Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The various effortposts linked in the last few pages are tribute to how awesome you folks are. Some seriously good research and writing contained in past MilHist threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'll also add that the German parachute design attached to the trooper by a single strap, resulting in almost a forward-learning posture and almost no control. Landings were hard, with the trooper tending to fall forwards onto knees and hands. I'm not sure if this was influenced by, or the one of the causes of the low-altitude jumping.

Why this parachute design was chosen, I cannot tell you. Luftwaffe pilots used "normal" parachutes that had straps on each shoulder.

If I'm wrong about this, please be gentle, Cessna

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Is there a general acknowledgement that loaders have the shittiest job in the tank? Are they the most junior members, before they train to be a gunner/TC?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What if the Daqing oil fields in then-Manchukuo were discovered in the 30s (instead of the 50s), giving Imperial Japan access to a huge oil reserve? Japan is still a pariah for their actions in China, but do they need* further expansion?

*I'm sure the IJA would insist on it, mad imperialists that they were

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

OK first of all it's not like the IJN weren't mad imperialists, they were just mad imperialists pointing southward instead of northward.

Thanks for this write up. The Wages of Destruction II: Showa edition would make for a very interesting read

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Jobbo_Fett posted:

4.4 The Proximity Fuze - The Smallest Radar (Ripped from A Radar History of World War 2 by Louis Brown) Part 3/?

[More to come later]

This is extremely good poo poo, looking forward to future installments

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Gaj posted:

I have a totally serious and yet stoner question that I think must be answered by higher minds.

How many people have to be on a ship for it to be statistically probable that someone is always taking a poo poo at any given time.

Depends on how bad the galley is

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
For the Burma theatre, I enjoyed Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser, more famously known for the Flashman books. It's not an overview of the campaign, but rather an extremely small scale look at what it was like for him and his platoon of rough characters from Cumberland.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Y'all are forgetting ECCE ROMANI, the most genious text to ever exist. :agesilaus:

*Scoff*

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Tomn posted:

This does feel all of a piece with what folks have said before about how fascism needs its enemies to be both incredibly strong and also incredibly weak, incredibly cunning yet deeply foolish, extremely threatening yet a nation of cowards, etc. etc. Just contradictions all the way down.

Thus,

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I often wish Bret did the posts in podcast/lecture form, as I have the while working to listen to something but little other opportunity. I see someone has started recording them for YouTube though.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What's the origin/etymology of "Life" units, like the Life Guards or Leib-Husaren? Seems to spring up in multiple nations in the 18th century

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Bulgaroctonus posted:

It’s only tangentially milhist but have any of y’all read The Fatal Shore? Would especially like to hear from non-Americans.

It's a terrific, weighty and brutal book. The history of colonial Australia is often just painted as "penal colony" with a broad brush, but that does such a disservice to the cruel and complicated history of the colonies. I loved it.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

BalloonFish posted:

The Royal Naval Division

I always get excited for a BalloonFish or Neb effortpost :munch:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

SerthVarnee posted:

You'll be wrong on that one.
part of the reason the Japanese carriers went up in flames and were so impossible to extinguish was that the flooring inside the ship had a wooden layer on top, with a little bit of space under the wood for the crew to store personal effects and such.

I Don't remember the rest of the details, but they must count for just a little bit since it was brought up in Shattered Sword.

I think given the sheer amount of fuel, oil and explosive material stored on an aircraft carrier, wooden decks are the least of your problems as far as flammability goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Hitler: "Ok, so get this: we name the army groups 1, 2 and 4..."