Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Her denying having the part was almost certainly a case of the contract not being officially signed and/or her being cagey because Marvel wanted to make the official announcement at the investor call. I don't remember which of the Hollywood trades broke the story originally, but the Deadline/THR/Variety troika generally doesn't make poo poo up the way the cottage industry of superhero clickbait sites do. They have actual sources, like agents and studio executives. So it's possible her agent wanted to get the news out to show off how good they are, or whatever, just Hollywood politics as usual.

It's probably the draconian Disney NDA, and her agent being scared that if they didn't deny it, it could be seen as tacitly confirming and then whoops, big ol' lawsuit.

And I'm super hype for WandaVision because it looks bonkers in a way that the movies haven't really done and that Falcon & WS clearly isn't. (I think F&WS being originally scheduled to air first was them being nervous about getting too weird too fast, and wanting what seems to basically just be Cap 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Most likely the big 'surprise' is a Cumberbatch cameo in the last episode as Strange is revealed as the guy on the outside, to set up Olsen being in that movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

one of my big questions, which I’m not sure will be answered anytime soon, is whether anything had to change in post-production or rewrites due to COVID-related film delays. I.e. FATWS was originally supposed to premiere three months after Black Widow but is now supposed to premiere two months before it, and it was rumored that it would follow up on certain elements of BW. Loki also seems like it would have been a fairly natural place for Eternals characters to show up had the original release calendar stayed intact, though that was never reported anywhere that I know of.

pretty sure it won’t be quite *every* week in 2021, there are at least a few weeks in between WandaVision and FATWS for instance, but from the Dec. 10 announcements, it’s pretty clear that their goal is to have a release cadence of new Marvel Studios and/or Star Wars content almost every week in 2022, if not by the end of 2021

They're probably crossing their fingers and hoping vaccination is far enough along that Black Widow can be out in like April.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

What?!? But what about all those twitter accounts and youtube channels that swore Larson had been fired because everyone hates her!?

No, see this is Disney compromising with the SJWs by putting all the pandering 'diversity' into one movie, probably because that stuck-up bitch Larson made her agent threaten poor Feige with a lawsuit if they fired her.

...I feel dirty writing that even as a joke.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Ms Marvel even started shooting? (I think we can be sure She-Hulk hasn't if only because Ruffalo would've let it slip by now)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Fair enough, though I'm not sure it's so clear cut it'd air before Hawkeye. Hawkeye probably has less effects work to do in post, given Kamala's powers are gonna require a ton of CG, where as exploding arrows and such can be done practically.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing the way they bring Kathryn Hahn in is Agatha was called in because she's a witch, figured 'oh, i'll pop in and fix this no pro- oh gently caress this girl's got way more juice than i thought oops now i'm part of the sitcom world'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked the Alison Brie episode, although it's a fairly simple 'troubled kids get inspired by comics and theatre' narrative.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:f5: It's Friday here, Disney.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm in my early 30s and here in the UK they played a lot of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie back in the 90s so I definitely got what they were going for.

I kind of wish Paul Bettany would've tried to pull off an old school BBC voice, much like Elizabeth Olsen's overegged 50s sitcom accent but you can't have everything.

I feel like he'd have been better off trying to do a mid-Atlantic-y thing, full on RP would probably jar with the pastiche.

I think later episodes may play better, both as the metaplot unravels, but also some non-US audience are likely more familiar with your Full House/Family Ties/Roseanne/Married With Children era.

Speaking of, they gotta be doing Full House specifically, right? Probably too much to hope for Olsen to get her sisters to cameo, though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hahn's good enough here that I may get over her not being the MCU's Doc Ock

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Oddly enough Evan Peters is apparently in the show, so Quicksilver might still show up... just not her Quicksilver.

Maybe a meta-joke about recasting characters in sitcoms, maybe in the Roseanne-esque episode?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Little correction: the first ep is 100% aiming for The Dick Van Dyke show, the opening sequence even directly references that show, in the same way the second episode's is a clear nod to Bewitched.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Everyone is obviously assuming 2 kids based on the comics, but there's actually a decent room for a third. You could have the 2 boys, and also Viv as their little sister, even do a gag about her taking after her dad more in the looks department

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Whatever else, it's definitely pretty fun to see Olsen and Bettany show this kind of different range than we're used to seeing from them in the films. This sort of stuff would never usually appear in an MCU flick. Usually. Unless it's from James Gunn or Taika Waititi, but even then.

"It's a town, but like... not a regular town, like a freaky town"

tsob posted:

There's a shot in some of the trailers of Wanda and Vision both holding one baby as they sit on the couch, if I recall.
Look, the MCU is straight enough, let us have a gay wizard and a lesbian robot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Vision and Wanda's children are Billy and Thomas. Billy is the Young Avenger, Wiccan, and is gay. Thomas is a speedster, like his uncle.

I don't know the lesbian robot?

Vision's daughter from the comics, Viv, is queer for sure, and I'm pretty sure only expressed interest in girls.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like how the first episode is all wide shots in the same way 60s sitcoms we're shot but when Hart is asking them where they met and starts to choke the framing pushes in and it's all shot in close ups, and as soon as Vision pulls the strawberry out of his throat it goes back to wide shots, emphasizing the fake reality this is all taking place in.

Notably when Vision pulls the food out, the effect for his phasing is the 'real' one, full CG and not the old-school compositing and animation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

They definitely do have mutant projects on the horizon.

Have the post-finale scene of WandaVision just be a 10 second 'databurst' of Jonathan Hickman infographics about mutants.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, they may not use this to backdoor mutants into the MCU, but I think it can definitely address mutants. The rumors for Falcon and the Winter Soldier have them coming across the Weapon Plus program, and Omega Red showing up. They also travel to Madripoor.

If they pull a Mandalorian and have Wolverine show up in that show, Jackman and all, i'm ded

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone posted:

Well, the Luke arrival at the end of The Mandolorian Season Two proves that Disney can drat well keep things secret if they really want to do so.

In fairness, the most spoilery person there wasn't actually on set and did their part in VO

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

Supposedly it’s going to tie into Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. Elizabeth Olson is confirmed to be cast in it. A lot of people are speculating the villain of that film will either be Mephisto or Nightmare and either would work here.

I'm honestly expecting the equivalent of Hamill in Mandalorian being Cumberbatch cameo-ing in the finale.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

I don’t know when I’m the MCU that was revealed, but in the comics it’s Sentient World Observation Research Division, a division of SHEILD that tracks extraterrestrial threats to Earth. Looks like they’re going in a different direction

Slight correction: They're parallel agencies, like the NSA and CIA, basically. Or used to be. SHIELD is basically gone in the comics right now and SWORD is run by the X-Men.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe SWORD is where Nick Fury was at the end of Far From Home. Does SHIELD even exist any more?

People have pointed out that that could easily be supposed to be The Peak, which is the SWORD space station from the comics. I do think having Fury be in charge is a missed opportunity as Abigail Brand (his opposite number from SWORD) is a cool character in her own right and would be ripe to give a slightly older actress like a Laura Dern or similar a cool recurring role

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Klungar posted:

For whatever reason I got Brand vibes from head of the ladies association.

I'd be fine with Emma Caulfield-Ford in that role, sure. But Brand absolutely wouldn't be confused/scared upon snapping out of things, she'd throatpunch whoever she thought was behind it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

if I was a marvel fan would I recognize the symbol on the necklace?

Yes, it's a stylised version of the logo for SWORD, a sister agency of (obviously) SHIELD in the comics. We also saw it on the toy helicopter and beekeeper guy and the control room from the first 2 eps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

show is still good, would be nice if it didn’t keep underscoring the shifts away from sitcom pastiche with ominous music and just let the changes in cinematography and acting style speak for themselves

This is an odd take to me, because it suggests that score is somehow not part of the mise-en-scene for the sitcom genre vs the thriller/action vibe of the MCU stuff?

Its Chocolate posted:

my favorite part of the show is just the fashion and how the sitcom style evolves. it's so incredibly accurate

Having gone and watched a bit of the Dick Van Dyke Show because of this, it's amazing how dead on the kitchen in the first episode is just Rob and Laura's kitchen from that show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I get the impression she wasn't supposed to be there given the ending.

I think you're meant to infer that she's been sent by SWORD to try and snap Wanda out of it, hence why she pressed a little when the twin babies triggered Wanda about Pietro's death.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus more Ben Mendelsohn is rarely a bad thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Everyone posted:

I suppos, but that episode had a different point than this show. The TZ ep was how people try to "normalize" even the most horrific circumstances (imprisoned by a cruel, thoughtless God child).

WandaVision seems to be more about the intersection between "super" and "human" in a superhuman person. Yes, Wanda is amazingly powerful now, re-writing minds, even re-writing reality and re-winding time. However, the problems she's facing are very human in nature. Pain, Grief. Loneliness. This show is how Wanda is trying (and failing) to deal with very human problems with Super abilities.

One thing is that I don't think people have quite grasped what's happening here. Wanda hasn't gone into a small town, cracked up is now living there with a fake Vision and mind controlled people - at least she hasn't just done that. Recall the bit from the control room in the first episode.

I think Wanda has actually used her powers to transform the town into a television show that actually airs in the MCU. Basically people in the MCU are turning on their TVs and seeing "WandaVision" as an actual television show. There's no real physical town to enter, exactly. There's probably some kind of intermittent portal/opening to let SWORD send a helicopter/beekeeper/radio signal/Monica inside, but it's not like Nick Fury can just fly a Helicarrier over a physical town going "All right, Wanda, cut the poo poo and snap out of it." because there is no physical town anymore. There's just some kind of TV signal.

Doesn't entirely explain why they can't just ask Dr Strange to pop by and do some mojo. Could even say that the Eye of Agamotto makes him immune to her rewinds. (I do hate that they just made the Eye a fancy case for the Time Stone, it's way cooler in the comics as an anti-illusion/deception widget

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, they might do just that. We don't know yet.

That said, Strange really shouldn't have any power or protection over time now that the Time Stone is gone. In fact, my current theory is that Wanda actually absorbed and developed the power of all the Infinity Stones, which gives her power over reality, the power affect time, even power over souls.

Am I misremembering Endgame? I thought the stones all went back to where they started?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do think that given the movie connection, we may get a cameo from Strange (speculation so not gonna tag it), maybe with some kind of cool one-liner about how Wanda doesn't need another magician, she needs a doctor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another point i think is worth noting is despite her best efforts, Wanda seems to be unable to stop Vision from noticing things are wrong over and over again. I assume there's some kind of 'she made him from her memories, but because of that, he's too close to the real thing to accept the lie'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that I'm curious is how this plays to the not-terminally online MCU fans. I think the show is structured such that you're meant to think SWORD are the bad guys right up until this episode shows Monica/Geraldine is working for them and that Wanda turns on her for basically the gentlest possible push towards actually grieving or engaging with her pain. Like in a normal conversation, responding to someone you don't know well talking about their dead sibling with "Oh, they died in X well-known tragedy, right?" is not crossing much of a line.

It's kind of like trying to parse Terminator 2 from the POV of someone who avoided all marketing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Erev posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think that they'll actually use AoS in any way. I do think that the commercials have a different, important meaning. But there is almost no way that it wasn't at least a polite nod to AoS.

Commercial wise... I like the theory each one references an infinity stone. The bath soap being the tesseract/mind stone (cubic amd blue), the strucker watch being the time stone (cause time, of course), and the ultron-ish toaster being the mind stone (since that is how you get Ultron).

Do you want Ulltrons? Because that's how you get Ultrons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wylie posted:

For those of you complaining about how the show is going to keep up this format going forward, Elizabeth Olsen has news for you:

From: this article, in which we also get the translation of Wanda's Sokovian lullaby.

Guessing ep 4 might be the SWORD crew watching an episode of 'WandaVision' and trying to piece together what they've worked out about what's happening.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I know Kat Denning's character from Thor is in this, and the bit after the sitcom part where someone is watching the episode kind of looks like her. Now that we know someone is outside the town watching it, I could see it as her character got brought in for her expertise with weird infinity stone poo poo and we finally find out some of what's going on.

I was actually thinking there'd be a joke where she THINKS that's why she's there and Jimmy Woo or someone explains it's actually because of her expertise in old sitcoms from spending most of her college experience getting stoned and watching Nick At Nite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting thing is you can go back to the first two episodes and the major 'intrusions' during the body of the episode can easily be read as Wanda being in control. She punishes Mr Hart for pushing them on the reason for them being there only to relent because she's not truly evil and let Vision help him, and when Jimmy's transmission threatens to make her have to confront reality, she makes the radio explode, her shock is just because Dottie broke the glass and hurt herself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tsob posted:

She's only confused looking when it's innocuous oddities. As soon as anything threatens to blow the strangeness of her new reality she immediately drops any hint of confusion, and both acts and speaks in a different, more confident manner. Rejecting the thing threatening to destroy what's around her, and then shifting back to her somewhat bemused character. Only, it lasted a bit longer this episode after ejecting Geraldine from Westview, because she still has a somewhat ominous tone of voice when Vision comes in and seems fully aware of what happened. If she's confused then it seems to be either an act, or purposefully clouding her own mind and only allowing her real persona out when something is threatening her new reality. I don't feel like it's someone else clouding her perceptions, because the timing of her taking control and then going back to a slightly confused persona is too convenient to be on the part of someone else.

As I said earlier, the confusion is only really apparent in the scene with Dottie, and that could easily be "Oh poo poo she just smashed that glass and is bleeding everywhere, I didn't mean that. The helicopter is easily read as she knew something had made the sounds the night before and went looking.

Plus she seems very specific in saying she doesn't mean anyone in Westview any harm to Dottie, which... is not something a sitcom character would say. It's something the kid wishing people to the cornfield would say to convince themselves they're the good guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Y'all are gonna be real sad when they do the sitcom trope of the annoying twin and we get douchey Vision played by Bettany with a lovely moustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

One thing I'm expecting to see down the line is Wanda recreating Vision to suit her so excessively that at one point he'll no longer really resemble the android she loved.

It seems to be just the opposite. She's brought him back too well. Every single episode so far he's questioned the weirdness. I assume because she knows what he's 'supposed' to be like, she made him correct, whereas the 'cast' of WandaVision are just playing stereotypical roles to fit her idyllic life. The problem is that the real Vision wouldn't want to live like this.