Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posting smiling
blaise great idea. i've also been using godot for personal projects lately and came to find it a lot more comfortable than unity. i would love to participate either in programming or art/sound. i love doing game jams but usually only solo and usually find it a bit too stressful. the last time i did a team jam was in 2008 in my first year of college, so this will be fun to try again.

and blender's not just good for 3d. grease pencil makes it a great choice for 2d sprite animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling
here's one of my godot projects. it plays a midi file and animates a virtual band with a character for each midi instrument that are programmed to animate when specific notes play so that they sync with the audio. but there are too many midi instruments so i only got a frog playing a trumpet and a monkey playing an accordion.

https://i.imgur.com/l0Fdd18.mp4

posting smiling
when i can find the artistic confidence to animate a platypus playing a piccolo i will be ready to return and finish that project.

posting smiling

more falafel please posted:

welp I have a new favorite band

posting smiling
oh i had missed your previous threads for these. i'm looking through your itch page now. cool.

posting smiling
since you mentioned bullet hell, i imagined i could make a scene in 3d for a boss fight or special stage, like when you go into "all range mode" in star fox and can fly freely around. then the majority of the game could be 2d gameplay with your scenes and the pixel art, and my scene could maybe house art from people who want to work in different styles. i'm imagining using billboard sprites like doom, so people could still make 2d art for the 3d gameplay.

i like 2x scaling for easier asset creation/legibility on screen personally.

posting smiling

TheAardvark posted:

Imo something that involves lots of types of eggs with a template for people to do whatever they want would be a great way to get more people to contribute

this makes me imagine a logistics game where you have egg varieties arriving on a conveyor belt and have four cartons to fill. you receive more points for more matches in egg type within the carton, so there is an element of gamesmanship in terms of deciding which eggs to commit to, and which to let pass by.

i forgot about checking the rules before i started working on this last night, so it might not be allowable, but here is the prototype of the 3d shmup i mentioned. i just changed the tower into an egg cup when i saw the theme. the idea is you destroy the power station, bringing down the shield, then the shell, and the ultimate objective to to collect the yolk inside

https://i.imgur.com/CYUMkrT.mp4

posting smiling

blaise rascal posted:

:stwoon: this shmup is so good

thanks. if we want to use this or something like it, it could use art for the buildings/landmarks, terrain scatter, the ship design itself, and sprites for enemies like i mentioned before. and of course, any input on design or alternate directions to go would be appreciated.

posting smiling

i was just having a chicken coop game concept while i was on a walk, with a rts/clicker mechanic. your units are chickens and you can assign them to lay an egg, sit on an egg to make it hatch faster, or build more nests so you can have more eggs at once. and you just get as many chickens as you can.

posting smiling
egg visual novel where it is set in the coop and the characters are the eggs and it's a coming of age story about getting ready to hatch

posting smiling

blaise rascal posted:

I keep coming back to the idea of an enemy regularly showing up to attack your chickens & eggs, and you have to drive it back. It doesn’t have to be a tough enemy to defeat, but games like Insaniquarium and Gaiadi use this mechanic to good effect. What if the villain is Colonel Sanders trying to steal your chickens, and the game is called Colonel Panic?

sounds great to me, and i am seeing the colonel sanders head as a sort of hungry hungry hippo lunging in from the border of the playfield with a monty python style cutout animation on his mouth and laughing about it

posting smiling

HEALTHY MINDEGG
Description: powerful, clean, and sexy, it hums with the song of infinite possibilities

DARK MINDEGG
Description: deeply warped and internally divided. carries unshakeable obsession with the void. avoid at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posting smiling
great job on the game blaise and everyone who contributed. the visuals came together really nicely and collecting all the eggs and seeing all the art was enough to make the gameplay worth doing. sorry i didn't end up contributing more, but i got preoccupied by the holidays.