Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cessna posted:

Edit: Here's a famous photo of the drop on Crete. You can see how low those planes are:

I'm going to assume the lower plane has deployed some kind of advanced and highly technical signal flare apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When WW2 aircraft are described as having "cannons," what do they mean exactly?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sullat posted:

My dad's uncle got to watch one, he was a sailor on one the observation bosts. Probably also an unwitting test subject too.

Any cool first-hand stories from the tests?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Romulus and Remus

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arquinsiel posted:

It'd have been very different if they had been raised by emus.

It's the male emu that cares for the nest and raises the chicks. So that's an interesting angle.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

What's the job of the bloke in front with his head next to the gun, and more importantly, how does he not die instantly of claustrophobia?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nenonen posted:

Leopard ½ has the best ventilation around. Just make sure you keep the enemy to the front and right.

I
Ugh
They
This is a mech. We've gone and invented mechs. I mean tanks aren't human-shaped, but there's basically zero space between the people and the metal. They're essentially wearing the tank. It's a mech now.

Cessna posted:

M-1A1 driver's position:

It's surprisingly comfortable.

And on that cheerful note I've had a recurring nightmare of having to drive my car with roughly that amount of windscreen to work with.

e: sorry for the Claustrophobia snipe. Apparently warfare is unpleasant for the participants!?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Molentik posted:

I loved that book as a kid, still have it somewhere. Theres also castles and battleships etc.

I had the Man-o-war book (for kids!) which depicted sailors impaled by flying timber fragments and the surgeons tossing surplus limbs overboard. It was awesome.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grenrow posted:

Yeah the castle one is also hilariously gory. It goes through various stages of castle life, i think one is like a fair, another is the harvest, and then the end is an extremely violent siege. It ruled.

I feel like there's got to be a strong correlation between browsing this sort of thread, and happy childhood hours spent going "oohh" at Stephen Biesty's lovingly-rendered illustrations of arrow-studded corpses being hauled from a moat by a dude with a big hook.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grenrow posted:

Am I misremembering or was there a thing where in each book, there's a little Where's Waldo thing going on in each page. Like in the Man o' War book, it was a stowaway, and in the castle one, it was a spy?

In one of the books, it's a zany green space man with a flying saucer! This being Stephen Biesty, in the Antarctica scene, the space man is crawling frantically through a crevasse, in inky darkness, crushed under hundreds of metres of ice and frozen rock.
Fun!!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Lot of defeatist attitudes ITT. It’s like you don't even want to thrash the hun.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jobbo_Fett posted:

[Incomprehensible yet fascinating stuff]

"Abraham Esau" strikes me as a dangerous name to have in nazi Germany.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Randarkman posted:

Here's some German WW1 uniforms (though the uniform diversity at that time was much greater as Bavarians, Prussians and others had their own units and uniforms).

From a million pages ago, but what exactly is going on with the helmet situation for our friend in the middle?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I love reading this thread because after a while I always end up thinking "geez, war sounds really unsafe" followed by "ohh, right."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm. Is there any record of turreted fighters blasting their own rudders off?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If you were visually mislead as to the location of a barrage balloon storage facility, would that be a barrage garage mirage?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

feedmegin posted:

They're specifically talking about loudspeakers. Lord Haw-Haw was on the radio (and he wasn't one person, it was originally a generic term for all of them). Including P.G.Wodehouse, sort of, as in Jeeves and Wooster.

Am I reading this wrong, or did P.G. Wodehouse disseminate nazi propaganda?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

VostokProgram posted:

I've been trying to figure out why the Abrams is designated M1 and the bradley M2/M3 instead of following the M60

The M60 is called: Tank, Combat, Full Tracked: 105-mm Gun, M60

And the original Abrams is: Tank, Combat, Full-tracked, 105-mm gun, M1

Why did the number go back to 1?

I blame the Babylonians

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
All this talk of unwashed bodies and perfect water reclamation... anyone else read Dune lately?

Cyrano4747 posted:

With some vessels it can also come down to food. Nuclear powered vessels have a mechanical endurance that is functionally infinite (measured in years between refueling rather than km) but the crew has to eat.

I can just picture some dour Cold War admiral or other tapping thoughtfully at a chalkboard with "crew has to eat(.....??)" written on it, and feeling certain there's a silver bullet there somewhere if he can just figure it out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MikeCrotch posted:

What if...we had breechloading guns, but on the outside?

Eleven year old me demands to know what this is, and 36 year old me is pretty interested too

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That is interesting!
Google tells me France's nuclear weapons arm is called the Force de Frappe, which is very funny to me, a shameful monoglot

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Elissimpark posted:

I'm glad that I get to avoid that kind of existential headache by living in the Southern Hemisphere.

*Goes back to reading On The Beach

What about the existential headache of living in Melbourne?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That was a fantastic read, thankyou.

"But at one door someone gave us cake although he told us that he himself had suffered a lot in a German camp. But he had resolved to give something edible to anyone who was hungry and knocked on his front door."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

It's a platoon of dragoons with spontoons and balloons (marooned on pontoons in monsoons)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Xakura posted:

Don't see a single spadroon though

Okay, this needs further edits.

e: spitoons?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 20, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sebmojo posted:

What time is it, in the picture

I sort of imagined it being early evening?

e: afternoon!!

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 20, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FMguru posted:

As a naval officer I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the R.A.F. who now suffer the largest casualties in this area. And what do you think the Argylls ate in Aden? Arabs? Yours etc. Captain B. J. Smethwick in a white wine sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic

Posts you can hear

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A few days late, but I have a stupid question about Chiang Kai-shek that's been rattling around my brain for a while:
that name doesn't look like other Chinese names I'm familiar with. Is that because of some weird old englishification method that's not used any more? Or did he legit have an odd name?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks, scholars.
Gotta say, Wade-Giles is a resplendently British-sounding pair of names.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Raenir Salazar posted:

snippity snip

Emerging from Lurk Mode to express a need for this game. Provided there is no "abandon twink" minigame as in the anabasis.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I remember reading one of those awesome cross section books as a kid which featured a Man-o-war wherein every second sailor appeared to have been dismembered by wood splinters. (Eight-year-old me loved it.) So- what happens when a battle goes really badly for these crews? They can't run away from their ship, obviously- do they start waving white flags out the cannon ports or something...?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OscarDiggs posted:

Are there any good books about how battles were actually fought throughout various periods.

Not wars or logistics as such but the nitty gritty of, how did a medieval general tell his knights to charge over there instead of over there? How did the union rifle company waiting for their orders to ambush an enemy unit know and execute said orders? How does a tank commander in WW2 know when he's winning and when he's losing?

Similarly, are there any books about the nitty gritty operations of ships during the age of sail? There's lots of famous captains and admirals, whose famous battles can be read about. But there must have been a lot lf busy work in between those battles.

This is the stuff that always bothers me. It feels like a small miracle that anything gets done at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Union and Confederate armies often had different names for different battles because there's no post-battle meeting where they decide "ok this one was called X"

I've never thought of that before, but of course it makes sense now that you've written it out.