Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bird cooch posted:

Oh I'm not concerned with that . I'm active enough online that anybody looking through my stuff can find out where I'm at pretty quick. I'm up in Denton. we had an F1 literally touchdown in my yard while I was mowing and hit my shop and then bounce off through some neighboring fields and dissipate. funnily enough I had been out storm chasing for a few weeks before that and the one I finally got to see was too close for me to even make it out other than being a giant wall of dirt and my roof.

O.o Good Lord. I'd like to see a tornado once, but certainly not that close.

quote:

Rona is a thing so that's kind of an issue but generally I'm always down to hang out and do car stuff with whoever and help out on broken stuff and projects.

Sweet! Hopefully I'll be able to drool over the projects at some point.

quote:

This all seems super scatterbrained because it is I am effectively weaponized ADD. Im also digging a post hole haha.

(Is there a way to imbed youtube videos?)

Yeah, you just past in the URL - the forum automagically parses it into an embedded video.

bird cooch posted:

I am lucky to have some amazing friends who are total instigators and enablers pushing me to make even weirder and crazier cars. Birds of a feather and all that.

Best kind of friends, at least after "friends who buy you booze."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

bird cooch posted:

it's amazing that you pointed this out it actually took me forever to find that bolt but due to the clearances on the backside of the flywheel we weren't able to use any sort of flanged bolt.

Without beating a dead horse here, my thinking was to buy the BMW screws and send them out to someone (like the new guy) to do the second op of turning down the flange to the diameter of the eTorx head on the already hardened and to spec fastener. I saw the turning center in your pic there, and, well, that seemed a lot easier than roughing, threading and broaching each one out of bar stock.

The final adapter is beautiful. I haven't done anything with EDM, but holey moley, just thinking about having that capability makes my head spin. Super cool thread.

bird cooch posted:

I am lucky to have some amazing friends who are total instigators and enablers pushing me to make even weirder and crazier cars. Birds of a feather and all that.

Couldn't agree more.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

glyph posted:

Without beating a dead horse here, my thinking was to buy the BMW screws and send them out to someone (like the new guy) to do the second op of turning down the flange to the diameter of the eTorx head on the already hardened and to spec fastener. I saw the turning center in your pic there, and, well, that seemed a lot easier than roughing, threading and broaching each one out of bar stock.

The final adapter is beautiful. I haven't done anything with EDM, but holey moley, just thinking about having that capability makes my head spin. Super cool thread.

Couldn't agree more.

You very well may be right. It would be a lot easier to chuck up in the lathe and just turn down the shoulders a little bit. I can't remember if there was a solid reason why we didn't do that.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 11, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is real neato. I really like your photos and your writing, and especially the photos of your berner. It is interesting to hear about people swapping the BMW DCT into other cars but I am certainly in favor of it. I specifically chose the DCT for My E90 M3 and four years later I am really happy with my choice.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

bird cooch posted:

You very well may be right. It would be a lot easier to check up in my lathe than just turn down the shoulders a little bit. I can't remember if there was a solid reason why we didn't do that.

Ah, got it. You'd found those. I should have figured I wasn't charting new territory and had found something that you weren't aware of.

If you can't remember why, that's totally fine, but this kind of thing fascinates me- why the m12x1.0 super fine oddball thread on a part you were also cutting the female threads on? Clamping strength?

/derail.

Please keep the beauty pics of machined and fabricated doodads coming.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 11, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

glyph posted:

Ah, got it. You'd found those. I should have figured I wasn't charting new territory and had found something that you weren't aware of.

If you can't remember why, that's totally fine, but this kind of thing fascinates me- why the m12x1.0 super fine oddball thread on a part you were also cutting the female threads on? Clamping strength?

/derail.

Please keep the beauty pics of machined and fabricated doodads coming.

I don't mind the minutia, I actually find that part fun.
The superfine threads are for the K20 and k24 crank. Those are the flywheel bolts.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is real neato. I really like your photos and your writing, and especially the photos of your berner. It is interesting to hear about people swapping the BMW DCT into other cars but I am certainly in favor of it. I specifically chose the DCT for My E90 M3 and four years later I am really happy with my choice.

DCT is the future. Especially with integration into modern traction control and shift speeds and ramp in ramp out for clamp down forces it's hard to argue with. We will see how well I am able to handle the integration. These cars have a lot of moving parts.

She's a babe.

Goof troop is the real comic relief around here.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 12, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's your plan for the rear end in each build?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
If I can get time away this weekend I'm going to weld in the fixtures for an 8.8 in the k car.

As much for gear selection as for durability. The rotary car will stay stock rear end if I can make an ideal Street ratio workout in that diff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good, I don't think a stock rear end will last.
For the street car, a 2 way + brace/cradle seems to be the wining combo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Can vouch for 8.8s standing up to stupid poo poo.

though mine isn't suffering from too much power put through it...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The stuff you are doing here is way out of my league but I very much enjoy reading about it! Keep it up and i look forward to seeing more! :)

the spyder posted:

Awesome. Your build reminds me of this fellow in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxme5hnWyw&t=637s

I also just found this guy on youtube the other day as he is one of the few places in the UK that advertise that they work with speeduino ECU's. I need to work through more of his videos!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 12, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm curious what one-off rotary broaching and EDM spline cutting like that costs, as I may need several similar parts done in the near future for a gearbox project I'm working on.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Tomarse posted:

The stuff you are doing here is way out of my league but I very much enjoy reading about it! Keep it up and i look forward to seeing more! :)

You too can jump in over your head on ever escalating builds over and over! It just takes dedication and a lack of common sense and financial maturity!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

bird cooch posted:

You too can jump in over your head on ever escalating builds over and over! It just takes dedication and a lack of common sense and financial maturity!

I've got 2 project threads on the go too so I am well into the entirety of this statement! :lol:

I can only dream of achieving anything like your custom iconel and lathe related works on my projects.

I'm just bolting various parts together (and welding them) whereas you're actually making the parts yourself before you bolt them together using your own custom fasteners.....

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 12, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

I'm curious what one-off rotary broaching and EDM spline cutting like that costs, as I may need several similar parts done in the near future for a gearbox project I'm working on.

So all this stuff was done in batches. The bolts were literally produced by a friend on borrowed machines so the price was beer. He's a mech engineer and wanted to learn how to do it. The quote I got for a run of bolts was really high. Like 20-50$ per with a minimum run of 100. I have had great luck in the past walking into industrial repair machine shops and getting stuff done for beer. Those guys tool up for weird jobs a half dozen times a day. It cost 3-4k in tooling just to make those bolts with free machine access. Special thread micrometers, the very fine thread roller was pretty expensive and the rotary brooch itself. Plus incidentals.

I honestly don't know what the EDM costs per run, I generally get that stuff done as part of a package for development of the part. Sometimes that stuff is for free work sometimes that stuff is for a percentage of sales coming forward or a set number of unit sales. Even at that point I usually just trade that in for more work.

I'll ask though, give me some rough specifications so I can get you a decent quote.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bookmarked! K24 dct rx7 sounds absolutely awesome.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well this is neat; even if the project goals aren't my thing, I can't help but like anything with fab and new designed metal parts. Bonus points for rotary broaching.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The other FD is rotary and staying that way. I'm gathering parts to stack a couple motors I just need to do some handicap accessible modifications. Other than that I'm going to throw a all of those fancy little dumb parts I've been hoarding and a few things I picked up in Japan and stuff like that at that car.

And just about wrapped up the shop last night.

I need to pop the engine off the transmission and get that ready to machine for a couple dowels this evening. So that should be a good time

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Looking good. Wish I had painted our shop before moving so much junk in. That and putting sheet metal on the ceiling for better lighting.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

Looking good. Wish I had painted our shop before moving so much junk in. That and putting sheet metal on the ceiling for better lighting.

I'm going to do the foam board insulation for the ceiling well, as the ceiling . It's got aluminum on the backside so that should really help with lighting. Also I want to note I'm a huge fan of your thread that stuff is a bunch of fun and looks amazing.

We essentially got to do over. After all of the work it feels like the tornado did us a solid.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bird cooch posted:

So all this stuff was done in batches. The bolts were literally produced by a friend on borrowed machines so the price was beer. He's a mech engineer and wanted to learn how to do it. The quote I got for a run of bolts was really high. Like 20-50$ per with a minimum run of 100. I have had great luck in the past walking into industrial repair machine shops and getting stuff done for beer. Those guys tool up for weird jobs a half dozen times a day. It cost 3-4k in tooling just to make those bolts with free machine access. Special thread micrometers, the very fine thread roller was pretty expensive and the rotary brooch itself. Plus incidentals.

I honestly don't know what the EDM costs per run, I generally get that stuff done as part of a package for development of the part. Sometimes that stuff is for free work sometimes that stuff is for a percentage of sales coming forward or a set number of unit sales. Even at that point I usually just trade that in for more work.

I'll ask though, give me some rough specifications so I can get you a decent quote.

Ahhh, didn't realize you were horse trading for this kind of work. I'll let you know once the parts arrive and I can measure the splines, I don't have any solid info to provide for a quote at the moment. If they're too busy feel free to just drop it, I don't wanna waste anyone's time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My dad did pegboard on the wall of his storage building that weren't covered by racking. Fantastic idea. You can even still screw stuff to it either using the spaces between, or the screw-in drywall anchors.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Ahhh, didn't realize you were horse trading for this kind of work. I'll let you know once the parts arrive and I can measure the splines, I don't have any solid info to provide for a quote at the moment. If they're too busy feel free to just drop it, I don't wanna waste anyone's time.

It's no big deal. I know the guy who does the EDM I just haven't had to pay the direct price yet if that makes any sense. let me know when you're ready and I'll drop you an email to give me your dimensions and we can at least get an idea. I'm glad to help anybody who's doing weird crap. I love the weird stuff.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

I tossed the motor back in so I can finalize some mounts tomorrow. Back on party time. Also having a Gantry is pretty amazing.

This is going to be a lot easier to do not on the ground.

(Don't mind that oil pan this is just a mock-up motor)

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 16, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What kind of insulation are you planning to put in? I'm facing a similar issue, want to make sure I'm not missing a product I could use. I haven't found any form board product that was appropriate for direct, uncovered install in an environment that is likely to see flying sparks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Also having a Gantry is pretty amazing.

Two things on my list for “immediately after I have a shop” are 1) a lift, and 2) a gantry crane. So very tired of dealing with traditional cherry pickers and their lack of reach.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Even better: get a forklift.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just build an Appalachian-American ginpole crane for your truck, easy

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Two things on my list for “immediately after I have a shop” are 1) a lift, and 2) a gantry crane. So very tired of dealing with traditional cherry pickers and their lack of reach.

If I were to do it all over again I would install a shop gantry. This weekend or next week I'm going to bolt some angle iron down to the floor so that the wheels track on the lift. you have to spend a lot of time walking around to each side scooting it when you're putting stuff in instead of just grabbing it with one hand.

It is a lot nicer than having to do it on the ground.

sharkytm posted:

Even better: get a forklift.

This is the right answer

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Man forklifts with off-road tires are $$$$.

Gantry's are cheap.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bird cooch posted:

Also having a Gantry is pretty amazing.

I bought a used light duty (<1500lb) one recently mostly for getting the formula ford on and off the work table without killing myself using a cherry picker. I had no idea how much I would use it for other stuff. Storing it in a non-shop is kind of a pain and I need to figure out a better solution than I currently have.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I know less than zero about this stuff. Are those I beam chain hoists expensive? A little impractical I guess if you're trying to move something in more than one dimension.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ought ten posted:

I know less than zero about this stuff. Are those I beam chain hoists expensive? A little impractical I guess if you're trying to move something in more than one dimension.

The gantry crane itself is about $700 from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188.html

Then you need a hoist or chain fall for around $75: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-chain-hoist-631.html

You’ll notice that the gantry has wheels, and that the attachment point for the hoist rolls along the beam, so you can move things around.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I got my Gantry from northern tool for like 400 bucks and then I spent another three or four hundred dollars on the jet roller and the jet one ton chainfall.

But I am going to upgrade to an electric winch on the roller here pretty soon because sometimes the chains are just in my way. But for Fab on the lift it is absolutely amazing I can move the entire motor with one hand and it stays at exactly that height forever instead of having to worry about having a hydraulic cylinder holding it up.

having it on wheels is great I still need to build a rail system on the floor so that it goes forward and backwards in relation to the lift easy instead of castering. There's no worry about reach for an engine hoist and all of that stuff and the ability to roll it around the shop and pick up transmissions and engines and stuff like that is great.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Neat. I’m guessing at some point overhead hoists can support loads that freestanding gantries can’t? I mean I’m aware that like shipyards have massive gantries but in terms of hone shop practical equipment.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I can just about lift my cars with this one, but if I had it to do all over again I would have done a building gantry, but I don't have room to clear the top of the lift.

We had enormous Gantry cranes when I worked at Boeing that could lift entire airplanes and move them around the building. And had another job working automation at electro impact we had huge ones that we used to move heavy machinery and composite laying robots in each building. They are really trick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Built in overhead beam trolleys with a chain hoist are neat, but require a lot of pre planning with the structure if you want them to have really useful lift capacity, and are limited in that you have to get the work right under the beam. The trolley crane systems that combine a beam trolley that can also move laterally are $$$$$ to $$$$$$+.

Really those roll around gantry cranes are the best bang for the buck if you can deal with the limited height, and have room to store it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Built in overhead beam trolleys with a chain hoist are neat, but require a lot of pre planning with the structure if you want them to have really useful lift capacity, and are limited in that you have to get the work right under the beam. The trolley crane systems that combine a beam trolley that can also move laterally are $$$$$ to $$$$$$+.

Really those roll around gantry cranes are the best bang for the buck if you can deal with the limited height, and have room to store it.

It’s not that bad. Think of a trolley crane in a garage or small shop like a pair of gantry cranes connected by a beam. Neither needs to be powered in that environment, so you just need 3 beams, and four posts, plus the trollies, which will probably be the expensive part. It can be retrofitted, if you have space.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I hit a snag that I normally don't have an issue with. I am unable to buy tooling right now.

Like a lot of folks I made do with cheaper tools for a long time and when it comes to grinders and cutters and all of that sort of stuff. when the shop was damaged a lot of that gear was damaged or exposed to the elements for a brief amount of time. I'm sure we all know that even if you clean it up electrical stuff generally has a shortened lifespan after that.

My belt grinder died. Okay not a big deal I've had it for 20 years I'll just buy a new one... But you can't find them. you can find the little bitty teeny tiny ones or the harbor freight junk but I guess there's a knife making show or something that's getting people to buy up all of the metalworking equipment? I'm not 100% on exactly what's going on.

So I have spent the last week on some sort of horrible scavenger hunt. Or a quest. a quest that sounds even better.

instead of orcs and goblins and trolls I am doing battle with old guys who "know what they have" and resellers with 100% markups for used industrial equipment that's older than I am.

I've got a list of stuff that would just be nice to have in my home shop so that I don't have to farm out easy machining or spend a ton of time cutting things down by hand when throwing it on the Bridgeport will do the job.

Here's an example.

*The party enters the Craigslist/facebook marketplace pit of despair*

I went to go look at a supposedly Nice condition knee Mill. It is actually in Nice condition surprisingly.

(My dad giving me side eye while I pretend I don't know that the seller is wrong about how easy it's going to be to hook up)

it looks like somebody bought a brand new Mill 15 years ago and put it in his garage and never used it
It's got good vices and a turn fixture and all sorts of neat stuff but the asking price has been pulled out of thin air so he's going to have to accept a lower offer..... but it's an old man so I have to play a game.

we're both going to spend the next two weeks pretending that after not touching it for 15 years he's going to hook up power to it for a test.
he also had a pretty nice lathe that he had accidentally knocked over with his forklift (and cracked the bed) that has been sitting there for the same amount of time with the same amount of setup untouched.

This is a fairly cheap Taiwanese manufactured Mill. You can buy them brand new from Atrump without the power feeds or vices fixturing etc for 8k. That's really cheap.

Same story over and over. It's a grind, it's the holidays. it's the Rona. It's really frustrating. Also my intake manifold and some of my plumbing is hung up shipping somewhere in Narnia because it's the holidays and the rona blah blah blah. Losing inertia is the worst.

https://youtu.be/qfNmyxV2Ncw

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

All I can guess is the popularity of flipping shows / pawn stars etc. Just a constant stream of "best I can do is $7" followed by "it's a genuine pollock we sold for millions" just breaking everyone.

Nobody wants to feel like a sucker to the point they'd rather not sell it I think.

Dude doesn't even have the mill he bought years ago under power in his own place?