Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gavok posted:

I'm curious what they're going to do with Vulcan down the line, but I can't imagine they're going to straight-up do, "Xavier sent a team of X-Men to their deaths, then mindwiped everyone to cover his tracks," for the cartoon.

God, that was right on the heels of, "Xavier enslaved a self-aware AI being and kept it on the downlow so his students could have a state-of-the-art rec room." They were really making him the worst back then.

There's been quite a few cases of Xavier being the worst, and even during the recent Krakoa arc he was pretty shady.

I really need to go back and read those "sent a x-men team to do something, they all died, oops time to mindwipe their existence away from everyone" comics because that seems like a wild premise. If memory serves they got killed on Krakoa before it got turned into Mutant-topia V. 2 as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they're able to put together any kind of heroic happy ending to this season. And since we didn't see the body, I'm assuming Magneto's alive and will go right back to full villain mode. Just having that Genosha attack happen is justification enough, but if Xavier comes back and lets Magneto off the hook as needing to lead the X-men I think it's a sure thing that he starts going hard in the paint against humanity.

I could easily see some x-men joining him on that crusade as part of a season ending cliffhanger as well: Rogue seems like a gimme, Wolverine's historically been willing to kill and go further than most x-men (hence his presence on basically every X-force team ever), and I could see Madelyn Pryor or Jean Grey joining up with Magneto since I think a version of Jean on each team is another gimme if they go down this story path. If they take this plot road, I feel like you need to have Cyclops and Wolverine on different teams both so that they can fight each other here and there and so that they can both romance a version of Jean that's on their team. Cyclops and Madelyn on team Magneto and Wolverine and Jean on team Xavier seems like a distinct possibility, and that would be the more shocking thing than having Wolverine join up with Magneto. Then again just based on powersets, it'd make more sense to have him on Magento's team so that Magneto can't just wave his hand and own Wolverine in every fight the two of them get into.

Morph of course gets forgotten about in all this just like they were during almost all of the big sentinel fight at the end of episode 1 until eventually it's revealed that a random mutant wanted to just step away from this mess (Beast is an obvious possibility there) and Morph just took over that mutant's identity and joined up with a side. And based on what we've seen so far this season, whatever side gets Storm auto-wins every fight unless the plot prevents them from using their full powers.

Anyway, that's some wild speculation, and we'll see if any of that remotely pans out this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm curious to see how many changes of outfit we get out of the show. Magneto has been in what I gather is his first "hero" uniform and could well change again, Storm has manifested what I think is her "classic" costume (I think the silver one is Jim Lee era and the other contender since it's from the show). Rogue's been through some stuff which could provoke a change, and the flashback already hinted to one of her green outfits. The Genosha events could lead to secondary mutations and Lion Beast, and really anyone from the Morrison New X-Men could change to that uniform. If we're heading towards Apocalypse one possibility is Gambit as Death. Going to be interesting to see if Storm is in her new gear in next weeks intro, and if that change carries into other parts like charging into Magneto's team, especially since it depicted him as a villain in his classic gear all this time. Oh! And they could change Mags into the white version of his classic getup. He explained the symbolism of putting on the helmet to put up a barrier from his old friend Charles, so putting it back on symbolises a breakdown between them again. Just don't think about how Chuck dealt with him in his first TAS appearance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We need m day before we get schism.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Episode 6 is the first episode I wasn't too keen on. The Xavier stuff felt a bit rushed, and the Storm stuff felt like it went on for too long. It had some neat moments for sure, but the pacing didn't work for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm curious to see how many changes of outfit we get out of the show. Magneto has been in what I gather is his first "hero" uniform and could well change again, Storm has manifested what I think is her "classic" costume (I think the silver one is Jim Lee era and the other contender since it's from the show). Rogue's been through some stuff which could provoke a change, and the flashback already hinted to one of her green outfits. The Genosha events could lead to secondary mutations and Lion Beast, and really anyone from the Morrison New X-Men could change to that uniform. If we're heading towards Apocalypse one possibility is Gambit as Death. Going to be interesting to see if Storm is in her new gear in next weeks intro, and if that change carries into other parts like charging into Magneto's team, especially since it depicted him as a villain in his classic gear all this time. Oh! And they could change Mags into the white version of his classic getup. He explained the symbolism of putting on the helmet to put up a barrier from his old friend Charles, so putting it back on symbolises a breakdown between them again. Just don't think about how Chuck dealt with him in his first TAS appearance.

I doubt Rogue changes, as the green and yellow plus bomber jacket kind of is her iconic design (I actually liked her red and black outfit from the early 00s, but some version of the TAS look has stuck otherwise). Nightcrawler's basically had one look because it got nailed first time out. I'd be up for trying out the yellow and brown version of Wolverine, though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Charles is a tool and Storm is insufferable. The two X-men I like the least got their own episode, but at least their bullshit is out of the way now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't remember, why does everyone think Xavier is dead and how did he sneak off to space to be with Lilandra?

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to do the incredible, shocking genocide episode that everyone is talking about and follow that up with two boring romance stories that don't even get to the aftermath. Look, no one gives a poo poo about Charles and Lilandra irl in the comics, much less the week after they just killed half the loving mutants on planet Earth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was fatally wounded by Gyrich and taken to space for healing by Liandra. Acess to Shi’ar medical tech would likely be needed to keep him alive, so he was expected to be gone long term.

As a result the X-Men just told people he died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So they all know he isn't dead, so they aren't going to be surprised when he shows back up in a week or two? Does Magneto know? Or did he know I guess.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He left grievously wounded over a year ago and hasn't been in touch since, they might think he's actually dead.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I was so upset that Charles is alive and now is gonna do his thing.

I can't wait for him to gently caress things up even worse.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Madisynn is on late night TV and using She-Hulk as her credits/bio

Yaaaaay!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-cwa6ZvflaA2cn02O4YzhZ_zIIGd_5nh&si=bYsELsymTFBriG2p

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NowonSA posted:

There's been quite a few cases of Xavier being the worst, and even during the recent Krakoa arc he was pretty shady.

I really need to go back and read those "sent a x-men team to do something, they all died, oops time to mindwipe their existence away from everyone" comics because that seems like a wild premise. If memory serves they got killed on Krakoa before it got turned into Mutant-topia V. 2 as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing if they're able to put together any kind of heroic happy ending to this season. And since we didn't see the body, I'm assuming Magneto's alive and will go right back to full villain mode. Just having that Genosha attack happen is justification enough, but if Xavier comes back and lets Magneto off the hook as needing to lead the X-men I think it's a sure thing that he starts going hard in the paint against humanity.

I could easily see some x-men joining him on that crusade as part of a season ending cliffhanger as well: Rogue seems like a gimme, Wolverine's historically been willing to kill and go further than most x-men (hence his presence on basically every X-force team ever), and I could see Madelyn Pryor or Jean Grey joining up with Magneto since I think a version of Jean on each team is another gimme if they go down this story path. If they take this plot road, I feel like you need to have Cyclops and Wolverine on different teams both so that they can fight each other here and there and so that they can both romance a version of Jean that's on their team. Cyclops and Madelyn on team Magneto and Wolverine and Jean on team Xavier seems like a distinct possibility, and that would be the more shocking thing than having Wolverine join up with Magneto. Then again just based on powersets, it'd make more sense to have him on Magento's team so that Magneto can't just wave his hand and own Wolverine in every fight the two of them get into.

Morph of course gets forgotten about in all this just like they were during almost all of the big sentinel fight at the end of episode 1 until eventually it's revealed that a random mutant wanted to just step away from this mess (Beast is an obvious possibility there) and Morph just took over that mutant's identity and joined up with a side. And based on what we've seen so far this season, whatever side gets Storm auto-wins every fight unless the plot prevents them from using their full powers.

Anyway, that's some wild speculation, and we'll see if any of that remotely pans out this season.

It would be nice if Wolverine could actually do something in this series so these are nice ideas.

Lots of folks predict Magneto will rip out his adamantium skeleton because this is the first X-adaptation which could actually get away with that. That's what your suggestion of him working with Magneto made me think of.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

OldSenileGuy posted:

In fact, when she was flying around in her new magic costume after getting her powers back, I started to become pretty sure that the entire 'Forge gets sick, the Adversary is attacking' plotline was taking place in her head while she was in Forge's power-restoring machine. That would have been a good way for them to have the plot where she has to face her demons and come out on top, and ALSO her powers are fixed by Forge's science that took them away in the first place. And yes, I did get this idea from the Futurama episode where Bender has to learn too work with Robot 101.

This makes more sense. I was honestly disappointed with the "All you have to do is believe in yourself!!" resolution, it just didnt feel X-Men-y.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just don't think about how Chuck dealt with him in his first TAS appearance.

I don't think this is the discontinuity everyone thinks it is. Charles and Magneto were in the same room, practically within arm's reach, it's entirely plausible that the helmet's protection isn't absolute and couldn't stand up to a direct mental attack at that range.

No-Prize me, bitches

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

I think they figure Wolverine has had enough screentime in the public eye with being the main character in almost all the x-men movies, so giving attention to other mutants is a good choice

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NikkolasKing posted:

It would be nice if Wolverine could actually do something in this series so these are nice ideas.

Lots of folks predict Magneto will rip out his adamantium skeleton because this is the first X-adaptation which could actually get away with that. That's what your suggestion of him working with Magneto made me think of.

I just don't know what the point of ripping out the adamantium would be other than checking a box off a list. Fatal Attractions isn't a great story and is really only known for that and a certain death. I feel like ripping out the metal and temporarily destroying Logan's confidence/belief in himself would cover similar ground to Storm's story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

So they all know he isn't dead, so they aren't going to be surprised when he shows back up in a week or two? Does Magneto know? Or did he know I guess.
Magneto was actually there when Charles gets taken away by Lilandra

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't remember, why does everyone think Xavier is dead and how did he sneak off to space to be with Lilandra?

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to do the incredible, shocking genocide episode that everyone is talking about and follow that up with two boring romance stories that don't even get to the aftermath. Look, no one gives a poo poo about Charles and Lilandra irl in the comics, much less the week after they just killed half the loving mutants on planet Earth.

Xavier sucks but it's pretty standard to take a breather after such a huge episode. Especially since the big attack happened in episode 5.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Magneto was actually there when Charles gets taken away by Lilandra

Well he's really leaning into the MY x-men stuff for someone who knows that

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
The future that Bishop and Forge are seen in has what appears to be Wolverine's skeleton in a bacta tank

I always thought that was badass as a kid but I don't think they every explained it. I wondered if it was removed or he was dead or if that WAS him and he was slowly regenerating from a single strand of DNA stuck to the skeleton

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The future stuff in the original series is generally nonsensical

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In the comic where Magneto removed the adamantium, correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't just rip it out whole, right? He, like, somehow liquified it and pulled it out of Logan's wounds or something?

I guess Magneto could have put it back together into a skeleton again for fun.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It also turned Wolverine into some kind of troll guy for no reason.

That was about the time I quit reading.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rubber Chicken posted:

The future that Bishop and Forge are seen in has what appears to be Wolverine's skeleton in a bacta tank

I always thought that was badass as a kid but I don't think they every explained it. I wondered if it was removed or he was dead or if that WAS him and he was slowly regenerating from a single strand of DNA stuck to the skeleton

It's implied that Forge is working in some kind of government lab, he's probably studying it. I think that was also an altered future after something went wrong on one of Bishop's jaunts to the past, pretty sure the skeleton wasn't there originally.

In other ep 6 news:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

In the comic where Magneto removed the adamantium, correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't just rip it out whole, right? He, like, somehow liquified it and pulled it out of Logan's wounds or something?

I guess Magneto could have put it back together into a skeleton again for fun.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

with the story they're doing so far with 4 episodes left, and like no shared lines at all between eachother, can't imagine an excuse for them to make Magneto do that to Wolverine in this rendition

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think Magneto is going to be a villain.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Wasn’t there a little animation nod to this in the original series when someone i can’t remember fucks wolverine up and turns him all liquidy or something? I vaguely remember this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Magneto is going to be a villain.
No, at least not this season. In the original series he kind of see-sawed his way back and forth between villainy and being neutral or good. Like in the Asteroid M episodes, he's not trying to start poo poo with humans, but ends up pissing off the human Genoshan government and then his lieutenant attempts to murder him so that he can use the base's weapons to declare war on humanity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zoobtro posted:

Wasn’t there a little animation nod to this in the original series when someone i can’t remember fucks wolverine up and turns him all liquidy or something? I vaguely remember this

Proteus jacked him up pretty bad, it was gnarly for a kids cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0m92xur9Y

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYwF_0EhTU

deep marvel cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HA5Czhtx4

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 19, 2024

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why does everyone say Magneto’s name is Magnus

I thought it was Erik

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought it was Erik

Magnus is his middle name

But that's a fake name and his real name is actually Max

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rubber Chicken posted:

Magnus is his middle name

But that's a fake name and his real name is actually Max

Mag Max, eh?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought it was Erik

It's short for Magnusto

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Why do they keep calling Wolverine "Logan" when his name is James "Jimothy" Howlett?

This was all pre-Internet, you could easily maintain multiple identities. Just another thing Internet ruined.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

McSpanky posted:

Proteus jacked him up pretty bad, it was gnarly for a kids cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0m92xur9Y

Lol, Proteus looking like that "Electricity Monster" from Scooby-Doo:

The '92 series also toned down his healing factor a lot, IIRC. I'm not sure if it was from Proteus or something else, but I feel like there was a MULTIPLE episode arc where Logan was "laid up" in bed with bandages around his chest because of how bad the damage was and how long it was taking him to heal it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I checked out the first three old X-men'92s and they're a lot better than I remembered? I had tried to watch them some years ago but didn't get more than like five minutes in, but I guess I was willing to give it more of a chance now that I've got animated X-men fever. The animation is still atrocious but it's actually decent dialogue with some funny jokes. Beast is loving hilarious. "A minor poet for a minor problem". Anyway I'm probably gonna work my way through them and just deal with the animation. God the scale of the Sentinels is all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I kinda hope they steer clear of Charles Xavier is actually SUPER DARK, kinda like the narrative that surrounds Reed Richard now a days. Like not every good guy needs to be a war criminal with a dark past.

Also, I thought this episode was fine, good even.