Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry

Die Hard-Boiled Egg

Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.

Edit: different version

itry fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

do u think the game would benefit from things that are not eggs that u shouldn't collect or is that too mean to eggs

itry

Schrodinger's Egg

There's an egg in there. Or is there?

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

biosterous posted:

what if the one in the bottom left was an upgrade you could buy, a chickenegg that walked around randomly and collected eggs for you if it happened to walk over them
Hadn't thought of that, interesting idea!

biosterous posted:

didn't have any lag problems until i hit this point. well over a hundred chickens laying eggs, and let them pile up for a minute before it slowed down at all :yayclod:
TY for the valuable stress test info

nut posted:

do u think the game would benefit from things that are not eggs that u shouldn't collect or is that too mean to eggs
Hmm maybe! So far I have kinda been just copying the mechanics of Insaniquarium. I know, I know, it would be interesting to try doing original things, but that is not how my brain works. I'll keep it under consideration though.

Here is my plan as far as gameplay goes:
-ADD CHICKEN HUNGER & CORN
-A corn kernel costs 1 egg
-Chickens have 4 states: full, hungry, very hungry, and dead. (full & hungry look identical, very hungry has like a green tinge to it, dead is upside down with x's in the eyes, then disappears after a while)
-When chickens are hungry or very hungry, they will walk toward any corn close to them, then eat it. (Maybe PM would be nice enough to do a pecking animation?)

-Add the new eggs that have been submitted, also add Kief Richard's butthole drawing to the game somewhere, also add candeggcorn which I forgot to add before

-I think I will probably want to add an item like "Bag of corn" that contains 20 corn kernels which you can scatter around, so that you don't have to continuously click the "corn" button when your economy kicks off

-Need to fix the bug where if you pick up 2 eggs at the same time it only counts 1 of them

-ADD COLONEL SANDERS ATTACKING PERIODICALLY
-He'll move around, basically killing all chickens and eggs he touches
-Your cursor turns into an aiming reticule and you fire eggs by clicking in his direction
-I'd like to add him getting tougher as the game goes on; it would be especially cool if his difficulty scaled depending on how well you were doing, so that he was never too easy nor too tough
-Maybe he'll have visual upgrades, like shoulder mounted cannons
-Maybe the player character has health and can die if it takes too much damage? Not sure how bullet hell to make this

-At this point, I could simply have a "ANTI-SANDERS LASER" button that costs 100 eggs or something, and make it so that you win the game when it's purchased. (Or, make it so that it transitions to "posting smiling"'s starfox game when it's purchased.)

HOWEVER, I think it would be cooler, if the win-the-game button costs fossils instead. "How do you get fossils?" you ask. Well, they are simply dropped periodically by dinosaurs, a unit which costs 20 eggs and periodically consumes chickens to survive.

Then there would be a shop owned by Charles D'Egg, which sells the following permanent upgrades, accepting fossils as the currency.

5 fossils - FERTILIZATION - Sometimes eggs hatch into chickens
10 fossils - LIFE FINDS A WAY - Sometimes eggs hatch into dinosaurs
10 fossils - DRUMSTICKS BLAZING - A grizzled chicken with nothing to lose joins your cause to fight Colonel Sanders
10 fossils - SENIOR PRANK - Some punk-rear end students planted corn in your lawn. Corn regularly grows out of the ground to feed your chickens.
80 fossils - ANTI-SANDERS LASER - The ultimate weapon to take down the Colonel, once and for all.

What I like about the "dinosaur" unit is that it would force you to have a balanced economy. You'll want to have fossils to buy those sweet permanent upgrades; but if you get too many dinosaurs, you won't have enough chickens to feed them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's my general plan as far as the gameplay. There are other things I'll need, like environmental art and music, but those are more self-explanatory.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

https://imgur.com/a/7jvF1aI

I'm excited to play some of the games the other teams are making lol

blaise rascal

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

I'd love to make a soundtrack or models for it. I'm definetly not a professional 3d artist so probably only easier stuff. I am pretty good at recording music though, and I love scoring stuff

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i can draw monsters and make music

barnold posted:

i am goig to make assets. do you need sound effects and music and stuff? i have lots of stuff i can send

You three mentioned being interested in making music. Are you still interested? Please let me know by the end of the day - otherwise there are some folks in the Godot Wild Jam discord who want to make music and haven't found a team yet

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
eats

blaise rascal

:monocle: whoa! ask and ye shall receive

(I really love this chicken)

Prof. Crocodile

blaise rascal posted:

(I really love this chicken)

AARD VARKMAN
im gonna smooch the chicken

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

itry posted:

Die Hard-Boiled Egg

Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.

Edit: different version

You might be surprised to learn this is a Christmas egg.

Goons Are Gifts

Hello, yes, we have a situation here, I think Canada is invading with eggs and they are using Kafkaeggs as weapons

Goons Are Gifts

Finally, I am at home

blaise rascal

I hate to break it to you all filling your screen with chickens, but I'm gonna add a mechanic where you have to regularly feed your chickens, making it tough to maintain a population this big

Horrible Butts

Eggs Benediction
And if I die before I wake
I will miss breakfast, which would be a bummer.

Poison Egg
Extra damaging to grass-type eggs.

Chocolate Egg
The great Cathy once called shoes “chocolate for the feet.”

Fried Egg
Fried egg, fried egg, gotta get down on fried egg.

World Egg
The Orphic Egg, born of the opposing gods C’kin and Sundurs at the start and end of the universe.

Robin’s Egg Blue Egg
This chicken egg is blue! That’s amazing, I can’t believe it. No stranger an egg have I ever seen.

Goldenegg 007
Flappers only!

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

nut

Horrible Butts posted:

Eggs Benediction
And if I die before I wake
I will miss breakfast, which would be a bummer.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

dino buddy

blaise rascal

I love him lol. Those little feet. Thanks once again!

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

thanks. if we want to use this or something like it, it could use art for the buildings/landmarks, terrain scatter, the ship design itself, and sprites for enemies like i mentioned before. and of course, any input on design or alternate directions to go would be appreciated.
You still thinking of making this 3D shmup for this game? If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

blaise rascal

Other topic: If you're wondering whether or not I'm still accepting eggs, the answer is yes! I'd especially love to see an egg from someone who is lurking this thread and hasn't submitted anything yet. That'd be hella cool

Plant MONSTER.

yeah there needs to be a poo poo load of eggs imo

make some rarer

make rarer ones worth more pts

Plant MONSTER.

1. Diamond Egg: Wonderful sparkling treasure born from the Earth's warm bosom.

2. Cubic Zirconia: Awful gaudy bauble born from a cold lab's crucible.

3. Zircon: Not cubic zirconia. Not trash.

blaise rascal

Corn has been added! This one was quite the puzzler to implement. The goal was as follows:

Each chicken has a hidden satiety meter that constantly ticks down
-When the meter is high, the chicken mills around
-When the meter is medium, there is some kind of visual queue that it's hungry, and it will move to the nearest corn (if one is close enough for it to see) and eat it. if it can't see one it mills around
-When the meter is low, the chicken dies

It's working pretty well! Just have a few bugs to iron out, then build 0.4 is coming.

Yeesh, only 2 days and 14 hours left in the jam? Better make these next parts quickly.

itry

Can they turn into chiken wings when they die?

No, I don't know what you're supposed to do with the chiken wings. Maybe feed the dinosaur.

pseudorandom

If it's not too late, I made a few more eggs.

JPEgg
Well known for being a very lightweight egg, at the cost of frequently being low quality.

PEggy
(Open to suggestions for description)

MEgg
Shut up, MEgg.

blaise rascal

itry posted:

Can they turn into chiken wings when they die?

No, I don't know what you're supposed to do with the chiken wings. Maybe feed the dinosaur.
The dinos only eat live chickens :black101:

pseudorandom posted:

If it's not too late, I made a few more eggs.

JPEgg
Well known for being a very lightweight egg, at the cost of frequently being low quality.

PEggy
(Open to suggestions for description)

MEgg
Shut up, MEgg.
It's not too late. Thanks!

blaise rascal

:siren: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/colonel-panic-demo :siren:

Okay here is update 0.4! New features:
-You can place corn, which decays over time!
-Chickens will go to corn and eat it if they're close and if they're hungry!
-Really hungry chickens will die!
-The environment looks nicer
-Added little UI buttons for:
----audio mute (a song has been made but I haven't added it yet)
----skipping the dialog
----pausing the game.

Haven't gotten around to adding the new eggs yet, but I will certainly do so.

There is still no winning state, so if you play it, just stop when you get bored I guess

Here's a new artistic challenge, if people are getting tired of making eggs:

The entire game takes place inside this white fence. But when the camera pans to the edges, it's possible to see beyond the fence to the rest of the grassy world. What is out there? I don't know. Maybe a house or a lake or something? It's up to you to draw what your imagination dictates! This challenge is optional, so if nothing comes to mind, don't sweat it.

blaise rascal

ugh I gotta figure out this bug where chickens forget how to eat sometimes

blaise rascal

Okay, I just fixed several bugs & reuploaded. Now it should play better

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

The entire game takes place inside this white fence. But when the camera pans to the edges, it's possible to see beyond the fence to the rest of the grassy world. What is out there? I don't know. Maybe a house or a lake or something? It's up to you to draw what your imagination dictates! This challenge is optional, so if nothing comes to mind, don't sweat it.
Here's an idea; maybe some signs saying how to play the game? "WASD to move" "Place corn to feed chickens" etc.

biosterous

an art for outside a fence:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

biosterous posted:

an art for outside a fence:

do we know where the cat is from? I’m supposed to credit art we don’t draw ourselves

Also I may put different text in the speech bubble. I don’t think I’ll have time to put in a “feeding the cat” mechanic and I don’t want the player to feel bad they can’t feed the cat

blaise rascal

Sorry if it seems like I'm rejecting a lot of ideas. Your ideas are good. They're just tough for me to implement for reasons that would take a while to explain.

biosterous

no worries, i get it :buddy:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nut

biosterous posted:

no worries, i get it :buddy:

can u use these cats

blaise rascal

nut posted:

can u use these cats

hell yeah! i think I'm gonna have them periodically walk across the screen outside the fence. TY for your contribution

blaise rascal

nut posted:

can u use these cats

Actually I've decided to use these as the enemies! Wow!!!

Khanstant
hth

blaise rascal

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

it does, thank you!

E: I think I'll have some of that stuff wandering the outside of the game world, beyond the fence. It'll help the game world seem more alive!