Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
drat, between these shows and the next slate of movies, it looks like there's basically two main themes:

Passing of the Torch:
With ones like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Moonknight, She-Hulk, IronHeart, etc... we get a new set of heroes filling the same/similar slots the Phase 1-3 guys did.

Time and Dimensional Shenanigans:
Wandavisnion, Loki, What If...?, and the casting rumors and confirmations for Spider-Man 3 and Dr.Strange 2, we're going to see some (hopefully) cool time and multiverse poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tsob posted:

I realize they want to keep building hype, but I wish they'd stop releasing trailers at this point, because they're all pretty much identical. There's a few seconds of new footage here or there, but all of it is of a similar look and despite them releasing a new trailer what feels like every other day at this point, I don't feel like I've seen anything new in months. If they want to do something to keep up hype you'd imagine they'd release the credits, or the first few minutes of episode one or something. Just to be putting out something that's different.

Marvel: Releases new Wandavision trailer.
Wanda: We ARE an UnuSuAL CouPle.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but Agnes is being telegraphed as Agatha Harkness. Abbreviation of her name, appears in a witch costume in one of the trailers, and Auntie A's Kitty Litter appears in the animated opening.

Yeah, I've seen multiple places speculate that The main villain/entity trapping Wanda is Mephisto. At first I thought some of the evidence might be iffy, but I'm leaning towards it. Agnes babe Agatha Harkness, the line in episode 2 about the devil is in the details, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Hoping all the theories of multiverse stuff don't pan out, the idea of this being more about straightforward trauma are a lot more interesting imo. Heck, I'd love it if SWORD ends up being a begin agency trying to pull her out of whatever catatonic world she's made for herself.

While the giant comic nerd in me wants absolute insanity in regards to multiverse/alternate timelines, I seriously doubt anything MAJOR will occur in this series (or Loki) since they do have Dr.Strange 2 "The Multiverse of Madness" coming up (and also possibly the MCU Spider-Man 3 that is rumored to almost sort of be MCU's version of "Into the Spider-Verse.")

I just don't think Disney is going to produce a movie where you have to have seen this TV show first to understand it.

So while maybe some minor plot point (like the multiverse as it exists in the comics*) or villain is introduced, I don't think we'll get much to it, and whatever it might be, it will almost certainly get RE-introduced in Dr.Strange 2 to the benefit of those that didn't watch this series.

*By which I mean, we already know there is some sort of multiverse already thanks to Dr.Strange. We know there's the Dark Dimension, the Mirror Realm, and a few other that The Ancient One had Strange's consciousness travel through at the start of the first Dr.Strange. But, like a lot of others, I'm hoping/assuming that it'll be more like the various dimensions in the Comics, with the current MCU being the "standard" one like 616, and having others like the Ultimate, Marvel Zombies, all the various realities from the What If?... series, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Marvel have put up a clip from tomorrow's episode, and it's a little spoilery. They're going full Modern Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAk32wCK18g

I wonder if one of the kids saying his head is weird means anything. Like...if they are created via her powers, and she is straining her powers to the limit in expanding her Hex, is it threatening their existence?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Regarding people who wanted Wanda to be the ACTUAL villain, not not someone else like Agatha as this episode tells is or at least heavily implies, I can defiantly see a line by Agatha, delivered in the most Katherine Hahn way possible, where she says something to the effect of:

"Oh Honey, I may have poked the bear, but lets be absolutely clear here...you're still the bear, k?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My Face When posted:

A Knight's Tale is a top 20 if not top 10 for me.

Alan Tudyk is great in it too and I saw the Black Knight was in Man in High Castle as a Nazi and I thought that was perfect for him.

And the far squire is King Robert from GoT.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

enki42 posted:

It was sort of dumb that 8-10 year olds were watching Yo Gabba Gabba, but I'd chalk that up to the writers not having a good sense of what 10 year olds would watch (or someone wanted to just include a reference and didn't care about how realistic it was).

It could also be handwaved away as Agnus/Agatha not liking children (remember, she DID biter a child once) just not knowing what kids of that age watch.

"Your kids, right? You like kid shows? Here, watch this."

Sivart13 posted:

Having more stuff explicitly deal with the consequences of the snap/blip makes me excited. Kind of like when it seemed like the Netflix marvel series were going to deal a bit with the aftermath of the Battle of New York (but instead only made the slightest passing references to other events outside of the show)
I just thought up a dumb analogy for "but why not twice the resources?" never sat well with me.

As far as I can tell, the only aftermath the Netflix series' showed was that it allowed Hell's Kitchen, and possibly other areas of NYC, to transition back to the gritty, crime-filled neighborhood it was in the 70's/80's that every loving NY writer fetishizes over, even if they were too young to actually remember/experience it.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 23, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The zombie virus was also introduced into that world by an alternate dimension-travelling Sentry, who was meant to be strongly implied to actually be a zombie Superman but they couldn't make it subtle enough.

And if I remember correctly, (spoilers for a 10+ year old comic series?)

The "solution" to keep the Marvel Zombies from infecting a "safe" universe was for The Watchers to send an infected-Sentry to the universe the zombies came from, as a self-fulfilling time/cross-dimensional loop sort of thing. Breaking their rule to "only watch" (that they loving break all the time) because if the Zombies got into every universe and ate everything, there wouldn't be anything to watch.

As far as Vision getting infected, it's clear that it's not a "regular" zombie virus/disease like Walking Dead or Day/Dawn of the Dead or even a 28 Days later style virus. It's a weird super-natural infection that can make anything that has pi]some[i] sort of "living tissue" a zombie-type creature.

The heroes that become zombies also have MOST of their original powers, and most of their intelligence/reasoning, with the exception that they have an almost unrelenting* desire to feed on other living tissue.

*At one point it's revealed that if a zombie waits long enough (weeks? months?) the desire DOES go away and they become rational beings who no longer need to feed, though I think there's still a LITTLE bit of that desire so it still takes some willpower. Like the comics showed that a zombie-fied Black Panther had enough willpower to no longer feed, and I think Spider-Man too, but I think the Hulk still wanted to eat? It's also confusing because a group of like 6 heroes also eat Silver Surfer and Galactus and gain the Power Cosmic, and in addition to being Zombies, they also have whatever Galactus has that compels him to eat worlds, and they become the NEW Galactus, after a fashion.

And there were a few minor infections from the Zombies into the "main" 616 universe, but they did find some sort of cure/cures and stop it from spreading. Some people are immune (if they are 100% a robot, like Ultron) or have MASSIVE power (I think The Aquarian was immune because he could "hibernate" with the Cosmic Cube power and purge himself?)

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 23, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

We should just have actual magic and not the weird "This is actually highly advanced science" I forget why they went with that; iirc had to do with something about China having restrictions with things involving supernatural or not wanting to be compared to Harry Potter or some poo poo

We do have actual Magic.

They started with Thor's,
"Well, our magic is just fancy technology, and Asgard isn't a realm, per se, it's more like a small planet" for the first couple of his movies because at first, it seemed like the MCU wanted to be slightly more grounded. Probably trying to ape the most recent batman films that were also trying to be more realistic.

But Dr.Strange put actual magic into the MCU, and I think they've also quasi-retconned that yes, some of what we see in Asgard/the Thor movies are MAGIC-magic, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You think Bucky, former WWII "special ops" equivalent soldier, turned mindless ruthless super-soldier assassin, turned "regular" super soldier, but still a bit ruthless, ever really REALLY hates that he is still called Bucky?

Like...drat, I know the comics started him off as a literal teen boy sidekick and it was the 40's so a "cutesy poo" nickname wasn't out of place, but you'd think at this point he'd snap and just be like,
"My name is loving JAMES, ok? I'm not a 12 year old boy!"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The whole "super soldier serum/process" thing is also weird.

It was only successful once, with Steve, then Erskine was murdered and no one knew the secrets.

Until it was reverse-engineered during the cold war with Bucky.

And then reverse-engineered AGAIN by Stark in the early 90's, and then stolen and used to create more "Winter Soldiers" that Zemo then killed when he infiltrated the facility.

So where did Bucky's formula come from, and why weren't their more Soviet Super Soldiers from his era ?(Not sure if they gave a date, but I think it was late 50's or 60's when he was found by the Soviet Union?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I always thought Bucky got his ersatz super soldier serum when he was Zola's prisoner during WW2, and that's how he survived the fall.

I guess his wiki says he got a little bit of experimentation when he was Zola's prisoner, and that allowed him to survive the fall and stay "alive" while frozen in a river, and then further experimentation by the Soviet-arm of HYDRA.

So still no firm answers on where they got their versions of super solider serum from, other than I guess reverse-engineered by Zola and other HYDRA scientists probably from a combo of samples from Red Skull and Cap, if he left, like, blood somewhere. And maybe a little bit of help from when they briefly had the Tesseract/Space Stone?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it odd that the only appearance of US Agent in any of the trailers is that scene on the stage. Almost all of the combat stuff seems to be Bucky/Falcon vs. Flag Smasher/goons/Baron Zemo

Isn't that part of the point of US Agent? At least from what little I remember in the comics, isn't he mostly supposed to be a "show piece" for the military so everyone "back home" is all "Rah rah let's kill brown people?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Ultimates is certainly hit and miss, but I really liked Ultimate Fantastic Four. Does that make me terrible?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Teek posted:

Its strange, because I saw a lot of people hyped about her appearance, but this was the first thing I am ever cognizant of seeing her in. I guess I just haven't watched her past shows. :shrug:

This is just from memory, but I'm not sure if she's ever been the lead in a show or movie. I think her biggest role was one of her earliest, the receptionist for the medical examiner's office in Crossing Jordan. But that character is almost the complete opposite of what she gets typecast as now. She was more reserved and shy, so it's interesting that now she always seems to play the larger-than-like, boisterous character.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This always seemed ultra out of character for a guy who fought in WW2 and probably worked with french resistance fighters to take back Paris.

That's Mark Millar for you. It was also peak post 9/11, a time of rah rah jingoism, USA #1, and Freedom Fries.

The 'regular/616' version of Captain America, on the other hand, had this:

Edit: Aww crap, double post, thought I was editing my previous one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

We're all glossing over the most important bit in that Loki trailer.

Loki and Owen Wilson's character are drinking Boku.

In their "pocket reality" or wherever it is that TVA exists, they can still get their hands on some mother-fuckin Boku, and I'm jealous.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The lasers symbolize grief.

What are lasers, if not pew-pew persisting?

Edit:Pew-sisting

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Not having Chris Evan’s voice Steve Rogers kinda sucked, but other than that there were a lot of neat voice cameos.

At first I was surprised they actually got Tucci for his very few amount of lines...but then I remembered he'll do just about anything, and he's probably one of those people that loved his brief MCU appearance and wished he could have done more, so stepped right up. The opposite of, say, Huge Weaving.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm trying to think of how this could play out if there was like a sequel episode.

So, in theory, Thanos went to Titan to meet with Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw to get the Time Stone (and had his plan worked, Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glave would be there too with the Mind Stone.)

None of them show up. We see what happens to Cull and Ebony; zombiefied but then shortly after eaten by millions of flying ants. We don't see what happens to Proxima or Corvus, though (unless they were in that last shot of Wakanda as zombies, as well) but obviously they failed since Vision still has the Mind Stone, (I have to assume they are zombies, because they only reason Vision and Scarlet Witch survived their first attack is because Steve, Natasha, and Falcon show up. So maybe in this reality a zombie Scarlet Witch kills or infects them.)

So Thanos is alone on Titan, after besting most of the Guardians on Knowwhere and killing Gamora. One of two things happen. He either leaves for Earth quickly when no one shows up, and there is no second fight with the Guardians. Or Peter, Drax, Nebula, and Mantis show up and are almost certainly killed by Thanos without Spider-Man, Dr.Strange, and Iron Man to help and do Strange's plan. Let's go with option #1, so the Guardians are all alive/fine except for Gamora.

Thanos goes to Earth, seeks out Ebony and Cull and sees their bones, along with Strange's and the Eye of Agamotto on his corpse. I know Strange said it'd be hard to remove a dead man's spell, but he might have become a zombie before he cast that spell in this reality, or the remaining Infinity Stones can just make quick work of that.

He then goes to see Proxima and Corvus, and perhaps one of them is who infects him, since it would have to be someone powerful, and perhaps someone he trusts at first to get close to so they can surprise bite him.

No loving clue why they go to Wakanda though, other than maybe "it's the last spot on Earth with a large amount of humans left, and they have the means to easily get there to eat them, so they do."

And maybe...JUST MAYBE, the Guardians, Thor, Spider-Man, and Back Panther (and some Wakandans) can work together to get close to Thanos, and then Peter, knowing Thor is an alien and has not seem a zombie movie, reminds him to go for the head.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 9, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Watched the latest What If...? and my main question throughout most of it, that I THOUGHT they were hinting at answering, was why was everyone partying?

I get Thor et al. partying. Their big, dumb Asgardians, and I can easily see that Odin was able to have better peace in the Nine Realms by giving baby Loki back to the Frost Giants, so Thor, The Warriors Three, etc... are more into the "drunken revelry" part of Asgard than the "war mongering" part. Sure, fine.

But why was seemingly almost everyone he came into contact with so up for partying, too?

With the lines about the last planet he partied at getting destroyed, and how the "party" atmosphere was spreading across the globe, I fully expected Thor to admit he was using magic to MAKE people party, but with disastrous side effects. And, with no Loki around, it's even conceivable that Frigga taught him the magic she had previously taught to Loki, AND why Thor was even more afraid of her, since she would want him to use magic responsibly. But he used it for partying.

Also, the first thing I thought of after the ep. aired:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wait, so we're potentially just getting a two-parter what if Ultron won? I think there was some kind of What if Tony Stark landed on Sakaar instead of Hulk? episode based on leaks/trailers/etc... ?

Edit: Oh, wait, could be wrapped up into one. Tony somehow gets to Sakkar a lot earlier than when The Hulk would have,, so then Ultron can win.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

From that Dr.Strange trailer, LOVING the Art Deco (?) style statuary in what might be Multiversal Illuminat HQ:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i posted that earlier, and its the only place yuo can really see Defenders Strange, so there's at least 4 stranges in this, main universe one, What If, Zombie and Defenders.

We also get a nice shot of Zombie Wanda that I'm not sure what was in the longer one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think Tom Holland's American accent is ok... I mean, I'm not sure if it's an accurate Queen's accent, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure 99% of the Queens' accents I've heard in my life are badly done, over-the-top, bordering-on-parody accents anyway, so...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You gotta dream a little bigger

That Red Hulk with the Venom symbiote and Spirit of Vengeance

Jesus, comics is wacky.

Why not just give him the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak while we're at it!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with them in the movie was pointless

Why wouldn’t they ally with the Eternals who want to save Earth from the Celestials? No, instead we get a dumb fight in a dark cave

And in the comics, aren't Deviants like...more sentient? I think Thanos is actually a Deviant? But the movie reduced them to "weird monsters that look like they're made of ropes"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Overlord K posted:

One of the most interesting parts of watching What If... for me is seeing just who is willing to come back to do voice work. Like I understand Chris Evans and Robert Downey both being checked out, but I wouldn't have expected Josh Brolin and Micheal Rooker to come back to basically do two or three lines.

Did they come back, or was it pre-recorded stuff they had in the can? Because those two only had, like, two lines each right?

(although they might have had to get NEW permission from the actor to use it? Or maybe something in a previous contract that said,
"You're not RDJ or Evans, so we can use random clips of your voice for future projects"

Edit: Oh, and a quick "Genius at Work" note here:
In the Episode 4, Kahhori seemingly runs from somewhere nearby their village, the "Forbidden Lake" that is along the foothills before the Adirondacks, to the loving OCEAN?! Look, I'm certainly no expert on Native American history, but I am 99% sure the Mohawk tribes were in northern NY and southern Quebec and Ontario. Granted, I'll allow that Kahhori and the other powered-up people could run that fast to get from north of the Adirondacks to the mouth of the Hudson...but the conquistadors and their captives would have taken weeks to get that far, at LEAST. Even in boats going along the Hudson.

Maybe the boats aren't at the ocean, and they went north to the St. Lawrence River? But I'm not sure those GIANT Spanish ships could have sailed down that far on the St. Lawrence.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 3, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No, she's a 100% original character (do not steal) from this season.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

live with fruit posted:

If it's set in the 60s, that means they can cram Peggy and Howard in there.

If it is a 60's period piece, it'll be hard to also square the circle that it takes place in the "main" MCU.

While we know there was some superhero stuff before Iron Man (We know Hank and Janet were doing tiny-person stuff in the 70's and 80's), he was the first one the general public was made aware of, other than maybe Captain America (who I'm never sure was KNOWN to be a "super soldier" before the events of The Avengers, or if he was just "Wow, look at this perfect soldier who even makes Audie Murphy look like a pile of puke.")

Part of the appeal of the Fantastic Four is that they are celebrities in addition to being super heroes. So a whole movie where they have to be doing everything in secret seems lame.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the original script (which was trashed, so this may not be the case anymore) they were famous scientists in the 1960's and Reed is investigating the concept of the multiverse. They eventually get trapped/discover it and ride around exploring for years, but end up in modern day when they finally leave. Because of the multiverse/quantum realm time difference, it felt like three years for them, but it was actually 60.

That could work. The one thing I kind of liked from the latest FF movie (which was cribbed from Ultimate FF, I think?) was they got powers from a failed trip to The Negative Zone, rather than "cosmic rays."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pure horseshit. Boycott.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I get that Rogue is down bad for Magneto cause he can use his powers to protect himself from her powers... But a much better option is RIGHT THERE:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Zoobtro posted:

child Xploitation

Is Leech a kid? I thought he was just short.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm glad he's back, he was fantastic in that role. Crazy to think how many times they just crushed it on casting. Daredevil, Kingpin, Punisher, Cage...

How dare you leave out Jessica Jones and Killgrave! v:mad:v

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Teek posted:

One rumored plotline about Punisher is about him going after cops who put his emblem on their cars. Not sure how big a part to his appearance that plot point might be, if real. But it's a great thing for Marvel to acknowledge and take on. I know they've done that in the comics already.

:pray: Oh please, oh please, oh please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Proteus jacked him up pretty bad, it was gnarly for a kids cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0m92xur9Y

Lol, Proteus looking like that "Electricity Monster" from Scooby-Doo:

The '92 series also toned down his healing factor a lot, IIRC. I'm not sure if it was from Proteus or something else, but I feel like there was a MULTIPLE episode arc where Logan was "laid up" in bed with bandages around his chest because of how bad the damage was and how long it was taking him to heal it.