Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Warden posted:

I could write an effort-ish post later about how unlikely Finnish independence was, and how several different events had to happen in very specific ways for it happen when it did, if anybody is interested.

:justpost:

I'd be into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm looking to read about the Soviet tank design process pre-WW2. Can anyone recommend a good book?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That Ensign Expendable guy has a good book that covers it a little/bit

Excellent! I'm gonna give him some money.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

In English? That's a pretty tough one. It's not a particularly popular topic even with Russian historians, and precious little has been translated. What era/vehicle are you looking for specifically?

My book covers the T-34, following how the lessons of the Spanish Civil War led to the transformation of the BT-7 into the A-20 and later the T-34, but the story of how it got there in the first place is pretty sparse. This of course is only a small subset of tank development that was happening at the time.

Mostly looking for the design process. How did they go from "Hey, we need a tank!" in the early 20's and end up with successful tanks like the T-34 and total weirdo stuff like the T-35. Did Stalin drive the design process? Was it design by committee? Did the factories themselves design them, or was it a design bureau?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There was a number of design bureaus. The first design group was set up way back in the 1920s, by the mid 1930s pretty much any factory building tanks had their own design bureau on hand. Stalin wasn't involved in anything directly except at the very highest level meetings where general requirements were set.

Is there anything (in English) about the Design Bureaus themselves? Even how the factories functioned would be really interesting.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There are some articles on the MS-1 that I haven't gotten around to translating yet that go over the work of the early design bureaus. I have a few articles that shed some light on the design process already up. These are both failed designs but they had a lot of promise and some big names were involved with them.

https://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-golden-standard.html
https://www.tankarchives.ca/2020/07/dead-end-on-wheels.html

Awesome, thanks dude!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pinball posted:

I'm currently reading Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson, and I'm starting to realize I may have bit off more than I can chew in terms of Thirty Years' War history books. I got it in my head to learn about the war after realizing it was one of the deadliest wars in Europe and I knew next to nothing about it. I normally read things that are more social history as opposed to super- focused troop movements, and this is granular to the point of confusion. I'm about a third of the way in and I still don't understand how the Holy Roman Empire's system of governance works or why exactly this war was so deadly, but I did learn exactly how many people were deployed in which groups at the Battle of White Mountain. Any recs for something a bit more focused or easier to read? Maybe a biography of Ferdinand or this von Mansfeld guy who nobody seems to like?

It starts to move quicker after they lay out all the groundwork 1/3 of the way into the book. I felt the same way learning about the various counts, electors, angry neighbors, Croats, Ottomans, Spanish, Italians, French, Hungarians, relations, Dutch... As someone not familiar with that era of European history it was kind of a tedious read. When the Swedes get involved the story picks up. There seemed like so much was going on that is either lost to history or this book didn't cover.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FPyat posted:

There are a lot of World War 2 memoirs floating around, to the point where all the books from a certain nation and combat branch look outwardly the same. Are there any that are particularly insightful or revealing, asides from With the Old Breed?

Check out The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich. It's a totally different take on the war memoir genre.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Chopstix posted:

Holy gently caress Sgt Reckless was badass and would make a great film, not like the dumb War Horse movie by Spielberg

What an opener for a career.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno, imagine if the Upper Peninsula of Michigan successfully broke away from the US...

Now let me tell you about the Superior state... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_(proposed_U.S._state)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

samcarsten posted:

I just saw Anthony Beevor has a book on the Russian Civil War. Is it any good? I like the rest of his work.

I just started it a week ago, just reached the part where they are throwing surrendering "junker" cadets into a blast furnace. Supposedly this is before it gets really bad. :staredog:

I'm just a casual, but he paints a good picture of the absolutely chaos prior to the Bolsheviks taking over.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

samcarsten posted:

Is Anthony Beevors book on the Russian revolution good? I’ve liked his other books.

Yes, I very much enjoyed it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

samcarsten posted:

cool, i asked in the other milhist thread and they said he whitewashes german warcrimes, which i distinctly do not remember from my previous readings of his work.

The Germans are covered briefly, but the focus is definitely on what is happening with the various Russian factions away from the front.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

army management rogue like rpg

Please, go on.