Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If the guy doesn't want to sell the trump mill, then just say piss on it, and buy something else.

Also, that intake manifold looks like the Hindenburg.

E: love the doggie pics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, reality tv has blead into real life. It's super frustrating.

Updates!!!

I've been living my life in this little bubble the last few days measuring and drawing mounts up. I usually do stuff out of billet but learning press bent steel has been interesting. These are off to be cut tomorrow.

This is the driver's side mount less doublers and braces. I'll do another version in billet later for baller points.

If you ever need to get the zinc off a part for welding, vinegar does a pretty good job overnight.

I went over to my buddy stews to pick up some swag (support your friends businesses)

And snag a bead roller and some dimple dies.

Stew has all the cool wheels for sure.

The new regas are rad af. I need to buy some cool wheels for inspiration

(That's a k24 dct skyline track car, he was the first person to buy a kit)

If you have a skyline or need some beautiful TI Fab hit him up. Or just buy his rad goofy merch cause he's a super cool dude.
https://instagram.com/stewartleask?igshid=12whlscsg97lg

https://leaskspec.bigcartel.com/
We are going to do some ti bracing and exhaust later on.

Also here is yogi my shop/truck dog not giving a heck about my daughter with an angle grinder cutting pavers to finish off my wife's xmas present.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 30, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bird cooch posted:

If you ever need to get the zinc off a part for welding, vinegar does a pretty good job overnight.

You probably already know this, but if you need to do it faster, you can also hook that all up to power and use the washers to plate something else. What you're doing there is basically creating a zinc plating solution!

quote:

Stew has all the cool wheels for sure.

The TE37s are always a winner, but I *really* like whatever those are on the car. I'm a sucker for deep dish (when do-able.)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So much is happening. Now I want to save for a DCT conversion for my FD, thanks JERK.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So much is happening. Now I want to save for a DCT conversion for my FD, thanks JERK.

Well, the issue there is the starter, strangely. There not much room so everything we have going on right now is for auto rear irons so the auto starter can be used. That's a huge pita for a trans swap.

Darchangel posted:

The TE37s are always a winner, but I *really* like whatever those are on the car. I'm a sucker for deep dish (when do-able.)
Volk ce28s in 18x10.5. Squared up on the R33 gtr.
Steamroller status

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Volk ce28s in 18x10.5. Squared up on the R33 gtr.
Steamroller status

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok. Well today today-ed all day today.

I decided to just make the motor mounts today.

I glued down a copy of a simplied drawing to use as a template.

I roughed the parts out and pilot drilled/pocket drilled .

Then I final cut all the parts

Did some grinding and filing to finish.

Curbside pickup is the way to buy a break press. It's ok. I miss having a foot pedal to clamp the part.

Test bend. It took some tapping and a little hammering to get the break tuned up.

Having the template on the part still pays dividends.
[/url]
Don't push me cause I'm close to the......
(I actually messed up the knockout placement)

I did that to all but one of the parts when I realized that a couple bends were designed for a finger break. That I do not have.

No big deal, I can just cut off the bottom flange. But that changes the side flange length which changes the horizontal stifiners. Ok. Gonna do it all over again in the morning. Party.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 6, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can't just cut a couple pieces of heavy angle iron and weld them into a brake die set the right width for just that bend, and use them in a press? I'd do that before I redid all the work.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah I could, for one bend, but it's four different dimensions. Also I'm honestly doing this so I can learn these lessons. I'm too close to finished on this set of motor mounts so I am going to push through to see if there's any other things that are unknowable unknowns. Then I will start on another set.

I've gotten really reliant on farming out work in the last couple of years and normally that's what I would do. I'd mail off a file and have mounts CNC cut. Or in this case even water or laser jet and press bent. Most of the materials I've worked with over my career have been aluminum, titanium, or composites. Steel was just for bracketry and bullshit. So this has been an educational experience, honestly a pretty expensive one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I need to up my cad game.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

the spyder posted:

I need to up my cad game.

Autodesk has an amazing tutorial library on YouTube for free. I downloaded like 20 hours worth of tutorials on tubing and a few others. Fusion 360 the program I use is free to hobbyists and students and it has great integration for multiple aspects. I took a bunch of classes way back yonder when but brushing up with the tutorial says done more for me than the classes ever did.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SWAG offroad makes some nifty press brakes, both kits and fully assembled. They can be upgraded to finger brakes, or purchased that way to begin with.
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html
I'd like one of the finger brakes intended for a Chinese (i.e.: Harbor Freight) presses, since that's what I currently have.

Also, I want one of their 3D printed knobs for the jack thereon. I'd print one myself, but my 3D printer is currently in development hell somewhere in China.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Well it would have been neat to know about that press attachment before I bought the big red one. Oh well.

With rona and Xmas and the election and all the noise I needed a break so I wandered off to cabin in the Colorado boonies with a couple friends after each getting our brains scraped and packing all our food. It's been a long year.

It was nice to get some quiet and a week of bopping around in a new RTR ranger.

Only brought Yogi so my spouse had company. She didn't seem to suffer much for the trip.

Aaaaaaanyhooooo, came back to boring bland brown flat Texas and started playing with the car again.

I wasn't happy with the way my last set of pillions landed, so I started over.

I changed where the mount landed, redesigned, cut, bent etc el.

Came out ok for a first pass. I'm going to take another whack at it and see if I can do it in two pieces instead of four or hide the weld lines better.

I'll see how it goes. I have some more parts coming in and some other stuff that just needs zapped together. Holler if there is something you would like to see. I have other projects and other cars I play with ect.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Looks drat good. Don't forget perfection is the worst enemy of good enough. Especially for a prototype. Polish the hell out of the for sale version.

Also just post. All of it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Oh hi thread, fancy seeing you here!

Quick catch-up post.

I wasn't happy with some of the known issues of this mount.

So I made a final, perfect version

Ooh, ahhh

I also made the passenger side, but forgot to take a picture (it looks like this, only metal)

Also I disowned my daughter for bringing shame to my house

And then in retribution she sabotaged me so that I put my hand down on top of a propane heater while she was asleep and burned a bigass hole in it. She's tricky.

Also I got my rona jab that make me feel like I had a brutal hangover for three days. (It's a secret government plot to give everybody the Rona, duh)

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 2, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok ok, boring.
Between the rona jr. , Burning my hand, getting some incorrect parts and my therapist telling me to try the paleo diet and yoga for my spinal damage (seriously, she saw a video on youtube), I was pretty in in the dumps.

Lucky for me, one of my friends has an AWD ridgeline that has been rotting in his driveway for a couple years and I have the desire to make a texas sized UTV.

It's got that good NE US salt life going on under the hood. Also, not much interior for racing (sunroof leak) reasons.

Luckily again, I developed rapid onset dipshit and rented a car one way to PA to go get it. Taking the truck and enclosed seems like too much work.

Pandemic pricing!

Nor-easter you say? Pish posh. That's a problem for reasonable people.
After a quick Rock Auto and ebay order I grabbed some tools, a box of cliff bars and a carton of goldfish.

Don't worry, I asked him to check the oil and the dipstick snapped off, so all signs point to a smashing success.

I leave in the morning.

Sadly I can't take a dog on this one as I am staying in a borrowed house while I get this pile of oxide ready for a cross country trip.
Nobody is happy about that., There's a ton of pouting and standing by the door going on tonight.

In other news I picked up some interesting green energy work that should keep me traveling and did some livestreams while doing fab work and design for some folks that were a ton of fun and I may do more of later. By the time I'm back from this trip (iF i gEt BaCk! Boohahaha!) it will be time to head out west for work and other cool car stuff. Also a bunch of supplies I needed to start stacking a replacement rotory for the other car and start plumbing for the k car come in this week.

Progress progress.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 2, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh boy I love a good shitbox 3000 run.

Wonder if you can get that dipstick out by drilling a pilot hole, heating a drywall screw red hot, screwing it in fast before it cools, and then using a claw hammer or maybe a prybar to gingerly pull it out. I've had that work before, though never tried it on such a crusty mess, most of my crusty messes are old enough to have metal dipsticks.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have plans and ideas. Some things I'm worried about messing with and causing an even larger problem. It looks like every fastener in the bay and underneath wants to snap off.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Oh boy I love a good shitbox 3000 run.

Wonder if you can get that dipstick out by drilling a pilot hole, heating a drywall screw red hot, screwing it in fast before it cools, and then using a claw hammer or maybe a prybar to gingerly pull it out. I've had that work before, though never tried it on such a crusty mess, most of my crusty messes are old enough to have metal dipsticks.

Wait are you really into ridgelines? A la the redtext?

Potential follow-up question: are there people who are really into these things?

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 2, 2021

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man, this is gonna be great.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:lol: absolutely not, my buddy Dan got me that like 4? 6? 8? Years ago now and I haven't bothered to change it. I do not like ridgelines, so I'm going to enjoy your sawzall posts on this one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well this is going to be an entertaining adventure.

edit: and those engine mounts are lovely.

edit2: you're insane to bring a car from PA to TX. Not because of distance, but because why would you bring that bad salt juju here?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 2, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't understand why such a vehicle is worth driving across the country, but I trust you have reasons?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

angryrobots posted:

I don't understand why such a vehicle is worth driving across the country, but I trust you have reasons?

Its been a while since anyone has done something ridiculous and completely unnecessary WRT bad out of state vehicle purchases hasn't it?
Not since the trukk odyssey?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Well this is going to be an entertaining adventure.

edit: and those engine mounts are lovely.

edit2: you're insane to bring a car from PA to TX. Not because of distance, but because why would you bring that bad salt juju here?

It just snowed a bunch so it'll have fresh salt and moisture! Maybe it'll shed some salt for when you all get another ice storm.

Former company in New England has a Dallas office, took a long time for folks to realize a foot of snow is different than an ice storm.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I have a friend who really needs to be visited. This is the excuse to go, Rona has been hard on everybody. The truck is just a fun thing. It's trash it's junk it's just a disposable toy.

And driving across the country to go get it and fix it and then drive it back sounded like a fun thing to do and I have a dead week and needed a distraction too.

Alarbus posted:

It just snowed a bunch so it'll have fresh salt and moisture! Maybe it'll shed some salt for when you all get another ice storm.

Former company in New England has a Dallas office, took a long time for folks to realize a foot of snow is different than an ice storm.

I'm from a part of the country that also gets exciting weather I'm only in Dallas temporarily. I know how dumb this is. I'm sure it'll be fine or not.

doesn't really matter

they actually gave me a malibu, but surprisingly it's not an awful car. it drives nice on the freeway and so far it is average in the mid-30s for gas mileage at 75 mph plus.

I stopped at the temple on the way out of town to pay my respects and purchase my offerings.

If you're wondering how much a rusty Ridgeline is worth, well it isn't worth this much.

This is that good East Texas poo poo right here.

Normally I would drive straight through but I got a little bit of a late start today and that will put me there in the very early morning so I'm going to stop for the night in Nashville.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Doing it for the hell of it is a very good reason. Drive safe!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

That's impressively, incredibly bad. I live in central NY, and there's literally a salt mine under my lake that gets dumped straight on the roads from november until... june. I have an '07 accord with like 300k daily driven miles and it looks NOTHING like that. In the 6 years I've owned the thing, I have fought with ONE bolt under the car, every thing else has come off with hand tools.

I've NEVER seen a car that new look that bad. Did he just never wash it? Park it on grass? HOW? :psyduck:

Drive safe, we got about two feet here over the last three days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Alarbus posted:

It's amusing watching Northerners who think "eh, it's a few inches of snow - just go drive" realize that Texas rarely gets *just* snow. We get ice, or snow that melts and refreezes into ice, *then* snow on top of that. Plus, we never have snow tires, chains, etc., or experience driving on snow/ice, so, while they laugh, it's much safer to just stay home.

bird cooch posted:

If you're wondering how much a rusty Ridgeline is worth, well it isn't worth this much.

Not gonna lie - I want to eat all those horrible snacks.
Good thing the nearest Buc-ee's to me is the one outside the Motor Speedway, and that's a good 30 miles from the house.

edit: I'm bummed that it hasn't snowed here enough to actually leave anything on the roads for the last two years. I bought a Subaru, and have yet to be able to do AWD snow drifts.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 3, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Doing it for the hell of it is a very good reason. Drive safe!

To be 100% honest, I needed to so it works out.

glyph posted:

That's impressively, incredibly bad. I live in central NY, and there's literally a salt mine under my lake that gets dumped straight on the roads from november until... june. I have an '07 accord with like 300k daily driven miles and it looks NOTHING like that. In the 6 years I've owned the thing, I have fought with ONE bolt under the car, every thing else has come off with hand tools.

I've NEVER seen a car that new look that bad. Did he just never wash it? Park it on grass? HOW? :psyduck:

Drive safe, we got about two feet here over the last three days.

You are looking a gift horse in the mouth. It also has a rust hole in the door.

I have no idea it. was the winter vehicle on a long commute and it's been sitting for a while in a grown over driveway that's just how stuff is sometimes. If it was in perfect condition it would be a boring trip right?

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 4, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

It's amusing watching Northerners who think "eh, it's a few inches of snow - just go drive" realize that Texas rarely gets *just* snow. We get ice, or snow that melts and refreezes into ice, *then* snow on top of that. Plus, we never have snow tires, chains, etc., or experience driving on snow/ice, so, while they laugh, it's much safer to just stay home.

Adding onto this, if it's snowing on a frequently-travelled road, the drafts from cars travelling at speed will keep a decent chunk of the snow from accumulating on the road. When people aren't used to snow, they'll (wisely) slow down, so more snow accumulates on the roads, gets driven over, and turns slippery.

Also might have something to do with the ambient temperature/humidity level being higher in areas where it doesn't snow much, but I'm not a meteorologist.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How's the trip going?

bird cooch posted:

You are looking a gift horse in the mouth. It also has a rust hole in the door.

I have no idea it. was the winter vehicle on a long commute and it's been sitting for a while in a grown over driveway that's just how stuff is sometimes. If it was in perfect condition it would be a boring trip right?

Oh, I totally get that. That wasn't my intention in the least. My angle is the genuine academic curiosity of what it takes to let rust take over that badly. The grown over driveway probably is probably the culprit now that I'm thinking about it.

Drive safe.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
/\ I take no offense. I am just...brusk.

Super quick update, I'll fill this in later.

Had effectively no brakes, now it's back apart.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seeing that light pole dead center in the windshield was concerning.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Seeing that light pole dead center in the windshield was concerning.

I was using it for a clipping point. Couple decades of drifting will do that to you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird cooch posted:

I was using it for a clipping point. Couple decades of drifting will do that to you.

As long as you know what you're doing. It's seeing video like that without knowing the skill level of the driver that creates the concern... :D

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My skill level is still super questionable, it's all enthusiasm and bravado. (Sex joke)

Ok, i arrived a few days back and have been goofing off and working on this thing the whole time.

The rustline has been sitting, broken, for a while.

The alt is a pretty good representation of the external engine components. Most have been replaced by now. Wow they salt so hard here.

This door is traaaaash, but the rest of the chassis is remarkably solid. Good thing the price is right.

Starter

Belts, idler yadda yadda

Petey pablo pets

Unsolicited dipstick pics ect. All the boring stuff.

I really wish it wasn't in the teens outside. Might take the 450 out in the yard regardless.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Once we had it running we went to Sheetz for jdm gas pump pics and had no brakes.

Having no brakes we did the responsible thing and drove across town to the car wash and slamming on the brake repeatedly would fix them. Re-bed if you will. Didn't work. So I just sprayed the gunk off instead. Really get it clean.
[/url]

To celebrate, the above posted snow drifting and general whooping on the truck. Still no brakes, but we did get a bunch of codes and a coolant smell. Good.

Back at the shop I settled in to figure out why the darn thing just won't stop.

Well, those were hosed and as you can see, we are making do with what is on hand. Quicky caliper rebuild, new rotors and the pads we had in the shop. Rust bucket is going to stop now. Damnit.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The rad and hoses needed replacement, and the headlight had a broken mount (remember the no brakes?) So we tore the rustline back down again.

I yoinked the valve cover to remove the broken off dipstick, it actually looks really good in there. No buildup, light staining. Premo.

I ended up drilling out the dipstick stub and needed to ream out the corrosion in the bung hole (heh), I didn't bring a ream kit, so I made do with a bit of scotch brite and a drill. Worked a treat.

Then the valve cover broke removing the plug gasket.

Woof. It was really baked on there after 180k.

Sooooooooo......junk yard trip!!!
I had actually already purchased another valve cover but it's trapped in fedex hell and I need to get back to Texas this week so I can go to California for work the following week. No pressure.

Did you know that the vk56 out of the titan drops into a fronter? Bolts right up on factory mounts.

Well, the gen after this one. Once it has a vq instead of a ka yadda yadda.

One Odyssey later and we have a new valve cover in hand and an extra coil for the trip.

That's where I'm at right now. I've been doing prep work for my new job at night till 2 or 3 am and then showing up for breakfast so I'm starting to get a little fried. I'm heading out to the shop to button up the cooling system and replace the valve cover ect. Hopefully it goes smoothly so I can test tomorrow and return the rental car and roooool south before this cold snap gets here.

Thanks for coming to my Tedx talk at the YMCA.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Someone vk56 swap a frontier, tia.