Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mustang posted:

The US Army's oldest cavalry regiments were originally founded as regiments of Dragoons. John Buford's cavalry at Gettysburg identifying and holding onto the high ground until the rest of the Union army could arrive is frequently used an an example for the professional development of modern US Army armor/cavalry officers. The mission of modern American cavalry squadrons isn't all that different than it was in the past.

I hope they aren't dismounting their helicopters to fight on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Uh, yeah, they do that all the time.

You know, infantry inserting via helicopter and then the helo fucks off while the infantry does infantry things.

Well I was trying to joke about Cobra pilots or something!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The key thing to understand about cavalry tactics in the late middle ages through the napoleonic era is that: the British were bad at it. Except Cromwell and he overthrew the monarchy, for a bit.

e: what is the most recent war in which horse cavalry was used successfully?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1336447119654334464

What’s up with the insanely high Dead Hitler denialism going on here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Let's take a close look at my back, wearing German gear circa 1942, with the full a-frame march order:

Look at all of that bare metal. Helmet, mess tin (kochgeschirr), gas mask canister, and the little drinking cup on the top of the canteen. All of that just rattles and clanks together.

Here's gear from ca. 1944. I'm the guy on the right, in the "tan/water" smock.

How does WWII reenacting work? I can gather how musket-era military reenactments go, bunch of dudes stand in lines and shoot black powder at one another, but how do you account for all the tanks and air support and MG emplacements and squad-sized maneuver and such

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

We've also done airshows with "strafing" planes for air support.

Ha that looks cool, how often do you do it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol looks like something out of Top Secret

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Doing their patriotic duty by loving your wife when you couldn't.

Jodicleus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was the Spartan system chattel slavery

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paratroopers as a deterrent threat - can they even operate in anything less than totally permissive airspace? What does an S-400 do to a globemaster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1354096176778387456

The March 1 shot was Castle Bravo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Assuming time machines or massive geopolitical shifts: would you guys go to a nuclear test shot if you could?

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1233463598703312896

Also the Wellerstein post linked in this tweet demonstrates how, well reckless, the US was, it's typical 1950's nuclear mad scientist poo poo

quote:

In retrospect the entire “event” seems to have been utterly avoidable as a radiological disaster, even with all of the uncertainties about yield and weather. It’s cliché to talk about nuclear weapons in terms of playing with “forces of nature beyond our comprehension,” but I’ve come to feel that BRAVO is a cautionary tale about hubris and incompetence in the nuclear age — scientists setting off a weapon whose size they did not know, whose effects they did not correctly forecast, whose legacy will not soon be outlived.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 27, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of like a hypothetical ride on the space shuttle for me, yeah it might be dangerous but the experience is too good to pass up. When HD was coming widespread, me and my friends bought a projector and screen and had like a 100 inch image. I'll never forget watching Trinity and Beyond on it, and how awesome, in the biblical sense, some of those explosions looked. Being in person and feeling the heat of the flash, the percussion, seeing a mushroom cloud towering above you into the stratosphere - I wouldn’t be surprised if it made some observers fall to their knees.

In the original tweet, the guy wondered if seeing a nuclear explosion in person would’ve changed Eisenhower's stance on nukes - what was Ike's view on atomic bombs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1356696794672091136

What did your average German citizen know about what actually was going down in Stalingrad in 1943, and was this a morale turning point for the German people? I guess I'm looking elaboration on "The German public was reeling"

That propaganda (I'm assuming airdropped flier?) is loving brutal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought we knew very little about Roman tactics and fighting methods

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulip posted:

We definitely have some gaps in our knowledge (Tod's Workshop did a couple videos about plumbata, which we know a decent amount about but there's definitely still room for speculation) and occasionally stuff like "Legio XXII just kind of fades out of the record with no specific mention of what happened to it" but it's generally safe to say that we know more about Roman tactics and fighting methods than nearly any other premodern military. A relatively literate society, organized around its military aristocracy, that has been studied in extreme detail by historians.

Huh I wonder where I got that idea from, I remember thinking it was odd that we wouldn't have Roman manuals or whatever. So we know how they arrayed troops on the battlefield, how they changed lines, small unit tactics, stuff like that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

This accurately describes the US military today.

Well at least people aren't directly purchasing commissions or raising regiments and proclaiming themselves colonels anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Funny this is that my interest in military history was basically kickstarted by playing 90s simulators and strategy games (in the case of armored warfare it was Steel Panthers) and those taught me German tanks were anything but immune to Shermans or T-34s used with a modicum of skill, which convinced me that maybe Allied tanks weren't as hopeless as people liked to claim.

Playing World of Tanks only reinforced this even more (ask me about killing Tigers in a prewar T-28).

This is an interesting question, well to me at least: how did y'all get into military history? I built fighter jet models when I was That Age. Also I was terrified of nuclear war and whenever I was scared of something as a kid I'd research it exhaustively in order to discover the One Weird Trick that would protect me from it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

M-1A1 driver's position:

It's surprisingly comfortable.

drat, do people with claustrophobia wash out of tank units often or do they make you get over it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some sort of mechanized...corps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

From what I've read of his influences Nilfgaard is a combination of Rome, The HRE, the USSR, and Nazi Germany.

No that's Serpentor.

"These long-dead genetic blueprints were combined to produce a clone with the genius of Napoleon, the ruthlessness of Julius Caesar, the daring of Hannibal, and the shrewdness of Attila the Hun, and the aggressiveness and impulsiveness of Sergeant Slaughter."

Who would you put in your Serpentor?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What, some sort of gay, black Japan?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

A lot of the stuff that Sobel does that comes off as being a dick actually has good training value. Shared adversity and having a guy everyone can unite around hating is great for building unit cohesion. One scene that really stands out to me is when he goes and revokes everyone's weekend passes for a bunch of minor bullshit. If you've never done basic training that can come off as being completely unreasonable, but that kind of poo poo happens all the time. The secret is they were never going to get weekend passes, Sobel was going to dig until he found enough hits to justify "revoking" them. It's a classic bit. Like Edgar Allen Ho said, the real vindication for the training should be how well they performed in combat.

Sixta says the same thing about the ridiculous grooming standard stuff at the end of Gen Kill, that it gives something for the men to all hate together and that improves cohesion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think the takeaway is that it's good leadership, just that the Sgt. Maj. thought it was. It's from a scene in the last (?) episode where Reporter is directly interviewing him, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a direct quote from the book.

e:

Oh no

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I doubt the Nazis gave a poo poo, but does constantly blacking yourself out from G-forces cause long term health consequences?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was "close air support" a term developed during WWII?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there were also thousands of GIs that had German as their mother tongue or at least grew up bilingual

I know that German was spoken fairly widely (in central Texas at least) in the early 20th century, so I'm not super surprised, but were these soldiers recent immigrants or the children of immigrants, or did American Deutsch go back even further?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/NinjaEconomics/status/1379509214066933764

What was going on in Canada in 1916

Also interesting that the goosestep thing was applied to German soldiers way before WWII, I've only ever heard it in reference to Nazis

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We cannot cede our shale oil reserves to the Kaiser's Hunnic hordes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1380469886007316484

Well?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

It is interesting you point out his relative lack of involvement in the US war -- I think part of the current fascination with him is he's largely been ascribed as the general that beat the might US military and thus must be kind of a superman. Which, as it turns out, is not entirely accurate.

This was certainly my perspective as a dilettante, glad to be disabused of a false notion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's one, what's the stupidest way a head-of-state or monarch has died in combat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

All kinds of Medieval kings died of dysentery while on campaign.

RIP Henry V

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

No, European borders are actually physically tied to border stones. This has led to occasional problems, like one time a Japanese tourist took a stone as a souvenir and now part of the Hungary-Romanian border extends to Hokkaido.

All hail Greater Magyarul

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched a quick 10 minute Youtube video on the development of the Sidewinder, and one thing that stood out to me was the competition between the two Navy munitions bureaus who were working on guided A2A. The video says BuOrd did stuff in house while BuAer outsourced to contractors. When they staged a shoot off between the AIM-4 and AIM-9, the video talks about how the Falcon contractors showed up with boxes and boxes of test equipment and technicians, and the Sidewinder guys just showed up with a flashlight to check the gyros, and of course the Sidewinder rinsed the Falcon. I get that it makes it a good story, but it also echoes my understanding of more modern military procurement - 3rd party contractors building way over budget to sponge as much DoD money as they can.

I don't know the history of contractors building weapons and platforms for state militaries, is this a fair early example of modern contracting boondoggles, or was it another in a line of them? How much stuff is still developed within military branches vs. defense contractors?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skimming that procurement document listed earlier, it seems that the Goldwater/Nichols bill was predicated on extreme congressional dissatisfaction over interservice rivalries getting in the way of military readiness in the face of the GODLESS COMMIES, has there ever been serious talk about combining the branches? What advantages does a five - well six now I guess - branch armed service have over a singularly integrated one? Are there now or have there been major military powers where navy/army (later air) have been under unified command?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

piL posted:

The individual forces then mostly serve as cultural boundaries that drive particular departments, communities, and types to focus on procurement and doctrine within their areas of expertise.

This seems to be the major issue I see with divided forces, at least from my detached layman's perspective, but I don't see how you address that. If you split a group of people into two for any reason, they'll become rivals over time, so probably even if you integrated all military procurement into a single vertical silo you'd have factions develop within that silo based on their own preferences and biases about systems development. Anyway, thanks for the post, I don't disagree that in military operations the US branches act as a de facto single organization, so with that in mind I was curious as to what benefits division still offered beyond institutional inertia and branch pride.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the reason why the North American tribes were almost completely wiped out while the Central and South American tribes still make up a significant portion of population of the Latin American countries (in terms of genetic heritage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What does the process of creating a proper military academy look like? Who develops the standards and curriculum in a country that lacks a professional officer corps? Do you just hire a bunch of Prussians?