Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Figure 1: Ye Olde Milhist Discourse

Very sus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

As we continue with rifle grenades we can see a larger (61mm) anti-tank rifle grenade, as well as a hollow charge version. Lastly, there's a rifle grenade that can also be substituted as a hand grenade. What are the differences between the first two? How does the Hand/Rifle Grenade work? What allows the rifle grenade version to have a longer (11 seconds) delay than the hand grenade version (4.5 seconds)? Which of these rifle grenades used a self-destroying fuze? All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

So this movie is happening in 3 years or so

Now, if you wanted to take a historical air battle and put it in space...which one do you do? Midway's the most obvious one (though is just had a badly reviewed movie come out). Battle of Britain is a campaign. F4's trying to blow up some dams in not-Vietnam using a mostly new and untested weapons? Dambuster's already has a movie in development-hell (and has already been done once!), though Hollywood likes doing twins of movies. Top Gun's coming out shortly too. The raid on Taranto didn't have any enemy plane action so that would be out. The Flying Tiger's I don't think would work..more of a campaign again. Same with Malta, and Operational Pedestal is more interesting if you focus on the Ohio.

I could see doing the Cactus airforce at Guadalcanal - shoestring collection of random planes vs the might of an Empire who is at the end of their logistical tether.

Comedy Option - Pearl Harbour and the point of view is the rebel's bombing the evil Imperial Fleet at anchor. The sinking of Force Z would work too.

Theres plenty of actions to choose from, even if its a single day or two from a campaign. The movie Battle of Britain does a really good job at telling a story without it just being one battle, which could be quite boring if theres no character development attached to it. Sure, you could nail some visuals like in Dunkirk but you need substance with that style.

As an example, pick any date where someome became ace in a day, there are numerous such cases. Hell, pick a pilot like Canada's Beurling in Malta and his numerous victories in only a handful of days. (27 im 14 days)

Dont have to include all days, but you can already line up his training in act 1, deployment/hardships in act 2, victories and losses in act 3. Close out with a credit roll from fade to black that mentions his post-war death helping out Israel.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you seriously trying to argue that a tank production run is at all analogous to a rifle production run in terms of scale or magnitude?

i'm not real familiar with why more jumbos weren't produced but i suspect the root causes were somewhat different than "make a new better version"

Considering the number of parts involved, you're right, a tank's production is a lot larger in terms of scale and magnitude.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fair enough, even Italian Paratrooper gear would be nice.

Okay, I just like the chest rig.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

You and the Axis/Germany art guys for Battlefield V.

gently caress, I've been made!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My understanding is that the Maginot line worked exactly as it was supposed to, in that Germany was unwilling to attempt an invasion through it. What pretty much nobody anticipated was the blitzkrieg, and consequently Belgium folding so quickly.

Did France over-allocate to the Maginot defenses? It's hard to say. Maybe if they hadn't deployed so many forces there, Germany might have invaded through that route. I don't know enough about the topic to argue counterfactuals.

Even if the French over-allocated at Maginot, it didn't prevent breakthroughs of the Maginot Line, whether before or after the secret talks of capitulation had started.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was the Maginot Line socially disruptive at all? Any local communities get disrupted or something like that?

And did they find any uses for the facilities after the war?

I don't recall reading anything about it in my book on the Battle for the Maginot Line, but it may have glossed over portions of the construction period? They did have to clear a lot of land for sight lines or beaten zones, so local communities were affected to a degree.

Post-war, the facilities were still in use by the French, but a sharp decline in threats led to the line being abandoned bit by bit. Apparently, via wikipedia, one bunker is still in use by the FAF, but for the most part its been completely abandoned. Some of the fortifications have been converted for private/public use.

Edit: Also, while its not specifically stated, but its safe to say that the fortifications facing Italy met the same fate.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Writing out the script for the Curtiss Hawk, noticed this:

What I saw:

What I expected:

What I got:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lawman 0 posted:

I remember reading that the french were hesitant to launch air attacks into Germany. Were their bombers bad or did they fear reprisal/high losses?

Don't want to anger the beast. They invaded immediately when hostilities began but wanted to wait for Germany to make the first move/gather forces before going on the offensive

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It should also be stressed that France had very little in terms of anti-tank and anti-air weapons. Not that they were devoid of either, but they lacked the numbers. The lack of motorisation of them doesn't help when the blitzkrieg rolls in and you have to leave the gun behind as you retreat... again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pictured: A dramatic recreation of Italians fighting in Eritrea.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taerkar posted:

The most common version I've seen/heard was it was the British dropping the wooden bomb on a German airfield. But at the same time if you know that they're wasting effort on a fake why tell them about it?

Makes them think twice about all their other fake programs, airfields, initiatives, etc

Someone receiving a message saying "We've cracked your codes" can be pretty alarming.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

Revealing your cards to your enemy is not alarming, it's dumb. Making a pointless fake bomb run that could result in your own plane shot down is criminally stupid.

Its a fake airfield, what's gonna shoot it down?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

Interceptors, engine breakdowns, flak on the way. Would you take the mission?

That's like saying a reconnaissance aircraft serves no purpose. Drop a fake bomb on the way to or back from a recon mission, EZ-PZ.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PeterCat posted:

Saburo Sakai and two wingmen did loops over port Moresby after one mission.

The British then flew one bomber to Rabaul and dropped a note thanking them for their performance and asking the Japanese to give them advance notice next time so that they could prepare a proper reception.

This is also 100% true

Edit: more specifically I believe it was one of the three pilots that insisted it be done, Saburo abstaining, and the 3rd pilot joining in.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PeterCat posted:

The funniest part about the whole thing is the Japanese pilots thinking they got away with it and the British NARCing on them to the Japanese command. It really is the perfect way to get back them for the taunt.

Found the actual quote in the book

quote:

We gathered in a formation with only a few scant feet between our wing tips. I slid my canopy back, described a ring over my head with my finger, then showed them three fingers. Both pilots raised their hands in acknowledgment. We were to fly three loops, all tied together.

One last look for enemy fighters, and I nosed down to gain speed, Nishizawa and Ota hugging my own plane. I pulled back on the stick, and the Zero responded beautifully in a high arcing climb, rolling over on her back. The other two fighters were right with me, all the way up and around in a perfect inside loop.

Twice more we went up and around, dove, and went back into the loop. Not a single gun fired from the ground, and the air remained clear of any enemy planes.

When I came out of the third loop, Nishizawa pulled up to my plane, grinning happily, and signaled that he wanted to do it again. I turned to my left; there was Ota, laughing, nodding his head in agreement. I couldn't resist the temptation. We dove to only 6,000 feet above the enemy field and repeated the three loops, swinging around in perfect formation. And still not a gun fired at us! We might have been over our own field for all the excitement we seemed to create. But I thought of all the men on the ground watching us and I laughed loudly.

[...]

Our secret, however, was not to remain ours very long. Just after nine o'clock that night an orderly approached us in the billet and stated that Lieutenant Sasai wished to see us - immediately. We looked at each other, not a little worried. We could receive serious punishment for what we had done.

No sooner did we walk into Sasai's office than the lieutenant was on his feet, shouting at us. "Look here, you silly bastards!" he roared, "just look at this!" His face was red and he could hardly control himself as he waved a letter - in English - before our faces. "Do you know where I got this thing?" he yelled. "No? I'll tell you, you fools; it was dropped on this base a few minutes ago by an enemy intruded!"

The letter read:
"To the Lae Commander: We were much impressed with those three pilots who visited us today, and we all liked the loops they flew over our field. It was quite an exhibition. We would appreciate it if these same pilots returned here once again, each wearing a green muffler around his neck. We're sorry we couldn't give them better attention on their last trip, but we will see to it that the next time they will receive an all-out welcome from us."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Part 16 of Mines and Grenades is here, with another trio of Rifle Grenades. One of these is generously given the title of Rifle Grenade, when in reality it is used with an anti-tank gun. The other two are deployed with the 3cm discharger cup, otherwise known as a Schiessbecher. How do they all operate? What happens if the anti-tank gun fired munition only grazes its target? All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Yes, this is a perfect time to have bought a big pile of 28mm ACW soldiers that no one will be interested in by the time I finish painting them.

I will play agaisnt you once if you will play against me at ASL 8,000 times.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I'm not a big ASL fan,* but I'd be happy to go against you in any number of other hex-and-counter wargames.

* (Edit: There's just too much stuff. I played back in the day, but had to sell off what I had when I was in the service due to the space it took up. Now I have the space, but there's just so much stuff - the price of entry at the level I'd want to get into it in would be a lot.)

*Stares at his pdf collection of scenarios and VASSAL-engine platform module*

Yeah...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hypnobeard posted:

You do have opponents out there, you know, if you ask.

I am now a learned man

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PeterCat posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Time Life WWII series? For me it's more nostalgia and I'm sure it's just the popular version of the war in the mid 70s,vut I'm still tempted to get a set.

My dad has the full set, but I've never had time to sit down and read all of it. Seemed very dense and informative for what they likely had access to at the time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS posted:

Yes: everything I enjoy is not legally a "gun." And yet my college dorm was not friendly to this argument.

Was anyone defenestrated in response to this offense?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SubG posted:

I like that the kill markers suggest that there are Nazi killbusses out there too (and they only need one more to make ace).

Like not Sd.Kfz. 251s or whatever, those are clearly bus silhouettes.

Those are train silhouettes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CommonShore posted:

It looks to me that it would get the undercarriage hung up on the hill there if it just kept driving forward.

They are clearly going to ramp off the hill

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

Question about War War 2: Did the Soviets have much strategic-level bombing capacity?

The context here is "Why didn't the Allies bomb the death camps," and my guess looking at a map is that this has less to do with any kind of malicious or apathetic motive and more to do with most of the big murder sites being on the other side of Germany, and thus hard to reach with bombers launching from old Airstrip One.

However, the Red Army would have been much closer, but I have not heard of Soviet bombers much or at all until the post-war era.

For the Soviets, there are a few issues with having something labelled as "Strategic-level bombing" as they had some capable bombers that could technically achieve this, but current doctrine and demands placed on output by Stalin, among others, necessitated that such a strategy would never be fully implemented.

Firstly, any sort of long-range bombing or heavy bomber capacity was typically tied to very limited numbers. The year of the conflict also matters, as the further into Russia they are based, the less likely it is that they could reach any of the significant production centers. Ruhr Valley? Forget it, that's a Western Allies only thing.

Now, for options, you have the Tu-2, the Il-4, the Pe-8, the Yer-2, the SB-2, but about half of these either don't fly far or wouldn't carry much regardless.

As for targets, that's already been answered, but just look at bomb patterns in US-released videos. You're never going to help the victims of the holocaust unless you're aiming to kill them before the Germans have a chance.

And documentation for Soviet bombers is lacking mainly because not a lot of material has been translated, and any books that do feature that stuff are either lacking in depth or very pricey (or both!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SerCypher posted:

Also if nothing else the frontline on the eastern front during much of the war is significantly further away from Germany (and most of poland) than eastern england.

The front line moves throughout the war, but if you're close to it you're close enough to be counter attacked by the Luftwaffe. Bases in England are covered by Radar, huge fighter wings multiple, redundant bases, and supplied by an intact logistic grid. By comparison think of the supply effort it would take to keep a few hundred heavy bombers supplied to put any weight of bombs into Germany. The 8th air force was sending 3000 planes a mission up eventually, and even that didn't have the knock out effect interwar air power strategists predicted.

Also while some of the soviet planes did technically have the capability to reach far into Germany, at longer ranges bomb loads are significantly reduced, as well is altitude.

This is a little outside your question but this video was rather eye opening for me in comparing bomb-load/range/altitude, and how much of a trade off it all was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQj2qfpXSg

I forgot to mention it in my post, but yes being attacked by the Luftwaffe was taken as a serious concern... after they'd been hammered by German fighters in the few raids the Soviets ever made against them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also gently caress it I'm shamelessly plugging this.

ASL on VASL with VASSAL - Let's Play +35 Years of Advanced Squad Leader

There's going to be at least 3,000 flags on this map by the time I'm done.

Come join me as I go through my collection of ASL scenarios, somewhere north of 8,000 (including duplicates), expose conflicts, battles, and skirmishes that may or may not be obscure, pushing virtual cardboard across hundreds of virtual maps against my human opponent(s).

Yes, this will probably kill me. Yes, it will take years to make any headway. Yes, it will include Eritreans/Ethiopians flipping over Italian tankettes, mad dashes by White Russian troops with Demolition charges against strongholds, and any other crazy situations one might expect from the best game of all time.

[Edit: I trust that my opponent will not use that thread to cheat ;) ]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

Re: the USSR and strategic bombing, I recall one book mentioning experiments with "shuttle bombing," where USAAF heavies would use Russian bases. Don't know a whole lot about it but it didn't sound like it was all that popular with anybody.

It was a constant thing throughout the war but not much use or value. The main benefit would be to land stricken aircraft in Soviet areas to prevent capture or death at German or local hands. Say you bomb Berlin in a B-17 by later 1944, you're better off continuing to Russia if the state of your aircraft is that bad. Otherwise you try to ditch in Sweden, Switzerland, or friendly lines.

It was more "popular" for raids into Romania/ex-Yugoslavia due to the distances involved, from, say, Lower Italy/Sicily.

Edit: It also let the Soviets investigate Allied tech without the constraints of Lend Lease, where tech was withheld at times.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Back in the new year with a new update, a continuation of the German rifle grenades available. We have three different types on hand, starting with a flat-headed hollow charge weapon, followed by a propaganda rifle grenade, and lastly an illuminating kind. How did the hollow charge weapon work? How would it act if it didn't make full contact against its intended target? How does one identify the shell of a propaganda grenade? What's the name for the illuminating star rifle grenade? All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Finally, episode 6 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU74NLJsvws

Had some issues the first go-around recording this one, so Mr. X was left out to avoid any further delays in getting an episode out. I also fumbled my numbers for the .30 cal calibre. That aside, we take a look at the Curtiss Model 75 / Hawk 75 / P-36.

Next video will be about the Bristol Blenheim, then maybe a foray into something crazy, like a World War 1 Bomber, Zeppelins, or something from Yugoslavia or Dutch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PeterCat posted:

Here's a WWII US Army training film covering tank driving. Of particular interest to me is the starting of the diesel engine. Apparently it was done with a shotgun shell, as seen at 10:48.

Also, the tank commander communicated with the driver by putting his foot between the driver's shoulder blades and pressing harder to go faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-_23PnLu8&t=648s

Also, a training film on tank gunnery, detailing what weapons to use in a particular scenario. Lots of cute stop motion tank action on the sand table, as well as actual footage of M4s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIfooKL4tY

Lots of engines were started by shotgun shell, since they used aircraft engines, which comprised a blank shotgun cartridge to turn the engine over / cranked the engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter

Edit: Some engines had problems with these starters because of the vigorous nature of the starter, and could lead to damage. I believe the max they would typically have was 6 blanks to try and start the engine. For example, the Napier Sabre engine had 5 tries and, if it required all 5 to start the engine, they had to inject oil in all 24 cylinders via the spark plugs.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 6, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Milo and POTUS posted:

What happened to pilots that landed in switzerland? Imprisoned I guess? Did it happen to both sides ie could their be both axis and allied airmen in a swiss pow camp

Anyone landing in a neutral country was interned and potentially traded for resources/aid/etc, or casually 'escaped' to fight again. Depends on the side and country they landed in.

Not sure about what happened if/when two opposite sides were in the same camp/prison. I assume they just wouldn't do it to begin with but I can't say I've read anything on the topic, much less heard of any book that covers it.

The likelyhood seems low for both sides to be in Switzerland, if only because they defended their air space and the Germans/Italians didn't fly into it very often, from what I recall. Whereas an Allied bomber would purposefully go to Switzerland if it was their best bet at staying alive/not being captured.

Sure, you might still be imprisoned, but at least its not German jailors.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Internees were held until the end of the war.

Mark Felton did a short video on the incidents between the US and the Swiss, and while it doesn't mention what happened to German personnel he does bring up the case of a plane forced down with advanced radar, that was destroyed under German supervision in exchange for a shipment of Me-109s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILxoQyKzDg

They could still be pretty unpleasant (one of the camps was run by a Swiss Nazi):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wauwilermoos_internment_camp#Conditions,_human_rights_violations,_and_inspections

loving hell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Milhist Thread - Hate is indifferent

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Creeping up to the end of the German explosives, we finally come across a Faustpatrone! On top of that, we have two versions of the 27mm pistol grenades, as used with the signal pistol in the same calibre. How were you supposed to handle a Faustpatrone? What should you do if it fails to fire? What differentiates the two 27mm pistol grenades? All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hyrax Attack! posted:

During WWII I know Italy had a weak industrial base, especially compared to Germany. Is there a reason Germany didn’t do more to equip their ally with decent guns and tanks? Even if Italy couldn’t build these themselves, having access to better equipment seems well worth the investment for Germany in getting better results in Africa and other fronts. Especially with how the US wasn’t shy about sharing with their allies.

Was Mussolini insisting on using homegrown stuff? I’m reading The Day of Battle and the Italians were trying to defend Sicily with Renaults and seems like would have been in Germany’s best interest if they had Mark IIIs.

Germany sold stuff to the Italians, but the Germans still need weapons and equipment to replace lost gear and the Italians don't have enough of an industrial base regardless.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

I guess that explains why Romania, Finland and others were actually furnished with German tanks and planes - they had the right enemy?

The Germans tended to sell gear to their allies. Finland, mainly, would have captured gear sold to them for use against the Russians. Other nations were sold things in very limited quantities, like the Bf-109G or Hungary's very limited number of Panther tanks (unless the evidence I've seen only has Panthers painted in Hungarian colours, not sold to them).

The Italians were given and sold Ju-87 stukas, mostly because they lacked a good ground-attack aircraft. The Breda Ba.65 was too vulnerable, and the Ba.88 just wasn't good. They had decent/good torpedo bombers, but the Stukas were meant to supplement this in a way, by offering dive bombing capability to the RA. The DB-605 engine, and a select few others, were licensed to Italy, if only because they lacked the expertise/capacity to build high HP engines in large quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChubbyChecker posted:

I don't think that it would have mattered much if Germany had sold or given more of their stuff to their allies, since they themselves lacked tanks and planes. The total amount of armored divisions or fighter wings etc. on the Axis side wouldn't have changed. But if the troops of the smaller Axis countries weren't as well trained as the German troops, the quality of those divisions and wings would have been worse. Was the quality of the troops much different in the mid or late war? Did Germany produce some material more than they could use themselves? Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks perhaps?

With the fuel shortages, arguably you could say they produced more aircraft than they could use themselves.