among say a squad on regular patrol, was there special bags for one or more of the soldiers to carry extra ammo for the whole squad?
Was this universal for all the various nations?

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 10, 2020

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'll try to be more specific then:

Cessna posted:

I've worn modern stuff when I was in the service, plus WWII German and Soviet stuff. There's no single answer here, because you'll carry different stuff depending on the situation and mission.

Lets say heading train unloading point A to expected headquarters sorting area before shipping to actual front line. The poo poo you carry with you from the garrison to the duty assignment. Not the actual mission tweaked loadout, just getting dude from rear to here with his own gear.

Cessna posted:

Again, situation dependent. If you're on a long march out of contact with the enemy you'll carry different (probably more) gear than you would on a patrol.

We'll go with the same situation, rear line transfer carrying your own general gear during transit. Any food or drink (iron rations or what have you) carried along or is that strictly controlled and distributed at specific points along the way?

Cessna posted:

Not really, but they'd loot stuff when you could. There are plenty of photos of, say, German soldiers stealing cows, chickens, bottles of wine, that sort of thing.

I was wondering how much difference there was in expected supply of water and whether different armies would bring water trucks or barrels of water along with the supply train or if they just planned to find a stream soonish.

Cessna posted:

There's no single answer here, it entirely depends on the situation.

Hans manages to gently caress up his gas mask canister through liberal application of alcohol and some applied physics. This happens in France sometime around....lets say august 41. Following a fairly colorful conversation with the nearest NCO, would he just be poo poo out of luck or would he "find" a replacement? Or would the army send him another one with lots of flowery words about looking after your gear in a more proper german manner in the future.

Lets say the same thing happens to an american infantryman sometime in august 44. same result? (less german mannered gear care lecture I presume)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So in a prolonged firefight who would be saddled with the job of getting more ammo? By prolonged i mean a fight where the leader is reasonably sure that the first half of their mg ammo is long gone and it doesn't look like the fight is over when the other half runs out.

Are the assistant loaders going for a run, do the rifleman detach to go find more ammo, do the mg team stop firing and the rifles get told to work harder, does the whole squad call in a replacement squad or a bunch of supply dudes? Lets say its something like the battle of Caen. If I recall correctly, that fight took them a while to finish. I know the situation will be throwing ridiculous curve balls at any attempt at a general answer here, but was is the "by the book" expected way to handle an effective, correctly ammo-conserving mg team simply running out of ammo due to the length of the fight?

Also, at what point is squad considered officially combat impaired or combat ineffective? If the gunner gets hit I presume a rifleman or assistant can take over. Since the squad is the leader with his thug and their rifle boys, I don't expect the squad to be considered out of the fight until the mg is silent. (maybe if the leader is downed?)

This is great stuff, thanks for bothering to reply to my stream of questions Cessna

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Awesome! thanks for all the details.

Okay so I got this mental image of the army being a fuckton of running to get to where you have to wait for the truck that takes you to the place that gets your gear dirty and then takes you back so you can clean it all. Some shooting may also be involved here and there.

Did they bring their own maintenance/cleaning material or did they go draw that from the quartermaster when there were deployed to a post?
How does the answer vary from garrison duty vs. front sector, but actually rear line duty vs. front line first/second line? Is there any change in the way this is done compared to ww1?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cessna posted:

Are we talking about modern stuff, like a US soldier in Iraq?

Good question, has the loadout changed between the two scenarios? does one of the two examples make the soldier carry his own gear-cleaning toothbrush and essential oils?

Cessna posted:

Most of their time, from what I can piece together, was spent cleaning, doing exercise, marching, having inspections, listening to Wagner, and attending endless lectures on how to be more of a racist piece of human trash.

At the front, well, you're fighting. If you get a chance you wipe off the dirt, then go back to fighting.

You said yourself that maintenance was the name of the game (when we were arguing about crewless tanks). I am trying to figure out how many of the maintenance supplies were carried along by the troops and how they were expected to replenish those supplies.

I remember reading a book on the first world war where a german sailor bitched about being unable to get the stuff he needed to maintain and repair his uniform (he was stationed on one of german high seas warships parked in harbor for almost the entire war). What really pissed him off was the fact that he was to get his materials from the ship's stores, but there weren't any materials to be had. When he was found a fault during inspection for having poorly maintained uniform, he tried to argue that he was not supplied with any materials to do the maintenance and was told: "poor excuse! Do better!"

So a sailor gets his stuff from the ship. The infantry gets their stuff from the....quartermaster back in garrison? sketchy looking dude in a back alley somewhere near Lodz? squad leader dressed up like Nazi Santa? nearest non-bombed out shop? Does replacement rags for the oiling and lubing and cleansing of the empero......Fuhrer's god given rifle go in the sold book?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Thanks for all the good info man! I gotta go get some sleep but I'll try to think up some more (and more coherent) questions for tomorrow.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, my neighbor is a 99 year old WW2 vet from England. He was the navigator for an Avro Lancaster heavy bomber... he started as a mechanic, because only gentlemen flew, and then the war used up all their gentlemen and he was promoted into action. The Lancaster had a wingspan of 102', and he was involved in the world's first night bombing campaigns... as hundreds of planes from across Europe would converge on a location within a three minute window and just bomb it to rubble, taking note of any V2 missiles they saw heading the other way and reporting the headings for the DH Mosquitos to fly back in the morning and try to find the trucks the missiles were launched from.

After the war was over, his neighborhood in the East End of London had been largely demolished. Along with the way that Bomber Crew were not treated quite as heroically as the rest of the soldiers, what with all the bombing they did, he moved with his wife, who invaded France as a radio operator, to America to start a new life.

In the 80s he gave a statement to PBS about his experiences, which drew attention from the neighborhood. He wound up giving presentations about the war from living rooms across the city. Through the 80s and 90s he spoke to individuals, small parties, and classrooms about being a bomber pilot. But around 2000 interest dried up--he says a sheet fell across America, and the youth of today are not interested in the war the way the youth of the previous generation were.

I've offered to record him doing his presentation in the basement, to share online with basically anyone interested. I never thought it would be a breakout viral hit or anything, but that his story is interesting and worth preserving, before this century old man who insists on shoveling his own sidewalk takes a final trip. He, however, worries that no one would be interested, and that it would be a waste of time and energy for both of us. Certainly, opinions on the English bombing campaign over Europe were never overwhelmingly positive.

So my question is, given that he's old enough that he doesn't give a presentation as sharply as he used to, and I'm not a film student and will be recording on an iPad, are his concerns accurate? Would people be interested in hearing what he has to say about his experiences during and after the war? I'd cut any dead air but the final result would be pretty rough.

I would love to hear his stories and I am certain my father and his network of retired officers (danish army) would love to hear them as well.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Mystic Mongol posted:

More positive reactions would certainly help me convince him, :frogsiren:Hint Hint. If anyone wants to be encouraging without filling this thread with posts about a project that might not happen, feel free to send a Private Message, as I'm gonna print all of the responses out and show them to him.

My father has confirmed that he would also be very interested in hearing the interview.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BlueBull posted:

Thanks Tias, much appreciated. Do you have any recommendations on books for example that focus on these units?

I've come across some info on units in the 5th Gebirgs Division previously (no focus on Pioniere) and am under the impression that it was composed of Austrian troops. Is that correct?

this might help you widen your search:

http://www.niehorster.org/000_admin/000oob.htm

It contains a lot of detailed unit breakdowns for a lot of relevant nations during the WWII period.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 6, 2021

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
If i got the time to prepare for it, i'd probably set up a line of spikes behind a line of burning oil. Behind that we can place whatever poor bastards have to take out the injured stragglers that plow through. (assuming the enemy was groundbased anyways)

Other than that I suppose a fuckton of arrows volleyed at whatever swarms at my position.

A number of fishing nets tied to posts could also work to trip up the runners and have them trample each other to thin them out or funnel them into dead-end streets for a nice hail of "whatever throw-able heavy/pointy poo poo we got lying around".

I do not want to put mere humans up as a first line against anything otherworldly without some massive force multipliers that the first line men can see and expect to be able to rely on. Lines don't break from casualties taken, they break from loss of morale.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He’s up for questions about Korea and being a Pogue

How did the people back in the states treat you when you were being shipped out? (I'm thinking both about friends and family, but also about complete strangers passing you in the street)
How did they treat you in letters?
How did they treat you when you got back home?

How long did it take to adjust to the difference in time zones while having to do manual labor?
Were you allowed an acclimatization period before beginning your regular duties?
Could you describe your regular duties and were there any deviations from what your rank and official posting meant your duties were supposed to be?

Did you eat mostly local food or was it imported military rations?
Was the food good?
Was there enough food and clean drinking water?
How much time of any given day were you expected to spend on cleaning and maintaining your personal equipment and uniform?

Did you encounter any extreme weather?
How did your command structure handle weather problems such as severe winds, heavy snow/rain, heatwaves.

Please feel free to ignore or focus on any or all of these questions as they suit your interests.
Thank you for taking the time to talk about this with us.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I read it as XD wanting not to be read as agreeing with the strong gendering of machinist work, while agreeing that it makes sense given the historical realities.

I also read it this way. However it is also easy to see how you would read it in the way OneTruePecos and Vincent Van Goatse did.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He’s up for questions about Korea and being a Pogue

Oh I forgot to ask this:
I'm danish and haven't come across the word Pogue before, could he talk a little about what that word means in his case?

Going back over your post history, I can see that many of the questions I asked have already been entirely or partially answered. Just wanted to acknowledge that I have read what he has posted and would love to hear him talk more about any of the subjects I inquired about.

In general I would also love to have him talk about any and all technical detail he finds noteworthy or feels has changed beyond recognition since he served.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 16, 2021

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Thank you, much appreciated.

This sort of term can make a lot of first hand accounts completely illegible to any casual student of history (or at least to me) once you move a generation or two away from the time period in question.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Tias posted:

Hej danerøv!

Se: Tejning, Hængerøv, Døgenigt, Skruebrækker

Interestingly I only knew the last three of those, so its nice to see that its not just an issue due to english being my second language, its just me not knowing the slang/nicknames in general.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Lawman 0 posted:

Does anyone have a link to those Iran-Iraq war effort posts? They were last thread right?
Edit: Found one
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&pagenumber=542&perpage=40&userid=0#post474849107

He has his own webpage where he stores all the effort posts he makes:
https://www.gearsofhistory.com/

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Tomn posted:

Hey, can anybody recommend any WW2 memoirs from people serving on carrier aircraft maintenance crews? Also in general memoirs from the odd sides of war - was reading "Naples '44 - An intelligence officer in the Italian labyrinth" by Norman Lewis and it feels like there's a lot to look into in terms of daily life in an army outside of the front lines and command tents.

http://70yearsago.com/

Chick Bruns served in the Army during WWII, was a Sergeant in the 3rd Division, 10th Combat Engineers and participated in 5 invasions; Africa, Sicily, Italy, Anzio and France. He was awarded the Purple Heart, French Croix De Guerre with Palm and 2 Presidential Unit Citations.

This one is probably more what you are looking for, even though it is being posted in a frustrating manner:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/i-found-my-91-year-old-fathers-us-navy-aircraft-carrier-diary-world-war-ii-100777

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 4, 2021

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Valtonen posted:

You misspelled “sitting on motor pool watching tanks rust into nonbeing as a tangible example of entropy” when talking about what combat units do in garrison.

GWOT did a number on the heavy units.

Garrison units are fighting every day.
Some days they are fighting the local population in bars.
Some days they are fighting the MPs.
Some days they are fighting those disciplinary charges.
Some days they are fighting among themselves.
Some days they are fighting their impulse to tell all of command to go gently caress themselves with well abused wirebrush.
Most days they are fighting to stay awake through a powerpoint lecture.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

MrBling posted:

I figured I might share a post about something that happened in World War 2 that probably isn't that widely known.

There was a Danish military operation in China in the early months of 1942.

Okay, this is something I did not learn in school (Danish civilian here).

Do you have any book suggestions for me to read up on this? This is some fascinating poo poo.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

MrBling posted:

All the info I know about it comes from a Henrik Kauffmann biography called Uden Mandat. https://www.bog-ide.dk/produkt/4977743/bo-lidegaard-uden-mandat

it's a really good and interesting book.

Much appreciated, thanks!

I'll try to snag myself a copy when I get the chance.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cessna posted:

I saw entirely too many inept assholes who only held authority or rank due to seniority, who spend their time discouraging and abusing the good people under their command in the name of "discipline," only resulting in the good people getting out and the poor leaders getting more responsibility due to seniority to think that this is the best system we could come up with.

It is not the best system we could come up with. It is the best system those inept assholes could come up with. Since the good people got out, that is all we've got.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Tias posted:

Bumpin' dis

This one might be worth a look. Not sure if you wanted a specific region or just anything from that period.

Medicinens historie
By Yavor Mendel, John Kaisermann, Milos Pawlowski

This in itself is extremely brief and likely worthless, but if you wander down to the source list, you get yourself a page or two of other reading material to check out.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Seconding The Fleet at Flood Tide. Its a very readable mix of storytelling and history book that takes you from the curb stomping of Truk and then onwards to the invasions of Tinian, Saipan and Guam, the invasion of Iwo Jima (only very lightly touched), invasion of Okinawa and then the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Chamale posted:

What was the briefing like for the pilots who flew the atom bomb missions? I assume they were told exactly what to expect, did any of them ever write what they were told and if it included any mention of the enormous project that went into making the bombs?

Just gonna go ahead and recommend "The Fleet at Flood Tide" for your upcoming reading list. It includes chapters that focus on Paul Tibbets and his career through the whole war and also goes into some detail about the training, information and secrecy heaped upon the whole squadron under his command. It also mentions some of his post war experiences with people trying to drag him into their political view upon the use of the bomb.

E: Didn't see I had been beaten to the punch.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 31, 2021

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I've quoted your request and passed it on to my father (retired danish major of the reserves) who might be able to tap into his network of old danish officers and their NATO exercise experiences.
I've also passed the request on to a Belgian friend of mine who is historically inclined and his father who served in the Belgian army and may have some knowledge through joint operations experiences as well.

No clue when or if a response will appear of course.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Go play Waves of Steel and it should be doable.
A mod would be needed to get the Bismood model in, but that is doable.
Due to supply limitations you'll have to make do with 21" quad barrel guns.
Or you can go the full length and put in the 39.4 gun instead

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

All time before the concept of the nation-state would be an obvious contender : how are you defining "country"?

Dunno what Baron Porkface's definition would be, but I'd like to ask the same question with the specification "specific populated territory, that is generally recognized by it's regional peers as an entity, which is either independent or administrated separately by a neighboring entity".

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

Okay, and seriously not being snarky, but how would that exact definition not apply to my neighbor’s house, population Kathy? It’s inhabited, has a distinct regional identity, is administered differently, etc. in opposition to my house, but it obviously isn’t a country.

So like, when does Rome become a country under this definition? How many kinds of China do I get to count? These are really basic questions you need definite answers to before you could start calculating what an answer could be. Otherwise I can just do silly semantic games and give any arbitrary number of things and call them “countries”. If you ain’t ruling out The Free Duchy of Kathy and her colonial holdings by The Disputed Fence, I don’t think it’s gonna go well later on.

I love this post. It gives me "Holy Roman Empire: Extreme pendantry mode" vibes and that is just hilarious to me.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Perhaps we can remove some loopholes if we include the requirement that that country must be wholly in control of the majority of its municipal services? Stuff like sewage and water treatment, power generation if applicable, public road maintenance, tax collection, bureaucratic nonsense departments, health care administration and postage service.

So if such systems exists they should be directly controlled through the majority of the chain (including landfills, treatment plants, medical centers, power plants, postage offices, large building containing pencil pushers.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

feedmegin posted:

Soooo - is Scotland a country, or not?

Now do Wales.

well that depends, are they generally recognized as separate realms by their regional peers? depending on what year we are talking, Scotland is certainly a country. Wales I'm gonna be honest and tell you that I don't have a firm enough grasp of their history to know when and how they would be defined as one or more sovereign entities.

All those extra specifications were more of an attempt to narrow the range of possible nations down for Xiahou Dun and his nationstate of Kathy's house example.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think there's some miscommunication going on here, if it's from me I apologize.

The point isn't literal, but it's a good example of the problem. Obviously my neighbor's house isn't a country, no one would say it is, it's ridiculous. The point was, that by the actual criteria in your post I was responding to, a good argument (in very bad faith) could be made that my neighbor's house fulfills them all and is thus a country :

Kathy's house is a specific territory populated by Kathy. Everyone recognizes it as an entity. And it is administered independently.

And with the elaboration on things like dealing with sewage or water treatment, you immediately get two questions : 1) What happens if Kathy decides to live off the grid and build [whatever you just required]? 2) What about the countries that don't have whatever arbitrary industrial or bureaucratic feature? If Lichtenstein suddenly loses its sewage system, does it become an un-country?

I don't have a horse in the race on what "counts as a country" specifically because it only matters if you care about there being a pre-defined idea of what it takes to be a country. If you want to know the answer to "how many X's" are there, it's pretty dang important to know what an X is. I've been using my silly example with someone's house, but, seriously, under your personal definition : how many Chinas are there right now?

Edit : gently caress, that was a lovely snype. Umm. How common were estocs? I always thought they would be a moderately obscure civilian weapon that a minority of enthusiasts used, but I recently realized I had no evidence for that beyond "it made sense to me so I just ran with it, I guess".

Oh don't worry, I'm just having fun here trying to expand on a silly question. The list of services and utilities were examples that would very quickly become utterly meaningless as soon as we look at the whole planet. If Kathy's house is recognized and administered independently, then yes that one is easily a country in my book. Regarding the China question I'd say there are at least 2 Chinas. Taiwan and The People's Republic of China. I know that sounds contradictory due to the aggressive insistence of at least the PRC that other nations can only recognize one China at a time, but to me, that insistence is a sort of tacit acknowledgement of there being a second China for them to compete with in the first place. Given a lack of other contenders that I am aware of, this must mean Taiwan is also a separate China.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cessna posted:

The US Naval War College in the inter-war era had a whole color system for navies in their exercises. From the book The Blue Sword:

Blue = USA
Black = Germany
Orange = Japan
Red = Great Britain
Crimson = Canada
Scarlet = Australia
Garnet = New Zealand
Ruby = India
Gold = France
Silver = Italy
Olive = Spain
Green = Mexico
Brown = Netherlands
Purple = USSR
Lemon = Portugal
Citron = Brazil
Yellow = China
Indigo = Iceland
Emerald = Eire
Gray = Azores
Tan = Cuba

Coloring the Netherlands as brown instead of orange is a beautiful way of insulting the house of Orange.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
What else is he gonna spend his time on?
Rule the nation? He had people to do all that.
Converse with his adoring subjects? His ministers would really really really rather he didn't.
Conduct foreign diplomacy? See above.
Go hunting? Sure, but that gets dull after a month or two of constant rampaging through the countryside.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Also if you already have a decent map of the region with an up to date road/rail layout, you can start to work out where the supply trucks are going to have to move through. Once you know that, you'll have an idea of which houses/villages/natural fortifications will be likely to hold a regular defensive force, which will be likely held to the last bullet and which will be garrisoned at most by a sacrificial unit like rearguard snipers or the unluckiest squad of the day.

This takes time though, so it is something that needs to have a staff unit seriously invested in it working out.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Breaking away from Clancy chat for a moment here:

Lemony posted:

Completely unrelated, one of my parents recently sent me digitized copies of some of my great-uncle's papers. He was a radio operator/gunner with RAF Coastal Command in WW2. Flew primarily in Liberators I think. His plane was lost over the Bay of Biscay during a patrol in 1943. I've got his flight logbook, some training papers, stuff like that. Fairly routine stuff. I'd ask if anyone was interested in seeing them, but I'm going to err on the side of just posting. However, I wanted to ask if there was any type of info on them I should ensure I black out before posting them.

This sounds very interesting, so yeah please post away.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is the purpose of this painting of a screened road just camouflage I assume?

Yup, anything that reduces the enemy's ability to observe your movements along the very limited number of roads is a good thing.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'm guessing that food shortages would have hit the Black population hardest, especially in the south. Disease probably also ran rampant as resources went to the war effort instead of keeping the slaves alive long enough to be economically feasible.
Once you add on massive overworking (even compared to the "normal" overworking conditions) that has got to wear people down real quick.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd give it to the 110 actually.

Cutting edge design at the time that used multiple engines to achieve results that single-engined fighters couldn't match.

Mediocre maneuverability but that's OK since it's main job is to go fast and catch bombers.

Final versions have a gently caress load of radar in order to let it find and kill enemies in ways that were nigh-magical at the time (night time for the Bf-110, BVR for the F-14).

Has a backseater that ultimately ends up being there to handle sensor overload while the pilot focuses on flying and shooting.

Solid enough design that it was able to continue in service well past what the designers would have probably considered the sell-by date.

I had the chance to see a 110 in person a few years ago. There is one in a small private museum in Denmark. I'm absolutely certain that it is still there since they assembled it inside the main display building and didn't realize they had built it around a support beam until it was too late to go back and change things.

I can try to dig up the info of the place if someone wants to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes please.

This is of course a small hobbyist affair and that means their presence online is extremely limited.

https://www.facebook.com/www.gillelejegruppen.dk/
Definitely check out the photos section on their facebook page if tanks are your thing.
They had themselves the 110 as the centerpiece and then a huge amount (for an organization of their size) of various tanks, trucks, special vehicles, artillery and general equipment for the WW2 period.

Tias posted:

Where in Denmark was this?

Gilleleje, so northern part of Sjælland.

Here, have some images from when I was there in 2016:

You can easily spend hours in just one of the buildings, only to discover that they have 4 or 5 of them stuffed with awesome exhibits.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 26, 2022