Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
Eggcellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

blaise rascal posted:

Yes we will need that stuff. What kind of music do you like to make?

As far as music goes, if you all submit a lot of songs, perhaps we could implement an in-game jukebox, or even radio station

I can make all kinds of music, mostly I make electronic/ambient music but I can also write chiptuney stuff or do things with acoustic guitar. I also did a lot of synthesis in school and am prepared for all kinds of foley/SFX work!

AARD VARKMAN
Imo something that involves lots of types of eggs with a template for people to do whatever they want would be a great way to get more people to contribute

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

barnold posted:

I can make all kinds of music, mostly I make electronic/ambient music but I can also write chiptuney stuff or do things with acoustic guitar. I also did a lot of synthesis in school and am prepared for all kinds of foley/SFX work!
Ah cool! I'll keep that in mind...

TheAardvark posted:

Imo something that involves lots of types of eggs with a template for people to do whatever they want would be a great way to get more people to contribute
I think you may be onto something here.

Some more ideas tossed around in discord:
-super egg bros
-egg the hedgehog
-egg: symphony of night
-mortal kombat but everyone's eggs so the fights are really short
-all 4 of the above ideas but packaged together into a warioware game
-a bullet hell where you have to avoid being hit, getting hit makes the egg crack open

Also, the game window will be 960x540, with everything blown up 2x, so your sprites have to fit into a 480x270 window. I hope to show off a demo of the dialog system tonight, so you all will see how it fits together...

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.vocaroo.com/1fQFlqbaJjC2
https://www.vocaroo.com/1fexdlmb3LFm
https://www.vocaroo.com/1naGQLdLaZIH

hi feel free to never use these!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

pseudorandom

This sounds awesome! I will attempt to help with any ideas (programming/art/dialog/sfx) which happen to capture the attention of my ADHD to receive necessary effort.

I'll probably end up just photoshopping random sprites.

I'm eggcited.

Edit: I'd like to propose egg based puns for the title, like "Hard Boiled" or "Over Easy".

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 12, 2020

itry

Egg simulator.

Bet that already exists.

pseudorandom

itry posted:

Egg simulator.

Bet that already exists.

Egg Tycoon
Vigilante Egg: 2nd Eggfence
CyberEgg

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

"Hard Boiled"
The egg detective game

blaise rascal

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/dialog-demo

Okay here is a demo of the dialog system! Click the link to try it out! Those of you who want to write, hopefully this gives you a better idea of the possibilities for writing dialog (or descriptions or whatever). The dialog does not need to be triggered by clicking a button; I can make it trigger at the start of the game, or when you interact with something in the environment, or whatever. I can make it say different things if you interact with the same item more than once. I can also add a little box that says "Bob" or whoever is talking.

These are placeholder graphics and should be replaced! Here they are if you want to make them fancier. (If you do intend to do this, please post in the thread, so that multiple people don't try to do the same work)

blaise rascal

Your contribution is greatly appreciated!

Plant Monster created these awesome bits of concept art. Maybe... maybe there are eggs, and you breed them to get new eggs???

posting smiling

TheAardvark posted:

this makes me imagine a logistics game where you have egg varieties arriving on a conveyor belt and have four cartons to fill. you receive more points for more matches in egg type within the carton, so there is an element of gamesmanship in terms of deciding which eggs to commit to, and which to let pass by.

i forgot about checking the rules before i started working on this last night, so it might not be allowable, but here is the prototype of the 3d shmup i mentioned. i just changed the tower into an egg cup when i saw the theme. the idea is you destroy the power station, bringing down the shield, then the shell, and the ultimate objective to to collect the yolk inside

https://i.imgur.com/CYUMkrT.mp4

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

Plant Monster created these awesome bits of concept art. Maybe... maybe there are eggs, and you breed them to get new eggs???
I'm trying to figure out how to turn this into a game. It might be actually better to do like slime rancher, where you find eggs in the environment, and bring them back to your farm and they hatch into monsters which produce money. Hmm...

Here are a few comments from discord:

"i like the idea of an egg hatching from an egg
congratulations its egg
egg reveal party
offwhite smoke"

"what if you have to hatch things like a pack of marlboros and some middle-shelf whiskey to summon your dad"

"raw egg white overflows from the chimneys. a new egg has been chosen"

Also, here is a very long list of eggs by Plant Monster:
Octagonal Egg
Maddened Egg
Bloody Egg
Strange Egg
Mythical Egg
Mystical Egg
Bubble Egg
Bumpy Egg,
Chewy Egg,
Germinator Egg,
Bumble Bee Egg
Sweet Egg
Splash Egg
Mock Egg
Dusty Egg
Wild Egg
Frozen Egg
Pelagic Egg
Radar Egg
Chocolate Egg
Clammy Egg
Lady Egg
Enlarged Egg
Galaxian Egg
Acorn Egg
Marbled Egg
Vacuum Egg
Gummy Egg
Fairy Egg
Hard Boiled Egg
Old Fashioned Egg
Popping Rainbow Egg
Horned Egg
Knight Egg
Prismatic Egg
Rubber Egg
Machine Egg
Witch Egg
Stale Egg
Foamy Egg
Simple Egg
Novel Egg
Espresso Egg
Lawn Egg
Oval Egg
Shadow Egg
Nectonic Egg
Stormy Egg
Leafy Egg
Stinky Egg
Sloppy Egg
Cracked Egg

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

this makes me imagine a logistics game where you have egg varieties arriving on a conveyor belt and have four cartons to fill. you receive more points for more matches in egg type within the carton, so there is an element of gamesmanship in terms of deciding which eggs to commit to, and which to let pass by.

i forgot about checking the rules before i started working on this last night, so it might not be allowable, but here is the prototype of the 3d shmup i mentioned. i just changed the tower into an egg cup when i saw the theme. the idea is you destroy the power station, bringing down the shield, then the shell, and the ultimate objective to to collect the yolk inside

https://i.imgur.com/CYUMkrT.mp4
:stwoon: this shmup is so good

posting smiling

blaise rascal posted:

:stwoon: this shmup is so good

thanks. if we want to use this or something like it, it could use art for the buildings/landmarks, terrain scatter, the ship design itself, and sprites for enemies like i mentioned before. and of course, any input on design or alternate directions to go would be appreciated.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Potential Egg merchant who can sell and buy eggs.

Charles D'Egg Introduction: https://voca.ro/1mJSZbIUZi44
Charles D'Egg New Eggs: https://voca.ro/1hsNWG8QU0Kf
Charles D'Egg Purchasing Egg: https://voca.ro/1up4LB56ctL6
Charles D'Egg No Buy Egg: https://voca.ro/1UBPZPM0CaPM
Charles D'Egg Compliment: https://voca.ro/1jBe4BUiAbEt

Feel free to use the character of Charles D'Egg and if you need more I will make more Charles D'Egg thank you.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

itry

pseudorandom posted:

"Hard Boiled"

blaise rascal posted:

The egg detective game

This is cheesy and I like it.

blaise rascal

blaise rascal

Okay so I'd like to pose a question to the group: Suppose we make an rpg for this game jam. What would such an rpg look like? What would the main character be?

biosterous

i made this earlier but couldn't post it due to being busy with cult things

the individual frames are in this gallery, in case someone wants to do something with them!
https://postimg.cc/gallery/hDB8JM7

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

pseudorandom

Notice for the rest of the thread: Please tell me to shut up if my dumb spit ball ideas are too dumb and/or if they disrupt progress.

blaise rascal posted:

Okay so I'd like to pose a question to the group: Suppose we make an rpg for this game jam. What would such an rpg look like? What would the main character be?

If the main character is not an egg, then I'm thinking either a pig (farm setting) or a piece of toast (city setting).

regarding mentions of a discord, is this serious overchill or a different BYOB discord? if the former, which channel is this happening in?

posting smiling

i was just having a chicken coop game concept while i was on a walk, with a rts/clicker mechanic. your units are chickens and you can assign them to lay an egg, sit on an egg to make it hatch faster, or build more nests so you can have more eggs at once. and you just get as many chickens as you can.

posting smiling
egg visual novel where it is set in the coop and the characters are the eggs and it's a coming of age story about getting ready to hatch

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

i was just having a chicken coop game concept while i was on a walk, with a rts/clicker mechanic. your units are chickens and you can assign them to lay an egg, sit on an egg to make it hatch faster, or build more nests so you can have more eggs at once. and you just get as many chickens as you can.
I keep coming back to the idea of an enemy regularly showing up to attack your chickens & eggs, and you have to drive it back. It doesn’t have to be a tough enemy to defeat, but games like Insaniquarium and Gaiadi use this mechanic to good effect. What if the villain is Colonel Sanders trying to steal your chickens, and the game is called Colonel Panic?

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

I keep coming back to the idea of an enemy regularly showing up to attack your chickens & eggs, and you have to drive it back. It doesn’t have to be a tough enemy to defeat, but games like Insaniquarium and Gaiadi use this mechanic to good effect. What if the villain is Colonel Sanders trying to steal your chickens, and the game is called Colonel Panic?
Adding to this idea: You have an item called the "chick magnet" which you can use to manipulate the world around you. Suck in nearby chickens, blast them away from you, suck in eggs, blast them away, use corn to feed to your chickens, etc. Similar mechanics to the Slime Rancher gun-thing. Also you can use it to blast some type of ammo at Colonel Sanders when he attacks.
I also anticipate being able to place structures. Corn stalks produce corn, maybe there's a chicken clothing store which will put hats on chickens which makes them more productive, structures that automatically collect eggs, that automatically feed chickens, that attack the Colonel... The idea of exponentially building up your economy is a time-tested game mechanic.

Okay, I'm leaning toward this idea. I know it's tough to explain but it'll make more sense as we get into it.

I like the rpg idea too, but I think I'll put a nix on it because of lack of ideas being generated in this thread. But maybe byob will make an rpg in the future.

For now, though, I have a simple request from all of you: I'm gonna need a LOT of egg drawings. Details to come in a moment...

pseudorandom posted:

regarding mentions of a discord, is this serious overchill or a different BYOB discord? if the former, which channel is this happening in?
it's the unofficial byob discord! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765039#post509167370

blaise rascal

So, we're gonna need a lot of unique eggs. Here are the requirements:

Each egg should have a name
Each egg needs to have a cute / funny description, one or two sentences long.
Each egg should be roughly this size:

Note that your eggs do not have to be this shape! They can be circular, or anything your heart desires. The template image is 116x153, and an image you make should have a max size of about 150x180.

Example:

MYSTICAL EGG
Description: Contains the secrets of the cosmos.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 13, 2020

blaise rascal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Potential Egg merchant who can sell and buy eggs.

Charles D'Egg Introduction: https://voca.ro/1mJSZbIUZi44
Charles D'Egg New Eggs: https://voca.ro/1hsNWG8QU0Kf
Charles D'Egg Purchasing Egg: https://voca.ro/1up4LB56ctL6
Charles D'Egg No Buy Egg: https://voca.ro/1UBPZPM0CaPM
Charles D'Egg Compliment: https://voca.ro/1jBe4BUiAbEt

Feel free to use the character of Charles D'Egg and if you need more I will make more Charles D'Egg thank you.
This is amazing. I'll try to work Charles D'Egg into the game. Unfortunately, I think what we will need is not a egg salesman, but a chicken & other items salesman (and you pay for your items with eggs). Like, they may sell machines that automate parts of the farming process.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

blaise rascal posted:

This is amazing. I'll try to work Charles D'Egg into the game. Unfortunately, I think what we will need is not a egg salesman, but a chicken & other items salesman (and you pay for your items with eggs). Like, they may sell machines that automate parts of the farming process.

I can rework Charles D'Egg into a chicken and other items salesman.

posting smiling

blaise rascal posted:

sounds great to me, and i am seeing the colonel sanders head as a sort of hungry hungry hippo lunging in from the border of the playfield with a monty python style cutout animation on his mouth and laughing about it

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm working on making eggs as we speak!

"time to make da eggs" -the dunkin donuts guy haha remember him

posting smiling

HEALTHY MINDEGG
Description: powerful, clean, and sexy, it hums with the song of infinite possibilities

DARK MINDEGG
Description: deeply warped and internally divided. carries unshakeable obsession with the void. avoid at all costs.

pseudorandom

blaise rascal posted:

So, we're gonna need a lot of unique eggs. Here are the requirements:

Each egg should have a name
Each egg needs to have a cute / funny description, one or two sentences long.
Each egg should be roughly this size:

Note that your eggs do not have to be this shape! They can be circular, or anything your heart desires.

Example:

MYSTICAL EGG
Description: Contains the secrets of the cosmos.

I don't have anything specific in mind, but I want to ask this preemptively. If I wanted to add things that add to the size of the egg, like a hat, should the whole sprite be shrunk so it fits the vertical size of your example, or can the sprite be larger as long as the egg itself is the same as the example?

edit: or should we just stick to eggs without added components?

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

HEALTHY MINDEGG
Description: powerful, clean, and sexy, it hums with the song of infinite possibilities

DARK MINDEGG
Description: deeply warped and internally divided. carries unshakeable obsession with the void. avoid at all costs.
hell yeah these are great! also sk drew some very good ones which I will post when I remember.

By the way, all of these eggs will function identically in the game. They’ll be dropped at random, and whenever you pick up a new one, it will pop up the egg picture and the description of the egg.

pseudorandom posted:

I don't have anything specific in mind, but I want to ask this preemptively. If I wanted to add things that add to the size of the egg, like a hat, should the whole sprite be shrunk so it fits the vertical size of your example, or can the sprite be larger as long as the egg itself is the same as the example?

edit: or should we just stick to eggs without added components?
Good question! Hats are real good, and you can absolutely add a hat to that existing sprite to make it taller. I’d say that a hat should only increase the height of that template image by 27 pixels or so

In other words: the template image is 116x153, and an image you make should have a max of about 150x 180

pseudorandom

DIGITAL EGG
Description: A mesh of vert-eggs-es, now in glorious 3D! Vulnerable to cracking and hacking.

AARD VARKMAN
Going to try and get together some fun Basic Eggs tomorrow if work gives me a chance. :sweatdrop:

Thinking of which, can we decide on some egg rarity categories just to give people ideas?

Heather Papps

hello friend

a chill friendly egg that just wants everyone to have a good time

i might try and make this less lovely but i kind of like how bad it is

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

DIGITAL EGG
Description: A mesh of vert-eggs-es, now in glorious 3D! Vulnerable to cracking and hacking.
This is indeed glorious! Thank you!

TheAardvark posted:

Going to try and get together some fun Basic Eggs tomorrow if work gives me a chance. :sweatdrop:

Thinking of which, can we decide on some egg rarity categories just to give people ideas?
You can come up with a rarity system if it helps you or other people! Though I probably won't have time to implement something like that in game. (I don't want to fall into the trap of promising too much then underdelivering!)

Heather Papps posted:

a chill friendly egg that just wants everyone to have a good time

i might try and make this less lovely but i kind of like how bad it is
This is just great, thanks!
Here is my progress today:

The player character can walk around, and different environmental objects are sorted based on their y-positions

Horrible Butts
I thought of an egg that's more intensive to implement, use if useable...

It's a Fabergé Puzzle Egg! Quite rare to find one in working condition.
An enticing clue is etched in the purple enamel: "EGG."

The first egg is how it looks when you find it, the second is the solution, the third is a blank one.
The idea is clicking an animal's face would change it to the next one (Ant, Bear, Cat, Dog, Elephant, Frog, Goat, then back to Ant)
If you line it up to Elephant, Goat, Goat... something good happens?

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

Horrible Butts

Scream Egg
This mouthy little egg just screams and screams.

Softstone Egg
A well-worn egg. Perhaps it was part of a cobblestone road once, or a few bricks in a fine wall.

Discreet Bee Egg
A specialized bee egg for those with private bee egg needs. No questions asked.

MyEgg
Wow, remember MyEgg? If it was still around, I'd put you in my top dozen.

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Horrible Butts posted:

MyEgg
Wow, remember MyEgg? If it was still around, I'd put you in my top dozen.

lmao