Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
e:
:siren: :siren: THE GAME IS DONE! :siren: :siren:
(though I may update it after jam voting ends)

12 byobbers helped make this game a reality!! Thanks to plant monster, khanstant, pseudorandom, nut, posting smiling, heather papps, horrible butts, biosterous, sk, prof. crocodile, & itry
Click here to play: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game
Click here for my closing thoughts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post510909325

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello all! Starting this Friday the 11th is the 28th Godot Wild Jam, which seems as good an opportunity as any for byob to work together on a video game!

Here is how it will work:
-The theme for the game jam will be announced on Friday. (e: the theme is egg!)
-We'll discuss the theme and come up with a game idea. (if we hate the theme we can ignore it)
-I'll do most of the programming.
-You all will email me assets at blaze.rascal.sa@gmail.com, or post your assets in this thread. (assets include art, music, writing, etc.)
-I'll bundle it all into a game!!! Hopefully it will all be finished by the 20th!

If you want to contribute to the programming, that's great as well! But it's a little tough for multiple people to work on the same code, so I request that any programming you do, be separated into its own standalone scene (.tscn file). Then just zip it up, along with the supporting assets, and email it to me! To learn to program in the Godot Engine, simply download Godot and mess around with one of the template projects, or work on the official tutorials.

"BUT BLAISE," you say, as your excitement borders on hysteria, "MY ART AND MUSIC AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH!" Well, that is where you are wrong, my friend! As long as your entry is not offensive, it is welcome, and if all you do is take a photo of a tree and post it in this thread, I will find a way to work it into the game. (The one thing I will not accept is 3d models, because making games in 3d is hard. Sorry, blender crew. But your 2d renders are welcome!)

We still have a few days before this thing kicks off, and I'll use this time to get my development environment set up and answer questions.

One last note: I request your patience because I am still learning Godot, and I may not be able to field all requests you all may have. If I can't work something into the game as a result of my lack of experience, I apologize! (To see examples of my work, click here: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/)

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Task Board

Current build https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/egg-game-demo

For our farming game, we'll need the following:
-A lot of unique eggs. Here is a guide: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&pagenumber=2#post510686920
-Also, here is a very long list of possible eggs by Plant Monster: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950788&pagenumber=2#post510677914
-A main character sprite with a walk animation and idle animation
-A colonel Sanders sprite with a walk animation and idle animation
-A chicken sprite with a walk animation and idle animation completed by plant monster
-Background / game world art
-Background music
-Some sound effects (exactly what is needed will be determined later)

Let's put your submissions on hold for now! Because the game must be completed tomorrow!

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 20, 2020

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

Posting a thread like this can be a bit scary, so it's awesome to see a warm response from you all! Those of you who have expressed interest in contributing, if there's any questions you have, I'm happy to answer. I'm hesitant to give too much instruction, since I want everyone to feel like their style is the correct style, but maybe I'll write an artist's guide and musician's guide to give a few tips.

biosterous posted:

i think the rolling cat should be in the game
I agree! Hmm, does someone want to draw the rolling cat? I'm fine with using a few pieces of art from the internet, but byob has such drawing talent, I bet someone would want to draw it (or something similar) from scratch, which would be even better!

posting smiling posted:

blaise great idea. i've also been using godot for personal projects lately and came to find it a lot more comfortable than unity. i would love to participate either in programming or art/sound. i love doing game jams but usually only solo and usually find it a bit too stressful. the last time i did a team jam was in 2008 in my first year of college, so this will be fun to try again.

and blender's not just good for 3d. grease pencil makes it a great choice for 2d sprite animation.
I agree about the unity vs. godot comparison. They're pretty similar, and unity may have shipped more commercial games, but godot is just so much easier. Also, very true point about blender and greasepencil!

posting smiling posted:

here's one of my godot projects. it plays a midi file and animates a virtual band with a character for each midi instrument that are programmed to animate when specific notes play so that they sync with the audio. but there are too many midi instruments so i only got a frog playing a trumpet and a monkey playing an accordion.

https://i.imgur.com/l0Fdd18.mp4
Oh gosh, this is so amazing. I am an idiot when it comes to 3D, but what if... what if you make a standalone 3D scene, and then the game could switch to your scene at some point, then switch back to the 2D scene? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, haha.

blaise rascal

It's clear that byob has good writers, so I'll start thinking about how to incorporate writing you all contribute. To me, writing in video games often takes the form of:
-dialog (possibly branching based on player input) (this also includes stuff like reading signs & tutorials)
-books you can inspect and read in the game world

For the next two days, I'd like to work on structures that would support adding these things to a game. So my task list leading up to the jam is:
-Make a simple state machine with a dialog state and a gameplay state - controls are inactive during the dialog state.
-Make transitions between these states
-Make the dialog state pop up a text box and word-wrapped text, and make these things go away when the dialog state ends
-Perhaps make the dialog print slowly (and you can press a button to make it print faster)
-Perhaps make it so that dialog longer than 2 lines is printed on sequential dialog windows (or make the dialog scroll down within the window)
-Maybe add branching-ness to the dialog, by popping up windows with choices
-Selection cursor or mouse to select option, text highlights when mouse is hovered over it, etc.
-Based on user selection do different things
-More optional features: Different dialog if you interact multiple times with the same thing, character portraits pop up, etc. Only really needed for rpgs
-Add state for item inspection, with scene transitions
-If we want books in game, create a book background, and make text fit on book, and make it so that you can click between pages

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 9, 2020

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

Since it's the only thing I can do properly, I'm happy to offer writing for that stuff!
As CC also has its travelling circus around to collect tales of happening creative work, do you want me to signal boost it there, too? Maybe you could get even more creative minds on this!
I appreciate the offer, but I do not want you to post about this project in that thread. But I do hope you write something!

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

Alright, I'm happy to write! Just tell me when you got some outlines and I'll think about what I could get started on
What kind of stuff do you like to write? Let's see... I remember really enjoying your nonfiction, when you would write about stuff like ants. If you wanted to contribute something like that, I think we could work it in!

blaise rascal

Glutes Are Great posted:

I pretty much write for a living, so I have hardly a specific framework of what I write, but for my job (academical research and teaching on a university) I usually write nonfiction, which I assume somehow carried over into the ant threads, too. However, until a while ago I also used to game master a lot of P&P and wrote hundreds of pages of fictional stuff that I always only limit to that, as I'm always too scared to publish anything, except for that one time when I had a very small thread in BYOB where I posted spontanously written fairy tales a few years ago.
My biggest problem usually is creativity, as I'm just not good at spawning new stuff from nothing, but I'm usually quite good at transforming given stuff into new stuff or use starting points and turn them into something big. When I was younger, I used that to even write an entire book actually, of course it was terrible, but I liked doing it!
In fictional things I'm experienced with world-building, character development and dialogue, in nonfictional things I can offer everything from literal nonsense (seriously I used to do that professionally and even published it anonymously with interesting results) to academic research papers and arguments.
Ah cool! Yeah all that stuff could be useful for sure. I'm excited!

nut posted:

i was wondering if a pokemon-ish game or even like a gatcha pon/claw machine game would be really amenable to a bunch of people contributing random art and writing? The rules of those two types of games don't have to be relevant, but i was just trying to think of something where you could have a bunch of different monsters/items from different sources
These are both good ideas. I know that godot has simulated physics with its "rigid body" class that can be used for stuff like claw games:

I've messed around with this a bit and it's surprisingly easy.

Another type of game that could have a lot of people contributing things is some kind of rpg, filled with places for the player to explore & stuff.

e: Also maybe a bullet hell, where people draw lots of different enemies. Same thing goes for a platformer. There are a LOT of options.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 9, 2020

blaise rascal

Kief Richards posted:

I drew a butthole yesterday, please put it in the game. Theme be damned, this is BYOB.

hell yeah. if there is a christmas tree in game, this will be the star on top of it.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i can draw monsters and make music
you can do everything my friend, as evidenced by your extremely high-quality cyoas. very glad to have you on board

blaise rascal

The dialog system is coming along fine. I doubt it will be feature complete by tomorrow (meaning no branching dialog) but it should be more than capable of handling things like item descriptions and reading signs.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to have the game scale up everything to be 2x its size. Doing so would turn this:

into this:

BENEFITS OF SCALING EVERYTHING UP 2X
-I normally make games in this style, so I'm more familiar with programming around it
-The blocky pixely look would be a common denominator between different people's art styles
-It doesn't take as much effort to cover the entire screen with art because the art is stretched farther (literally)

DOWNSIDES OF SCALING EVERYTHING UP 2X
-This style lends itself best to pixel art. Not everyone wants to make pixel art
-Might not be ideal if we happen to make a game based around rigidbody physics, such as a claw game
-People would have to draw their art half as big as it would be in the final product, which some may not have experience doing

If anyone has any opinions on this, please speak up. I can't decide!

Oh,and a quick comment on ANIMATION: I hope people make animated sprites for this. I can work with any format you choose to send me, be it a sprite sheet, or a gif, or just a bunch of separate images in a folder. (Though sprite sheets are my favorite.) Just thought I'd mention that now! I may make a more elaborate artist's guide later.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 10, 2020

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

since you mentioned bullet hell, i imagined i could make a scene in 3d for a boss fight or special stage, like when you go into "all range mode" in star fox and can fly freely around. then the majority of the game could be 2d gameplay with your scenes and the pixel art, and my scene could maybe house art from people who want to work in different styles. i'm imagining using billboard sprites like doom, so people could still make 2d art for the 3d gameplay.

If you could pull that off, it would be amazing!

posting smiling posted:

i like 2x scaling for easier asset creation/legibility on screen personally.

nut posted:

i say we make a big game

and i think i can make animated sprites, they will just be in photoshop but i'll use the pencil so it's blocky and pixelated
All right, 2x scaling it is. I'm happy with this decision. And nut brings up a good point; making pixel art is pretty easy, you just load up whatever drawing program, and select the "pencil" tool.

blaise rascal

Glad there's more interest!

They're gonna reveal the theme of the jam in a live video in 4.5 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9XizA89Ls

blaise rascal

barnold posted:

i am goig to make assets. do you need sound effects and music and stuff? i have lots of stuff i can send
Yes we will need that stuff. What kind of music do you like to make?

As far as music goes, if you all submit a lot of songs, perhaps we could implement an in-game jukebox, or even radio station

blaise rascal

:dogcited: :siren: :dogcited: :siren: :dogcited:

:dogcited: :siren: :dogcited: :siren: :dogcited:

blaise rascal

oh man. there are so many possibilities with this

blaise rascal

Some ideas:
-Android Blues suggested we make a Zybourne Clock game, since some of the original fiction referred to the Zybourne Clock as the Golden Egg.
-Based on nut's post earlier in the thread, we could do a gacha / pokemon game where you get eggs and you have to hatch them. That way all of us could contribute drawings for all kinds of different eggs and creatures.
-Eggs are easily breakable; maybe we use angry birds - style physics to implement a scene where you have to balance eggs without breaking them?

blaise rascal

barnold posted:

I can make all kinds of music, mostly I make electronic/ambient music but I can also write chiptuney stuff or do things with acoustic guitar. I also did a lot of synthesis in school and am prepared for all kinds of foley/SFX work!
Ah cool! I'll keep that in mind...

TheAardvark posted:

Imo something that involves lots of types of eggs with a template for people to do whatever they want would be a great way to get more people to contribute
I think you may be onto something here.

Some more ideas tossed around in discord:
-super egg bros
-egg the hedgehog
-egg: symphony of night
-mortal kombat but everyone's eggs so the fights are really short
-all 4 of the above ideas but packaged together into a warioware game
-a bullet hell where you have to avoid being hit, getting hit makes the egg crack open

Also, the game window will be 960x540, with everything blown up 2x, so your sprites have to fit into a 480x270 window. I hope to show off a demo of the dialog system tonight, so you all will see how it fits together...

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

"Hard Boiled"
The egg detective game

blaise rascal

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/dialog-demo

Okay here is a demo of the dialog system! Click the link to try it out! Those of you who want to write, hopefully this gives you a better idea of the possibilities for writing dialog (or descriptions or whatever). The dialog does not need to be triggered by clicking a button; I can make it trigger at the start of the game, or when you interact with something in the environment, or whatever. I can make it say different things if you interact with the same item more than once. I can also add a little box that says "Bob" or whoever is talking.

These are placeholder graphics and should be replaced! Here they are if you want to make them fancier. (If you do intend to do this, please post in the thread, so that multiple people don't try to do the same work)

blaise rascal

Your contribution is greatly appreciated!

Plant Monster created these awesome bits of concept art. Maybe... maybe there are eggs, and you breed them to get new eggs???

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

Plant Monster created these awesome bits of concept art. Maybe... maybe there are eggs, and you breed them to get new eggs???
I'm trying to figure out how to turn this into a game. It might be actually better to do like slime rancher, where you find eggs in the environment, and bring them back to your farm and they hatch into monsters which produce money. Hmm...

Here are a few comments from discord:

"i like the idea of an egg hatching from an egg
congratulations its egg
egg reveal party
offwhite smoke"

"what if you have to hatch things like a pack of marlboros and some middle-shelf whiskey to summon your dad"

"raw egg white overflows from the chimneys. a new egg has been chosen"

Also, here is a very long list of eggs by Plant Monster:
Octagonal Egg
Maddened Egg
Bloody Egg
Strange Egg
Mythical Egg
Mystical Egg
Bubble Egg
Bumpy Egg,
Chewy Egg,
Germinator Egg,
Bumble Bee Egg
Sweet Egg
Splash Egg
Mock Egg
Dusty Egg
Wild Egg
Frozen Egg
Pelagic Egg
Radar Egg
Chocolate Egg
Clammy Egg
Lady Egg
Enlarged Egg
Galaxian Egg
Acorn Egg
Marbled Egg
Vacuum Egg
Gummy Egg
Fairy Egg
Hard Boiled Egg
Old Fashioned Egg
Popping Rainbow Egg
Horned Egg
Knight Egg
Prismatic Egg
Rubber Egg
Machine Egg
Witch Egg
Stale Egg
Foamy Egg
Simple Egg
Novel Egg
Espresso Egg
Lawn Egg
Oval Egg
Shadow Egg
Nectonic Egg
Stormy Egg
Leafy Egg
Stinky Egg
Sloppy Egg
Cracked Egg

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

this makes me imagine a logistics game where you have egg varieties arriving on a conveyor belt and have four cartons to fill. you receive more points for more matches in egg type within the carton, so there is an element of gamesmanship in terms of deciding which eggs to commit to, and which to let pass by.

i forgot about checking the rules before i started working on this last night, so it might not be allowable, but here is the prototype of the 3d shmup i mentioned. i just changed the tower into an egg cup when i saw the theme. the idea is you destroy the power station, bringing down the shield, then the shell, and the ultimate objective to to collect the yolk inside

https://i.imgur.com/CYUMkrT.mp4
:stwoon: this shmup is so good

blaise rascal

blaise rascal

Okay so I'd like to pose a question to the group: Suppose we make an rpg for this game jam. What would such an rpg look like? What would the main character be?

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

i was just having a chicken coop game concept while i was on a walk, with a rts/clicker mechanic. your units are chickens and you can assign them to lay an egg, sit on an egg to make it hatch faster, or build more nests so you can have more eggs at once. and you just get as many chickens as you can.
I keep coming back to the idea of an enemy regularly showing up to attack your chickens & eggs, and you have to drive it back. It doesn’t have to be a tough enemy to defeat, but games like Insaniquarium and Gaiadi use this mechanic to good effect. What if the villain is Colonel Sanders trying to steal your chickens, and the game is called Colonel Panic?

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

I keep coming back to the idea of an enemy regularly showing up to attack your chickens & eggs, and you have to drive it back. It doesn’t have to be a tough enemy to defeat, but games like Insaniquarium and Gaiadi use this mechanic to good effect. What if the villain is Colonel Sanders trying to steal your chickens, and the game is called Colonel Panic?
Adding to this idea: You have an item called the "chick magnet" which you can use to manipulate the world around you. Suck in nearby chickens, blast them away from you, suck in eggs, blast them away, use corn to feed to your chickens, etc. Similar mechanics to the Slime Rancher gun-thing. Also you can use it to blast some type of ammo at Colonel Sanders when he attacks.
I also anticipate being able to place structures. Corn stalks produce corn, maybe there's a chicken clothing store which will put hats on chickens which makes them more productive, structures that automatically collect eggs, that automatically feed chickens, that attack the Colonel... The idea of exponentially building up your economy is a time-tested game mechanic.

Okay, I'm leaning toward this idea. I know it's tough to explain but it'll make more sense as we get into it.

I like the rpg idea too, but I think I'll put a nix on it because of lack of ideas being generated in this thread. But maybe byob will make an rpg in the future.

For now, though, I have a simple request from all of you: I'm gonna need a LOT of egg drawings. Details to come in a moment...

pseudorandom posted:

regarding mentions of a discord, is this serious overchill or a different BYOB discord? if the former, which channel is this happening in?
it's the unofficial byob discord! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765039#post509167370

blaise rascal

So, we're gonna need a lot of unique eggs. Here are the requirements:

Each egg should have a name
Each egg needs to have a cute / funny description, one or two sentences long.
Each egg should be roughly this size:

Note that your eggs do not have to be this shape! They can be circular, or anything your heart desires. The template image is 116x153, and an image you make should have a max size of about 150x180.

Example:

MYSTICAL EGG
Description: Contains the secrets of the cosmos.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 13, 2020

blaise rascal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Potential Egg merchant who can sell and buy eggs.

Charles D'Egg Introduction: https://voca.ro/1mJSZbIUZi44
Charles D'Egg New Eggs: https://voca.ro/1hsNWG8QU0Kf
Charles D'Egg Purchasing Egg: https://voca.ro/1up4LB56ctL6
Charles D'Egg No Buy Egg: https://voca.ro/1UBPZPM0CaPM
Charles D'Egg Compliment: https://voca.ro/1jBe4BUiAbEt

Feel free to use the character of Charles D'Egg and if you need more I will make more Charles D'Egg thank you.
This is amazing. I'll try to work Charles D'Egg into the game. Unfortunately, I think what we will need is not a egg salesman, but a chicken & other items salesman (and you pay for your items with eggs). Like, they may sell machines that automate parts of the farming process.

blaise rascal

posting smiling posted:

HEALTHY MINDEGG
Description: powerful, clean, and sexy, it hums with the song of infinite possibilities

DARK MINDEGG
Description: deeply warped and internally divided. carries unshakeable obsession with the void. avoid at all costs.
hell yeah these are great! also sk drew some very good ones which I will post when I remember.

By the way, all of these eggs will function identically in the game. They’ll be dropped at random, and whenever you pick up a new one, it will pop up the egg picture and the description of the egg.

pseudorandom posted:

I don't have anything specific in mind, but I want to ask this preemptively. If I wanted to add things that add to the size of the egg, like a hat, should the whole sprite be shrunk so it fits the vertical size of your example, or can the sprite be larger as long as the egg itself is the same as the example?

edit: or should we just stick to eggs without added components?
Good question! Hats are real good, and you can absolutely add a hat to that existing sprite to make it taller. I’d say that a hat should only increase the height of that template image by 27 pixels or so

In other words: the template image is 116x153, and an image you make should have a max of about 150x 180

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

DIGITAL EGG
Description: A mesh of vert-eggs-es, now in glorious 3D! Vulnerable to cracking and hacking.
This is indeed glorious! Thank you!

TheAardvark posted:

Going to try and get together some fun Basic Eggs tomorrow if work gives me a chance. :sweatdrop:

Thinking of which, can we decide on some egg rarity categories just to give people ideas?
You can come up with a rarity system if it helps you or other people! Though I probably won't have time to implement something like that in game. (I don't want to fall into the trap of promising too much then underdelivering!)

Heather Papps posted:

a chill friendly egg that just wants everyone to have a good time

i might try and make this less lovely but i kind of like how bad it is
This is just great, thanks!
Here is my progress today:

The player character can walk around, and different environmental objects are sorted based on their y-positions

blaise rascal

Horrible Butts posted:

I thought of an egg that's more intensive to implement, use if useable...

It's a Fabergé Puzzle Egg! Quite rare to find one in working condition.
An enticing clue is etched in the purple enamel: "EGG."

The first egg is how it looks when you find it, the second is the solution, the third is a blank one.
The idea is clicking an animal's face would change it to the next one (Ant, Bear, Cat, Dog, Elephant, Frog, Goat, then back to Ant)
If you line it up to Elephant, Goat, Goat... something good happens?
This is so cool! I'll try to work it in but may not have enough time (I'm really trying to be done by the 20th)

Horrible Butts posted:

Scream Egg
This mouthy little egg just screams and screams.

Softstone Egg
A well-worn egg. Perhaps it was part of a cobblestone road once, or a few bricks in a fine wall.

Discreet Bee Egg
A specialized bee egg for those with private bee egg needs. No questions asked.

MyEgg
Wow, remember MyEgg? If it was still around, I'd put you in my top dozen.

biosterous posted:

camo egg
you say there's an egg here? i don't see anything!? whatever, i'll take your word for it.

e: here's an egg template when the egg is transparent and the outside isn't, very handy for just slapping an egg shape onto an image

ee: like so! this took me about 30 seconds with the inverted template:

interstellar egg
this egg is an incredible visual spectacle! just don't think about it too hard.

(public domain pic of orion nebula for the background)

oh hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about!! Keep the eggs coming all!

blaise rascal

I want to tell you all to start making me a main character sprite, but I'm not sure yet what it should look like. I do know that it should be about 28x28 pixels.

The tasks of the main character are:
-Walking around
-Placing corn, chickens, and maybe structures
-Collecting eggs
-Shooting eggs at Colonel Sanders

It will have a square hitbox, so it should look pretty square. It could just be a little human I suppose. Or anything really.

e: I think that all the character art in the game will be side view.

blaise rascal

sk posted:

Retro Egg: This egg's style still attracts a lot of people, despite it being 40 years old.

Literal Egg: I mean, they're all eggs, but this one is...more of an egg?
kickass!! thanks for these

blaise rascal

uh something is happening??

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

Here's a flood of eggs that are all based on the same awful pun!

Eggcorn
Description: It's an egg made of corn!

Eggcorn
Description: Has a tough outer shell and a cap so it can survive a fall off an eggcorn tree.

Candeggcorn
Description: A sweet egg that usually appears in the fall months of the year.

Egghorn
Description: This egg is frequently poached for its ivory whites.

Eggmourn
Description: This egg is morning a loss. Please send your condolences.

Eggborn
Description: A beautiful new born egg!

Eggporn
Description: A great way to learn how a baby egg is made. Not suitable for anyone under the age of eggteen.
Very cool, thanks! I should have said that the eggs in the game will be gifted to the player in a random order, and there is no guarantee that the player will ever receive a given egg at all. So jokes that need to be sequential to make sense, won't make sense under this system; every egg should work on its own. Not saying you did anything wrong, and I'm happy to include these eggs, just thought I'd mention it.

blaise rascal

Though now I'm wondering; what if all these acorn pun eggs were dropped by a special tree in game? That way they'd all be tied together. Hmm...

blaise rascal

pseudorandom posted:

yeah, I think these may all work on their own. I wasn't intending them to be sequential, but this is how my train of thought worked last night once I started coming up with them.
Gotcha. Thanks so much for your great contribution!

sk posted:

blaise rascal, do you have a preference between all our eggs going in one basket post or :justpost:ing them as we go?

Crochet Egg: Soft boil for best results.
Great egg! Either way works for me.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Scotch Egg: If you put this egg to your ear, you can hear the music of tiny bagpipes from within.
excellent!

blaise rascal

Wow! So many great eggs so far. There are too many for me to quote.

Made some good progress today! Click here for a playable demo!

https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/colonel-panic-demo

You move around with WASD keys. Right now there are 2 chickens that wander around laying eggs of a random type. The first time you pick up an egg you see a closeup and the description; every time after that, you just see a short message. Let me know what you think! (But keep in mind that for now I plan to focus on new mechanics, not tweaking what's already there.)

What is next? Well, I'd like to add all the eggs everyone has made. And then there needs to be a counter of all your eggs. (Ideally there would be a tank containing everyone's eggs; I imagine it would look similar to how emoticons are dropped into a jar for twitch chat, or the end of a locoroco level.)

And then there needs to be things you can spend your eggs on!

blaise rascal

Plant MONSTER. posted:

chicken concept art do you like any of them?

i can make pixel sprite sheets like today and maybe wednesday?
Oh man they're all so good. The cigar-smoking one especially speaks to me. Thanks so much for offering to do this!

I don't really love the one shooting out the egg, since I imagine the chicken will simply drop off the egg wherever it is standing.

I'd say you could make the chicken about 28x28 pixels. Or you can make it taller than it is wide, or vice versa, if you feel like it. Just keep in mind that its hitbox will be some kind of rectangle, so don't make its shape too different from a rectangle. (no extraneous parts sticking far out or anything like that)

Just draw it facing one direction (left or right) and then I can simply flip its facing whenever it moves the other direction.

Once the standing still sprite is finished, it would be very cool if it had a walk cycle animation. (So if you drew it facing left, then draw a cycle of it walking to the left, and we can just flip the whole thing when it goes right.) Also we might need a version that's unhappy and green-tinged for when it's hungry. I'm happy to help out with any of this!

blaise rascal

Just uploaded a new version. Didn't change much, just added in a bunch of eggs people have made.
https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/colonel-panic-demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Just putting this here so I don't forget:

l'egg
angel egg
mineiro egg
flavor powder egg - This egg made of compressed cheese powder contains enough flavoring for 10,000 doritos
hard-boiled egg