Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The first episode will tell us what the hook is, hopefully. And if it doesn’t, then it’s probably not a great limited series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Congrats on to Malcolm Spellman as the EP. If you want heightened family drama, choose the guy who is essential to making empire exist.

The financial problems makes sense, when you consider that money is emotional just as much as it is tactical. As an independent person who worked his way up from tough circumstances to save in the world, asking Rhodie to ask Pepper for a loan seems extremely unlikely. It’s possible that falcon and Tony haven’t spent more than 15 minutes in conversation together, and the man is a dead international playboy.

Thought the action sequences were super well done. Starting off with one lets people know this is going to be an action show and that marvel has put money into it. Never bad in the first episode of a limited series!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m sure he has tons and tons of people to make good with, in the Marvel universe revolves around New York City.

It makes perfect sense that a bank loan isn’t available after the blip, banks spent five years readjusting and re-capitalizing, probably with larger loans to fewer people to do more rebuilding. Even three months later, a lot of that money is tied up, and the loan officer is allowed leeway but the bank policy is set by people above his station.

Although yeah, we are meant to wonder if race as a factor here.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It could also be the 9/12 movement, the idea that crisis is an inherently valuable thing to human society.

I mean, the MCU hasn’t touched on the environmental factors of 50% of everything going away, which could mean “less environmental degradation“ or “several food chains are unfixably broken now”. The question is how Comic Book they want to get with everything.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I didn’t get the glove thing, although that’s pretty obvious in retrospect. But yeah, cutting your hair and not being in gun fights probably makes you look significantly different. And it’s been five years, unless she was blipped as well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think the scene is extremely effective at making you think “it’s racism“ without having a line where the guy says “I’m a racist who sees you as a famous black guy but I don’t want to give a loan to your sister.”

Sure, he could make money selling images as the falcon. But his idol is literally Captain America, a man who went underground to fight world governments and superheroes because it was right. (Remember Sharon’s speech at Peggy’s funeral, “no you move”.) Sam clearly believes in institutions, which is why he goes to the bank, like a regular person would, and doesn’t name drop the fact he’s the falcon. He does when it’s clear that it might help him and to continue the meeting.

We’ve already established why there are no avengers alive who can give him any money, and based on his sister’s criticism, he doesn’t want to start by asking.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's just concerning because this series is only 6 episodes and they spent like a third of the episode on the Louisiana stuff

They spent another third with the falcon flying around, seems pretty balanced

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In America, just being black and rich doesn’t guarantee trust or dignity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl-s-michael-bennett-says-police-threatened-blow-my-f-n799276

By putting the falcon in this scenario, we show that it could happen to literally anyone, no matter how famous, moral or powerful they are. This is the way many, many people experience structural racism.

What’s the falcon gonna say, “My sister who can’t make money was denied a bank loan?” We have absolutely nothing to show that he’s active on social media, or that using his clout that way wouldn’t endanger his current standing with military.

lovely people are racist, even if it doesn’t benefit them, even if they can get away with it. Racism isn’t a cost benefit analysis. It’s not even done by “bad people*“ but by everyone at various levels of awareness.

*The media‘s portrayal of racism as done by exclusively rich dicks or hicks lets many people off for not addressing their own prejudices.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 21, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I remember infinity war ended with a lot of solemnity in my theater. And then everyone went wild during the endgame finale.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Omg. This is "I don't think Stormfront is a nazi." all over again. Like, I thought it was hamfisted they literally had to find a treasure chest of nazi memorabilia and a literal picture of Hitler attending her wedding, but apparently any text other than the most obvious text is just gonna fly over people's heads when it comes to racism.

It’s kind of a mirror of addressing racism that people can’t see something in front of them even when it’s explained over and over and over

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What in this episode shows that sam has access to fame or wealth similar to the most famous Black people you can think of?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“If it were me“ isn’t the ultimate lens for watching a TV show, where characters are different from you with different morals, life experiences and circumstances

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

After the scene, Sam says he will go to other banks and his sister believes that their experience will be the same. This is also a mirror of how their circumstances affect their view of race relations and systemic power. She hasn’t teamed up with billionaires to fight aliens, and mocks him for doing so.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Oasx posted:

I was a little annoyed by the sister. First she was too proud to take the money, even though she knew Sam cared about the boat, and then she got angry with him for being away while he was saving the world.
She was also the second person in the episode, who victim blamed someone who got killed in the snap, I wonder if that is a common thing.

If only she was more rational about her crime fighting brother who she thought was dead for five years.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer before every episode that says “the people in this universe have not watched all the Marvel movies”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

In the second scene of the episode after the action sequence opening, Sam is sitting in a small cafe in Tunisia and a random guy literally walks up to him and goes “HEY YOU’RE AN AVENGER YOU SAVED MY WIFE THANK YOU” in addition to the bank guy also sort of recognizing him right away

There aren’t a lot of black military operators in Tunisia compared to Black people in New Orleans

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

The casting for those movies was pretty great in general.

Micheal B. Jordan? Kate Mara? Jamie Bell?

Of all the problems with FANT4STIC the cast were not one of them.

The prior 4

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Interestingly, they list WandaVision before falcon in the Disney+ “watch everything chronologically“ series.

Just saw Captain Marvel, it was pretty middle of the road but for a Marvel movie that means that laughs, excitement and fun set pieces.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“So did stark give you any money”
“No”
-The TV show.

Half a dozen people in this thread:
“He should’ve just asked stark for some money”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Why isn't Peter Parker a Musk/Job Billionaire on just selling his web making formula to construction/medicine/transport companies.
Dumb rear end hokes bins for 386 computers.

Have they ever done a comic book series where Stark is a struggling guy in Queens? I don’t know how it would even work because being a CEO is so central to his story, what is there a what if like “what if Tony Stark was working class?”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It is funny that a show that has an amazing depiction of racism in America shows the US military is concerned about violating international air space. Is Libya going to scramble their jets?

The Air Force is thanked in the credits, so obviously they can’t portray them realistically, but it’s super weird. Marvel’s view of state power is that it always corrupted by betrayers, shadowy evil figures who want to nuke New York, literal aliens... it reminds me how the Netflix shows always had the NYPD as the villain for at least one episode of the first season.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't remember which video I watched that explained it, but basically the military has a lot of pull when you start using their equipment.
I get that, which makes the villainy of the military industrial complex so weird! Even before the hydra reveal, everything but agents of shield portrays military or para military organizations as inferior to super humans, self-serving, and corrupt. The US Army is good, but exclusively funnels money to evil corporations. The FBI is evil except for Jimmy Woo. The majority of sword is evil, except for the few people who help Monica.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They should have him beat up goose and call him catpain America

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Goose isn't a cat. Goose is a flerken. :colbert:

They should have him beat up Patsy Walker

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! Disney+ show when?
“It’s Patsy!“ was like eight seconds of screen time and is still in my head for years later. A legal comedy of Queen green, Patsy and occasional Foggy Nelson/daredevil feels extremely easy to write and cheap to shoot.

I wonder what kind of conversations Eldon Henson Head with his agent over the years. Would daredevil enter the MCU? How does Sony effect that? And assuming he does, that means foggy gets a cameo, right? What about all the D+ shows? I’m sure John Barrett that I can get his texts answered, but if You weren’t number one on the call sheet, it has to be frustrating how many marvel properties come out a year.

Fun story about foggy:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/daredevil-elden-henson-funny-casting-story-foggy-nelson-marvel/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think WandaVision is the first marvel show in a long time,(I haven’t seen agents of shield), where a wrongdoer isn’t really punished, and is even praised.

Every other property so far has been didactic with musical stings about who is good, who is bad, and never letting a villain really win at the end of things. (Thanos won once but then had to lose twice.)

All the things that made Bucky an rear end in a top hat happened in a movie that came out in 2014.

If the previous 21 entries in the series have moral certitude, people might miss it when it’s gone.

(This thread is living proof that ambiguity in the depiction of racism can also fly way, way over peoples heads.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The reason captain America 1 was a bad movie wasn’t because Captain America was a good person…It’s that his challenges ended once he turned strong. He was made into the perfect soldier, and then his obstacle was “win this war that we know America won”.

In future movies, he has more morally complex, difficult objectives: fight and reform friends, overcome massive government corruption, adapt to a modern world 70 years past his comfort zone.

—-
I might be repeating myself, but Wanda was a show about an avenger, and we’ve always been told avengers are good people. Instead, she’s a good person when it’s convenient, then a selfish person, then a person trying to square those things while still leaning heavily towards selfish. That’s realistic, it’s just extremely unexpected. And odd, because Monica, who is coded as a morally correct character, tells us that “not being evil anymore“ is the same as sacrifice.

This seems easier than calling into question the fan base of the most popular movie series in world history.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Tony being a huge rear end in a top hat led to the creation of at least three villains, including two after he changed his ways and becoming Iron Man. Loki's never been good by any stretch and Hawkeye became a serial killer and they're both getting their own shows. I don't think we're supposed to believe these characters are any one thing.

When Iron Man comes back in endgame, his first conversation is “we’re a bunch of pieces of poo poo who shouldn’t fight crime, but if we had done Ultron right this wouldn’t have happened.” Then he invents time travel. RDJ has some of the best lines in the series, but he definitely plays penitent as much as a arrogant. (I think this would’ve been even more explicit if Disney had allowed the “demon in a bottle“ storyline for Iron Man three, but it as a series that appeals to children I can see why they didn’t.)

Hawkeye wasn’t a serial killer, he was a brutal vigilante who killed a bunch of drug dealers, which is exactly Punisher’s thing. That’s always been a “c’mon, you shouldn’t do that“ act in blockbuster action movies since they started. Sort of looked down on, but implicit in American action culture that excessive violence is fine against acceptable targets.

The contrast is that Wanda is told repeatedly that she’s doing something wrong and doubles down on it. We don’t get a scene where Ronin is told “quit murdering us, we’re totally innocent”. In Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers is faced with a similar situation and hears the “villain“ out. (Interestingly, this is after six years of brainwashing/reprogramming… You could write an entire essay on brainwashing in the MCU, why it’s used so often, and how we want people to atone for things without being “bad people”.)

I’m not saying you can’t make a character in fiction that does what Wanda does! I like the ending more as time goes on, and if Monica had given a more mixed speech, I think it would’ve been even better. It’s atonal, but atonal is different from bad.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 23, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

stev posted:

Vigilantes are serial killers if they murder the criminals that they're going after. You're not suddenly innocent of murder if your victim was also a criminal.

Maybe, but I think it’s only true and criticized in 3% of action movies

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

live with fruit posted:

(though Iron Man 3 is a big exception, since the Extremis bombs are just victims of Killian's).

The captain America series has always done better on disability/veteran‘s issues than Iron Man, but I think this is was pinnacle. “Every single mook is an injured person who got turned evil“ is a weird one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t know if Patton Oswalt could be MODOK in MCU, they had him as a sleazy bar owner in the latest season of agents of shield.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Everyone posted:

* We assume it's abandoned. I've got a fanfic in head, some guy getting out and asking Wanda, "Who are you and why are you in my home?"

This can’t happen. On Golden Pond is owned by universal

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Having a mustache over 5 o’clock shadow is cool

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He does get drunk at the party, it causes a big fight with Rhodes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Thor and Captain America’s trilogies get better as they go along, I think Iron Man is the reverse. But it might be the case that marvel had more action figures to play with for winter soldier and Ragnarok.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The dark world doesn’t really start until Loki shows up, and that’s at least halfway through the movie. I never saw the first Thor, sorry

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t know if it counts, because the story of the MCU always seems to start with Iron Man.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Age of Ultron may be bad in parts, but the intro sequence at the winter base is pretty cool. It’s hard to go more than 10 minutes in the movie without seeing something interesting. And the Terminator style theme song was cool, they had to use a broken Casio keyboard that lost time arhythmically to create it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Vision won the house by trading it from a paper clip

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bring Ed Norton back for American history Xmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The falcon and the DSA chair