Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bertran de born-rear end mfs

https://deremilitari.org/2014/03/two-poems-by-the-twelfth-century-knight-troubadour-bertran-de-born/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe theyre talking about being the looter

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the first deployed neutron bombs were started early 60s, deployed mid 70s

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the ones who were able to flee were highly correlated with the ones who were actually good, iirc. there were only a few theorists who ended up believing in that crap, like teichmuller

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the fuckin journal paper dudes knew cuz so many peeps started subscriptions in los alamos. also a few preachers who got the only partially correct eschatological pamphlet in history

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/science/espionage-threatened-the-manhattan-project-declassified-report-says.html

declassified 2014, so thats why its not common knowledge

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, both journal papers and the scifi dudes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://archive.is/9miWr

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gunpowder artillery gets used pretty heavily in the earliest part of the early modern era but the military academies are way more clustered around the napoleonic era - prolly better to say "when the artillery was recognized as a legitimate and very important service unto its own right"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
being officer to a forlorn hope (a unit which was to be in the vanguard to extreme danger, usually a breach in walls or an escalade) was highly coveted because it could launch great careers

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 14, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a pretty walled fortress siege specific thing, in practice. so they went away when those went away

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hoop is actually the valid dutch spelling

one of the most weird etymologies in all military english, false friended from verloren hoop which is better calqued as forlorn heap or forlorn bunch, but hoop still means hope sometimes in dutch, just not this time

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 16, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
scheduling peeps to meet was more reliable within human memory, this is an artifact of cell phones. even in like the early 00s it wasnt as hard as it is today, never mind the ancients

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its kanji...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i stared at the autotranslate for a bit i think the goog translate was assuming left to right in the language detection

vv - its not

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 28, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the thing with hoplite and other line war was that most of the actual killing was after a rout, so smaller armies could hold out a lot better than you'd think by not breaking

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://terminallance.com/2019/09/13/terminal-lance-559-geek-corps/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some part of the original purpose of those buildings is to overawe and intimidate in the first place, too, tho, in ages where having a lot of bling (being legible to the illiterate as marker of power) is a lot more important in leadership than it is today

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
eszett, not the schutzstaffel

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i stand corrected lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

I love that disambig page dearly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it's not years, it's generations. 3000 bc -> 0 ad is 1000 generations of horses and 200 generations of elephants

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Suez_Canal

It seems the Bikaner Camel Corps engaged in a successful camel-cavalry (camelry? dromidarii?) charge in 1915 around the Suez Canal. As it was successful, the camel cavalry charge seems to be the most successful of all tactics, with a 100% success rate. Taste the flavor.

camels are still used in the desert bit of the india-pakistan border

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... mao zedong?

turns out the smart move was to let the republicans expend themselves on the japanese and take credit for everything later

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there was a lotta defection going on, firm loyalties are for settled secure states

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
first step in making a state is being the best warlord

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peeps talkin about battle speeches is like 0.25% of all ancient history (history about the ancients, not history done by the ancients). you see some poo poo about a battle speech before 1000 ad, someone's prolly studied the gently caress out of it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

Before microphones, you had to write a speech for dissemination, or else you'd have at best a thousand people appreciating your speech while everyone else had no idea what you were saying.

this is the subject of a 200-year academia fight

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody has any new thoughts on this. peeps have literally gotten together masses of 5000 men in order to do experiments to figure poo poo out on this. the most trodden ground in all classics

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta also have political aims for afterwards in mind. too bad he got shot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cessna posted:

It always seemed odd to me that they needed two flags per letter for U, T, and Y. Today those only need one flag each.

(And, getting a bit out there, the old flag for "D" is now used for "U.")

they didnt have any of that coding theory poo poo, that was the 1950s

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

It's funny that getting killed during battle was the best move Nelson ever made to cement his legacy.

dying young is absolutely a magic way to cement any leader's legacy. jfk, alexander, caesar, henry iii...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every roman leader for like most of a millenium wanted to conquer that bit of land. the byzantines tried real hard when it was under the sasanids, and it was so fuckin apocalyptic the arabs could do their thing after muhammed did his thing, because both the persians and byzantines were so spent

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 30, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
huffman coding theory is what i'm talking about, which has an algorithm you can use to set the symbols and letters to stuff. this is the culmination of a century of development which was in very early stages when they were killing each other there then

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
plebs vs equestrians didnt matter by that time, and actual elite peeps did indeed actually massacre caesar on the street. they had a huge war about damning his memory or not that the killers lost, so his nephew, who won, was chill w him

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
alexander died at 32 years old, allegedly of sickness from drinking unmixed wine, so its in all probability they didnt miss

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Gotta be a part of the zeitgeist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was very, very specifically first bull run

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Bull_Run#Union_retreat

they sobered the gently caress up after 5000 peeps died

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Stars make enfilade (having their peeps aligned to your fire by virtue of geometry). Star forts are post-gunpowder, they're to be thoroughly garrisonned and provided with serious direct-fire firepower in and of themselves

Early modern sieges were nutso predictable, Vauban, chief siege engineer of the French during Louis 14, literally once just had a timetable w/ a calendar appointment for the king so Louie could look upon the final assault of a fort Vauban was besieging. Noblemen would make bets on how it would take. Louis specifically loved sieges, he showed up at close to all of them that Vauban held. Vauban even decided that the country should be as round as possible to reduce surface area and got the king to agree, and that's why france is hexagon-shaped

They're also way too expensive for individual noblemen (especially the garrisoning), unlike castles, which is why most european nation-states have some kind of root in the early modern era, because kings stopped being a first-among-equals sort of deal then and started being despots of huge states with true monopolies on violence. Hell, they were too expensive for the spanish, the king of spain declared sovereign default 1557, 1575, 1596, 1607, 1627, 1647, 1652, 1662, and 1666

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that can't possibly be evenly distributed