Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Can't say that modern Russian war movies are my jam. Impressive production values, but stylistically super overwraught and off-putting. Plus the jingoism and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

recoilles rifles were later used on jeeps

don't know how effective they were though

Jeeps don't have a lot of armor so I would assume they were quite effective.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Putting all the horrible poo poo done on the shoulders of the SS is a key part of the Clean Wehrmacht myth. Plenty of the bad poo poo, especially on the Eastern Front, was done by the Wehrmacht and even the Luftwaffe.

Near the end or just after the war a British General was taking a Luftwaffe Field Marshal around one of the concentration camps to show him it was not a propaganda myth. The Field Marshal already knew about it and just shrugged his shoulders and said something along the lines of “they were only Jews, I don’t see why you are angry about this”. The British General took the Field Marshall’s baton and beat him with it so hard that the baton broke.
The following day the General went to Montgomery to resign and face the consequences and all monty did was protect his head and joke about the General liking to beat Field Marshalls.

The broken baton was retrieved and presented to the General as a momento. Later the General’s widow sold it but only after the Field Marshall’s family tried to block it and wanted it back.

Found the details. It was Brigadier Derek Mills-Roberts, Field Marshal Milch and the camp was Breslin.

And weirdly enough Milch's dad was Jewish :aaaaa:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Goons posted:

Cavalry talk

In the Finnish army I was in a cavalry battalion and for the two-ish weeks between basic training and NCO school my rank was "cavalryman".

But I didn't get a cowboy hat or a sabre, and I never saw a single horse :(

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Cavalry or dragoon? I didn't know there's any units called ratsuväki left but rakuunat still exist.

Or maybe it is ratsujääkäri? The translation for that appears to be chasseurs a chevalier or Jäger zu Pferde. poo poo's complex.

I dunno. It was a ratsujääkäripataljoona and the rank was ratsumies.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
How small was Hitler's dick?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
James Ransone (Ziggy in The Wire, Ray Person in Generation Kill) as Goebbels.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I've heard of comfort women, so this:

Fangz posted:

Supply ships carried "comfort kits" made by schoolchildren to random crewmen.

made me go WTF.

Please tell me they didn't make kids whittle wooden dildoes and pocket pussies for sailors.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

nrook posted:

He later married George Clinton's daughter. A very odd story on the whole.

Genet must have been the one who came up with:

One nation under a groove
Gettin' down just for the funk of it