Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
tiny hands...big heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Team Quarterbacked by Fat Rapist Loses to Quarterback With One Normal Leg

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Smith absolutely deserves it, so it'll go to Brady for overcoming the terrible hardship of having to change teams.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How did Josh allen go from not being able to hit the broad side of a barn in college to this

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Things Alex Smith has done since he last played:

1. Survived
2. Rehabbed enough to walk again
3. Kept rehabbing enough to run/workout
4. Rehabbed enough to be reintegrated into the roster of a professional team
5. Holy poo poo what he's actually PLAYING?
6. :piss: Beat the Steelers at home

The dude has done the borderline unimaginable multiple times. There's no way he doesn't get it.

And his top receiver only having like two catches.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Can someone post that graphic from the beginning of the game that had Roethlisberger with 9 TDs and 250 interceptions against the NFC east this year.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

whos that broooown posted:

Can someone post that graphic from the beginning of the game that had Roethlisberger with 9 TDs and 250 interceptions against the NFC east this year.

https://twitter.com/pff/status/1336074494381789185?s=21

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I would give so much for QBR to start getting expressed in confusing fractions

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hot Diggity! posted:

???

?????????

This is a wild take because Stafford was left with dogshit outside of Megatron for a huge part of his career.

Also it's loving Megatron!!

hey, we also had Titus Young before/during his tragic breakdown

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Season? It says right there he did it in three games

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Intruder posted:

Season? It says right there he did it in three games

yeah he's thrown 250 interceptions this season but only in games against the NFC East, it's quite peculiar

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kirios posted:

Washington looks like a completely different team with Alex Smith quarterbacking them. They may be...decent? Good even?

I cannot believe how good Alex Smith looked.

His leg man, his leg.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OxySnake posted:

Alex Smith is gonna be the easy answer to "Who was your favorite player that everyone has forgotten about" in 10 years

Poor guy has gotten done dirty his entire career, but he just keeps ballin out.

He really managed to dig himself into the carson palmer zone of first overall pick, called a bust, but then crawled through the muck long enough to absolutely not be a bust in the grand sense.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

drat those are Favre levels of funslinging.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

How did Josh allen go from not being able to hit the broad side of a barn in college to this

gonna guess the caliber of positional coaching at the University of Wyoming was not elite
nor before that at the podunk central valley high school Allen went to

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

to follow up, i think people forget the huge disparity in the amount of coaching and preparation players might receive during their amateur years

pro scouts presumably do think about it and take it into account when considering which "project players" might be worthwhile

let's say QB #1 went to a giant suburban high school with 6,000 students and a football budget bigger than those of certain Division II colleges, flew all over the country going to positional training camps run by former pros, might've even have had a private QB tutor, then played at a power-5 college with infinite resources

now let's say QB #2 is from some grain elevator town where the high school's main concern is trying to cut their teen pregnancy rate down to 20%, never even heard of a dang QB camp, and played college ball at a nowhere school in a conference that was invented in the 1960s as a prank to annoy W.A. Criswell.

if QB #1 is still pretty raw, pro scout probably sees him and thinks "man this kid's a dipshit"

if QB #2 is still pretty raw, pro scout might think "hey we can work with this"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 8, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PupsOfWar posted:

let's say QB #1 went to a giant suburban high school with 6,000 students and a football budget bigger than those of certain Division II colleges, flew all over the country going to positional training camps run by former pros, might've even have had a private QB tutor, then played at a power-5 college with infinite resources

I was going to say the college recruiters are generally pretty good at finding guys who are built like a tank, run well and can throw the ball a mile. Looking up Allen's wiki page (which I question whether it's understandably sympathetic to him but whatever) that doesn't appear to be the case. But either way, we should all apparently be watching the chaos that is California JuCo football.

quote:

In his only season with Reedley College, Allen led an offense that averaged 452.2 yards of total offense per game to rank No. 9 among all California junior-college teams in total offense. Reedley averaged 285.3 passing yards per game to rank No. 7 among all California junior colleges, scored 39.4 points per game to rank No. 10 in the state, and averaged 166.9 yards rushing to rank 26th.

I feel I have bolded half of what would be hilarious to watch in an offense only football game and they were barely top 10 in state.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Now it’s even weirder to me that all it took to unlock Josh Allen’s true potential was Brian Daboll

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

It was so .... odd (and amazing) watching Josh Allen calmly shred that Niners defense.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't mean to be a TFF trendsetter by unironically liking Alex Smith but here were are.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WalletBeef posted:

It was so .... odd (and amazing) watching Josh Allen calmly shred that Niners defense.

is that really the niners defense?

at this point it's richard sherman and 10 guys named steve

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah isn’t the 49ers D as dead as the offense

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah isn’t the 49ers D as dead as the offense

Slightly less so in raw numbers IIRC, but missing George Kittle and Jimmy G is still big.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fartknocker posted:

Slightly less so in raw numbers IIRC, but missing George Kittle and Jimmy G is still big.

They're the offense. The Niners' D hasn't been a healthy unit all season what with Nick Bosa out and Richard Sherman missing until last week and a bunch of other guys missing various games too.

They're way better now but even the best defense in the league can't do poo poo if the offense is mostly DOA.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao just saw the Washington Football Team news.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao just saw the Washington Football Team news.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Sheen Sheen posted:

Now it’s even weirder to me that all it took to unlock Josh Allen’s true potential was Brian Daboll

Not only that the Bills have no history of QB development. Even Jim Kelly was already really good when they got him.

He was drafted under a coach who started Peterman on at least 2 separate occasions and doesn't know poo poo about Offense.

I think most of this is Allen himself though. He started off like a level 1 JRPG character who couldn't hit a slime.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Daboll is definitely going to be a HC next year right

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't mean to be a TFF trendsetter by unironically liking Alex Smith but here were are.

Were you the one with the Alex Smith Super Genius avatar or whatever it was? I still think of that and I really don’t know why

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

pasaluki posted:

Not only that the Bills have no history of QB development. Even Jim Kelly was already really good when they got him.

He was drafted under a coach who started Peterman on at least 2 separate occasions and doesn't know poo poo about Offense.

I think most of this is Allen himself though. He started off like a level 1 JRPG character who couldn't hit a slime.

Yeah if green bay or kansas city had developed allen I wouldn't be surprised. But this is loving buffalo, with worse qbs than the bears for almost two decades

Nov 6, 2002

I've always kinda thought the amount that coaches contribute to QB development is overrated and leads to bad assumptions. It's how you end up with fans thinking "we can't get rid of Lynn, look how great he's developed Herbert!" This, despite the fact that there was practically no offseason, Herbert was thrust into the starting role unexpectedly and was immediately good. Yes there are awful coaches like Gase who put his players into terrible situations, but those are the extremes. I think the NFL is so opaque we really can never know for sure who is responsible for a player's growth. Maybe it's the HC, maybe it's the OC, maybe it's the QB coach, who the gently caress knows. My guess it it's mostly the player putting in the work and learning from his experience. Is Mahomes really great because he's coached by Andy Reid? Or is it because he's an extremely gifted passer on a team with elite weapons? My guess is it's the latter.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 8, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's Pep Hamilton, not Lynn

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Is Mahomes really great because he's coached by Andy Reid? Or is it because he's an extremely gifted passer on a team with elite weapons? My guess is it's the latter.

it's all three - big accurate arm, elite weapons, offensive genius coach

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I've always kinda thought the amount that coaches contribute to QB development is overrated and leads to bad assumptions. It's how you end up with fans thinking "we can't get rid of Lynn, look how great he's developed Herbert!" This, despite the fact that there was practically no offseason, Herbert was thrust into the starting role unexpectedly and was immediately good. Yes there are awful coaches like Gase who put his players into terrible situations, but those are the extremes. I think the NFL is so opaque we really can never know for sure who is responsible for a player's growth. Maybe it's the HC, maybe it's the OC, maybe it's the QB coach, who the gently caress knows. My guess it it's mostly the player putting in the work and learning from his experience. Is Mahomes really great because he's coached by Andy Reid? Or is it because he's an extremely gifted passer on a team with elite weapons? My guess is it's the latter.

Look at the difference in Jared Goff in going from Jeff Fisher to Sean McVay. Granted that is one extreme end of the spectrum to the other, but Jeff Fisher still ran offense like it was 1960 and likely didn't know dick about what it takes to make a QB good

a neat cape posted:

He molded Andrew Luck too

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Or the guys who are stuck on teams with revolving doors at HC or OC. Having to learn and play in totally different systems every year can have a huge effect.

Alex Smith during his early years with the 49ers is the prime example of this, where he literally had a new OC each season until Harbaugh. Another one is look at the massive fall Matt Ryan and the Falcons took after Kyle Shanahan left, even though they still had mostly the same players and still ran a kinda-sorta similar system.

Nov 6, 2002

Yes obviously a HC who runs an antiquated offense (Fisher) or one that creates lousy match ups and features overly conservative plays (Gase) are obviously not going to help a rookie QB. That is clear. But that doesn't mean the next coach through the door is Yoda. I mean do you really think McVay is the boy genius that he's been anointed? Or is he just a guy running an aggressive modern pass attack that is taking advantage of the roster he has.

Nodoze posted:

He molded Andrew Luck too

He probably should have molded the shoulder part stronger.

a neat cape posted:

Honest question, how do you know?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 8, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Honest question, how do you know?

Best educated guess via the fact that Lynn is a RB coach, Pep has done this before with other quarterbacks, and is who Herbert spends most of his time with

Nov 6, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Best educated guess via the fact that Lynn is a RB coach, Pep has done this before with other quarterbacks, and is who Herbert spends most of his time with

You mean Andrew Luck? He was the consensus #1 overall and called a "generational" draft pick, a title he never really lived up to even before all the injuries and retirement. And Pep joined the Colts in Luck's 2nd year and was fired by after three because of the offense's poor performance.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Luck lived up to the hype though, he was just sacked 60 times a season and it slowly broke him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Luck was really really good when he wasn’t underneath 3 unblocked linemen