Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Ironheart - 2022?

Dominique Thorne is genius inventor Riri Williams in Ironheart, an Original Series about the creator of the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man. Guaranteed to make chuds froth at the mouth.

There must be a little chud in me, because I'm not sure how to feel about Ironheart. Specifically, I'm torn on the fact Tony Stark had several possible successors already present in the MCU between Pepper, Morgan, Rhodey, Harley Keener and Peter Parker, yet it's someone completely unconnected and not seen before in that MCU that's going to be the next MCU Iron armour user. It kind of has to be though, I suppose. Pepper was never interested in it, as cool as I think the Rescue armor and the idea of a suit that's not focused on offense at all is (though the Rescue armor in Endgame doesn't show this off regardless), Morgan is way too young to be doing it for another 10 years or more in the MCU without some time shenanigans, which I'd prefer they avoid anyway, Rhodey isn't an engineer and already is getting focus in the "Armor Wars" show and Peter is only Tony's successor in a spiritual sense, and was never going to be another armor user. Which leaves Harley. Who, I enjoyed in "Iron-Man 3", but I'm not sure how other people felt about him and doesn't have anything major going for him regardless. I'm quite happy to see him as someone Tony inspired in general, rather than to be a hero specifically. It's also not like the next armor user has to be connected to him personally anyway, and not just someone his life inspired by proxy, rather than direct contact.

I'd probably be more torn on this if Rhodey wasn't getting focus, honestly. As is though, I can't wait for "Armor Wars" and I just hope that the writing uses the fact Rhodey is crippled outside of the armor in some fashion. I don't even mind him getting a spine implant or maybe bionic legs or something, but I hope there's some scenes of him dealing with the fact he needs those things or maybe losing them for a short while at his lowest point so that he has to struggle without them near the climax or something.

That aside, the one I'm probably most looking forward to is "She-Hulk", which I'm really hoping leans in to comedy of the character and the 4th wall breaking aspect John Byrne made a large part of his run, as well as the weird law cases that she generally got involved in between that run and Sloth's run of the comics. I know Deadpool generally has a lock on the 4th wall stuff these days in the comics, but I always enjoyed the silliness of that in the She-Hulk comics too, like Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway having long boxes full of past issues of Marvel comics as evidence for various trials she was involved in. I did like her as a Bounty Hunter with Jazinda (a Skrull) too, in a more action oriented run from what little I saw of it since I was starting to drop out of comics by that point, but it sounds like the run will focus mostly on her as a lawyer and I'm really excited for that.

On the other hand, "Secret Wars" is probably the one show I'm not looking forward to, just because I detest the idea of a story whose core premise is "You know these characters we've spent years building up? Yea, some of them are just fakes, and we're going to have them be spies for something else that was barely relevant until now, so we can retcon the characters". It's possible that the show will do the story justice, or that it won't even use that and will only have Skrulls replace a handful of characters recently or something, but it's definitely not a story or show I'm looking forward to regardless.

Edit: I haven't read any of the comics in more than 10 years at this point, and it seems like the TVA is a new thing there. Is it supposed to evoke the Living Tribunal in general, or am I just imagining that based on vague recollections of older material? Also, is Sam actually confirmed to be inheriting the shield and becoming a new Cap at some point? I assume the show is about that, but it seems strange that he spends the entire trailer solely as The Falcon, and there's not even a promotional shot of him with a redesigned outfit wearing the shield or anything that I can recall.

Just looking at this again, it seems strange that Kamala has a poster of Carol on her wall and is presumably directly inspired by her in the story too, just like in the comics and yet Carol will barely have been visible to anyone on Earth in the MCU by the point the show airs. I wonder how they'll make her relevant to Kamala in the show. Are they just gonna imply she's been active a lot more on Earth at some point than we've seen or something? Also, watching the trailer for it again, there's a good bit more of the adaptation in it than I had remembered from a few days ago. I'm looking forward to a trailer for it in a few months, and seeing how they adapt her origins. Will they go with terragenesis, or ignore the Inhumans now that they have the X-Men again?

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only disappointment about Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk is that it means Stephanie Beatriz isn't playing her, but she dropped out of contention before that anyway, due to filming Brooklyn 99 when She-Hulk would be filming so that's more than understandable. On the other hand, it means that she's now rumored to be up for consideration in a female adaptation of Ghost Rider, and that sounds amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Stephanie Beatriz would have been an interesting choice as She-Hulk, although I’ve not seen her do drama.

She-Hulk will hopefully be mostly a comedy show anyway. She-Hulk's best comics have all been pretty comedic in nature, and several entire runs of them have leaned in that direction, so it wouldn't be unusual for them to adapt it to be comedy show rather than a drama show. They've already stated it'll be about her as a lawyer trying cases, and implied it'll probably be guest starring a bevy of other MCU characters for the trials in each episode; so the implication is certainly it'll go in that direction. I would be surprised if you didn't have minor or more comic villains like Justin Hammer appearing, or Jen trying to get Ant-man's charges dropped or something. There'll probably be at least one case involving a cosmic force or dimensional being of some kind too, if the comics are any indication; though they may leave that till a second season. It might be more of a dramedy I guess, but it's not like Stephanie Beatriz hasn't done some dramatic acting on Brooklyn 99 despite it being primarily a comedy show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Has Ms Marvel even started shooting? (I think we can be sure She-Hulk hasn't if only because Ruffalo would've let it slip by now)

There's some footage spliced in amongst the segments of the actress being told she got the part, the crew talking about why they love the character etc. in the brief trailer they aired during the investor meeting so it's definitely been in filming. You get brief shots of her and a boy looking at what seems to be a costume, the two of them on a roof talking, her lying on a bed with a poster of Carol on the wall and her interacting with her father at the kitchen table as she's getting ready to head out from what I recall. There's only ever a second or two of footage at a time, but it's there. It and Hawkeye are the two shows we've known are coming for a while that don't have a full on trailer yet, but we got some snippets of footage for Ms. Marvel, so that's presumably further along in production and will probably come before Hawkeye.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I realize they want to keep building hype, but I wish they'd stop releasing trailers at this point, because they're all pretty much identical. There's a few seconds of new footage here or there, but all of it is of a similar look and despite them releasing a new trailer what feels like every other day at this point, I don't feel like I've seen anything new in months. If they want to do something to keep up hype you'd imagine they'd release the credits, or the first few minutes of episode one or something. Just to be putting out something that's different.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's safe to say that whatever is causing the reality around Wanda is also making her into a specific character. Her accent will probably change with each Sitcom Era.

A simpler explanation is that she wants to fit in, and has concsioucly chosen to lose the accent to do so. The fact she [trailer spoilers]magics Vision in to a normal human man, magics up rings etc. to fit in just supports the fact she's changing herself to blend in to the new environment she's found herself in. Also, going off the comics, there's a reasonably good chance Wanda herself is the one causing reality to warp around her, even if she doesn't recognize it yet. The fact she doesn't find Vision being alive weird going by the trailers already means she's ignoring reality to accommodate her own wishes. Which, frankly, is the more interesting direction to go in anyway; rather than having it be an external villain messing with her in some fashion. It's also kind of hard to imagine how giving Wanda a superficially perfect life that spans through several eras helps anyone's goals but her own, too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 9, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It could have been worse, they could have deep dived on Italian Spider-Man.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Victorkm posted:

But also, Wanda could be creating and running the bubble, since she seems able to rewind time.

She basically has to be, because when the Sword Beekeeper emerged from the sewers, after apparently bashing his way in to whatever's going on, she takes on a completely different stance/tone, like some deeper awareness was at work, refused to accept that something was going to disturb her new reality and just magics it away, rewinding time and adjusting things so that not only did the beekeeper not arrive, but that all the weirdness she'd noticed earlier in the day (i.e. color) was now normal. If this Vision isn't real, and I don't think he is, then I do wonder if their kids (presumably Speed and Wiccan) seen in the trailers will be real either. One would assume not, given the method of their inception, and speed of the pregnacy. It's magic though, so who knows. Or if they'll simply disappear after the reality is burst, rather than becoming a new element of the MCU going forward. And if they are, can Vision, already questioning what's going on, make himself a real boy by force of will. Or can Wanda keep Vision and/or the kids, while the rest fades.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Digital Jedi posted:

Am disappointed by the run time. Was really hoping for longer. drat Disney+ having 10minutes of end credits to give false hope

One thing I enjoyed about both episodes is that they put a little clue on the mystery of the show in after the main episode has wrapped and just before the credits sequence, which makes it feel analogous to the credits stuff in the movies. I love what the whole thing says about Wanda too, presuming that she's the one creating and trapping herself. She presumably grew up watching old reruns of shows like Bewitched on television in Sokovia, so views it as an ideal life because it's what she saw as happiness in her youth.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I suspect the reasoning they did two episodes of old black and white sitcoms is that they wanted one episode in pure black and white where everything is mostly normal and clues to the abnormality of it only emerge at the end, and also wanted to put in a thing where Wanda sees hints of color around the place before everything becomes colorful at the end and thought that worked best as two seperate episodes, since if there was hints of color in episode one it'd throw off the feeling of normality and make it less of a simple pastiche until near the end of the episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mochiballs posted:

I liked both episodes but sometimes the aesthetic felt just a little off to me. Sometimes the camera's a bit too dynamic or Wanda's clothing is a just a smidge too modern, but really just small things. I'm totally hooked.

Her outfit in the second episode is explicitly off, and she gets called out for it. She's wearing pants for one thing, while everyone else is wearing a dress. The cut of the whole outfit is quite modern regardless, but it's obviously meant to stand out; presumably to make her look out of place, and be one more abnormal thing about the whole scenario.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zooted heh posted:

I think the only reason ppl are bringing up them up is because MODOK has been used as the main villain in the marvel avengers video game that came out a few months ago.

I'd think M.O.D.O.K. might also be in the spotlight because Hulu has a stop motion series coming up soon about M.O.D.O.K. and his family, where M.O.D.O.K. is the main character (voiced by Patton Oswalt) and has to try to gain back control of A.I.M. after it's bought out from under him by a competing corporation called GRUMBL (or maybe G.R.U.M.B.L. I guess), while also balancing his family life.

I don't believe there's been a release date set yet, but I've heard a few people on podcasts and poo poo talk about it, so I'd presume there's some knowledge about the character and the show, and some degree of hype in people looking forward to a sillier new Marvel project, even if it's not part of the MCU or on Disney+.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 16, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

There's a shot in some of the trailers of Wanda and Vision both holding one baby as they sit on the couch, if I recall.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Look, the MCU is straight enough, let us have a gay wizard and a lesbian robot.

What? Did I miss something?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, I thought you were referring to Wanda and Vision themselves in some weird way. I've never even heard of Viv though. Then again, I haven't read Marvel comics in 15 odd years at this point, after getting burned out on speeding upwards of a €100 or €150 a month on comics, and things resetting or dropping interesting stories on a regular basis. That aside, you're almost definitely getting a gay wizard baby so that's one half of it. Whether that gay wizard baby survives the ending of the show is another thing entirely, since he may just be a dream of a gay wizard baby. As is whether that gay wizard baby is even relevant in a decade or so when the plot of the films or shows will have moved on enough to have aged them up enough to be usable as a dramatic actor in the story of the wider universe. At which point you have to hope the people paying to produce it are comfortable allowing the gay wizard teen to be gay, since they might find that too fantastical in a story with wizards, gods etc

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 17, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Boxman posted:

Did the thread notice this? i'm not sure I saw it mentioned.

https://twitter.com/CapnRgers/status/1350516728720027649?s=20

Was it a location in Avengers 2 or something? Strucker's base?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Test Pattern posted:

Because no one anywhere has ever cared about Thomas, I suspect they'll have one boy one girl, one magic, one robot. Even odds there will be reason in the show or Multiverse of Madness that they grow up fast enough to hang with the new teens (Kate, Kamala, Riri) were getting in phase 4.

I don't know, I'd think there's a good chance Thomas is in just because it gives homage to Quicksilver as her dead brother given he's a speedster too. As is though, if they're going to have them come out of it, I'd imagine it'll be just by dint of rapid growth so they'll have infants in the 70's pastiche, but they'll probably be young kids by the 90's for the Full House style one and teens by the more modern stuff. Wanda did become 6 or 7 months pregnant in seconds after all, so it wouldn't be shocking if the kids age between episodes or even scenes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was just watching the latest episode of Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin's YouTube podcast (vidcast?) and they pointed out that Wanda's first line is "My husband and his indescribable head", while Vision died because Thanos found Vision's head very destructible; so she's rearranging reality from the off to make sure Vision can't be taken from her the same way again, even before she settles on her wedding anniversary or anything in this new reality. Or rather, someone in the chat for their show pointed it out, and they commented on it. Which is a neat detail..

Also, they were bringing up the "No more mutants" line from House of M, and it made me wonder if we'll get some kind of analogue as a way for Wanda to get her kids back because they disappear as part of the dream at the end of this, given it's some kind of fake reality; with the consequences of that wish loving up the MCU for the next while. Alternately, does she end up creating an entirely new dimension (or dimensions), or diving in to other dimensions as a way to find her kids again in yet more grief driven action at the end of this and leading in to all the multiversal shenanigans in the MCU going forward?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, it'll obviously be Nic Cage.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There can't be much more to know, since Wanda's total on-screen time is 20 minutes total before this, apparently and Vision would have even less.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

badjohny posted:

I know it is all speculation at this point, but giving the clues that have been found this might lead to something. The Russo brothers have said multiple times this is the next event they would want to do.

https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-wat...7TrN3lJyPyAYV6I

I thought the Russo's were done in the MCU now, and the next big villain was all but confirmed to be Kang the Conqueror; with an appearance in Ant-Man and setup to have the Young Avengers, who are tied to his origin if I recall between Wanda's upcoming kids, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Cassie as a teen in the next Ant-Man etc. Also, I thought that watches were typically set to 10:10 in marketing to make the hands look like a smile rather than for symmetry?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stev posted:

That... seems like a weird thing for the trailers to give away.

Anyone who has seen Infinity War or Endgame knows that Vision is dead. The fact he's alive in Wandavision is explicitly meant to be weird, and clue you in to the fact something more is going on. Watching the trailers again, I'm more curious where Wanda and Vision's "This is our home", "Then let's fight for it exchange" is meant to take place. It's presumably one of the final episodes, but it frames their actions as that of heroes fighting against an external force and this episode definitely leaned in to the idea that Wanda is the villain. Any time anyone gets too close to her secret, she changes them to prevent it happening and she ejected Monica off-screen. Which is actually shown in the trailers; with Monica speeding through the air before busting out through the wall of reality in to the real world. Vision slowly realizing that there's something wrong seems like it's the direction of the show, so will he force Wanda to kill him again? Or just to end the illusion she's forcing everyone else to live through, and to confront her grief properly; leading in to Dr. Strange 2?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

eke out posted:

it seems like Wanda's doing this as an elaborate coping mechanism, and while she's obviously hosed up here, the real villain will be Hydra/Strucker/someone else who's trying to exploit her or somehow taking advantage of her reality warping. so there can still be a moment where she comes back to the real world and they turn against the actual villain

probably will end up being very wrong, but I feel like that could explain the Hydra/Strucker ads: if they're somehow influencing her to change reality to make Hydra not gone in her fake world, maybe they hope she could do it to the entire world

I hope not, since besides that not explaining the Stark Toaster ad in the first episode, I just think it's more interesting if Wanda is the villain of the show. As is, the ads don't seem like they're meant to be real in setting, as in something Wanda or the other residents see or know about and seem more like goofy ways to play upon her history and the wider MCU as a whole. That said, the first ad for the Stark Toaster did have one beat where the two actors were waiting for the toast to pop where they were silently grinning at the camera for a second or two in a slightly awkward manner like they were being forced. That could just be meant to play up the cheesiness of the era's ads though, rather than mean anything in and of itself.

One other thing I found interesting looking at the trailers again is that [episode 3 spoilers]when Wanda asks Monica who she is, Monica in the trailer has a really confused "I don't know" response, while she seems to know who she is and be trying to infiltrate Wanda's reality in the episode as is. I wonder if there was a slight change in plans at some point. Or if maybe Monica was losing herself in the new reality despite stepping in there with a specific purpose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Klungar posted:

Yeah, but the Skrull’s seem to be working for Fury since they were providing his cover on Earth while he’s away. I’d figure SWORD having alien agents would make sense in the MCU, and with how Agents of Shield ended.

It's also a much better ending to have a group of Skrulls start working with humans to protect a new home than to go "yeah, humanity isn't ready for these new people yet; better have them go someplace else entirely".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

To be honest, in Endgame, Steve's therapy group was the only conceit that really clicked, was consistent with the character, and didn't seem overly-cliched; the rest was a bit trite and skimmed over.

I hate that the major beat in Endgame is basically "if you gently caress up then don't actually try to get over it or make things better going forward; just use magic to undo your mistakes!". Even Steve tells Natasha that he tells people to move on, but can't do it himself. Endgame was great as a popcorn flick, but that one element always undercuts it so badly for me.

NowonSA posted:

I remember reading a crazy marvel-novel when I was a kid that involved Mojoworld and I think there's plenty of potential to do an interesting show with that setting/character. However, f they aren't going to do it in Wandavision with it explicitly tying in to T.V. shows throughout history then I doubt they'll do it anytime soon, since I recall Mojo tying in significantly to the use of television/the media.

Mojo is basically a media mogul, yeah, and uses television as a way to pacify the people of his dimension. He captured the X-Men to make them the stars of his latest line of television shows because he was running out of things people would enjoy, and basically kept loving with them as ways to raise ratings because good ratings gave him political power.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What are your guys thoughts that the show is going to involve Mephisto?

I don't think he'll be anything more than a reference, at the moment, because I think the show is leaning in to the use of Wanda as the villain of the story. Even Agatha seems like she's a red herring, and will either just have the character's name or will be trapped like everyone else even if she has power of her own.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mojo's original design is probably kind of awkward anyway, since he's basically a big slug thing like Jabba the Hutt, sat in a set of robotic spider legs with a big scorpion tail thing. He'd probably get redesigned just to be easier to work with on a television budget. Plus, the original idea of him as a member of an alternate dimension and only looking to control his own dimension is somewhat unusual too. It'd probably be easier to make him an at least vaguely human alien looking to control planets using television shows to pacify people, and becoming a threat to Earth rather than just abducting Earth heroes in to his own dimension.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jivjov posted:

If DC can turn one of their lead heroines into a literal rapist for a film, then Marvel can have Comics Satan for one

Has anyone from DC, Warner Bros. or the movie staff actually commented on this, out of interest?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

I don't think there will be somebody/something actually controlling Wanda to do this. It all seems to personal to her. There might well be some entity subtly influencing her - perhaps the "devil" that Agnes mentioned in Episode 2.

I don't see how someone could be controlling her, given that she demonstrably has control of the situation. Influencing, sure, but I don't see how it's possible someone could be controlling her, yet she's the one acting to prevent anyone changing the bubble she's living in in ways that she doesn't approve of.

Gavok posted:

Then she wouldn't need a bunch of people mindlessly repeating "FOR THE CHILDREN" at her.

Those people, or at least their actions, may be a reflection of her subconscious. Which, given that after she became pregnant she just accepted it rather than erasing it, she has to have some desire to have kids.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 25, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Vision seems too befuddled to actually be alive. He's only starting to question the oddities around him, like what the company he works for does etc. but is still blindly accepting of other things, and Wanda has no problem simply rewinding him to stop him coming to a full realization. If he's alive, then Wanda is basically torturing him too. Which I very much doubt, since the entire reason for the illusion seems to be to create a happy life with him in the first place.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont feel like she's in complete control, a part of her definitely is but not her conscious mind, she seems as confused at times as everyone else. I wonder if the weirdness at the end is what's pushing the show into the newer genres. Something happens that starts to make Wanda wake a little so the part of her that's constructing this reality changes things to try and find a setting she's less likely to question.

She's only confused looking when it's innocuous oddities. As soon as anything threatens to blow the strangeness of her new reality she immediately drops any hint of confusion, and both acts and speaks in a different, more confident manner. Rejecting the thing threatening to destroy what's around her, and then shifting back to her somewhat bemused character. Only, it lasted a bit longer this episode after ejecting Geraldine from Westview, because she still has a somewhat ominous tone of voice when Vision comes in and seems fully aware of what happened. If she's confused then it seems to be either an act, or purposefully clouding her own mind and only allowing her real persona out when something is threatening her new reality. I don't feel like it's someone else clouding her perceptions, because the timing of her taking control and then going back to a slightly confused persona is too convenient to be on the part of someone else.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mage_Boy posted:

Since we know that this series connects to Multiverse of madness is it possible that they changed Wanda's backstory now that they own Fox? So instead of the mind stone giving her powers, it gave her the mind of an alternate universe Scatlet Witch which then somehow gave her powers?

Christ I hope not; that's the kind of horribly convoluted bullshit I'd expect out of the worst of the comics and if the movies have done anything well, it's to streamline all the really needlessly complex elements of the comics to make them more presentable.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, the change of perspective is going to be from [episode 4 spoilers]Monica Rambeau and SWORD's perspective, by the looks of things; starting from when they discover the town and presumably going right up until the finale of last week. Which should shed a good bit of light on the setup for the show, even if not on what Wanda specifically wants or anything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

so is Monica the only competent SWORD agent? because looks like they brought in the comic relief from Antman & Wasp, and Thor for this mission

Well, the other option is that just like Wandavision is expanding on the characters of Wanda and Vision a lot more than either ever got in the film, the characters we see in SWORD will get a lot more to do than they did in their respective films. I wouldn't be holding my breath though, honestly, since [episode 4 speculation based on spoilers]Monica will probably be the main point of view character for a lot of it, given they presumably want to set her up as a character in her own right, either to act as support in future Captain Marvel films or maybe even make her a hero in her own right. The conditions of this, with a weird magnetic interference field and magic from the infinity stones at play seem like they might be what empowers Monica as Spectrum.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have a simple solution: don't read the thread for a week if you don't like the topic of conversation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I very much doubt that the show is finished with the sitcom format at this point anyway. They've only done the 50's, 60's and 70's so far and we know there's at least some 90's and 00's homages to things like Full House to go. It's more likely the next 4 episodes will each homage another decade with a superficial sitcom format but with some more oddity occuring, similar to the way episode 3 played out rather than being dedicated entirely to the sitcom aspect like episodes 1 and 2 and that only the final episode will have no sitcom element.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

massive spider posted:

The way they were watching the broadcast seemed really unrealistic (I'm talking about character decisions before someone points out that yes, the whole thing is unrealistic), this is their only viewpoint into whats happening in the town, if they can pull every genius they can onto it you'd think there would be like, 100 CRT TVs stacked up and every hand in the room watching the show details obsessively. Especially when they try to interfere with the broadcast. And snarky expert lady is really bad at spotting the obvious read that Wanda looks visibly disturbed by intrusions and that is relevant and potentially dangerous

It'd be even more unrealistic if they could find 100 CRT TVs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jivjov posted:

My guess is that the further sitcom episodes will either be interspersed with Outside stuff, or the sitcom episodes will be more heavily intruded on--everything is still in sitcom world, but with way more weird radio voices and crashed helicopter drones

My guess is that openly admitting that Wanda is the villain of this piece now just acts to confirm that someone is trying to influence or manipulate her for their own ends honestly. Which, at least on paper sounds less interesting, but could still be fun depending on how they handle it. So the remaining episodes will probably build up more the mystery around who or what else is at play in Westview, rather than just around what's happening with Wanda. Or it could be that it'll concentrate more on Vision's experience trying to piece together what's going on, whether he's real or not etc. This episode pulled back a curtain, but there could still be more curtains to pull basically.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dubar posted:

I completely disagree. They haven't done anything to indicate that someone else is in control of the situation, and I think its just Wanda and her grief driving the whole thing. The zombie vision shot seems to imply that vision is, in fact, still dead, so it seems probable that she's doing some sort of Weekend at Bernie's shenanigans. The implication at the end of the episode that they can not actually go anywhere else seems to suggest that it is the proximity to vision's body that is making it all possible, so if there is a "big bad" that has yet to be revealed, it could be someone that is trying to use Vision to reverse engineer a new Ultron (hence the references), but I'm pretty sure the whole point of this series is to make it absolutely clear just how powerful Wanda is, which to me means that she is not being manipulated by anyone.

Control is a very different thing to manipulation or influence. I definitely agree that Wanda is the one in control, but I do think it's plausible someone else is trying to direct her power in some manner within this reality. Wanda seeing Vision's dead head at the end seems like just that to me...a vision. Of Vision. Not her seeing his actual body as she puppets it around or something. A symbol of her grief, that now that she's been forced to confront reality for a second she's seeing Vision as he would be i.e. dead, not as she wants him to be. I doubt she has his actual body though. Why would she need his body when she can create babies out of thin air? And rewind or rewrite this new reality to her liking. It just seems like a needlessly grim detail that she'd have to puppet around his corpse. Which even if it were true, there'd be no reason she couldn't move his body outside Westview or move them to somewhere else.

The "no, we can't go anywhere else" line to me sounds more like Wanda saying that she's tied herself to Westview, which is presented immediately afterwards as an emotional tie, but could also be a logistical tie and that what she's set up can't be replicated anywhere else for some reason. Which could be that it took a lot of effort on her part, since it can't be easy to make a town essentially disappear like that, rewriting reality on a local level to become a television show as well as make herself selectively forget what's happening; fogging her own mind so she can enjoy the life she wants until it's threatened. Alternately, she could be working with someone else and letting an external force cloud her mind when convenient so she can do something. Or maybe someone else set Westview up for her and that's why they can't leave? A Faustian deal for a happy life. Hell, that could be how to bring Mephisto or a Mephisto style character in to the story and harken back to what the comics apparently did. A devil wanted her to spawn kids, she wanted a happy life with Vision. Hence all the creepy "for the kids" stuff in episode 2.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Firebert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywz0neBdJzI

Another teaser went up, looks excellent though I hope they don’t focus too hard on the action. I loved the opening of episode four, and the unraveling mystery, I don’t need an Avengers-style 3rd act.

I mean, that teaser certainly seems to be setting up Vision coming in to conflict with Wanda. What with him questioning what's happening, him trying to leave Westview before collapsing and then a final shot of him and Wanda taking fighting stance as they start to float while facing each other. Which, I can't say as this show is something I expected a lot of action out of it but I can't say the shot of Wanda's profile breaking the electromagnetic barrier as SWORD looks on wondering what's coming through isn't exciting either. Mostly though I'm excited for Vision's quest to become a real boy. Or at least to understand what's going on. Seems like it could be fun, even if it ends with him and Wanda facing off. That said, I do think the fact Wanda says during this "I'm not sure how this all started" does imply there's more than her powers at work. It could just be a symptom of her mind being clouded by sitcom happiness at work again though, as a misdirect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

I think it would be equally valid to have Vision back alive by the end, but the damage to his and Wanda’s relationship being too severe for them to continue as a couple. That’s somehow even more heartbreaking.

I think this is the direction the show is heading personally, if only because I can't see Disney killing Vision twice. It feels too cruel, really. Plus, if the kids are to continue as characters after this show (which they may not, but it seems likely) then it only makes sense that Vision manages to come out of it alive too. Just so disgusted by what Wanda did, not just to the town of Westview, but to him personally, wiping his memories and erasing anything she didn't like about him to make him a perfect partner that there's an irreconcilable difference between the two. As is, we know from promos for the next episode or two that Vision starts questioning the nature of what's happening and seems to come in to conflict with Wanda over it. Which would imply that even if he manages to live that it'd be a point of contention between the two afterwards, since it's not like that would just go away. Or at least, creates a tear in their relationship that could be explored over the course of the rest of Phase 4+ and maybe eventually allow them to retire together after a while as a happy ending the way Steve and Tony both got some kind of happy endings after much strife throughout the first 3 phases of the MCU.