Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well, I just remembered that Wanda's first appearance in the MCU had her manipulating people's minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

someone manipulate the memories of this thread from my mind

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

This is the most expensive TV show ever made, I don’t think Disney cares much about the budget.

Thats what struck me about it. Especially with a similar type org to SHIELD, which always felt so constrained and B movie type production values on Agents of Shield.

Wandavision just looks expensive.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

One of the most shocking parts of Wandavision is that Elizabeth Olsen can actually act.

Watch Martha May Marcy Marlene immediately, your mistaken impression needs to be rectified immediately

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Rewatching. Not going to go looking for it but whoever posted that this part was super unsettling was SPOT on:

Agnes abruptly breaking her cheery character to worriedly ask if Wanda wants her to take it from the top

That made me so uncomfortable. Like much more so than anything else we’ve seen in this show, and I can’t put my finger on why.

Yeah. It hit much more than even Asif Ali's breakdown because, I think, it was more awkward? Like we expect people to vaccilate between mind control and being aware of it. But someone acting a certain way, then completely breaking the other way, while showing a weird mix of concern and worry, like they're loving up their acting? Then Wanda is confused (maybe) and Vision absolutely confused, and smiling as a reflex?

That's high tier, primo, grade A awkwardness that in some configurations ppl like you and me can encounter. Like a bad dream where you're supposed to know a script that people expect to know, and you're completely blanking. gently caress, it is nightmarish.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jennifer Lawrence blew as Mystique. The first Mystique was better. Yeah she doesn't make it to Marvel if i had the choice.

Primo draft picks: Deadpool, Collosus (from Deadpool), Juggernaught from Deadpool....

lol just make Quicksilver and the cast of Deadpool Marvel and call it a day.

e: liked Havoc from First Class too bring him back

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

Does the MCU have enough villains that lived through their movies' endings to do a Thunderbolts? Introducing a bunch of heroes then saying "TWIST they were villains" when we didn't see them be villains seems...sorta dumb.

EDIT: I actually thought about it. Zemo, Batroc, let's say Yellowjacket from Ant-Man survived, one the Damage Control guys from Homecoming, Ghost as 'the one who actually wants to go heroic'.

Sure, that's enough.

They hosed up Ghost's characterization Ant Man too much to have her properly follow the comic's version's thoroughline. In the comics Ghost is a paranoid conspiracy huffing weirdo that hasnt been out of his suit in years, that nonetheless figures out what was really happening in the organization and exploited it. Having an anticorporate anarchist in your Disney property is probably too much to ask for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Agent Carter doesn't have the same political baggage AoS does

its also a much better show

i gave aos like a billion chances, that show was hella lame and I'm glad that its not touching the MCU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

He is legendarily stingy with money, a huge part of why the Netflix Marvel shows sucked (especially Iron Fist) was him absolutely adamant they should require less money than they needed.

Lol didnt he go to premieres and roundtables in disguise to make sure ppl werent spending too much money on soda

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lid posted:

I stopped following them in the late 2000s and a few months back wanted to look up like a ranking of the best writer runs in comics of the last twenty years, namely where did Bendis' Daredevil and Brubaker's Captain America rank (they were #2 and #3 - Bendis' Daredevil is the best run on the character ever fight me - #1 was Morrison's Batman)

but the thing that stood out like a sore thumb was that only ONE comic run was post 2010. ONE. It was Brian K Vaughan's Saga. That was it. It was shocking. This listing wasn't just mainstream mainline comics either, BKV's Y: the Last Man was in there too for example, but that only ONE comic showed up in a decade was just depressing.

The 2000s felt like comics had finally gotten their footing as being something more than just well comic books giving writer driven projects time and space. Then everything went to poo poo.

Currently going thru Hickman's run on Avenger rn. Some pretty good stuff. But yeah it gets loving confusing bc of some crossovers (not Infinity) that changes the status quo.so much

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just started to watch the latest episode. I sure hope that incompetent gung-ho boss trope is gonna have an actual point.

Its funny, the stuff outside the bubble had more tropes than the supposed sitcom inside. Rolling my eyes at Darcy becoming a super hacker (was she in the movies), and them knocking out the soldiers just perfectly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Am I the only one pessimistic enough to think this whole Pietro thing isn't going to lead to anything? I'm betting it will turn out to be just what it appears on the surface. The same character from Avengers coupled with a cute joke about sitcoms recasting actors. People here have a lot of cool theories, but I'm guessing whatever Marvel actually does isn't going to be nearly as good. Ditto with Monica's engineer friend. I just get the feeling that Wandavision wasn't intended to be this big a deal. Covid 19 turned the whole world on it's head, and due to being the only one ready to release, Wandavision got thrust into the spotlight. I hope I'm wrong and something cool like mutants or the fantastic four comes from this, but I just don't see it.

I just hope they tell a good story. Couldn't give a rat's rear end about crossovers or bringing in new characters or whatever the gently caress.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ignis posted:

Fun anachronism from this week's episode: Wanda was born in 89 and her parents died when she was 10, so that flashback would presumably happen in 99, before those editions of Bewitched S1 (June 2005) and Malcolm S1 (2002) were made. I figure it's just a production goof and not actual foreshadowing to things, fwiw :v:

Wait Wanda was born in 89? Shes 31 without the 5 year scan? A little surprising.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

https://twitter.com/falconandwinter/status/1370426863970091009

I dunno, I’m gonna watch this show but I don’t feel a great rapport here. I guess it’s a buddy cop thing? I’m also worried because looking at the comments, it seems like Disney is astro turfing the hell out of it, tons of people that appear to be just marvel rebloggers posting how they love this character interaction and posting tribute videos that are just inside fair use guidelines.

Im seeing journalistic propaganda that is like "Wandavision might have been disappointing, but Falcon is gonna be amazing " which is just lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Koirhor posted:

This is exactly what took me out of it for Sam’s story. It stretches credulity to the max. This would be a red flag for normal Top Secret security clearance people.

There's entire industries devoted to financially inmeserating veterans. In a show about superheroes what strains credulity is a man out of the military down on his luck???

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

At what point does Wakanda go from being a celebration of African cultures to racist?

When it feels denigatory and the people being reflected by it feel like its an insult, rather than something to be proud of.

I can see why Africans might see it as something as disconnected to their experience, because it is, but when I visited Ethiopia few years ago people were still pretty hype about it. It was Addis Ababa, so ymmv.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's just so loving hard to find anything that makes Africans look good and strong, rather than weak and corrupt, in foreign media.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

And honestly these are just the sorts of problems that crop up in a shared universe. Like, I think the somewhat relatively cartoony handling of the Battle of New York works in a vacuum, just like I think the Zod/Superman fight having catastrophic fallout works (apologies if this infects another thread with Snydertalk). But eventually you get a creator who wants to treat the former with more gravitas or the latter with a less serious face.

Welp this explains the weirdness I felt watching Jessica Jones and their hushed tones about the "incident" and the 4 color wham bam full battle spread that was Avengers. Man, that was a strange juxtaposition.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You know after watching the Honest Trailer for Wandavision, did Wanda even have an arc? Did she learn anything she didn't know before, other than she's powerful as hell. The whole grief thing, was that satisfactorily resolved?

I can't remember that happening, and that's a shame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Someone didn't get far into Agents of SHIELD.

(It's a good show, check it out)

This is a trap OP

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Zemo is straight up the best character on the show. His motivation is 100x better than anyone else the past 4 episodes (Bucky is pretty relatable with his whole 'making things right with those I wronged' thing but that's super irrelevant the past 3 episodes) but Zemo you get it super-powered people destroyed his family and he will stop at nothing to ensure super-powered people are, thus, no more. Ends? Means? Who cares, the Serum must be destroyed, and then the super-soldiers, and then the next threat to an innocent person's family. It's honestly relatable because the actor is dripping with charm in his role and the costuming is crushing it for him and him alone.

That speech about the motivations behind being super being some sort of "supremacy" is probably the best developed bit of philosophy in the MCU universe. I dont particularly agree with it, but I dont know if its the delivery, the simplicity in the logic, or the obvious common sense underlying in it from someone living in that world, but it holds together.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

That's what I get for not double checking.

Regarding the big cameo, it's funny because they hyped it up as this big actor with numerous awards and all that's true but also people were talking about Meryl Streep so there's probably going to be some mad nerds out there. Not me, though. I loved it.

Again, not paying attn to a SA TV thread pays off. I swear, it ruins some shows for ppl better off just watching it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Timelord Clock

Four lokis on a cliff, marvel shows work the exact same way

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I’m finding the show okay so far, nothing special, but does anyone else feel it’s a bit too talky, like bloated with a bit too much exposition?

A lot of both episodes has been 2 characters talking in a room for like 5-7 minutes, then they go into another room and talk for another 5 minutes, repeat.

its the reason i like it. That bit btw Morbius and Loki talking about purpose is why I like this show, it's more talky than it needs to be, more tangentional than I'm used to with Marvel poo poo. It's pretty good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

As much as poo poo as Owen Wilson rightfully gets, I forget he can actually act when he wants to.

True but its also true that I was hella frustrated that they cut away from Wilson doing bird noises so that it couldnt be added to a Luke Wilson being wacky montage on ytube

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Madurai posted:

I haven't rewatched either episode yet, but I seem to remember the sticks also being energy weapons. Did I hallucinate that? Did they also have some kind of gun that just looks kind of like the sticks?

You get hit with them you get stuck in time depending on their control.

Seems powerful to me and they all seem heightened in skill and strength too. Its like ppl forgot how easily Loki got his rear end handed to him at first

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The three dudes are some guys who can see the future and are just eliminating every single future that isn't them ruling the universe

Dune warned us

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

The TVA and all the soul crushing bureaucracy within is just Marvel’s take on the Vogon Empire.

lol that zig zag line where the other other variant got zapped is a straight up homage to the recentish film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More like the Council of Reed Richards from a Marvel story 10 yrs ago

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It looked fantastic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Another exceptionally pretty ep of Loki. Epic as gently caress.

The ship gave me Baron Munchausen vibes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol what if Kang is another loki

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kang is not Nathaniel Richards in the comics. They're both time travelers but they're distinct ppl in most timelines.

E: they share a name tho. One is the father of Reed richards the other is a descendant with the same name

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That was a great episode and I do not read comics. Just information gleamed from posts and videos on youtube. While I am not a fan of cliffhangers cause I am impatient I cannot wait to delve more into this story. This was the best of the Disney+ shows and stuck every landing.

I think this is gonna be the great dividing line. You'll like how Loki ended if you like delving and exploring the concept.

If you're just trying watch a superhero movie and uninterested in doing that, it feels like you're gonna be dissapointed.

Personally I loved it. But I'm an immense nerd.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

surf rock posted:

I groaned at the ending and the tease of a second season.

I admittedly wasn't super interested in the show to begin with, and very little about the show itself ended up winning me over. I started watching and kept watching because it felt important in a "the chess pieces are being set up for the next series of movies and you won't know what's going on if you don't watch this!" sense.

Ultimately, though, I feel like I got nothing out of this show other than knowing the backstory to the next big villain, and Marvel villains are boring as sin anyway so I don't give a poo poo. No shade on the actor, but nothing about that performance convinced me that he's going to be a compelling character. Now it seems like the actually consequential poo poo might be in this second season, so I'm stuck either ignoring it or risk wasting more time. I'll just read the plot summaries on Wikipedia or something, I think.

It seems like most people here enjoyed it; I'm happy for you. I'm usually not this negative about shows, but this felt like some a big fat nothing, like some compelling concept art that never became more than that. Given how much I generally enjoy the MCU, it was really disappointing. Oh well, not everything hits for everybody.

What movies in the MCU did you like?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Pro-tip: a fictional character can be as vile and irredeemable as they want as long as it's interesting or compelling to watch.

This isn't a statement for or against WandaVision and it's also not a statement for or against Loki (the show), but a critique of your critique. Declaring "BUT WANDA'S SO BAD! SHE MIND-RAPED PEOPLE!" over and over again is not a very compelling reason to not enjoy that story.

A little late on this but I think the point of contention is that it seema like Wandavision wasn't deep enough or introspective enough to realize or grapple with how villainous Wanda's actions were. Rambeau's last line, the focus on Wanda's tragedy, it felt like the writer's had been captured by their own main character and not the effects or significance of her actions.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I disagree because the series was so short there's no reason it couldn't have been 10/12 episode season 1. Instead they made it 6 so they could poll the fans (my wife gets these surveys for just about everything we watch on D+) and they're going to tailor the next season based around this instead of finishing the story.

Then itd be like every Marvel show that has 12 episodes, only 6 of them are good?

Im glad we got no filler and a solid base for a second season without any lovely subplots or characters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

Well they did finish the story in 6 episodes. Is Loki a real human ? Yes !

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baronash posted:

I felt like the monologue at the end was overacted to an almost grating degree, but that aside, what about it was supposed to be so revelatory to Loki that it changed his outlook completely? The motivation behind the TVA as described by Kang is more or less what gets laid out in the first episode of the show, give or take a couple of space lizards.

Thats what I thought was especially neat about the season. The whole thing was about Loki's moral journey. Everything around him is the same but the Loki in the 6th episode is so different than the one in the first its insane. And they somehow made it believable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Technowolf posted:

MCU TV: CIVIL WAR (OVER RED HAIR)