Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean the dominant family sitcom of the 90s was The Simpsons, so I assume they didn't want to make an episode where everything looks like absolute poo poo like The Simpsons does now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phylodox posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Karli is going rogue because the supposedly "perfected" super-soldier serum is making her erratic? Like maybe it's not as "perfected" as advertised? If Walker's on the same serum, that's probably going to be his arc, too.

I think the two characters are definitely supposed to parallel each other. Both have adopted an identity as the literal representative of an ideology, which is tough for anyone. They're also both very focused on their ultimate goal and willing to do whatever they need to get it, too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Either X-Men came on earlier for you guys or you ate breakfast later in the day. I remember it started at 10

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's X-Men for you, especially 90s X-Men. The formula used to be that they'd do 4-6 issues where they fought Mister Sinister, the Brood or just a bunch of ninjas, then have one issue where everyone just kind of sat around the mansion and was horny and/or sad. Then in the bottom of the last panel there'd be a splash graphic that would say "Next issue: Omega Red punches Colossus in the butthole!" or something

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Insanite posted:

this is the wrongest take i've ever seen

Indeed. Walking out on your postpartum wife and newborn son because you heard your college girlfriend was back in town isn't cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Roberto was in that first episode, that's what I wanted to see the most from this, having more Mutants appear, even if it was for one episode.

Did the intro always have Emma and Deathstrike in it?

No, they replaced Thunderbird and that green guy with the huge brain.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soul Glo posted:

he even says his name man cmon

No, not Xavier, the other green bald guy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bishop losing his magnificent haircut is too bad, but if he doesn't get some dude playing harmonica whenever he delivers a dramatic line, the show runners have hosed up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sometimes they would also just say that he had done a thing that had the word magnet in it. His mind is magnetically shielded. His followers can't turn away from him because he has a magnetic personality.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I didn't realize this as a kid but Mystique framing Gambit for murder in the original animated series was just her way of trying to keep him from banging her daughter.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

Now I haven't watched for a couple of decades, but wasn't that a non-existent problem since they literally couldn't bang in the first place?

Gambit willing to roll de dice on that one, mon amis.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sentinel Red posted:

I doubt young Leech really wants to sit awkwardly on the other end of the sofa while Rogue and Gambit make out though.

It'll probably still work if you just give him the next room over. Soundproof the poo poo out of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IUG posted:

Isn’t Maddie the one who just had the kid? The comics, I believe, have Jean come back from the bay in a cocoon, Scott sees her, and immediately ditches Maddie and the kid. This turns her into the Goblin Queen.

Yeah it's why Cyclops is just the worst. He finds out his girlfriend from college is in town and abandons his family.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I figured they were gonna have Madelyn go to the future and Bishop stick around.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Jerry from Rick and Morty is Cyclops with no redeeming qualities.

If there's one thing I know about cartoons, both Western or Japanese, being some dude with zero redeeming qualities is like catnip to women in them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's like Apocalypse, where his powers aren't really defined. He can just kind of do whatever the plot wants him to.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pinterest Mom posted:

What's the fetish here, "I like naked women"?

Claremont has a pretty obvious thing for "nice girl gets mind controlled into a horny babe."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm glad he's back, he was fantastic in that role. Crazy to think how many times they just crushed it on casting. Daredevil, Kingpin, Punisher, Cage...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm surprised we haven't seen more companies cash in on the resurrection of the beat-em-up. Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge both made good money so the audience is there. Just because Konami's not making games anymore doesn't mean there's not other talented studios you could give a fairly small stack of cash to and get a decent ROI.

Make a game, just call it X-Men '97, give it a digital-only release and sell it for $30. People would be all over it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Forge uses parts of his brain that normal people don't... because normal people don't have them!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Spacebump posted:

This reminds me, the Hellfire Club is just known as the Inner Circle in the animated series.

I'm not looking forward to hearing people say that X-Men ripped off Stranger Things.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DiscoJ posted:

I think Cable's backstory in the comics hadn't been fixed either at the point of his TAS S1 debut.

Not all of it, but he had been revealed as Scott and Maddie's son from the future the previous year.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm split on that. I hope it works, but part of me says that he already did this knowing it would endanger more money than I will ever make in my life.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also noticed that and it's weird. It was also I believe all non-speaking cameos. The series like to do that sometimes with background characters who were recognizable, but they never really spoke. Another background mutant they use 3-4 times is Random.

Oh man, I haven't thought about Random in like 30 years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well that episode definitely wanted to go very very hard

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Teek posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory of comic Cable wasn't that he returned multiple times to change history. He was always body-sliding back, but wasn't it mainly just going back to the same core 616 timeline to fight against Apocalypse's rise?

Outright changing history multiple times was more Bishop's role, and that was more his animated counterparts role. They can obviously have Cable do that too here, but that didn't seem like his thing really in the comics.

Though FWIW, the Watcher being seen would possibly point to him viewing a branch that will later be pruned after someone does time travel.

Cable from the original show was generally going back in time to stop someone else loving with time. Kind of like Kyle Reese, but without having to bang anybody. Sometimes he was trying to fight Apocalypse but there was one two-parter where it brought him into conflict with Bishop.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FlamingLiberal posted:

This wouldn't even be the first time this show (counting the original series) made it seem like Magneto was dead. I'm not buying it until we see a body.

They established early on that that laser beam doesn't leave bodies, just vaporizes you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm going to guess that Sinister is involved somehow, I remember reading interviews that talked him and his role in the series up, and we've only seen him once so far, but he's got that scene in the intro.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He was protecting Rogue and he went Super Saiyan, that's the power of love baby.

That or an allusion to how, in the comics, his powers are basically firing on a single cylinder because they were once completely out of control and way too dangerous. Also they gave him time travel powers because of course.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, he had part of his brain cut out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It stabbed him because it wanted to look at him, the lasers just vaporize people and it clearly wanted to have Gambit as a bug in a collection.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When I was a kid, I thought his name was Apoca Lips and he got it because of his weird mouth.

I really admired his stylish belt buckle, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Did they do Age of Apocalypse in the original series? Because I would like Age of Apocalypse, please. It's what got me into comics to begin with.

Put it in whatever time travel shenanigans, with Bishop, like the original.

Sort of kind of, there was a time travel story where Xavier died before he could found the X-Men. But it wasn't the Age of Apocalypse, it was a dystopia where mutants and humans were at war.

e;fb

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Does anybody watch this with an actual kid? I think we’re forgetting the pacing is meant for 8 year old attention spans. We may all just be miscalibrated.

This episode was tv14 so I don't think it's aimed at 8-year-olds? Maybe teenagers. But I feel like the target audience really is people who were kids when the original show aired. And yeah, the original show was paced like this too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lammasu posted:

With Gambit gone who is going to make me want to gently caress dudes?

Have you considered that maybe this was the deal they struck with Ron DeSantis?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

vote_no posted:

I thought it was actually more probative; you know, “the records show you have a kid and yet I don’t see your kid and you seem messed up about it. There’s no records of anything happening to your kid. What did you do to your kid, man? Oh, you sent him through a portal to the future?”

When he said they don't have any kids, I think a normal person who knew what she did would read that as him saying that his kid was dead and he really didn't want to talk about it. Trish was clearly trying to provoke him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't really think we need more incest TV shows, personally. I don't care if they're a cartoon or not

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Apples were definitely not ten dollars in Wakanda.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soonmot posted:

that was the only part that rang false to me. No way does Exodus dance.

He was a knight in the Crusades, how was he going to woo fair damsels without dancing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think they should have Cable use time travel to save Gambit, and then have a long scene explaining that he was at Genosha back in season 1 specifically to spring Gambit from prison, and that's why he didn't help anyone else in that episode. And that in the future Gambit will do something to save young Cable, and so on and so on. This show doesn't have enough convoluted exposition or bullshit time loops to give me that real 90s X-Men feel.