Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr Enderby posted:

I would like some Military Revolution chat. What would happen if a European 15th century army faced an 18th century one? Was it a matter of an increase of overall state capacity, or was there a fundamental improvement in tactics?

The 15th century army would get wrecked nearly every time I'm sure. Greater state capacity means the 18th century army is going to be much bigger, and I don't even know what the 15th century army is supposed to do against field artillery guarded by lines of musket infantry. March away I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Withdraw into their impenetrable stone castles!

<Salivates Orbanly>

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Memento posted:

As an aside, I saw this on twitter not long ago

:eyepop:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Comstar posted:

Firing Napoleonic artillery should be an Olympic sport. Add horses and time to move, unlimber, deploy, fire, hit the target, reload and fire 3 times, relimber and get back to the start line.

Sadly there's no shooting but yeah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhx6Q3WuvU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Those look like absolutely tiny charges, Napoleonic would probably be more smoke.

The video of those guys shooting ACW cannons at that APC also includes shots from behind the crews, you can see how much smoke is being generated by single guns firing at a leisurely pace on a windy day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s&t=183s

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 23, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Another video of the same, bit better quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTGRv4DkD0

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Didn't the Germans inadvertantly beat out the British plan to do mostly the same thing?

Yeah, and a British force had already left to go start laying mines in Norwegian waters too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know if it's based on any exact studies by the General Staff, but it's rooted in the fact that Russia was rapidly modernizing it's infrastructure and industry using French capital (provided largely in order to help them serve as a counterweight to Germany), and Russia's far larger population.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So what you're saying is yes, Germany started the war.

Austria-Hungary with their failure to accept Serbia's near complete capitulation is the most responsible, but beyond that all the major powers were pretty much equally complicit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

After the initial Exocet attacks, didn't France start feeding Britain technical information on how to best defeat the missiles?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Were any non-British warships lost to catastrophic magazine detonations in the WW1 to say, present day time frame?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Warden posted:

After the Civil War everyone on the winning side used "Freedom war" most often. Nowadays, it is seen so politically charged thanks to massacres Whites perpetrated after their victory that few people use it.

The majority of White Guards were farmers, albeit ones who owned their own small plots of land, so "Class war" is not a very good name. In 1920 about 66% percent of the Finnish workforce got their living from farming, with only about 15% earning their living from working in industry.

Right, but what is the proportion of people who are large well-off landowners? I don't know poo poo about Finland in the 1910-20s so don't take this as an attack, but 66% of people making their living from farming does not mean that there wasn't a class of land owners and a class of agricultural labourers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cross posting from the OSHA thread, apparently there exists film of HMS Barham capsizing as it's rear magazine detonates. Fair warning: 862 people died in this event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrISbwy_zI

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cessna posted:

As an aside, scale models often show these tools on the outside of the vehicle. Yes, there are special racks/loops for things like the shovel, but these were pretty much never used in my experience. Stowing gear outside the vehicle leads to it getting knocked off or damaged, or rusting in the rain. I'm sure other militaries have different procedures, but I don't think we ever stored our tools on the outside of the vehicle.

Where do you store a shovel inside a tank? Is the handle as long as the typical garden shovel? Curious where exactly you lay that bad boy down.

In an IFV probably easier since you could stash wherever the infantry go?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arban posted:

Not to mention that the British invasion of the Norwegian coast got delayed by a few days wich let the Germans get there first. If they had run into British troops already on the shore and possibly engaging Norwegian forces, the result would have been ... Messy ( not to mention the possibility of the Brit force being slightly less delayed and both forces trying to land at the same place at the same time. The word clusterfuck springs to mind)

A three way Britain vs Norway vs Germany battle really should have been a Battlefield V map.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

White Coke posted:

I hate to get in the middle of this argument, but it's aroused my curiosity. Did they realize that having some spin was beneficial to fin stabilized rounds after they started switching to smoothbores, or was it something they realized before switching, hence those attachments to make them spin less in rifled barrels, and they just switched to smoothbore barrels firing fins with slight angles later to save on cost?

Having some spin being good is somewhat obvious, gyroscopic stabilization is the whole point of rifling to begin with; it seems all but certain any gun/projectile designer would have been aware of this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The problem is that as projectile length:diameter
increases the spin rate needed to gyroscopically stabilize it becomes higher, and as long rod penetrators want to be all length and no width you’d have to spin them at impractically high rates for stabilization.

Oh drat yeah that is an excellent point, I hadn't even thought about that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MarsellusWallace posted:

Good points is what long rod penetrators are all about.

:golfclap:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah go look up WW1 monitors, they're wild. Take the biggest surplus turret you can find, stick it on the smallest hull that can carry it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And that hot turbine might rely on pulling in cool-ish air, and without it would start to overheat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

bewbies posted:

do you ever watch a thing, and afterwards, wonder what the gently caress was that i just watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7F5tef1ACE

is one of those things

I've seen that several times, and aside for how God damned sympathetic it makes me feel for the people inside burning tanks, that second or third tank shot really bothers me. My brain is convinced that the gun blast should disrupt the haystack the tank is concealed under.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cessna posted:

I like the T-34 v. Panther duel on the same bridge where Harry Potter defeated Voldemort.

Wait is that a real bridge? That one in particular stood out to me as looking overwhelmingly like a videogame render in the wide shots.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Assuming time machines or massive geopolitical shifts: would you guys go to a nuclear test shot if you could?

In a heartbeat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pinball posted:

I'm currently reading Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson, and I'm starting to realize I may have bit off more than I can chew in terms of Thirty Years' War history books. I got it in my head to learn about the war after realizing it was one of the deadliest wars in Europe and I knew next to nothing about it. I normally read things that are more social history as opposed to super- focused troop movements, and this is granular to the point of confusion. I'm about a third of the way in and I still don't understand how the Holy Roman Empire's system of governance works or why exactly this war was so deadly, but I did learn exactly how many people were deployed in which groups at the Battle of White Mountain. Any recs for something a bit more focused or easier to read? Maybe a biography of Ferdinand or this von Mansfeld guy who nobody seems to like?

You should fix the bolded part by reading Peter H Wilson's other massive book, The Holy Roman Empire! :v:

Also you don't understand why it's so deadly because that part largely hasn't happened yet, it more of the middle third that really kills everybody as the devastation of Germany really kicks into high gear.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 28, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Eventually your blast radius is going to have to deal with the curvature of the earth right?

Yes, but the wastage by throwing energy out into space is far more significant.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Even works well on the app, well done sir

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh hey it's the only decent PragerU video

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Germany taking a few years to beat France doesn't sound like something that would ever result in them coming out ahead but like, also not something that could realistically happen?

Like Germany doesn't get lucky in the Ardennes and the war settles into a stalemate, you've still got the US slowly gearing up and with Japan probably still pulling Pearl Harbor and bringing them into the war you now have within a couple years a whole bunch of pissed off Americans with easy access to the continent to bolster France and Britain.

Yeah I don't see how Germany beats France at all without beating them the way they did.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

This gets really tragic post war when you have instances like the Kielce and Jedwabne pogroms where returning Jews - many of them camp survivors just looking for surviving family - were murdered.

Why? Well, tons of reasons but the two that stand out are “we wanted you gone and you came back” and “we don’t want to give back all that poo poo we took from your homes after the Germans rounded you up”

I know nothing about those incidents other than what I read on the wiki just now, but what do you make of the claims about Kielce being organized by the Soviet authorities? It sounds very much like a lovely deflection strategy: "well there's no evidence they organized it, which must be because they burned the records!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's much bigger than I would have thought. Was it ever actually worn? Like I wouldn't expect it to be outside of a coronation, but still. Is it intended to fit on top of a helmet or something?

E: or maybe Otto I just had a big old head?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Doesn't English as primary language just correlate with relatively high labor cost countries?

I'd suspect that it's more that English speaking governments have been the most deeply infected with neoliberal brainworms, and nearly everything has been privatized, meaning that our governments are now poo poo at planning, as none of the expertise is in house. When effective government action is avoided because it threatens private sector profit, government action won't be very effective.

But I know nothing about Scandinavian/German/French governments, so I could be wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

I think the YouTube algorithim has finally noticed that I subscribe to Drachinifel and taken that as the cue to fill my timeline with archival navy footage. Going into more recent naval history, is this film All of One Company, covering an early deployment by HMS Coventry in 1980, made all the more poignant by the fact that the ship would be sunk in the Falklands less than two years after the film was made.

Yeah I also subscribed to him, and so (I think combining that with Smarter Every Day's Fast Attack Sub Series) YouTube has been hitting me up with a lot of Sub Brief videos. Pretty cool collection of declassified information on Cold War era submarines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?SubBrief?videos

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that looks very cozy. Like a very nice movie theatre seat

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chieftain says he liked to be unbuttoned as much as possible (and I think he served in Iraq at some point?); even if small arms was a thing you would try to stay at open-protected rather than buttoning up entirely.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is radar a useful thing for tank situational awareness?

The good thing to have is Thermals, which I think all modern tanks have now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I
Ugh
They
This is a mech. We've gone and invented mechs. I mean tanks aren't human-shaped, but there's basically zero space between the people and the metal. They're essentially wearing the tank. It's a mech now.

That's what tanks have been since like, the second time anyone built a tank. The reason they're still tank shaped and not mech shaped is because mechs are dumb and bad :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Wouldn’t the equipment necessary to make use out of pinpointing those emitters be observable as well? I’d expect there to be some sort of triangulation requirement to get any useable info out of the emissions and would require communication. Unless you’re going for a sneak attack or something like that which in armor is kind of lol.

If you want to triangulate you need the two receivers that have to communicate somehow. But with just one receiver you can see the EM signals and establish a bearing to look down to find the enemy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched T34 and uh, I know the Germans IRL were dumb (arrogant) enough to not bring winter clothes but leaving ammo in the tank after they explicitly said they would have no ammo....yeah :ccb:

It's not even arrogance really, there was plenty of winter gear in the rear, the problem was their logistical capacity was so overstretched that bringing it up meant giving up things like fuel and ammunition, which would have been more immediately fatal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How much did they even do in WW2? Obviously they were evacuating factories and such, but given how fast the German advance was, especially down the AG Center line of advance, I'm not sure how much time there would have been to wreck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I thought the last IJA fighter was widely regarded as excellent, they just didn't have the materials to build many or fly them.