Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So where do frigates fit into the naval ship hierarchy? Both historically and in the present day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks for the frigates answers guys- you’ve finally cleared up something that’s been confusing me for years.

My admiral great-grandad must be spinning in his grave :p

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I thought this show was…not good. For a show called “Das Boot” it had basically no Uboat combat instead focusing on a convoluted plot where the uboat crew mutiny against the captain, throw him off the boat, and he ends up in….New York City??? :psyduck:

The resistance side plot was a little more interesting if nothing special.

Season two was excellent, if bleak beyond all words.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Shouldn’t you be in culinarium, coquiit?

(Actually got to visit the house of Caecilius in Pompeii back in 2019; it was something of a special moment for me and my wife totally failed to understand why I wanted her to sit in the garden..)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 10, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fangz posted:

Caecilius and his family is a key topic in the UK GCSE Latin course.

Specifically the first chapter of the book begins by introducing the characters in super simple cartoons- ‘Grumio est coquus. Grumio est in culinarium coquiit. Metella est mater. Metella est in horto sedet’ etc.

It’s basically a shibboleth for people who studied Latin, at least over here.

Likewise if you want to bring down the mood mention ‘Cerberus waiting, in vain’.

It’s like 30 years since I was working on the stage 1 book, and this is still all deeply imprinted in my mind.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ice Fist posted:

Not having read it, does this Latin book get real dark once Vesuvius explodes?

Oh yes.

feedmegin posted:

There's more than one UK Latin course, though. Mine (and we're around the same age, close enough) began

''Ecce! In pictūra est puella, nomine Cornēlia. Cornelia est puella Romana quae in Italia habitat'. I've studied Latin and I never read a word of what you just quoted. The thread suggests I'm not alone though not sure if others British ;)

Whereas that likewise is completely alien to me. I suspect that Latin education in the UK has, like most things here, turned out to be distressingly tribal.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

On the topic of psychological and other casualties amongst the German ww2 forces, I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly here?) that there were plans in place to exterminate a large proportion of wounded or psychologically crippled Wehrmacht veterans if Germany managed to win WW2- can anyone expand on this, or is it something I misread? I’ve not been able to find any info from googling around.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I’ve actually just finished putting together a 1st company 95th rifles uniform for an event next weekend (just need to sew on some sergeant’s stripes), and the discussion last time this came up a few weeks ago was super useful in zeroing in the build.

The only downside is that Baker rifles are literally impossible to get in the UK without a full firearms licence, and for a weekend Napoleonic larp event (known in the community as Shlarpe, obviously) that’s a load of hassle and expense above and beyond even what I’m prepared to spend on nerd hobbies. So most of the unit are making-do with long-pattern Enfield 1853s.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Scratch Monkey posted:

Don’t they make non firing replicas or blank firing ones that don’t count as guns?

Nope! It’s one of those things that has a very small market begging for it, but the price for it would be prohibitive.

System uses cap or blank firing replicas- so mostly Denix or Kolser products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Why is this out of curiosity compared to that Enfield?

Basically black powder blank-firers aren’t really a thing anyone makes: reenactors generally use smooth bore muzzle loaders on a shotgun licence.

With regards replicas, the two big manufacturers are Denix and Kolser, both (iirc) Spanish companies. They make all sorts of wall-hanger replicas, some of which can fire toy caps or percussion caps unmodified, others which need some surgery first.

Their range of 19th century stuff isn’t great, and the flintlocks are much trickier to modify for caps (you need to install a stud on the hammer to mount them) than the percussion ones (you just file down the nipple to fit, and if you want to use percussion caps also drill a vent hole through it out the side). Enfields are the main percussion rifle that Denix produces, so for LARP purposes where the overall look and going ‘bang’ is more important than exact period accuracy, they tend to get used a lot for any gunpowder era setting.