Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hello, I am walking here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I spent most of my late teens and early 20's working on moving to nyc from a small town in the north of england and when I finally got there I was like 'oh man this kind of sucks' and left after a year and a half.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

NYC is a bit like swimming in an endless pool with a gentle current. No matter how much you pace yourself it will eventually pull you to the back and drown you unless you're paying for top-quality gear like oxygen tanks or a goddamn submersible.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Haramstufe Rot posted:

New York:

- Where do you buy things? There's no supermarkets.

There are two grocery stores within a half mile of where I live, as well as two produce shops. It owns.

quote:

- I do not believe that anyone actually wants or does live in Manhattan/Midtown. Seems like an absolute nightmare in every conceivable way.

I lived in Manhattan for about five years. That gas explosion in East Harlem happened on the block where I lived at the time! Anyway, my apartment was a spider-infested tenement, but I liked living in Manhattan because it was super easy and relatively quick to get anywhere.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

It feels like visiting a city on another planet. The people might as well be aliens. It is a constant bombardment of all senses at all times. The air is a thick soup of diesel exhaust, salt water, pizza, piss, poo poo, and vomit. There's trash everywhere. Driving is a near death crisis every time. People are jerks and there are too many of them.

It's quite intimidating when you're a kid, but visiting as an adult I had a great time. There's a lifetime of stuff to check out and the transit system is actually functional unlike 99% of American cities. I like to think I could probably live there if I had to for some reason but it's not high on my list.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Shageletic posted:

New York is bigger than Mid-town, or even Manhattan (which mostly blows)

They paid for me to be in Midtown so I was there. I had very limited time to go out, especially for longer trips.
I tried, but since I was there for the first time, I did want to do the touristic things as well.

For example, I did a river cruise thing, which is painfully touristic but it was nice and worth it.

Like, you can fault me for not spending my time in new hip coffee houses somewhere in New Jersey, but tbh if your hotel is next to Time Square, are you just going to refuse to go there even once?

The Baumann posted:

Corner stores mostly. There’s supermarkets in the areas people live in. You’ve got your Whole Foods and then the places normal people actually shop at.

COVID actually helped with the street life IMO. Every restaurant put up outdoor dining which got a lot more people on the street. It was kind of nice in the summer. Dead of winter not so much.

Subway is so hot cause they have air conditioning in the cars and vent the exhaust out onto the platforms. I can tell you it’s definitely not fun commuting to a places where you have to wear a suit in the summer.

Oh yeah that’s probably the one at the MET. Good museum but man I don’t think I’ve spent more than 10 minutes on the roof. Nice sunsets there though

Yeah I had to wear a suit and it was mid August. But some people seemed well adapted. It's just that I come from a colder climate so I was properly hosed.

It was the rooftop at the MET, you are right. I think if there's no people there it would be cool. But there was... let's say... an abundance of people there.

TontoCorazon posted:

For real, "I spent my whole vacation in a 15 mile radius in one island, trip sucked"

Recommend me places to go for my next trip.
I was in Long Island, Brooklyn (well Williamsburg I guess) and Manhattan.
In Manhattan I did most things you could call touristic, mostly walking around and taking in the scene (which is what I like to do in new cities).

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

The Baumann posted:

Controversial take: Jersey City isn't bad. It's for sure much better than Staten Island

JC is pretty cool. Rent is still reasonable in spots and theres good nightlife downtown. They hosed themselves with the 2 hour parking everywhere if you don't have a resident permit though.

Hoboken is loving terrible.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

NY thread? Ok, I'll take a sausage egg and cheese on a toasted egg everything bagel, salt pepper ketchup.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Ketchup on breakfast sandwiches is utterly foul, and I am totally fine with dying on this hill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ketchup on breakfast sandwiches is utterly foul, and I am totally fine with dying on this hill.

:same:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I lived in Seoul for a few years and I always wanted to see New York because I'd heard it compared to it a lot but never been. I'm guessing way more crime but random sewer stank and bad traffic are about the same.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Everything I hear about NYC makes it sound exactly like San Francisco but just, with 1.5x to 2x More buildings/piss/history/insert gripe or praise of us cities here

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Isn’t that where Saturday Night Live is made? Those guys are *cool* !

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really want to visit it sometimes, my idea was maybe after trumpo is gone but hey, Corona. Living in Berlin I feel well prepared to move around it as I love big cities and got used to piss smell years ago. Watch me get in completely over my head once I'm actually there.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
the best part of NYC?

Leaving.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, lived there until I was 29, now I live in Eastern PA for the last 4 years. I still work in Brooklyn, so I commute.

Even with the long commute, my quality of life has improved drastically. I have the high income of a job in NYC with cheaper expenses in PA.

Those who love NYC, especially now when everything costs an astronomical amount of money are just brain washed or try to convince themselves"NOW THIS IS LIVING!"

It is hell.

I still get the great food in NYC if I choose too. That's the only thing to miss about the city.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Some Guy From NY posted:

the best part of NYC?

Leaving.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, lived there until I was 29, now I live in Eastern PA for the last 4 years. I still work in Brooklyn, so I commute.

Even with the long commute, my quality of life has improved drastically. I have the high income of a job in NYC with cheaper expenses in PA.

Those who love NYC, especially now when everything costs an astronomical amount of money are just brain washed or try to convince themselves"NOW THIS IS LIVING!"

It is hell.

I still get the great food in NYC if I choose too. That's the only thing to miss about the city.

your state voted for Trump lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
my lord imagine going to PA and being like ahhh this is it fellas.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i love the type of guy from new york who is just a regular guy but feels special just because he is from new york and demands the very best of grape flavor white owls from the gas station.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bring me da fresh ones

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Some Guy From NY posted:

the best part of NYC?

Leaving.

It is hell.

Please change your username to Some Guy from Eastern PA.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

your state voted for Trump lol

Not in the 2020 election.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

garys oldman diary posted:

my lord imagine going to PA and being like ahhh this is it fellas.

Says the guy who has probably been to neither NYC or PA lol.

because if you think NYC is IT lmao.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
After living in NYC basically anywhere is “ahhh yeah, this is it!”

The relief of not being surrounded by noise and grime at all times is hard to describe. It’s like a low-level constant panic attack is finally over.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

NYC is a great city, but like all huge cities, it comes down the cost/benefit analysis based on where you are in life and what you want.

I’ve had a couple chances to get jobs their, but the cost of having to deal with NYC always seemed to outstrip the benefit of living there. Seems like of If you live in NJ or eastern PA you can enjoy the Broadway shows, arty places, nice restaurants, etc. just as often as New Yorkers do, but at a fraction of the cost.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
*pauses Taxi Driver, angrily shakes remote at TV* Y'see this, this is real New York! The way it oughtta be!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Some Guy From NY posted:

Says the guy who has probably been to neither NYC or PA lol.

because if you think NYC is IT lmao.

i lived in alphabet city for a third of my life and then newkirk plaza in BK for a few years and have family in strousbourg or stroudsburg whatever that town is called in PA. i pretty much an expert tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One thing that drove me nuts about NYC was having my 8 mile daily commute be an hour each way. That’s insane. Last year I had a 30 mile commute that took me ten minutes less.

It also cut down on doing poo poo I actually wanted to do in NYC. Like, the museums are nice but getting to upper Manhattan from bay ridge could be two hours each way easily.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One thing that drove me nuts about NYC was having my 8 mile daily commute be an hour each way. That’s insane. Last year I had a 30 mile commute that took me ten minutes less.

It also cut down on doing poo poo I actually wanted to do in NYC. Like, the museums are nice but getting to upper Manhattan from bay ridge could be two hours each way easily.

i feel this. its a US city thing methinks. it was like that when I visited LA fifteen years ago. As a east coaster it was more offensive to be stuck in the car like that though. idk why, you'd think its more comfortable in your own car but what can I tell you

EDIT: imo the best way to treat going out in city if its not in your local haunts is to make a whole day out of it with someone or someone(s) go out to the museum get drunk at brunch, go do something else, more drinks, meet up with people, drink some more, throw up or do some coke

god i miss it

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 15, 2021

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

The relief of not being surrounded by noise and grime at all times is hard to describe. It’s like a low-level constant panic attack is finally over.

yah that's why those people move to Westchester or Long Island, not loving PA lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hope I meet Chandler when I’m there :allears:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hope I meet Chandler when I’m there :allears:

I'm going to party with my friends Chapo Trap House and take improv classes at UCB (when the theater surely reopens)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I want to see all the places where they filmed Hackers.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I love how everyone talks about the theater as justification for living in the hell that is NYC. Like, how often were you actually going to the theater pre covid?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pawn 17 posted:

I love how everyone talks about the theater as justification for living in the hell that is NYC. Like, how often were you actually going to the theater pre covid?

As close to never as I can get away with and that’s not changing any time soon

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

This guy gets it.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

yah that's why those people move to Westchester or Long Island, not loving PA lmao

This guy doesn't lol.

People moving to Westchester or Long Island to get away from the high prices of nyc, lol yeah, 20-25 years ago. You're either way out of touch or don't know poo poo. NJ and PA is where many NYers are moving to, who still work in NYC. I'm not saying PA is paradise on earth, but compared to NYC, it's one step closer than New York will ever be.

Like the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. Except in this scenario, PA has actual grass, and NYC has broken glass, cigerette butts, and human feces.

Some Guy From NY fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2021

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

I'm instantly angry because I'm remembering my Bronx-to-Bronx commute that was ~6 miles but took 45 minutes every god drat day. I worked weekends and I was on-call too, so there were times I went in and out twice in one day, but the total commute time could be like 3 hours for 24 miles. Yeah, poo poo happens sometimes, but week after week, month after month, year after year, it broke my brain.

NYC's debts do not square. You pay so much but cannot live decently. Once I hit 30, paying $1500/mo for a crappy little studio seemed so insane.

Then I moved upstate and rented two floors of a detached house for <$1000.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i am walking here

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nyc needs to stop these carpetbaggers from taking our jobs.

You wanna live in PA? Build a barn :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I spent most of my late teens and early 20's working on moving to nyc from a small town in the north of england and when I finally got there I was like 'oh man this kind of sucks' and left after a year and a half.

The first year and a half kinda sucks in NYC, then you find your niche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shageletic posted:

The first year and a half kinda sucks in NYC, then you find your niche

Some people don’t really try and just sit around being lonely until they leave and spend the rest of their lives talking about how lame a city it is.