Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
All right here's my two hyper stupid RX7 builds.

I have a continuous problem that I have ignoring / fighting for the last few years and it really keeps me from driving.
I can't drive stick for very long anymore and when I do it's sloppy. My right leg is very stiff all the time. My right arm is the same but to a lesser degree and both have very little sensation.

That's the bad news, the good news is I am a retired aerospace and automation tech and occasional consultant so theoretically I could deal with all these problems and I've built a lot of cars over the years and spent a fair amount of time on the track.

So I sold my Corvette to a dispensary owner in a Walmart parking lot who paid me in a giant wad of pocket cash.

And I sold my beloved 7.3 6 speed f350 to my buddy.

It's a good home.

but I did end up buying a new Cummins to replace it so that's all cool and good.

That done, I still have this FD and the inability to smash 3 pedals.

So I did what any sane person would do and bought a k.

I can fit it right here but I'm really unhappy with the positioning, I'm going to do some trimming and see if I can get it as far back as I can and a bit lower.

After selling the LS3 Corvette and with the car before that being an ls6 350Z i am really ready for something zingy. rotaries are super cool and I'll do something with them again at some point im sure, but not right now.

Shop help

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
A couple months ago I spoke with my friends Alex and Karl (former SpaceX engineers and gear heads) and they got me hooked on dual-clutch transmissions. Those guys are insanely knowledgeable about absolutely everything and if they aren't immediately knowledgeable about it they know somebody to ask. In practically no time measurements were taken and all sorts of magic happened with lasers and long story short an adapter was made to mate up a m4 7 speed DCT to a k. Party.
It took me three attempts and more than a month to get this drat transmission. I have no idea why.

no shifter means I can put this thing wherever i want!

So this car has been sitting around pretty much forever. I opened up the fuel system and it had reverted to brontosaurus so that's all trash. Everything underneath is rusty rusty rusty and there was a mouse living in the dashboard.

of course the power steering rack in these things is made from the elbow of Buddha or something else completely irreplaceable and this one is absolute trash so I'm going to an S2000 rack

that means I get to figure out all of the nonsense for the variable feedback from the electronically controlled steering rack but on the scale of the rest of the stuff going on, it's not going to be that bad.

There's tons of room in this trans tunnel so I'm going to try and shove the engine in it as much as I can

if you don't like the fact that I'm posting random pictures of my dogs, I hate you and we aren't friends.

I bought a moroso oil pan that's too tall but I'm going to section it down so that it's not throwing sick F1 sparks every time (once) I hit a bump

and I bought a new mig on my friend stews recommendation and it rips.

I'm pretty much retired and I go at this like a job most days so it's been progressing pretty quickly even though you're going to see real fast how this entire thing is turning into a massive Tar-Baby.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I picked up some mounts from TF works for their s chassis swap kit but not much else from that kit will work for my application.

Not a bad piece though

Is this how you do it?

I am running an HTG stand-alone transmission controller. Everything can be adjusted.
With the transmission/engine communication blipdas and shift pre selecting and all that stuff is doable. There's a few base maps but I'm really looking forward to pushing to see what the trans can take.
Here's a few short vids for examples.
https://youtu.be/d5I380IQ7OM
https://youtu.be/qckN6c6M0Rw

We go up to Washington for the end of the summer every year to escape the Texas heat. It's beautiful But I did have to seriously downsize shop for a while.

I had to remove the hantavirus interior from the FD just to keep the smell under control. I'm pretty sad about it. All black and in ok shape

I did some transmission brain surgery.

Really it's a lobotomy.

Look at all those beeps and boops I need to control

I also bought a jdm k24 with the good head so that's getting cleaned up.

I have a lot of stuff in the wind a lot of stuff in the mail oh, stuff coming from other countries and parts being custom made by amazing Friends. I've been trying to stay at this everyday but my boneitis has been acting in up the last couple of days. More fun parts should start trickling in next week and then real movement can happen.

Dags? Yeah I like dogs. I like caravans more. I have some short video bits on the trans coming up

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My amazing friend Alex drew up some fasteners that until now had no reason to exist and is creating them. apparently crafting is way more difficult than video games led me to believe.

My legs feel super safe.

He also printed me an awesome transmission connector. Homie wipes the drool off my chin.
The rabbit hole is so deep here.

Parts finally came in. All sorts of goodies. Alex sent me some mounts for the trans that I was missing, a sweet transmission control unit Mount that his buddy made and some other goodies.

So I suited up and headed out to see if we measured correctly.

Does not work as a hula hoop, no matter how I tried.

It's a really nice piece of kit. I'm very happy with the quality.

Shop manager. This little two bay is absolutely packed full. I miss my shop but it's also 75 here instead of 105.

It went together pretty easily. there are a couple small changes that I would make on future versions but all in all I'm really happy. Some of the neato parts and the spline adapter are still to come in so there's still work to be done. I have some motor work that needs to be taken care of and actually clean the drat thing. Hopefully some of my other parts come in later this week or early next week so I can get this thing and it's home.

The easy part of this build is almost over.

God drat that is a big transmission.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I finished making the motor and transmission a home. so by the end of the week I should have the mounts done and the new front subframe in.

Home sweet home. The trans is tucked up in, the motor is tucked all the way in. I even got another inch further back with this subframe without interfering in the steering rack and I can still pull the last coil and plug without issue.

Just a little peek a boo window in the firewall. It will have to be a little larger when I finish it out, but not much. It could have been run without any sort of firewall modification other than a hammer if I was willing to get real weird with the rack placement.

I rebrained the DCT mechatronics unit which was super fun because the OEM board is ceramic and you have to chisel it out without destroying everything around it.

Before

After with some extra help from my father in law with that goo finger. (He thought I forgot to adhesive it down)

During this time frame I got pretty sick and was laid out for a month or so but some parts kept coming in so I kept working when I could. I did most of the motor install and clearancing and the transmission work with my non-dominant hand due to several week-long muscle cramp in my right arm.

This transmission input shaft adapter took a couple revisions but came out beautifully. EDM cut and shot preened. The aforementioned homiemade bolts to keep my legs on

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Spline adapter mounted up, don't mind those silver torx head bolts those are just temporary the new ones haven't come in yet.

The metal 3D printing is still magic to me.

This is the plug for the transmission. It came out wonderfully with a few clean up steps after print. We will also be printing the exhaust manifold in inconel here in a little bit.

About this time I decided that I didn't have enough going on so I bought another FD. That of course doesn't run.

Probably due to the fuel turning into stegosaurus.

But lucky for me, like most RX7 owners I have a pretty intense horde of spares.

(This isnt half of it, the attic is full too)

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
So since I have another rotary car I should probably start doing rotary things again so I grabbed one of my lunch boxed motors and tore it down so I could start building one of two or three spare motors. I like to lean on things pretty hard.

I filled it full of diesel to help the breakdown.

This was a cheapy eBay motor that came bad.

That's where she died.

into a tank of diesel to soak for a while and then I will throw it in the ultrasonic and see what saveable

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 10, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I mailed off a rear iron to get laser scanned, this adapter will be more difficult than to the k.

The single nut mounting of the flywheel will be challenging. May have to make a pressure plate style adapter.

during all this time I was rebuilding my shop after it was hit by a tornado last year.

It came out pretty good. I made a lot more workspace. We ended up replacing three and a half walls and half the roof. I did get the chance to move the man door away from the lift and add two more garage doors so that's nice. Outlets everywhere, 220 everywhere, air everywhere.

I'm currently enclosing the carport so that I have a dirty work area and I'm not spreading metal shavings all over my shop.

So that's where we're at. I'm pretty crippled so work comes in fits and starts and sometimes I'm out for a month or two, but I'm retired so I do this like a job when I can. I'd love to hear any feedback and I'd be glad to answer any questions.

The black car is 100% track. There is no license plate in its future. The silver car will go big turbo DCT and all sorts of fun bits and bobs. over the years I've collected a lot of weird parts and a bunch of really useless knowledge for anything other than stupid go fast car builds.

Also I forgot I have these really ugly expensive wheels that are famously not rotas. Probably put them on the silver car for now.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 10, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread. Wanna pet those doggos.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm curious why a dct and not something like a clutchless jericho for the black FD if its gonna be a track rat?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

This is the best thread. Wanna pet those doggos.

Well, the good news is they really want you to pet them as well.
Maggie is a Bernese mountain dog and permanently attached to my wife.

And Yogi (aka yogurt AKA dirt mcgirt) is an unruly poo poo show Newfoundland who goes everywhere I go and loves everybody she sees.

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm curious why a dct and not something like a clutchless jericho for the black FD if its gonna be a track rat?

I wanted to develop the technology. 5 millisecond shifts and the ability to put the shifter as a push pull paddle on the left hand side of the steering wheel is a big plus. the more stuff I make or have a hand in developing that has commercial applications for other people, the cheaper it is for me to get buckwild. The black car is going nuts on electronics after many years of shunning them. I am wiring up adjustable Bosch abs, traction and power management and full data logging. The ability to adjust the transmission shift speed and intensity is a big plus for me putting the power down. I messed with BMWs for a lot of years so I have a pretty good knowledge base to start with here. The silver car is a street car and also getting a DCT and hopefully by the time I have most of the kinks ironed out on the black car I will be able to have a fairly seamless install on the silver car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bird cooch posted:

I've got a Bernedoodle. The Berner in him is awesome, the poodle part sucks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A FD, some custom wizardy and a Bernese...I'm in for the long haul.

Here's our glorious idiot Finn

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

bird cooch posted:

And Yogi (aka yogurt AKA dirt mcgirt) is an unruly poo poo show Newfoundland who goes everywhere I go and loves everybody she sees.

I wanted to develop the technology. 5 millisecond shifts and the ability to put the shifter as a push pull paddle on the left hand side of the steering wheel is a big plus. the more stuff I make or have a hand in developing that has commercial applications for other people, the cheaper it is for me to get buckwild. The black car is going nuts on electronics after many years of shunning them. I am wiring up adjustable Bosch abs, traction and power management and full data logging. The ability to adjust the transmission shift speed and intensity is a big plus for me putting the power down. I messed with BMWs for a lot of years so I have a pretty good knowledge base to start with here. The silver car is a street car and also getting a DCT and hopefully by the time I have most of the kinks ironed out on the black car I will be able to have a fairly seamless install on the silver car.

poo poo, that makes sense and should work a fuckin' treat then. Fuckin' 5'd, followed, shared, subscribed, bookmarked and all that jazz.

Edit: Also bonus points for big ol dags too.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks y'all. Dogs are the best and are better than we deserve and everybody should always post dog pictures at all times. I really appreciate any sort of feedback. In these Rona times and as somebody who more or less doesn't have an immune system I'm pretty much stuck by myself in the shop with the dogs which isn't absolutely horrible but it would be great to interact with other human beings.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This thread owns and thank you for working to keep a clutch alive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Wrar posted:

This thread owns and thank you for working to keep a clutch alive.

I might need to put a DCT behind my 20b.....

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

I might need to put a DCT behind my 20b.....

I cannot remember if the rear iron is the same.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ground floor. I appreciate the pointer, dog, humor, and automotive insanity.

:Edit: \/\/ :lol: you've got our numbers

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 11, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Most important tool in the box

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bird cooch posted:

We will also be printing the exhaust manifold in inconel here in a little bit.

Holy poo poo, I can't even imagine how much this would cost to somebody not in the aero industry (that I assume has access to the material and tooling). :lol:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't even imagine how much this would cost to somebody not in the aero industry (that I assume has access to the material and tooling). :lol:

Here is an inconel exhaust manifold for my friends turbo V8 Volvo race car. That manifold was large enough that it had to come out in pieces and be welded together after post-processing.

Here is an intake manifold in aluminum that was done with the same process for the same motor.

That machine actually belongs to the owner of Tial.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This thread is loving amazing already.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Holy poo poo it was already pretty amazing in the first few posts but it just keeps going up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thread is great. I gotta get me one of those pointing fingers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bird cooch posted:

Here is an inconel exhaust manifold for my friends turbo V8 Volvo race car. That manifold was large enough that it had to come out in pieces and be welded together after post-processing.

Here is an intake manifold in aluminum that was done with the same process for the same motor.

Oh my, that's awesome stuff.
:justpost:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have some old(er) school turbo bits rolling around for the rotory car, but I think I'm going to get a little fancier. If it seems like it takes a long time for me to get stuff completed, just know that I rebuild and refinish everything I touch. So things sprawl pretty quickly..

I was lucky to have a new diaphragm for the wastegate in one of my boxes, but I had to make new gaskets. The center section was rebuilt, but I need to get it balanced. I don't have the gear to do that in-house. The wg will go in the tank the next time I anodize and I'll see if I can hit that hks purple. The body is cerakote.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus I think you've gotten more done in the first page of this thread than I have in the last 20 pages of mine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

bird cooch posted:

I cannot remember if the rear iron is the same.

Does not. Which begs the question, what’s the plan for the starter? Cut the tunnel?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

Does not. Which begs the question, what’s the plan for the starter? Cut the tunnel?

This is a great question and has taken a lot of head scratching so far.
Reposition an automatic starter and run a flexplate is the answer I have right now. The adapter flange will have to be quite a bit thicker for the rotary setup to carry the starter but the M4 transmission is so short that making a little bit of a bellhousing isn't a big deal. At least that's the plan from my caveman sketches and rough model goofing. Since I'm making my own Mount to carry that starter I can index it wherever I want.

It's hard to see in this blurry, dark photo from the other side of the tunnel, but there's a pretty good gap at about the 4:00 position on the passenger side. Might make exhaust routing interesting, but thats small potatoes

The solenoid will have to be remote mounted or re-indexed, aside from that it's really low profile and reversed.

If need be there are a ton of tiny high tq starters out there and a mount can be fabricated. It took us about 3 months to go from deciding to put the **m4 trans behind the k to bolting it up, but that was a lot more simple than this.

**I refer to the trans as an m4 trans. The truth of the matter is that the modern M4 m3 and m2 all use the same transmission. However the V8 m3 DCT from the older car has a different bolt pattern and a slightly longer ratio and the m5 DCT has a different bolt pattern but the exact same internals. So the shorthand for the transmission are the M4 transmission for the current gen the m3 transmission for the V8 transmission and the m5 transmission for you know, the m5 transmission.

kastein posted:

Jesus I think you've gotten more done in the first page of this thread than I have in the last 20 pages of mine.
Well, this is catching up on the last 4 months, so it's kinda cheating. Also, I had to suddenly retire from a high tempo high stress career. If I don't do something every day I feel like an immense failure.

I either do this for my mental health or as a sign of intense mental issues. Flip a coin, I don't want to know.

Some days I just go fishing though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
holy poo poo, my dude

fived and subscribed. the level at which you work is beyond what i can imagine a mere mortal being capable of

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bird cooch posted:

Holy crap that's some cool stuff

bird cooch posted:

If need be there are a ton of tiny high tq starters out there and a mount can be fabricated. It took us about 3 months to go from deciding to put the **m4 trans behind the k to bolting it up, but that was a lot more simple than this.
I can NOT recommend a small 'race' starter. We burned through at least one a weekend on our endurance car, one weekend we killed four. They might hold up ok in a track day environment where the heat soak isn't as bad but make sure you carry spares and they're easy to replace if you go that route. I'll see if I can find the brand/model we used, think we tried a few.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Some verra nice parts porn up in here. 5'd

bird cooch posted:

Most important tool in the box

LOL.

bird cooch posted:

I have some old(er) school turbo bits rolling around for the rotory car, but I think I'm going to get a little fancier. If it seems like it takes a long time for me to get stuff completed, just know that I rebuild and refinish everything I touch. So things sprawl pretty quickly..

I am very familiar with this concept. My stuff is a whole lot more low dollar than yours, but I can *not* put a dirty rusty part back on a car.

Not trying to doxx you, but Texas + 2019 tornado says that you're not far from DFW. I only mention this, because I'm in DFW myself. Howdy, neighbor!
There are several AI goons here-ish, though I've only met STR, myself, and he's since moved his poo poo to Austin.

edit: I look forward to the time I can retire and work on all the projects I've been slowly ignoring working on for years...

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I can NOT recommend a small 'race' starter. We burned through at least one a weekend on our endurance car, one weekend we killed four. They might hold up ok in a track day environment where the heat soak isn't as bad but make sure you carry spares and they're easy to replace if you go that route. I'll see if I can find the brand/model we used, think we tried a few.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure this is going into be an enormous pain in the rear end.

I have the car pulled apart again to measure and tidy before I close up the firewall

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run the skunk2 variable plenum intake manifold because it's reversible and I like the design a lot better than the aftermarket forward k intake manifolds and I really don't want to make my own. This car is air to water so that should be fun to locate.

I'm working with the link ecus for the first time, so that should be an experience.

I had to go up into the attic to look for a box of connectors and I really need to sell some of this stuff so I can spend more on these projects. Anybody need a custom set of work vsXX built for c6 corvette? Zo6 brakes and magnesium subframes? Full crash kit? I hate selling things.

I also have this 2.3l intercooled LS3 Magnuson supercharger I need to offload at some point.

It actually came off Andy's car when he went to LS7.

I've been keeping it around in case I find a car that needs an LS but I'm kind of just bored with the motor at this point.

Darchangel posted:

Not trying to doxx you, but Texas + 2019 tornado says that you're not far from DFW. I only mention this, because I'm in DFW myself. Howdy, neighbor!
There are several AI goons here-ish, though I've only met STR, myself, and he's since moved his poo poo to Austin.
edit: I look forward to the time I can retire and work on all the projects I've been slowly ignoring working on for years...

Oh I'm not concerned with that . I'm active enough online that anybody looking through my stuff can find out where I'm at pretty quick. I'm up in Denton. we had an F1 literally touchdown in my yard while I was mowing and hit my shop and then bounce off through some neighboring fields and dissipate. funnily enough I had been out storm chasing for a few weeks before that and the one I finally got to see was too close for me to even make it out other than being a giant wall of dirt and my roof.

Rona is a thing so that's kind of an issue but generally I'm always down to hang out and do car stuff with whoever and help out on broken stuff and projects.

This all seems super scatterbrained because it is I am effectively weaponized ADD. Im also digging a post hole haha.

(Is there a way to imbed youtube videos?)

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 11, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know how active you are the 7 community - but Neal Adderly has a DCT swap kit in the works. You might reach out - he's super nice and it's taken ages to get interest in doing it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

I don't know how active you are the 7 community - but Neal Adderly has a DCT swap kit in the works. You might reach out - he's super nice and it's taken ages to get interest in doing it.

I've actually talk to Neal quite a bit. He is also struggling with some of the component placement and recently had his rear iron laser scanned but seems to have stalled out a little bit. The packaging is really difficult.

I'm all about open source stuff I don't do this for a living I don't do this for money. Other people can deal with all that it's too much stress for me.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Awesome. Your build reminds me of this fellow in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxme5hnWyw&t=637s

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This thread has it all, holy poo poo.

I'd LOVE to have some of the connections you have.

bird cooch posted:

My amazing friend Alex drew up some fasteners that until now had no reason to exist and is creating them. apparently crafting is way more difficult than video games led me to believe.

Impressive work with the socket cap there, is the t55 cut with a rotary broach?

Of all the amazing fab and machining already in this thread, this little detail caught my eye because nobody else has mentioned it yet, it's a slow day at work, and if someone looks over my shoulder, this is the kind of thing I research around here all the time. So I took a dig around to see if there was an off the shelf, or easily modifiable off the shelf solution. Especially so if you're looking to put these kits on the market.

Here's what I came up with- if you can live with an eTorx screw instead of a socket, BMW kind of already uses and makes (well, has someone make) the screw you're looking for. I don't have a great sense if the flange is too large to pack them all in there, but it's gotta be far easier to turn the flanges down than it is to make an entirely bespoke socket cap screw. Especially at $3 a piece. Here's the first link I found that sent me down this path when I searched for "BMW m12x1/0 screw". I had a feeling I had seen some kind of 10.9 grade fastener like this on my e61, and well, I was wrong about that, but I did find a possible existing one. So yay.

Different websites and different photographers, but I believe these have the same part number.

Part number 13527800395. RealOEM says it's timing chain sprocket retainer used in the *20d models available across the pond [and here too?]. Ok. Sure.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

Awesome. Your build reminds me of this fellow in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxme5hnWyw&t=637s

That guy is a ton of fun to watch he is an amazing junkyard mechanic. his make do attitude is really cool and his ability to just kind of crap stuff together is amazing. His front subframe and steering rack mount is exciting and his first couple attempts at cobble together adapters definitely made me fear for his legs. I also talked to him quite a bit he's a fun guy.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

glyph posted:

This thread has it all, holy poo poo.

I'd LOVE to have some of the connections you have.

Impressive work with the socket cap there, is the t55 cut with a rotary broach?

Of all the amazing fab and machining already in this thread, this little detail caught my eye because nobody else has mentioned it yet, it's a slow day at work, and if someone looks over my shoulder, this is the kind of thing I research around here all the time. So I took a dig around to see if there was an off the shelf, or easily modifiable off the shelf solution. Especially so if you're looking to put these kits on the market.

Here's what I came up with- if you can live with an eTorx screw instead of a socket, BMW kind of already uses and makes (well, has someone make) the screw you're looking for. I don't have a great sense if the flange is too large to pack them all in there, but it's gotta be far easier to turn the flanges down than it is to make an entirely bespoke socket cap screw. Especially at $3 a piece. Here's the first link I found that sent me down this path when I searched for "BMW m12x1/0 screw". I had a feeling I had seen some kind of 10.9 grade fastener like this on my e61, and well, I was wrong about that, but I did find a possible existing one. So yay.

Different websites and different photographers, but I believe these have the same part number.

Part number 13527800395. RealOEM says it's timing chain sprocket retainer used in the *20d models available across the pond [and here too?]. Ok. Sure.

it's amazing that you pointed this out it actually took me forever to find that bolt but due to the clearances on the backside of the flywheel we weren't able to use any sort of flanged bolt. Alex made a run of bolts for domiworks engineering in Sweden who arrange the final manufacturing and actually sells these kids now. Daniel is a great dude he's actually a safety engineer for Volvo as a day job.

It is a rotary broached t55 and it took a ton of work for them to be made. the adapter could have been simplified a lot but I wanted it to be in two pieces in case there was a transmission or differential failure I wanted the part that breaks to not be the part that holds the flywheel on. So a fairly simple part became a very complex part. most of the adapters for other swaps are one piece.

I am lucky to have some amazing friends who are total instigators and enablers pushing me to make even weirder and crazier cars. Birds of a feather and all that.