Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This thread has it all, holy poo poo.

I'd LOVE to have some of the connections you have.

bird cooch posted:

My amazing friend Alex drew up some fasteners that until now had no reason to exist and is creating them. apparently crafting is way more difficult than video games led me to believe.

Impressive work with the socket cap there, is the t55 cut with a rotary broach?

Of all the amazing fab and machining already in this thread, this little detail caught my eye because nobody else has mentioned it yet, it's a slow day at work, and if someone looks over my shoulder, this is the kind of thing I research around here all the time. So I took a dig around to see if there was an off the shelf, or easily modifiable off the shelf solution. Especially so if you're looking to put these kits on the market.

Here's what I came up with- if you can live with an eTorx screw instead of a socket, BMW kind of already uses and makes (well, has someone make) the screw you're looking for. I don't have a great sense if the flange is too large to pack them all in there, but it's gotta be far easier to turn the flanges down than it is to make an entirely bespoke socket cap screw. Especially at $3 a piece. Here's the first link I found that sent me down this path when I searched for "BMW m12x1/0 screw". I had a feeling I had seen some kind of 10.9 grade fastener like this on my e61, and well, I was wrong about that, but I did find a possible existing one. So yay.

Different websites and different photographers, but I believe these have the same part number.

Part number 13527800395. RealOEM says it's timing chain sprocket retainer used in the *20d models available across the pond [and here too?]. Ok. Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

bird cooch posted:

it's amazing that you pointed this out it actually took me forever to find that bolt but due to the clearances on the backside of the flywheel we weren't able to use any sort of flanged bolt.

Without beating a dead horse here, my thinking was to buy the BMW screws and send them out to someone (like the new guy) to do the second op of turning down the flange to the diameter of the eTorx head on the already hardened and to spec fastener. I saw the turning center in your pic there, and, well, that seemed a lot easier than roughing, threading and broaching each one out of bar stock.

The final adapter is beautiful. I haven't done anything with EDM, but holey moley, just thinking about having that capability makes my head spin. Super cool thread.

bird cooch posted:

I am lucky to have some amazing friends who are total instigators and enablers pushing me to make even weirder and crazier cars. Birds of a feather and all that.

Couldn't agree more.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

bird cooch posted:

You very well may be right. It would be a lot easier to check up in my lathe than just turn down the shoulders a little bit. I can't remember if there was a solid reason why we didn't do that.

Ah, got it. You'd found those. I should have figured I wasn't charting new territory and had found something that you weren't aware of.

If you can't remember why, that's totally fine, but this kind of thing fascinates me- why the m12x1.0 super fine oddball thread on a part you were also cutting the female threads on? Clamping strength?

/derail.

Please keep the beauty pics of machined and fabricated doodads coming.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 11, 2020

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

That's impressively, incredibly bad. I live in central NY, and there's literally a salt mine under my lake that gets dumped straight on the roads from november until... june. I have an '07 accord with like 300k daily driven miles and it looks NOTHING like that. In the 6 years I've owned the thing, I have fought with ONE bolt under the car, every thing else has come off with hand tools.

I've NEVER seen a car that new look that bad. Did he just never wash it? Park it on grass? HOW? :psyduck:

Drive safe, we got about two feet here over the last three days.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How's the trip going?

bird cooch posted:

You are looking a gift horse in the mouth. It also has a rust hole in the door.

I have no idea it. was the winter vehicle on a long commute and it's been sitting for a while in a grown over driveway that's just how stuff is sometimes. If it was in perfect condition it would be a boring trip right?

Oh, I totally get that. That wasn't my intention in the least. My angle is the genuine academic curiosity of what it takes to let rust take over that badly. The grown over driveway probably is probably the culprit now that I'm thinking about it.

Drive safe.