Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Someone vk56 swap a frontier, tia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp29691758/nissan-frontier-desert-runner-sema/

I know about this because my buddy Brian over at MA Motorsports did one for Nissan last year

Go watch their video. It has a turbo, 6 speed, beeps and hoops and Brian is an amazing dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZVwfWNRt9k

Edit: I don't know how to embed youtube anymore plz help.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How goes the drive? Hopefully none of the important bits have fallen off? :ohdear:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Well, I made it home, then spent a few days in the hospital. I just got out.

Did the hoses, bled errrrrything. Bled in the engine bay, as is required by the old gods ect.

Left the loving key in the on position and had to do some jumper cable docking to reach.

It has been in the teens (heh) most nights while we are doing this trash. Last night it was 8. gently caress. Even the wd-40 split. That's like wd-30 now.

Baja ready with the 32s in the bed. No really, can't see poo poo yo.

After some expert bodywork with the angle grinder (srsly) I deftly paint matched the rust portions of the door.

Better than rust. Better than it deserves.

All right well tomorrow we find out if this turd bucket will make it all the way back to Texas.

Good thing the weather is cooperating.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Well first it was snowy as gently caress.

Then it was Misty and freezing mist and now it's just foggy.

I've been in the truck for 16 and a half hours straight and in three more I will be home. I've had no problem so far other than a tire pressure sensor going crazy for a minute and using slash losing a little bit of coolant somewhere.

Every time I hit a big rear end pothole you can hear rust fly off the bottom of it bounce all over the place and the blizzaks are super loud in the dry at 80 miles an hour when it's above 40 degrees.

The google estimate when I left was 19:58. I made it in 20:23.

No real issues until I hit the end of my street and a coilpack gave out.

Easy day. The next day however.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The second night I was home I woke up with a hunting knife stuck in my chest. At least it felt like it. I spent a couple hours curled into a ball on my bathroom floor before my wife found me and dragged me to the ER.

I took.them ten minutes to diagnose what the VA had given me antacids and gasex for. My gallbladder was horribly infected and swollen and had spread to some of the surrounding tissue.

It took two operations to get it all cleaned up. I was out for.three days.

I just got home a couple hours ago.

For years I've been dealing with a random and painful stomach ache and it had been misdiagnosed every time.by the va. These guys got in ten minutes. Everyone was amazing and took wonderful care of me.

Thank you texas health presbyterian hospital. Wonderful people.

I'll be out of action for a few days.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 14, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo! Hope you feel better!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What a roller coaster. Get well and thanks for sharing the crazy poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gallbladder misdiagnoses are surprisingly common, despite removals being one of the more common surgeries out there.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I expected the drive home to be the excitement, but I did too good of a job fixing it up. Now it's a super solid slow, but fun honda el camino. It handled the snow and the drive like a champ. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as it sits.

But now I'm down for body failure. Less fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow! Well, glad you made it home in one piece mostly. I wish it was the car that lost pieces to this journey not you.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for all the well wishes. I am ridiculously sturdy so I'm already back at it.

What in the Texas is going on here?!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I’m not usually one for conspiracies, but it seems very suspicious that you got a so-called “unnecessary” organ removed, and now Texas has frozen over.

Joking aside, glad you are okay. My friend has had his out & had to make relatively small dietary adjustments with no other major problems to speak of.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's been really wild today. It's currently 10° and 15mph winds at my house. We have about 6" of snow but it's getting blown all over the place.

I already eat pretty healthy, but cutting out a little more salt and fat isn't going to be too big of a deal. Going to miss fried chicken though.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's -3 and our power is just starting to flicker on after more than 24 hours. I spent all day driving family members and wood around town so that everybody could be warm. I really lucked out on the timing with the Ridgeline because without the blizzaks I would be just another truck in the ditch. Everything is sheet ice now. I'm sitting up to reset the stupid nest every time power flickers so hopefully I can get the house back into the 50s before power cuts out again.

Nothing here is built for cold. All the houses are insulated up high to keep ac in and we are all on slab foundations. Half my pipes are frozen. I had to go chisel my water shut-off out of the front yard because there's none in the house here. The roads have no crown and there are no plows or sand/salt trucks. The coal and natural gas peaker plants failed/are "too expensive" to turn on. Texas is on its own grid so it doesn't have to follow fed guidelines and because of this they can't barrow power and it's completely unregulated. Downtown dallas has been lit up like a Xmas tree the whole time and some of the rich exurbs are only seeing 15 min and hour outages.

I'm midly irritated, very tired and really really sore.

the ridgeline has been a tank through all of this. I would need to plug my truck into a genny for half a day to get it started and I doubt I could make it up the street. We have about 6" of snow, but the constant 10-20mph winds the last couple days have blown it all into the ditches or up against the shop and fences.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Who could have guessed that hauling a rusty honda across the country on a lark in the middle of winter would be the best decision, possibly a lifesaver!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It just goes to show you that you should always say "yes" when you get a chance to buy a rusty Honda for cheap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Stay warm. We’re hiding out at my mother in law’s in Dallas, where there is power. I’m usually over by DFW airport, but we gave up Monday when we lost power at 7:30 am, and still not back by 9 pm. Still not back now (11 pm Tuesday). ERCOT can go to hell.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Who could have guessed that hauling a rusty honda across the country on a lark in the middle of winter would be the best decision, possibly a lifesaver!

It has definitely kept me busy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It just goes to show you that you should always say "yes" when you get a chance to buy a rusty Honda for cheap.
By the time I replaced everything I probably could have swung a local junker, but then I wouldn't have gotten the trip. If you can get a honda for a jar of buccees pickled eggs, that's always a good deal.

Darchangel posted:

Stay warm. We’re hiding out at my mother in law’s in Dallas, where there is power. I’m usually over by DFW airport, but we gave up Monday when we lost power at 7:30 am, and still not back by 9 pm. Still not back now (11 pm Tuesday). ERCOT can go to hell.

I'm glad y'all are doing ok, I couldn't remember who was local. It's dropping freezing rain/sleet here in Denton so I doubt you are missing much.

Last night my daughter took the first shift sleeping by the fire and keeping it stoaked till about 2am, then we all piled into bed with the dogs and tons of blankets for a few hours until the power started cycling on and off in 3-5 min intervals.

Problem: it takes two minutes for the nest to boot up and fire the furnace.
Solution: I sat in a stool Infront of the controll and bypassed the warm up so we would get the full 3-5 min of heat. I did that from 4ish am to 6:30am. Tough titty. Did manage to get the house almost to 50° inside during that time.

Once that went away again, I went all hypermiller. I taped and plasticed all the windows to create so ghetto double panes and took masking tape and foam tape to all the doorjams possible. The I went out with some 100mph tape and sealed the house garage doors as they were facing directly into the wind and letting a mighty draft in. Boom. Sealed up tighter than a ducks butt. Didn't get anymore juice today but it's pretty comfortable inside now.

That takes me to about 9 am. The well froze in the neighborhood where half my family lives, some others needed clothing and whatnot, some folks just needed to get to an area with more constant power. So I drove the texas snow taxi for most of the day. I cannot give enough credit to these tires and this junker truck. It's earning it's worth every day. There's no way I can cut it up now. I grew up.in washington state and spent most of my life during in snow, but having the only snow tires in Texas has been a boon.

After the day ended I popped a small leak in my bellybutton where the larger surgical opening was, lucky for me, my wife is as sturdier than waffle house and gave it a good clean up and we were able to send some pictures to the doc. Seems fine but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Today was supposed to be the first day of my new job, but this weather mess has pushed everything back a few days. I hope we get power back tomorrow or else I am going to have to drive until I have power and internet long enough to send out some emails that I'm sure will endear me to the engineering team.

Sorry there hasn't been more hothod updates, Im sure this will calm down soonish. If you are in this mess take care of yourself and your people.

Edit:thanks to everyone who responds, makes me feel like less of a crazy person talking to himself. If you are one of the folks that reads and doesn't post, why? I miss the old car forums and build threads. Talk poo poo, ask questions, say something. I'm just kinda jibbering to be breeze here most of the time.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 17, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So your insides are wanting out and you're still doing poo poo for other people. drat man, respect.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

After about ten minutes of that poo poo, I'd have taken the Nest off the wall and twisted the right wires together to make the furnace kick on :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

When hell freezes over, a rusty midwestern shitbox saves the day.

Not at all expected. Hope things get better down there and good on you helping folks out.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Been reading from the start, wishing you and your family all the very best from the other side of the world where it's 90+ Fahrenheit every day and we've had a single covid case since March 2020.

Following just general build threads here over the past year has been like gazing into a different reality. Hell, I bought my first face mask two weeks ago as a bit of a 'just in case'. Seeing the amount of cool progress you're making on these projects while also dealing with... lets see.. total governmental, environmental, biological and now bodily failure shames me into getting off my arse and doing all the bullshit projects that I talk about endlessly but just never get around to.

Spent the weekend finally getting the fuel pump, hoses and ECU tune going for E85 on my dumb Australian-built LS3 jalopy so it'll be ready for the drags and painted some furniture.

Stay safe and keep doing ridiculous projects, I'll be following.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I get you’ve got an emotional connection now but just know that if you don’t hack it up into the promised Texas-sized UTV, this stranger on the internet is going to be sorely disappointed

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

After about ten minutes of that poo poo, I'd have taken the Nest off the wall and twisted the right wires together to make the furnace kick on :v:

You are a smarter person than I. Also probably getting more sleep than I am too, haha.

If y'all are feeling warm and fuzzy and have the means, consider donating to:

https://www.servedenton.org/ (hyper local to me, there's lots of great folks working around the clock to keep people warm and fed right now)

If you can't support financially, mail an energy exec a box of your post chilli poo

-or-

Just bully Ted Cruz in any way you can.

It's for a good cause and it really helps!

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's kinda what he did, but actually over at the furnace.

bird cooch posted:

Do that regardless, especially since that turd made comments about "this is what happens when Dems set energy policy" back when California was being asked to conserve power during their ferocious even-hot-by-Texas-standards summer. Several TX Republicans did that, in fact, and they all deserve to get that thrown back in their faces repeatedly, at high velocity.

Our '04 Outback has handled the snowpocalypse really well, despite the lack of proper snow tires (Hankook all seasons.) Once I replaced the marginal battery, that is. Between the cold and me leaving a map light on, it shat itself.
Good Lord, I hope ERCOT gets its poo poo together soon.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, and don't even bother with the heat pump if so equipped, it's too cold and running for too short of intervals to be worth it. Put the heat strips on and the blower fan.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

bird cooch posted:

Edit:thanks to everyone who responds, makes me feel like less of a crazy person talking to himself. If you are one of the folks that reads and doesn't post, why? I miss the old car forums and build threads. Talk poo poo, ask questions, say something. I'm just kinda jibbering to be breeze here most of the time.

Sorry mate I'm still just agog that Honda make a ute. Completely flabbergasted.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

ought ten posted:

I get you’ve got an emotional connection now but just know that if you don’t hack it up into the promised Texas-sized UTV, this stranger on the internet is going to be sorely disappointed

Surely the correct answer is to go buy a second Honda, yes? Your stuff is cool, even if a bunch of it goes over my head, and good on you for helping out during all this crazy winter weather (very glad I'm in El Paso and not Dallas).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ted Cruz deserves all of your health issues and to be stuck drinking the water in Cancun straight out of the tap

this is a good thread.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

bird cooch posted:

I enjoy reading about your work - but this works both ways! you've gotta post in our project threads too! :justpost:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

bird cooch posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time like this

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks to this thread I think I found an interesting transmission solution for the project I'm planning. Never really thought about a DCT before, but drat the tuning possibilities are pretty rad (along with the wallet emptying possibilities).

Is that HTG rewiring pbc part of their kit? It's kind of hard to tell from the site. I guess it would be easy enough to spin one up at my work, though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I don't care what anyone says. 1st gen Ridgelines are great, even though they all seem to have sagging headliners and broken dipsticks.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
After traveling and all the storm excitement and surgery I had to take some down time. I hurt my stomach so I've been on my butt for a couple weeks. Should be back at it this weekend.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rectal Placenta posted:

Thanks to this thread I think I found an interesting transmission solution for the project I'm planning. Never really thought about a DCT before, but drat the tuning possibilities are pretty rad (along with the wallet emptying possibilities).

Is that HTG rewiring pbc part of their kit? It's kind of hard to tell from the site. I guess it would be easy enough to spin one up at my work, though.

You can send in your transmission control box to domi or htg and they will wire it up. I did my own, it's paint by numbers. Good luck with your project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hope your stomach is feeling better now. Too many slides in the Ridgeline?