Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are we still posting links to old effort posts? My one and only real contribution to this thread was my grandfather's WWII Combat Dope Sheets a couple of years ago. I can dig up the rest of the posts pretty easily.

This would make a dope gang tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Does anyone have that clip of the japanese guys giving an aide poo poo for shaving because they don’t recognize him? Last few posts reminded me of it and I can’t find it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Awesome. Thank you!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

the long forgotten origins of the bang bus

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

TBH they should make the elected officials who voted for the war do the notifications. Or at the very least meet each family for more than a few seconds.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

lol it’s that simpsons gag but real life

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

What about recon and force recon units? I assume everything they would be designed to do is supplanted by long loiter time UAVs and other remote assets.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

The US did a brigade strength drop into Northern Iraq in 2003. Minimal resistance, all objectives achieved. Doesn't really prove anything except that they had a load of spare aircraft.

What I'd actually argue about is the utility of Airborne forces as a high readiness, high mobility force. Desert Shield dropped an airborne division into the Saudi Desert to square off against the Iraqi tanks. The bluff worked, but if the Iraqis had just gone hell for leather they could have minced the Airborne with their armoured battlegroups. The strategic mobility of these forces is high but their tactical mobility is Remain In Place and their firepower turns it into Die In Place against any competent opponent.

I suppose making the enemy make that choice is part of it tho, isnt it?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

taqueso posted:

Has anyone tried to catapult troops? It feels like something that Leonardo da Vinci might have come up with but maybe someone really attempted it?

Please refer to this documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iToRAfA-V0s

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

They should build a statue of whoever did him in, thank them for ending that madman's reign of terror.

Honestly a statue of Hitler muddy and terrified in a ditch while stuffing a luger in his mouth would be pretty great.

Look upon your idol ye nazis and despair

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, my neighbor is a 99 year old WW2 vet from England. He was the navigator for an Avro Lancaster heavy bomber... he started as a mechanic, because only gentlemen flew, and then the war used up all their gentlemen and he was promoted into action. The Lancaster had a wingspan of 102', and he was involved in the world's first night bombing campaigns... as hundreds of planes from across Europe would converge on a location within a three minute window and just bomb it to rubble, taking note of any V2 missiles they saw heading the other way and reporting the headings for the DH Mosquitos to fly back in the morning and try to find the trucks the missiles were launched from.

After the war was over, his neighborhood in the East End of London had been largely demolished. Along with the way that Bomber Crew were not treated quite as heroically as the rest of the soldiers, what with all the bombing they did, he moved with his wife, who invaded France as a radio operator, to America to start a new life.

In the 80s he gave a statement to PBS about his experiences, which drew attention from the neighborhood. He wound up giving presentations about the war from living rooms across the city. Through the 80s and 90s he spoke to individuals, small parties, and classrooms about being a bomber pilot. But around 2000 interest dried up--he says a sheet fell across America, and the youth of today are not interested in the war the way the youth of the previous generation were.

I've offered to record him doing his presentation in the basement, to share online with basically anyone interested. I never thought it would be a breakout viral hit or anything, but that his story is interesting and worth preserving, before this century old man who insists on shoveling his own sidewalk takes a final trip. He, however, worries that no one would be interested, and that it would be a waste of time and energy for both of us. Certainly, opinions on the English bombing campaign over Europe were never overwhelmingly positive.

So my question is, given that he's old enough that he doesn't give a presentation as sharply as he used to, and I'm not a film student and will be recording on an iPad, are his concerns accurate? Would people be interested in hearing what he has to say about his experiences during and after the war? I'd cut any dead air but the final result would be pretty rough.

Tell him that it's important to record his experience for the future even no matter how many people see it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I have a similar experience. My grandpa was a b17 gunner and was shot down. He spent a year in a camp and we still have the Texas flag he made there. I was at the point where I wasn’t old enough to want to learn about his experience and also not old enough for him to tell me.

e: I mean when he passed suddenly

TK-42-1 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 2, 2021

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

How did they not make one of these TK-421?

Because they didn't deserve the coolest name. :colbert:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Loezi posted:

Where, when and how did this naming scheme originate? I haven't really seen it used anywhere outside of the military context but absolutely loved in when I was in charge of the platoon CP and the associated equipment. All the check lists were so wonderfully easy to use when alphabetized in this way.

It's especially hilarious in Finnish, where long compound words are the norm. The FDF was recently looking for a "vastatykistömaalinosoitustutkakalustojärjestelmäinsinöörierikoisupseeri", roughly translating as "counter-artillery target designation radar equipment system engineer special officer".

It’s inventory tables. If you write everything out like that then you can find all the rulers and dig down from there.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I would guess they figured “we can wait for all these guys to make proposals and then sift through them and refine it to what we want. or we can pull all of them into the same room and have them do it our way from the get go.”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

My one grandfather who fought in WW2 never talked about it and I kinda wanted to find more about it. Also, cheap model planes and later trying to understand what had happened and why.

I was always into cool rear end jets and stuff for as long as I can remember. My dad used to take me to air shows as our thing and growing up in san antonio there were a lot of them and high quality. My moms dad was a gunner on b17s and spent a year or so in a camp after getting shot down. He died unexpectedly when I was in 6th grade and just getting old enough to wrap my head around war and things of a higher level than ‘dude shooting a rifle at another dude’ and I wanted to find out more about the mighty 8th and what they did and it kind of spiraled out from there. I’ve always been into tech too as a ‘wow that’s cool’ level enthusiast and the most cutting edge stuff is either spacecraft or military hardware. Understanding how that hardware is used is kind of a secondary motivation but it all snowballs as we all know.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

zoux posted:

drat, do people with claustrophobia wash out of tank units often or do they make you get over it

I was going to ask the same thing. I guess there’s not a position to sit up out of the hatch or anything is there?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Wouldn’t the equipment necessary to make use out of pinpointing those emitters be observable as well? I’d expect there to be some sort of triangulation requirement to get any useable info out of the emissions and would require communication. Unless you’re going for a sneak attack or something like that which in armor is kind of lol.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

situational awareness

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Molentik posted:

I loved that book as a kid, still have it somewhere. Theres also castles and battleships etc.

Me too. The castle has someone taking a poo poo in a privy. There’s always something entertaining to find.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Wasn’t desert storm such a bloodbath because our systems worked way better than any of the planners had expected? I’d assume every development made since the last peer war is just a crapshoot on if it’s actually going to work or not. Didn’t the russian anti air system get clowned on recently?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

Yeah wasn't the whole point that free market will handle the nation building if we just let it do as it pleases?

Turns out the free market reaaaalllly loves slaves.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Ah yes the little green men

I know contemporary Russia does this, but does anyone else still put ‘volunteers’ etc into hotspots that aren’t PMCs? I imagine that little loophole absolves the military from blame in some people’s minds.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

To this day i’m still flabbergasted that Kissinger is still alive, not in jail, and revered as a statesman by some people.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Nenonen posted:

This is not the current events thread :mad:

hosed up if true. Let me take a big ol sip of coffee before I open up the news…

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

I had a set of Desert Storm baseball cards. Deeply embarrassing now, but I was 10.

I have a gw2 card deck

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

sullat posted:

If he wanted a biopic in French he shouldn't have lost

is this too long for a topic because god drat

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Koramei posted:

Dang those hills are a heck of a lot taller than I would have expected. I guess it's the same with cities getting buried over the centuries with the remains of older ruined buildings. Humans sure make a lot of stuff.

I often think about the seemingly vast quantities of just stuff people make and have made over the millennia and how it all comes from a relatively tiny portion of this planet we’re on. It makes me feel small in a way that looking at space often doesn’t just due to the scale involved.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Oof. Are these this guys personal effects or stuff he collected?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

At this point Saving Private Ryan *is* military history, so I wonder if any historian or armchair historian can tell us why Spielberg left other nations out, if it's known.

Like did he do it for budget reasons? Not wanting to distract the audience? Because he actually didn't know better and either nobody else did or they did but didn't tell him? Because the US Army or Marine Corps and told the studio to keep it Uncle Sam? Some less likely but funnier reason?

Is this satire? I can't tell.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's interesting that you feel the documents someone works with can be that personal, because it seems entirely absent from modern IT infrastructure.

I dunno, seeing
# I have no idea what this does and if anyone finds out I'm going to be homeless
# Please this isnt a joke if you figure it out please let me know

imparts a certain je ne sais quoi.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Was the shot trap design flaw an accident or a calculated risk? I’m sure was way more efficient armor/weight wise to build them the way they did I just feel like that kind of vulnerability should have been forseen long before it made it into mass production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Cessna posted:

Just go to "sudden death" instead of completely changing what is happening.

When it takes so much to score, it's pretty much all sudden death. Like, they play an extra 30m before they go to shootouts. At that point it's mainly because everyones fuckin gassed and can't continue to run up and down the field for another 2 hours.