Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

8one6 posted:

Regular Marvel comics: He hit Janet once early in the run while under Ultron's mind control, so 30 years later the meme is that he's a wife beater.

Fun story: the writer of said comic intended for Hank to give Janet a gentle slap. (apparently a 'gentle slap' is something you could, in fact, do to women in the 70's.) The artist, for some reason, had Hank really whack her. They didn't discover this until it had gone to print, so they had no choice but to retcon him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure all the big characters (and probably a lot of the smaller ones) that people adore nowadays hit women in the comics back in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and even into the 80s. I'm sure I've seen stuff of Reed Richards, Spiderman, Superman etc. hitting women as well as Batman hitting Robin among other things. "A slap for their own good" was just a thing in various ways. Which went beyond women (not to minimize the sheer amount of and casual attitude toward domestic violence against women), and was a common way of discipling kids and soldiers who were experiencing distress (i.e. probably PTSD) among other things. I can vividly remember a fear of being hit with the wooden spoon for things as a child in the mid 80s; and then it just kind of...disappeared around the early 90s at some point. If I was just a few years younger I'd probably remember teachers being able to administer corporal punishment in some way too, since it was only banned in Ireland in 1982; a year before I was born.

Yeah, I can think of at least two instances offhand where Reed gave Sue a 'gentle slap'. It's kinda hosed up by today's standards. Hell, it's hosed up by any standard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sivart13 posted:

I got excited about this show when I started reading the Moon Girl comics with my kid a year or two ago, then got un-excited when the series failed to come out and I also realized how insufferable the Moon Girl character in the comics is.

hopefully this version is better by omitting the endless monologues about how smart the main character thinks she is and how she doesn't need anyone's help (except when she does)

I felt the same way about Ironheart. The only way Marvel can portray a girl genius is with a huge flashing neon sign over her head saying "SHE IS SMART!!!".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Even in the 80's and even in a buttfuck small town, there's no way a McDonalds would hire someone who doesn't exist on paper. Not to mention someone with no paper couldn't possibly own and drive a truck. Which means Sylvie used magic zap-zap at some point to get where she is, so it follows she's using magic to make her life easier, which makes most of the discussion irrelevant.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Personally I'm reminded of American Beauty. When Lester loses his job as a high powered executive guy but gets a juicy severance package, he takes a window job at a McBurger because he wants a job with no responsibility whatsoever.

Assuming Sylvie can still mind-zap people, she could easily make a bank manager give her a huge account and live in luxury. She doesn't want that, she just wants a simple life.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

twistedmentat posted:

I really want Thor and loki to meet again.

I'm imagining the series ending with Loki taking a tempad to the Avengers Tower in 2012 and going "Here's the Tesseract, sorry for running off like that, let's undo the Blip then go have shawarma." And Thor can't understand why he's so nice all of a sudden.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My opinion:

The first season was OK. I had only vaguely heard of the TVA, so it was a bit jarring to suddenly be introduced to an organization so powerful that they use Infinity Stones as paperweights. All the acting is top notch, however for the first season, the dialog consisted entirely of "For this to work you have to trust me completely" followed by "You're a Loki, you've betrayed everyone in the entire universe" repeated eleven times per episode. The second season was better, more problem focused. The last episode was a bit confusing but it all came together at the end. Too bad that we don't know what becomes of Sylvie.

Does this mean that the Avengers never got the Space Stone and so were unable to undo the Blip? Or is that an alternate timeline, or was that timeline pruned at the start?

It's a shame that the character of Loki is essentially dead, but given how Marvel has gone to poo poo the past few years maybe that's for the best. Burn the shrine down now and all that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sooo... before the events of the series, the TVA would actively hunt down and prune variant people and timelines. And, if they happened to miss a timeline, the loom would automatically prune it, under the guise of "weaving it into raw time". This kinda implies that the actions of the TVA hunters didn't really matter, they were just there for show, like Chief O'Brien or something?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Mirage is also Native American but I know very little about her

Mirage is Dani Moonstar.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Randabis posted:

Post ITT every time you LOL that the best thing that happened in the MCU was Loki turning himself into a tree.

Way back in Thor: Ages of Thunder, Odin turned Loki into a tree as punishment for general douchebaggery. He was to remain there until someone shed a tear for him. He escaped when a leaf hit Heimdall in the eye.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

twistedmentat posted:

Monica will probably be part of that TVA strike force that's rumored for Deadpool 3.

Given that the TVA went through a lot in Loki, that would require a lot of exposition, since Deadpool is aimed at a more general audience, few of whom have Disney+.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tom Tucker posted:

Are they still trying to make the blip / post-blip make any drat sense? It just unravels every time you think about it for more than 2 seconds. Like the new Spider Man came out a few months after Endgame and it made zero fricken sense at all with the school and some kids blipped and others didn't.

Even ignoring things like "what about people who were in planes" and assuming Banner's magic wish could make those people OK there were about 2 billion children on the planet. 1 billion were left afterwards, and of those, for every one that had two parents, 25% lost both of their parents. That means there were 250 million brand new orphans. Imagine society actually bands together and helps that means 250 million new families where parents adopt and love their new children, perhaps even replacing their older children, and then the kids and parents and everyone comes back?!

Like how does society survive that second trauma nevermind the legal implications on inheritance and property transfers.

Yeah seriously, society would never have survived. Developed countries would be reduced to Mad Max anarchy 48 hours after the Snap.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Here's yet another fun detail. When I started watching Loki, I had only seen Endgame once in the theaters (did it really have to be three hours?) so I assumed that the scene at the very beginning when Loki grabs the Tesseract and zaps off was a "what if". Then I rewatched it and, nope, Loki escaping was how it happened in the movie, which means the the Loki series was in fact wrapping up a loose end from the movies. However, Endgame also has Cap choosing to not come home and spending sixty years on the timeline with Peggy Carter, which would also make him a 'temporal variant'.

Now, if we assume that time in the TVA passes orthagonally to time outside, all of the events in Loki occurred in no time at all to everyone else. So, when Cap decided not to come home, the New And Improved TVA must have seen him and gone "Awwww, isn't that nice." and let him have his life.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I saw the "Assembled" feature on the making of Loki. Majors was not interviewed directly and was never in any of the scenes where the cast and crew are having fun and partying to show how great backstage morale was. I'm starting to think that the rumors of him being a douchebag on set are true.

EDIT: now that I think about it he got about 15 seconds of screen time in the whole show.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 19, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

They kinda teased at having Mr. Sinister during the (crappy) New Mutants miniseries. Still, he's tied to the X-Men, so I doubt he will appear unless there are full X-Men movies.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Technowolf posted:

Make the next MCU bad guy Arcade

This, but use the zonked-out eighties version, not the grim-and-gritty version from Avengers Arena. Dear Lord that was horrible.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wait, there was a New Mutants miniseries? I know there was a (lovely) film, but didn't know they made a miniseries, too.

Unless you mean in the comics?

Oh wait yeah I do mean the film. I though it was a miniseries for some reason. Maybe because it sucked so hard I stopped watching a few times.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was so disappointed in that movie. Great poster. Good cast. Waste of time.

It's a movie where if you couldn't work out how the entire plot of the movie was going to go by the 10 minute mark and what the big "twist" was going to be then you're probablythe kind of person who is shocked by a Scooby Doo reveal.

The entire plot is "Teens with powers are held in a vaguely scary place owned by shadowy people for unknown reasons, who orders one killed for no reason, but they escape using the power of true friendship." Seriously that's it. Coming from someone who once owned an entire run of the original New Mutants it was incredibly disappointing.

Also I was sorta skeeved out by the scene where thirteen year old Wolvesbane is nude in the showers for two minutes straight. I mean you don't see any naughtybits and the actress is way over 18, but it still felt weird.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tom Tucker posted:

How did they get SO many of the actors to do the voices? I remember season 1 being way fewer. How much must it have been to get Jude Law for half a day's voice acting? Surely they don't all have crazy contracts that say "you have to do cameos and voice work in whatever we want over the next 10 years" - I can see Sebastian Stan's agent signing something like that but not Michael Douglas or Chris Hemsworth.

Disney/Marvel studios seem to have a knack for getting actors to do bit parts. In Avengers Endgame, they got Robert Redford to come back and play his Winter Soldier character for a ten second scene. Redford is Hollywood royalty, there no way his contract said "you have to come back whenever we want."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Hey, regarding the Kahoori episode, one thing I couldn't help notice was how many Conquistadors there were. I would estimate at least three hundred, and at least four huge battleships. A large army like that is exactly what you don't want when searching for something; they would consume an ungodly amount of food and move slowly through unfamiliar terrain. Also, the Mohawk Nation was in what's now New York, which is a much longer trip from Spain than Florida. And why do they need all those battleships anyway?

The conclusion is obvious; in this universe, Queen Isabella was not looking for the Fountain of Youth, she was attempting to establish a beachhead for the conquest and colonization of the New World.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'm assuming this is blindingly obvious to everyone but me, but is the very end of What If a nod to the very end of Loki?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alhazred posted:

Hernando de Soto's expedition to Florida consisted of an army of 700 soldiers.

Yeah, and they raped the hell out of any natives they encountered. It stands to reason the doofus here would do the same.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mcbexx posted:

It's not exactly MCU/TV, but adjacent enough to maybe mention - the Guardians of the Galaxy game is currently free on the Epic Game Store (until the 10th or 11th of January).

It doesn't feature the original MCU likenesses, but after having played through it, I can say they nailed the characters, the cameraderie and their banter.
Some really beautiful/imaginative environments and overall aesthetics and the story also has lots of nice beats and funny scenes.

Worth a look if you need your fix.

Thanks for giving us the heads-up, but I gotta say, this game really isn't very good. The banter between characters is awesome: there's a lot of it, and it's very well written, however the voice actors are all D-listers who sound nothing at all like the movie counterparts. Quill and Drax in particular might as well be totally different people. The combat isn't great, the puzzles are spoon-fed, and I ran into quite a few annoying bugs. I honestly wouldn't recommend this once it stops being free.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cythereal posted:

They were vying for control of dragon bones under the city because the Hand's immortality/resurrection juice is made from dragon bones.

This, but also the bones are propping up Manhattan and if they dig too much 5th avenue will collapse or something.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Narcissus1916 posted:

was Echo filmed during COVID protocols? There's a lot of weird choppy edits, and not just in the (admittedly fun!) fight scenes.

Ms. Marvel was shot during covid, it didn't have this problem.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

counterfeitsaint posted:

To know that would require someone to have actually watched it though. Are you sure?

I watched the Assembled feature on the making of Ms. Marvel, there were face masks all over the place. Some people even wore a full-face plastic shield.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Azhais posted:

On the other hand ms marvel was the least watched MCU TV show by a significant margin

I loved Ms. Marvel, IMHO it's one of the best episodic series, second only to Wandavision.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Super Deuce posted:

Hawkeye is still the best because of the tandem of Florence Pugh and Hailee Steinfeld. Other series have done great things and terrible things, but Hawkeye was the best for me because they’re awesome together. Also because it was pleasantly unserious and low stakes. Ms. Marvel had a lot of that, as well, but those scenes were sometimes grating because the supporting characters. I like my comic book things to be dumb and goofy. I enjoy watching Batman and Robin more than any other DC movie because it’s the campiest and dumbest.

The acting and interaction between characters in Hawkeye was top notch. The problem is that it was shot in an earth-variant where everyone's IQ is about 30 points lower than regular earth. Like, when Clint decides it's time to set the Tracksuit Mafia straight, his Big Plan is to... let himself be captured? And then Kate follows up with the exact same plan?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kiminewt posted:

Funny. I just watched The Marvels and I did not enjoy it at all.

I saw it today and... eh. The acting was great, the banter between characters was enjoyable, and, uh, the set design was pretty good, I guess. The story was boring and didn't really make sense, Monica's subtheme felt weird, and Dar-Benn wasn't convincing at all. The actress is engaged to Tom Hiddleston, who supposedly gave her advice on how to be a Marvel villain, but she must not have been listening, because her performance was blah. Or maybe the advice was "wear giant curved horns and smirk a lot" but the director vetoed it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Invalid Validation posted:

Too bad Disney couldn’t handle making it explicit

They keep chickening out when it comes to GLB characters. In Love and Thunder we found out that Valkyrie is lesbian (or bi, who knows), but they didn't go anywhere with it. And Korg is gay... or are Kronans an all male species? It could go either way.

And in Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Awfulness, we know that America is lesbian because she remembered to put on her rainbow pride pin while being chased by interdimensional horrors. A bit later, we see her being raised on an alien planet by two moms. Okay then, are her moms lesbian, or is it an all female race? Again, could go either way.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jedit posted:

America Chavez isn't gay, she's from a parallel Earth where gender distinctions no longer exist so everyone is bi/enby.

And yeah, Korg's species only has one gender but they code male in the general context of how other races see it.

See, yeah. These things matter, Marvel. If America lived in an all-female or all-enby world, then she was essentially the same as everyone else, but if she and her moms were lesbian, then they were set apart. Now that her dimension is gone and she's growing up in Kamer-Taj in Earth-616 (for now), this is going to have a big impact going forward.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

So who is this movie aimed at? Only people who have watched Loki know about the TVA. (Okay it appeared in comics, but only a little bit a long time ago). Given the amount of fourth wall breaking, this looks like it will go over the head of casuals.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I agree. A Deadpool movie that is constantly referencing other properties, making jokes about 40-year old Marvel comics lore, and full of meta commentary just won't work.

I'm an aging Marvel turbonerd and I loved the hell out of Deadpool 1 and 2. But, I imagine, if I were a 25 year old redneck plowing through a case of Budweiser whose sole knowledge of Marvel was "Uh, they made X-Men, right?" I would probably have still loved them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

- TVA is recruiting the best version of every hero in the multiverse to form a multiversal army to keep Kang down.

Ughhh no, this would be throwing the ending to Loki right out the window.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The end of Loki explicitly says that the new goal of the TVA is to keep Kang down and pre-emptively stop him from discovering multiversal travel in as many realities as possible.

Exactly. They handle it by snipping the Kang before he can become Kang the Conqueror, not by some interdimensional gladiator fight.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Oasx posted:

Hank Pym isn't a wife beater in the comics either.

...it's complicated.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

In “Spiderman and his Amazing Friends” or whatever it was called, there was an episode where ex-X-man Firestar goes to a reunion at the mansion which Juggernaut crashes. That iteration was strangely faithful, sticking to the mystical backstory as Xavier’s brother. Also Wolverine was Australian, which lol how prophetic considering Jackman.

I remember this episode, I'm going to chalk it up to 'crappy voice actor' rather than any sort of conscious decision.

And I also remember back in the 90's when BBSs would go "hey why don't Rogue and Gambit use Leech to nullify her powers so they can make whoopie?" every month or so. The discussion would run for half a dozen pages before someone would suggest that maybe they shouldn't use a twelve year old kid as a sexual aid.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 25, 2024

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

OldSenileGuy posted:

In fact, when she was flying around in her new magic costume after getting her powers back, I started to become pretty sure that the entire 'Forge gets sick, the Adversary is attacking' plotline was taking place in her head while she was in Forge's power-restoring machine. That would have been a good way for them to have the plot where she has to face her demons and come out on top, and ALSO her powers are fixed by Forge's science that took them away in the first place. And yes, I did get this idea from the Futurama episode where Bender has to learn too work with Robot 101.

This makes more sense. I was honestly disappointed with the "All you have to do is believe in yourself!!" resolution, it just didnt feel X-Men-y.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Wolvie's power has always been "whatever the writer needs to make the scene work". One time he was trapped in Antarctica, and survived by chopping off bit of skin and eating it as they grew back, which obviously would only work if his power was fueled by cosmic rays or magical pixie dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

X-O posted:

Nope she got those when Genosha was destroyed in the comics as well.

The same issue where Negasonic Teenage Warhead made her one-page appearance.