Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So Disney bought Marvel, and made a bunch of blockbuster movies, and then they made their own streaming service called Disney+ and now they're making MCU shows for it.

:siren: Spoiler tags are in effect for 48 hours after release on D+ (ie, giving people Friday and Saturday to watch and catch up). :siren:

Coming on Disney+ starting from January 2021, this covers Phase 4:

WandaVision - starts January 15th, 2021

Despite Vision being dead, he and Wanda 'Scarlet Witch' Maximoff find themselves in a weird sitcom-style suburbia trying to hide their superpowers from their neighbours. Decades pass, and things just get weirder and weirder. Starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9J2ecsSpo

The Falcon and the Winter Solder - starts March 19th, 2021

Picking up from the end of Avengers: Endgame, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes work together as Sam starts to take on the mantle of Captain America. Antony Mackie and Sebastian Stan star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBfGvb7NzM

Loki - coming June 9th, 2021

In the middle of Avengers: Endgame, Loki vanished briefly. This is the story of what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JuopziR3Q

WHAT IF...? - August 11th, 2021

An animated series based on the comics of the same name, which explore different versions of the Marvel universe where things took a alternative path to what we know. Voiced by the original MCU actors, this series shows us unfamiliar territory with a lot of recognisable faces. Jeffrey Wright is the voice of the Watcher, Uatu, and yes, that's Chadwick Boseman in his last performance as T'Challa. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iLVoEg9aLk

Hawkeye - 24th November, 2021

Jeremy Renner returns as Clint Barton AKA the Avengers' resident archer Hawkeye, and brings with him his protégé Kate Bishop (played by Hailee Steinfeld), who he's training to replace him. Currently filming, set pictures have revealed the presence of the real star of the show, Pizza Dog. Said to be based heavily on the Matt Fraction run of the comics from a few years back.

Moon Knight - 30th March, 2022

Oscar Isaac stars as Moon Knight, the avatar of the Egyptian moon god Khonshu (maybe, maybe not).

Ms. Marvel - June 8th, 2022

Based on the more recent incarnation of Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, a teenager with shape-shifting powers. Kamala has been an incredibly popular character in the comics since her introduction, and her initiation into the MCU was only a matter of time. Starring Iman Vellani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRNI9TtBM5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EX0f6V11Y

She-Hulk - 2022

Tatiana Maslany stars as Jennifer Walters, cousin of Bruce Banner, who receives a blood transfusion from him, and oh no! Marc Ruffalo and Tim Roth are both set to return as Banner and the Abomination respectively.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Future series - no release date yet

Secret Invasion - 2022?

Samuel L. Jackson is back as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn from Captain Marvel returns as the Skrull Talos.

Ironheart - 2022?

Dominique Thorne is genius inventor Riri Williams in Ironheart, an Original Series about the creator of the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man. Guaranteed to make chuds froth at the mouth.

Armor Wars - 2022?

Don Cheadle returns as James Rhodes aka War Machine in Armor Wars. A classic Marvel story about Tony Stark’s worst fear coming true: what happens when his tech falls into the wrong hands?

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - 2022

James Gunn is back to write and direct.

I Am Groot - ????

Everyone’s favorite little tree, Baby Groot, will star in a series of shorts on Disney+ featuring several new and unusual characters.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So honestly, it looks like Disney+ plans to continuously air a Marvel show week on week for all of next year. Going by the dates, it seems as if WandaVision will finish, and then F&WS starts up the following week, then the same with Loki.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Diabetic posted:

That honestly sounds like a great idea. I'm really excited about all these series but I'm looking forward to how they do US Agent

My memory (from very long ago) was that he was kind of an rear end in a top hat version of Cap with no powers? That and he had a black version of his costume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If having the TVA in Loki brings up Death’s Head, I’m going to have to lie down (due to no blood being in the top half of my body).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heh, that’s what Agents of Shield was originally planned to be like.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stephanie Beatriz would have been an interesting choice as She-Hulk, although I’ve not seen her do drama.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New little WandaVision spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xUKZhom1Y

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WandaVision will have 6 episodes, premiering weekly from Jan 15th, which takes it up to Feb 19th. Then a month later Falcon and Winter Soldier premieres on March 19th, again for 6 episodes (April 23rd). Loki is coming out in May (the 21st would probably be a good bet).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GQ9mH5Zzr0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I should give AoS another go at some point. The last thing I saw was Simmons getting sucked into a rock, and that was it for that season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yet another trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLf7hB-zSqI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

as for the question of how many episodes will mostly adhere to the sitcom-pastiche format, my total speculation is that it's the first five, since I think* that's the number of distinct sitcom eras we've seen in the marketing ('50s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 00s) and that the plot will shift gears significantly after that and episode length will get longer

*I realized while posting this that there might actually be two distinct black-and-white eras, so idk

There's only 6 episodes, so I'd assume they skip through them faster than that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, that's news then. So it'll finish, and then Falcon & Winter Solder starts the very next week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: Ok, spoiler tags are in effect for 48 hours after release on D+ (ie, giving people Friday and Saturday to watch and catch up). :siren:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 20, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm in my early 30s and here in the UK they played a lot of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie back in the 90s so I definitely got what they were going for.

I kind of wish Paul Bettany would've tried to pull off an old school BBC voice, much like Elizabeth Olsen's overegged 50s sitcom accent but you can't have everything.

Bettany was absolutely channelling Richard E. Grant's Withnail in the talent show scene.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tsob posted:

What? Did I miss something?

Vision and Wanda's children are Billy and Thomas. Billy is the Young Avenger, Wiccan, and is gay. Thomas is a speedster, like his uncle.

I don't know the lesbian robot?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Vision's daughter from the comics, Viv, is queer for sure, and I'm pretty sure only expressed interest in girls.

I'm so glad comics exist, and that kids today get to see diversity like this. :unsmith: My gay rear end only had Northstar in my formative years and he wasn't even allowed to do anything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fiddled in settings quickly. Peter Weller?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe SWORD is where Nick Fury was at the end of Far From Home. Does SHIELD even exist any more?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

the below is just a joke tweet, but if the sitcom aspect were more like this, I'd honestly be a lot happier with it
https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1352716116418650114
though I suppose it'd be harder to make the dramatic beats land if the sitcom parts were basically a parody of the "real" MCU

Honestly, getting James Spader in as 'Vision's dad coming to visit' would be a masterstroke.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

That color palette was :discourse: same as the costumes. The lady who worked on the wardrobe design seemed as she had the time of her life.

I love the slightly over-saturated look of the 70s era. Both Kathryn Hahn and Paul Bettany's blue eyes being way too blue was a really nice touch.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 23, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Another point i think is worth noting is despite her best efforts, Wanda seems to be unable to stop Vision from noticing things are wrong over and over again. I assume there's some kind of 'she made him from her memories, but because of that, he's too close to the real thing to accept the lie'.

I do wonder if the back-up Vision that Shuri was making in Infinity War has any part in this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Erev posted:

The commercial in episode three's link to Agents of SHIELD was a nice touch I thought.

What was the link?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

howe_sam posted:

One thing I learned from the Vanity Fair WandaVision podcast is that not only is the next episode a Family Ties riff, it's specifically a riff on the Tom Hanks episode, where Hanks plays the fun uncle who turns out to be an alcoholic and drinks a bottle of vanilla extract because it's the only booze in the house. Which leads me to think the uncle has to be Pietro, right? Or is that too literal?

That's got to be the James Spader role, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Probably just wishful thinking, but I'd love to see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The MCU even going near Nextwave would be amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Raere posted:

The thing I am most excited about is Billy Kaplan coming into the MCU so we get some badass gay superhero stuff Dunno if it'll be in this show but it has to happen eventually now.

I do wonder if they’ll (a) have the kids grow up, and (b) have them live beyond this series. I would love to see representation beyond that one guy played by a Russo in Endgame for 20 seconds.

Also, give Monica powers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder if the horrifying Dead Vision is the MCU’s version of the white costume from the comics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

With Wiccan and Speed now hopefully existing, maybe they'll do the rest of the Young Avengers, and they'll do the Iron Lad storyline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interesting they didn't go for black like US Agent in the comics. I'm guessing there's something in the storyline about getting this version in the public consciousness as the new Cap instead of/ahead of Sam and/or Bucky.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Spiderverse Miles Morales

I would be super psyched to see a cameo of him in the next Spider-Man film just to show how weird the multi-verse can get.

They already did it in Miles’ movie with Peni being a different kind of animation from everyone else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently Don Cheadle has revealed they’ll be in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heh, from way back on the press trail of Age of Ultron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbcuZZGdgA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SWORD should reveal they have a knockoff Vision called Aaron Stack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've played this level a few times now in Hitman 3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Japanese Spiderman is gonna have a cameo. I hope they bring in his giant robot.

That's Spider-Verse 2.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Marvel have put up a clip from tomorrow's episode, and it's a little spoilery. They're going full Modern Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAk32wCK18g

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Come onnnn McAvoy/Fassbender!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After the ending song, I went and listened to the Munsters theme from which it draws a huge amount of influence. It’s all so much fun!

Re: spoiler policy.

You’re probably right that 3 days is excessive, call it 48 hours from now on.