Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

sure okay posted:

I visited once and vowed to never do so again. New York is a dying, groaning vessel barely able to stay ahead of its own rapid decay. The sheer logistics of replenishing daily resources like food, or the removal of trash, is remiscent of the clogged arteries of a corpulent sickly man.

I've visited twice and that is the bigger take I would agree with overall. The logistics are mind boggling.

I got to do the WTC about a year before 9/11, the Museum Of Modern Art, Central Park, a couple of bars and restaurants, Time Square, subways, etc. I enjoyed the visits. The culture and visiting a massive city were awesome to experience. Would not want to live there. I'm a forest/mountain person. The energy in NYC is intense, like everyone is just flooring the gas peddle of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Grew up in NYC, left, won’t look back. As others have said it’s a great place to visit but living there day-to-day is like one long, neverending panic attack.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I went to live Letterman tapings a bunch of times in early 2000’s. That was pretty cool.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Colonel Cancer posted:

New York is a dump, go to New New York

No, no New New York York is where its at. That's where you'll find Times Cube

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mozi posted:

yeah i guess new york is OK but it's no york

Lancaster for ever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I went to live Letterman tapings a bunch of times in early 2000’s. That was pretty cool.

Same but Conan in the late 90s. I used to get tickets all the time when I was like 15.

I was upset that I never got to be there when Pimpbot 5000 was.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My favourite NYC story is from Dave Hill, talking about how the city's changed.

http://risk-show.com/podcast/indecent/ (Skip to 29:00)

don't hold back on me motherfucker!

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Living in NJ and working in NY is pretty nice. I wake up, roll out of bed onto a bus, and walk a couple blocks to work (at least before the roni. I'm collecting for the time being). Then do the reverse coming home. And you get a little nap nap each way.

I lived in brooklyn for a little while and was the first white guy on the block, I felt like the Christopher Columbus of gentrification then moved across the hudson a year later when the rent was going up an obscene amount.

If you and/or your family take up an entire escalator at the bus station I will facefuck you in front of port authority police.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

New yorks alright...if you like saxophones

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

foonykins posted:

I lived in brooklyn for a little while and was the first white guy on the block, I felt like the Christopher Columbus of gentrification then moved across the hudson a year later when the rent was going up an obscene amount.

Telling people you lived in Brooklyn before it was gentrified while not being born in Brooklyn is like peak "poo poo New Yorkers Say".

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Been to NY, and LA.

NY smells more like piss but has p good cheap pizza on every corner.

LA is just full of conceited drunk assholes and isn't fun at all.

Go to NY if you have a choice in the matter.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Personally, I prefer Old York

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I’m walking ova here!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
am I right in thinking that every touchable surface in nyc is coated in a sepia film of human grease and secretions?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my thoughts and memories of new york:
- traffic is loud and annoying
- garbage trucks are loud in the morning
- smells bad
- hot dogs and pizza, yum
- musicals are fun as a kid
- penn station is not hell on earth for the sole reason that it is below the surface, so it's just hell i guess
- laguardia is friggin awful too
- i'm glad i'm not in new york right now

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone been to both New Orleans and New York and able to articulate the comparison of the overall permeating piss smells?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The last time I was in New York was 3 years ago, it was really fun and I ate a ton of good food. I also got scammed by those fake monks that walk around Central Park. I had no idea of the scam and gave the guy a dollar in exchange for some beads and a little holographic card thing, then he starts following my wife and I around asking for more money for a temple. I wised up at this point that something weird was going on, so we just kept wandering away until he gave up and found some other marks.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

in each city i visit i keep track of how long i can walk out of my hotel before someone offers me drugs. NYC currently holds second place with an impressive time of two and a half minutes. (first place, in case you were wondering, belongs to Phnom Penh where a tuktuk driver yelled "marijuana" at me while i was still actually in the hotel doorway.)

anyway i like bagels and pizza so new york is good as far as i am concerned

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone been to both New Orleans and New York and able to articulate the comparison of the overall permeating piss smells?

:wellpiss:

nola is just rancid piss smell everywhere you go. as a visitor you pretty much have to dull your senses with liquor just to tolerate. French q is cool though.

ny smells like an exhaust-scented candle and massive piss diffuser are fighting to consume the remaining air

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who has the worst, most corrupt police force, NY, LA, or Chicago?

cnut
May 3, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Who has the worst, most corrupt police force, NY, LA, or Chicago?

Sounds like one of them trick questions:thunk:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Vinny vinesauce is from Staten Island.
He is my go to source for everything new york.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I have been WFH since MARCH but I actually miss going to NYC and spending $400 a month of my commute from NJ. When else am I supposed to take a nap or have an excuse to look at Twitter for 2 straight hours??

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Serious question, was pre-roni NYC had a good job market that isn't techbroism or finance? I always entertained the idea of maybe living there for a year and my startup (lmao) can operate everywhere (quality management and environmental compliance) but people be like "if you don't make six figures, you struggle hard".

Edit: I live in Londonistan rn but a as a brown person I might not be able to work right away unless someone sponsors me.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQPHkvAfSQ

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Serious question, was pre-roni NYC had a good job market that isn't techbroism or finance? I always entertained the idea of maybe living there for a year and my startup (lmao) can operate everywhere (quality management and environmental compliance) but people be like "if you don't make six figures, you struggle hard".

Edit: I live in Londonistan rn but a as a brown person I might not be able to work right away unless someone sponsors me.

The real question is how many roommates are you comfortable living with. Rent will be your biggest expense. If you want to live alone on Manhattan, the 6 figures thing is true. If you are ok with an outer borough or taking on a few roommates, you can get by on less.

Right now the rents are in the toilet because so many people left due to covid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Everyone talks about how great New York pizza is but nobody ever talks about their peppermint patties.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Who What Now posted:

Everyone talks about how great New York pizza is but nobody ever talks about their peppermint patties.

That’s just York, not NEW York

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Moltke posted:

The real question is how many roommates are you comfortable living with. Rent will be your biggest expense. If you want to live alone on Manhattan, the 6 figures thing is true. If you are ok with an outer borough or taking on a few roommates, you can get by on less.

Right now the rents are in the toilet because so many people left due to covid.

Yeah, I can afford having a central London studio without too much of a strain but I can imagine I might need to live with at least one more person (more than 3 people in the same space might be too much).

I like London but the salaries/rates are atrociously low for equivalent jobs in States (but there is free healthcare so it balances out [citation needed])

Thanks, friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

That’s just York, not NEW York

That's what I'm saying, New York peppermint patties are just as good as York's!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

New York has terrible salsa from what I hear

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I want to know more about the wonders of the NYC subway system.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The food in NYC is very good, but there has beem an exodus of New York chefs in to places like Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. Obviously margins are already pretty slim in that biz so a brick and morter can be had relatively cheap in other cities.

Obviously when youre talking about upper echelon fine dining places like Eleven Madison and Daniel, NYC is the place. It also has very, VERY good delis.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Real Amethyst posted:

I want to know more about the wonders of the NYC subway system.

Well when you move to NYC you are suddenly imbued with the sacred knowledge of its complexities. You will be compelled to share this knowledge with your simpleton friends from outside NYC. They will typically be incapable of navigating public transit as it only exists in New York and nowhere else. Most midwesterners have never seen a map, and many of them are incapable of descending stairs.

Also people legit live down there its kinda sad.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Serious answer: as someone who was friends with a lot of potheads in NYC growing up, almost none of my friends got college degrees and every single one of them makes over 100k per year.

Sanitation workers, utility workers, electricians, plumbers, hvac technicians, even janitors. My friend's brother is a janitor in NYC and makes 110k per year. And has a traditional pension.

This obviously has to do with extremely favorable labor union laws in NYC but a few of the tech bros I knew growing up do even better.

A lot choose to live in NJ or Long Island because you can get a bigger house for cheaper (better for families) but most of my friends from high school are single (yes, single in their late 30s) and live in Manhattan or Brooklyn no problem.

I left New York mostly because I got an even better job opportunity in Vermont (stupid amounts of overtime) and I like being cold 24/7.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

Grew up in NYC, left, won’t look back. As others have said it’s a great place to visit but living there day-to-day is like one long, neverending panic attack.

so i guess this is the people not from nyc commenting about nyc thread, but there's a reason I never visit Manhattan, because it sucks rear end, Brooklyn and Queens supremacy, if you don't eat in the most diverse counties in America you're doing your trip wrong

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

New Orleans piss is cross pollinated with college kid puke, NYC has the mature, arified hint of condensed homeless shits

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Good, stay out! But spend some money on your way out.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Aye, dis rice is fawken farinaceous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
This except to Chicago from Mississippi. Otherwis is all the same poo poo.