Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just finished episode seven.

* Nimrod in the opening.
* I'm pretty sure that was the Thieves' Guild at Gambit's funeral.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get their rear end.
* "I thought your kind were the good guys!"
"You killed those. Now, you get me."
* Beast quoting Mr. Rogers and Martin Luther King, also putting his (ex?)-girlfriend in her place.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get his rear end.
* "Honey, this ain't that sort of probe."
* Trust Emma Frost to be cunty after surviving a genocidal event.
* Love the subversion of the 'Have you tried not being a mutant?' thing. Of course it's two steps forward, one step back.
* "You did not cause Gambit or Magneto to be killed. You helped them live." is a heartbreaker.
* Hell yeah Rogue, get his rear end.
* Once again nailing the licensed music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep7: So who killed Henry Gyrich?

Rogue did nothing wrong :colbert:

Also with Magneto being alive, I am assuming they aren't going to undo everything that happened at Genosha with time travel shenanigans and Gambit is going to stay dead :rip: This show is so loving good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep7: So who killed Henry Gyrich?

Rogue did nothing wrong :colbert:

Also with Magneto being alive, I am assuming they aren't going to undo everything that happened at Genosha with time travel shenanigans and Gambit is going to stay dead :rip: This show is so loving good.

Bastion did. He's the big bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

1st AD posted:

Bastion did. He's the big bad

I was wondering if that's who that was. I don't really know him, just of him.

Also the comment about Val Cooper being missing pretty much confirms she's Mystique.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's really unfortunate that Rogue wasn't at his funeral, she could have had one more fight with his ex-wife. I think that's what he would have wanted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Some dditional minor thoughts:

They really keep focusing on images of Callisto after her death. I wonder if this could possibly mean anything, she was such a minor character. Maybe somebody on the creative team just loved her. Good on them if so but I'd like it to be more somehow. Someone elsewhere wanted her to be a Horsemen but this is Bastion's party, not Apocalypse's.

I remember Kelly mellowing out in TAS but here in 97 he's definitely presented badly. Not a cruel bigot, but still no help. Same as the reporter Trish, same as Sunspot's parents. It feels like they're isolating the X-Men from all their human "allies." People keep wondering if militant Cyclops is coming. I dunno but they must be building to something.

Cyke was still horrified by Rogue's straight up attempted execution of Trask. The man had surrendered, was no threat, was remorseful, and wasn't even directly responsible for what she's upset about. It's really not a defensible kill on any ground other than personal vengeance since she did it for Remy and no one else.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Cyke was still horrified by Rogue's straight up attempted execution of Trask. The man had surrendered, was no threat, was remorseful, and wasn't even directly responsible for what she's upset about. It's really not a defensible kill on any ground other than personal vengeance since she did it for Remy and no one else.

He jumped. She just delayed it a little bit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Fantastic episode. They've almost completely weened us off the 'pure' 90s aesthetics of the first 4 episodes and the show is now becoming 'modern' in its storytelling sensibilities. I am excited to see what it full matures into.

There's a shot of Rogue flying through the wings of a Victory of Samothrace style statue. We are now officially in the era of atavistic flying women.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I noticed that Rogue got a flash of both Bastion and Nimrod when she touched Gyrich.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With the cameos, I find it pretty funny how the show punks out General Ross and calls Steve Rogers a worthless cop considering Cap 4 is on the horizon.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I was most definitely not expecting actual god damned rising screen star Theo James to be playing this show's big bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Adrianics posted:

I was most definitely not expecting actual god damned rising screen star Theo James to be playing this show's big bad.

He does a lot of voice work. He probably knocked it off in an afternoon or two.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Was it not the same voice actor as Dr Hemlock on Bad Batch? Sure sounded similar

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm curious if people think Captain America was out of character? I'm certainly no expert but just based on my own vague understanding sand what I'm reading elsewhere, him talking about "I can't help you until I get cleared" does not seem like a Cap thing to do.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've got mixed feelings about that. I could see it both ways given that he did tell Rogue exactly where Gyrich was and was not wrong about what it would mean if Captain America was seen assaulting a location in Mexico

Also loved that it dios de los muertos in mexico, just like it'd be mardi gras if we went to new orleans

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"What if Rogue went rogue?" Genius.

This is probably just confirmation bias but I swear Ross sounded like Hurt and Cable like Brolin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

This is probably just confirmation bias but I swear Ross sounded like Hurt and Cable like Brolin.

Hurt was long-retired (prostate cancer) by the time they started recording the show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timby posted:

Hurt was long-retired (prostate cancer) by the time they started recording the show.

I'm not saying it was them, I'm thinking that Feige wants the connection for future multiverse shenanigans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I genuinely loving hate the multiverse now (and I used to love the Exiles) but it's poisoned any discussion of any genre project.

Yes, the VA doing Ross was doing an impression of Hurt (I think Cable is just 'gruff' honestly), much like how the VA who's played Iron Man in a lot of the recent games and animated projects does a sort of loose RDJ impression, because it's a good shorthand for how the character sounds, not everything is Kevin Feige playing 4D chess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

"What if Rogue went rogue?" Genius.

Cable is voiced by the guy that did Gambit in the original series.

I see no issue with the other guest star in the episode. He's very by the book most times when it comes to issues like this especially internationally.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

live with fruit posted:

I'm not saying it was them, I'm thinking that Feige wants the connection for future multiverse shenanigans.

Yeah it obviously wasn't him, but I thought it sounded like him, too.

Though if Feige wanted to future proof for the character, he'd probably cast someone who sounded more like Harrison Ford now. So I think it's just "gruff General voice".

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
if you want future proofing im not sure tying a character to harrison ford is the best plan of action, tbh. dude is like 105 years old

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For the cameo in this episode.

It's not entirely in character for main universe Cap in comics generally or other stuff for a lot of his history but even in the comics, where he has been willing to go rogue over government orders he's not a fan of, he is still sometimes a bit poo poo about standing up for mutants and they do have X-Men point that out on occasion.

So it can swing both ways, they could have had him work with her and that'd have been fine or have it play out like they did here and both could work.

For this it worked to be like, a little cameo and understanding that they probably don't want to make a full episode that's all about a Captain America teamup when this is pretty focused on the X-Men and their grief in the wake of what happened. You can justify it as Cap going "look, I can't drop everything and go attack a compound in Mexico right now, we take a couple days, plan it out and do it right" but Rogue isn't going to be patient in this case, understandably so.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Soul Glo posted:

if you want future proofing im not sure tying a character to harrison ford is the best plan of action, tbh. dude is like 105 years old

I just meant because he's playing him in the next movie. "Future proofing" was indeed the wrong phrase, though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

...I genuinely loving hate the multiverse now (and I used to love the Exiles) but it's poisoned any discussion of any genre project.

Yes, the VA doing Ross was doing an impression of Hurt (I think Cable is just 'gruff' honestly), much like how the VA who's played Iron Man in a lot of the recent games and animated projects does a sort of loose RDJ impression, because it's a good shorthand for how the character sounds, not everything is Kevin Feige playing 4D chess.

I don't think Hurt's Ross and Brolin's Cable are on the same level as Downey's Stark. And not everything has to be multiverse but we are talking about The Multiverse Saga, and we've already had references to the cartoon in the MCU.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

X-O posted:

Cable is voiced by the guy that did Gambit in the original series.

Oh poo poo does that mean Gambit is his real dad?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Wait. What if next episode we get the introduction of Nomad, the persona Steve took on when he disagreed with the gov’t and surrendered his shield to take the gently caress off. Maybe Rogue shamed Steve so hard that he quit. I think that would be a cool turn that lets the writers have their cake and eat it too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait. What if next episode we get the introduction of Nomad, the persona Steve took on when he disagreed with the gov’t and surrendered his shield to take the gently caress off. Maybe Rogue shamed Steve so hard that he quit. I think that would be a cool turn that lets the writers have their cake and eat it too.

I kind of doubt it. I think it was just a cameo. Bringing Cap in as a major player would take some focus off the Mutants at a pretty crucial time.

On a semi-related note, I just read up on Bastion, since he's not a character I'm familiar with at all. And I came across this summation from the comics about his origin:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

What the gently caress did I just read? I feel like I know less now than I did when I started.

I guess he's part Super Sentinel? But that whole "Sentinel from another dimension, then forced through another portal to yet another dimension that spit out a sort of human" thing totally lost me.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 24, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marsupial Ape posted:

No this is the X-Men's story. We don't need Cap involved. Cap was a great choice to show there's a wider world of heroes in this world because he's exactly the person that wouldn't want to get involved in an international incident like this. Cap would go that far if it was something that was life or death, but he would respect rules in a case like this. So he's a great cameo to show us other heroes are out there but no need to involve him in the X-Men's story and take the shine off them.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I mean like in the background or something as a cameo. Not like a reoccurring character.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's pretty random if that's all they do with him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It would be cool for a second season revelation.

But, show good and does not need my punch-ups.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Weirdly, the only comic thing I've seen the villain in is the time J. Jonah Jameson, of all people, grew a pair and threatened to kick his rear end.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Regarding the cameo: Theres a whole cross over event in which Cap sided with governments against the X-Men. Rogue calling him a cop wasn't a mistake; comics Cap can be the absolute worst sometimes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I kind of doubt it. I think it was just a cameo. Bringing Cap in as a major player would take some focus off the Mutants at a pretty crucial time.

On a semi-related note, I just read up on Bastion, since he's not a character I'm familiar with at all. And I came across this summation from the comics about his origin:

"In Marvel Comics, the Master Mold absorbed the systems of an immensely powerful Sentinel prototype from another universe: Nimrod. The resulting beast was far too powerful for the X-Men to defeat, causing them to force the entity through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal that grants those who step through it a new life. Bastion emerged from this portal as Sebastion Gilberti, an ostensibly human version of the two sentinels, completely devoid of memory of the life that came before."

What the gently caress did I just read? I feel like I know less now that I did when I started.

I guess he's part Super Sentinel? But that whole "Sentinel from another dimension, then forced through another portal to yet another dimension that spit out a sort of human" thing totally lost me.

Its been a while since I read that part of the X-Men run, but the Siege Perilous is not just a portal but more like a transformational window. Nimrod went in and came out as Bastion via magic.

There’s more weird poo poo like Psylocke going in, coming out with zero memories of who she is and then getting body swapped with a Hand assassin named Kwannon whose ninja aesthetic is now we normally think of Psylocke

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Whoever predicted Bastion was being set up for the final episodes after episode 5, congrats. I guess it should have been obvious when they changed E is for Extinction to Tolerance is Extinction.

I wonder what stories they will cover in season 2. Between New X-Men and the early 90s, the only stories I can think of worth considering would be Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions, X-Cutioner's Song, and Eve of Destruction (which doesn't work after episode 5). If they more stories from New X-Men or anything that happens after. It will be interesting to see if they try to adapt House of M/Decimation or the Utopia era. I'm sure a lot of people want to see Krakoa but that probably needs a bit more set up*.

*depending on how they end this season.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They kind of did an Age of Apocalypse storyline in season 4, I'm not sure if they would do it for real now.

Episode 5 kind of was a a green light to do more modern stories, and I wouldn't be mad if they did a post Claremont storyline.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1st AD posted:

They kind of did an Age of Apocalypse storyline in season 4, I'm not sure if they would do it for real now.

Episode 5 kind of was a a green light to do more modern stories, and I wouldn't be mad if they did a post Claremont storyline.

The intro sequence this episode showed the Wolverine and Storm from that not-AoA universe. They might decide to split the difference and bring them back as part of whatever Cable's plan is.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious if people think Captain America was out of character? I'm certainly no expert but just based on my own vague understanding sand what I'm reading elsewhere, him talking about "I can't help you until I get cleared" does not seem like a Cap thing to do.

It's really not out of character for him -- He's never anti-mutant or anything, but he certainly doesn't like doing any actual legwork for them or putting his neck out for them like 95% of the time. I legitimately can't even remember if he's ever even fought a sentinel, let alone actually been a meaningful part of defending mutants in any way but lip service. The whole "Can't help you until I get cleared" is pretty in character in that mutants don't rank as high as most of the stuff that he'd willingly ignore orders for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Burginator posted:

It's really not out of character for him -- He's never anti-mutant or anything, but he certainly doesn't like doing any actual legwork for them or putting his neck out for them like 95% of the time. I legitimately can't even remember if he's ever even fought a sentinel, let alone actually been a meaningful part of defending mutants in any way but lip service. The whole "Can't help you until I get cleared" is pretty in character in that mutants don't rank as high as most of the stuff that he'd willingly ignore orders for.

Yeah the MCU Captain America is a different character altogether, this Steve Rogers is not the same guy.

I kind of hope they don't bring this show into the MCU, I like that it's in its own timeline. Disney can always just bring the X-Men characters into live action for the MCU, just keep this show out of that timeline.

This show is good enough that I signed up for the Marvel Unlimited app and have been catching up on stuff that came out post Astonishing X-Men